AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-11-06, 19:39   Link #301
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
Well I just beat it and while I agree it's quite shorter than most would expect, the experience as a whole wasn't bad and the whole nostalgic vibe it gives off with the stages and soundtracks you can unlock makes it even better.

However I must say the Super Sonic final boss fight was extremely disappointing....I'd even go so far as to say out of all the super sonic final boss stages in the history of the Sonic the hedgehog series that this one was lacking the most and that's a huge shame.
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-06, 22:02   Link #302
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
So basically, you're going by ratings instead of playing the games and experiencing them for yourself? There's something seriously wrong with that.
Why? Usually if a game get a rating 8 or above across most media, it was a good game. I love games, but I'm not about to drop $50-$60 on games I not sure I'll enjoy. Demos only tells you so much, and lots of time they don't show you enough to make a purchase decision either. I spend enough on RPGs, sports, and action/FPS genre games as is. I own every JRPG there is to own on all major system since PS1 and there are enough series where it's no brainer for me to drop my money on it like FF, Assassin's Creed, Soul Edge/Calibur, Tekken, SF, MLB The Show, God of War, Uncharted, Metal Gear, etc.

And that's the point, Since Sonic Adventure, the next few Sonic games I purchased were disappointing and it drop Sonic out from my no-brainer purchase list.

As such I use ratings (from various sites and take the"common" good/bad, BTW) to make my decision on my non-hardcore purchase and Sonic has fallen into this category and the last few games wasn't rated that great for me to even bother.

With that being said, Sonic Generation is getting good enough review for me to get interested in Sonic again. In addition, I had fun with Episode 1 (which pretty reasonable priced. That is why I'm interest on what people think from the people who had played it.
Old 2011-11-06, 22:14   Link #303
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

The only problem is that reviewers are all human as well- differing beings with varying and biased opinions. You should be the one responsible for deciding on if you like a game or not, and how much you like it.

For example, Grand Theft Auto IV got near perfect scores over most mediums, and I can never see it past a 7/10. It's great, but it's also quite flawed for me, and even with the cheap price I've never planned to pick it up.

Another instance is Red Dead Redemption, which is widely viewed as amazing, and I can certainly agree it's great. However, I personally am not a fan of the Wild West settings for games, and the atmosphere didn't quite click for me. I can respect it being a solid game, but to me it just doesn't appeal to my interests.

I can understand with a franchise like Sonic that has had a severely split fanbase for quite some time in the recent years, you'd want to play it safe and look up reviews and whatnot, but eventually only you can tell yourself if you like it or not.

By the way, if you liked Episode 1, you should love Generations. Of course, that's up to you.
Old 2011-11-07, 12:36   Link #304
Undertaker

I completely agree with what you said but I never said that I based my decision solely on rating.

I only use rating are on games I'm not sure it i'll enjoy. It's a aid as reviews should be, but the the determining factor. (Otherwise I would be in this thread to begin with) Heck, I've being a devote Musou game player despite its mediocre rating in U.S.

The way I use it is that I would read 4-5 reviews on the games and only take the common ground. If 3 or 4 of them stated that the game camera is terrible, it's usually save to say that it is true.

Similarly I discard points that I know I don't mind. Take JRPGs for example, if the major knock on it was that the story is too linear, I take it as grant of salt. And since I like JRPG, it also means I would still be buying the game regardless of what I read in previews unless it is so bad that none of the previews can say a good thing about it, though I have yet to see such a game being treat it this way.
Old 2011-11-10, 03:33   Link #305
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Really loved this game, but a bit disappointed in a few aspects.

-Perfect Chaos wasn't a real boss fight, it was a glorified Modern Sonic only stage.
-Not happy with Planet Wisp. Wisps were a fun little gimmick in Colours but here they're a required annoyance. Also putting in Scrap Brain elements was a dumb idea, Launch Base elements would've fit better.
-Egg Dragoon is a dumb boss fight.
-Time Eater lives up to its name, a real long and tedious fight.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 06:06   Link #306
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
I completely agree with what you said but I never said that I based my decision solely on rating.

I only use rating are on games I'm not sure it i'll enjoy. It's a aid as reviews should be, but the the determining factor. (Otherwise I would be in this thread to begin with) Heck, I've being a devote Musou game player despite its mediocre rating in U.S.

The way I use it is that I would read 4-5 reviews on the games and only take the common ground. If 3 or 4 of them stated that the game camera is terrible, it's usually save to say that it is true.

Similarly I discard points that I know I don't mind. Take JRPGs for example, if the major knock on it was that the story is too linear, I take it as grant of salt. And since I like JRPG, it also means I would still be buying the game regardless of what I read in previews unless it is so bad that none of the previews can say a good thing about it, though I have yet to see such a game being treat it this way.
Oh jeez, I do apologize for my extended rant then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
Really loved this game, but a bit disappointed in a few aspects.

-Perfect Chaos wasn't a real boss fight, it was a glorified Modern Sonic only stage.
-Not happy with Planet Wisp. Wisps were a fun little gimmick in Colours but here they're a required annoyance. Also putting in Scrap Brain elements was a dumb idea, Launch Base elements would've fit better.
-Egg Dragoon is a dumb boss fight.
-Time Eater lives up to its name, a real long and tedious fight.
Yeah, Perfect Chaos wasn't really my cup of tea, as was Planet Wisp. I rather liked Egg Dragoon myself, despite how easy it was. And when you said the Time Eater took a long time to beat, I beat him in a minute fourty-two flat. I thought it was too damn short and anti-climactic.

My favourite boss was definitely Metal Sonic.
Old 2011-11-10, 12:26   Link #307
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

It's a shame about the boss fights. Plenty of room for improvements, which i hope to see happen for the next game. Whatever that might be.

Also quite surprised that the side missions aren't all that much trouble. Well, Amy's hammer mission was a bit annoying.
Old 2011-11-10, 19:35   Link #308
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

While not directly related to Generations, I thought this was cool enough to warrant a post here since it's Sonic related. It features stage BGM that changes depending on whether or not Sonic's performance is good or bad and moves to a later section of music as the level progresses forward:

Apparently SEGA's working on doing something like this with future Sonic titles and it is implemented already a little bit in Generations. It'd be awesome to see this pulled off in a more complex way in the future like in the video above.
Old 2011-11-10, 23:39   Link #309
Shadow5YA

Wait, so is that fanmade?
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 23:45   Link #310
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Wait, so is that fanmade?
Yeah, but he made it as a project for his college assignment to take a game sequence and compose new music for it. His choice was, as you can see, Sonic Unleashed's Rooftop Run level.

So this guy will most likely have a career composing game BGM in the not-too-far future. Just cause of this video I wouldn't mind SEGA hiring him onto their sound team.~
Old 2011-11-11, 16:33   Link #311
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
Usually if a game get a rating 8 or above across most media, it was a good game.
It's still an ambiguous number at the end of the day.
Quote:
I love games, but I'm not about to drop $50-$60 on games I not sure I'll enjoy.
Of course not. But who says you have to drop $50-$60 on them? You're not obligated to buy video games at release. I know I don't, unless there's a pre-order bonus or limited edition and/or I really want the game as soon as possible.

Wait for the price to drop. I bought all my Wii Sonic games at €20 a pop.
Quote:
In addition, I had fun with Episode 1 (which pretty reasonable priced. That is why I'm interest on what people think from the people who had played it.
Many Sonic fans didn't enjoy Sonic 4: Episode I, if only because it's not a real Sonic 4. It's more like a Sonic Rush 3 with a homing attack gimmick. Sonic Generations's classic levels are a much, much better approximation of classic Sonic gameplay and physics.

Last edited by Benoit; 2011-11-11 at 16:44.
Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 14:23   Link #312
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

So in celebration of Sonic's 20th anniversary a Hatsune Miku cover of Live & Learn was made. Honestly out of all the songs from Sonic I thought Miku could do a cover of, Live & Learn was not one of them.

Also included in the video is a picture of Miku done by SEGA's Sonic artist Yuji Uekawa. Pretty cool if I say so myself.~
Old 2011-11-19, 12:18   Link #313
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

omg Live and Learn...so good.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 16:45   Link #314
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
So in celebration of Sonic's 20th anniversary a Hatsune Miku cover of Live & Learn was made. Honestly out of all the songs from Sonic I thought Miku could do a cover of, Live & Learn was not one of them.

Also included in the video is a picture of Miku done by SEGA's Sonic artist Yuji Uekawa. Pretty cool if I say so myself.~
That picture...are we going to run into some PETA trouble again? xD
Old 2011-11-20, 09:33   Link #315
Player
Sorcerer of Awesome

Send a message via MSN to Player
Okay, so, I played and beat the game. I have to say some parts were better than I expected, while others were worse.

The main boss fights all felt too short and easy. Perfect Chaos, while being mainly more of a stage than a boss fight, was quite fun, in my opinion. Death Egg Robot was okay, but more puzzle-y. And Egg Dragoon was repeating EXACT SAME THING every time. Time Eater was tedious and predictable, BUT in hard mode he was quite fun and challenging, so I'm okay with that.

The Rival Battles took the "best battle" crown. Metal Sonic was slightly meh, but he had a few things to keep me entretained. Shadow was outright badass, so was Silver.

The plot was simplistic, as expected, but it worked nicely. I also liked the music and the looks of the stages. I pretty much loved every stage, except for Sky Sanctuary, Seaside Hill and Planet Wisp. (Wisps were indeed an annoying and unnecessary obligation.)

Overall, a nice game, but:

1) They should make it longer.
2) Work on the boss fights.
3) They need to cut down on the 2D sections of Modern Sonic. I'm not saying remove them altogether, but seriously, why the hell did we have Classic Sonic if you're adding so much 2D areas for Modern?
4) A better plot. As nice as the lighthearted, joke-filled plots of Colors and Generations were, I like the plots when they're slightly more serious.

Overall: 8/10.
Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 10:45   Link #316
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

THAT F******** CRISIS CITY!!!

anyway impression so far
generally good. i can why most of sonic fan chose this as their favorite sonic game. C!sonic gameplay is feel outdated to me and generally much harder to control. M!sonic is more fun and easier since you have lot of technique to use. generally i prefer M!sonic (since i am post-playstation gamer). even then both of them is fun to play and C!sonic feel fresh to play

Level design is FANTASTIC! i probably will play over just to see available path and find unlockable. definitively have alot replaceable value consider the number of challenge it have. thought most of them can be annoying.

graphic thank to art direction is colorful and wonderful. the music is good thought by some reason i feel it can be improve.

i am only part where you to finish challenge to get 3 key for 3rd boss

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
platformer