AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-16, 02:11   Link #1
David Watts
Stay Free

Send a message via MSN to David Watts
Need a manga recommendation

Im trying to get into manga but I never really know what to choose
Im looking for you know the pedigrees of the art form
Old 2011-08-16, 02:49   Link #2
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

First, we need to know the genre that you’re looking for (slice-of-life, heavy-drama, gun-blazing action, mecha action, fighting action, fantasy, mystery, school life, etc) coz there are literally millions of manga out there.

Okay I’ll give you some genre examples: Shaman King & Beelzebub (fantasy, fighting-action, supernatural), Vagabond (samurai flick), Slam Dunk (sport), GTO (shounen, action, drama, school-life) and Little House with an Orange Roof (slice-of-life, mature rom-com). The drawing of those are easy on the eyes of the beginners. DO NOT start with series like Hunter x Hunter, Naruto or D. Gray-man. The artworks will gouge the inexperienced eyeballs out. LOL

Those are just examples. Tell us when you've made your mind about the genre you like.

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2011-08-16 at 03:04.
Old 2011-08-16, 02:52   Link #3
jedinat

Angel Densetsu
Dear Mine
Emma
Kanata Kara
Kiseijuu
Gokusen
Ranma 1/2
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Yotsubato!

Those are some of the best of the best. All completed.

If you're reading manga online, or with windows picture viewer, or using some lesser manga-specific viewer... stop that. Use this: Hamana
Old 2011-08-17, 00:26   Link #4
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

The pinnacles of manga vary depending on the genre, and there's a lot. What types are you looking for?
Old 2011-08-17, 04:20   Link #5
GreatTeacherKen

Maybe you can start with the manga versions of the anime you like.
Old 2011-09-09, 03:53   Link #6
David Watts
Stay Free

Well I am not looking for anything specific I just happen to stop by the manga section in the bookstore and I can never tell whats worth reading
I am up for pretty much anything romance comedy action drama as long as its well written its fine by me
However i am not looking for any series that are like One piece and naruto
Old 2011-09-09, 05:00   Link #7
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Well I am not looking for anything specific I just happen to stop by the manga section in the bookstore and I can never tell whats worth reading
I am up for pretty much anything romance comedy action drama as long as its well written its fine by me
However i am not looking for any series that are like One piece and naruto
I'm not sure whether these 2 statements are contradictory if you don't clearly define what 'well-written' means. One Piece has probably one of the best (if not the best at least) writing in plot, and Naruto pretty good in the action parts. But if you want something more brainy and hooking, try Death Note.
Old 2011-09-09, 06:09   Link #8
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

If you have no genre in mind, check out a manga called Otoyome-Gatari.

I was curious when a friend called it "as perfect as a manga can be". Read it. And he was damn right
Old 2011-09-09, 06:57   Link #9
OtakuAsh
Otaku Queen

I dont read manga that much but when i do read it, it has to be good. What kind of genre are you looking for?
Old 2011-09-09, 09:28   Link #10
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

I recommend Urasawa Naoki's Pluto. It is a magnificent sci-fi story about intelligent robots and the social issues they face after being granted liberty. The story is gripping and intense and the art is incredibly well-detailed. It's also complete so you don't have to worry about following it during its publishing run.
Old 2011-09-12, 01:37   Link #11
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

Quote:
Im trying to get into manga but I never really know what to choose
Im looking for you know the pedigrees of the art form
Ika Musume's manga is pretty funny, though reading that you might get ahead of the anime if you're planning to watch it. If you've watched Angel Beats, the Angel Beats manga (Heaven's gate for chibi laughs and the prequel story) is also a good read. You need to know a bit of the characters first so having watched the anime is better.

The K-On manga is already pretty amusing though the anime in this case is better

For action, Yu Yu Hakusho is not bad (Final arc drags a bit) and Ironfist Chinmi is just as good if not better. Both have finished and you don't have to wait to read them all. Claymore is also a good series though it is still continuing.

If you have the maturity to handle raging objectively and can ignore the constant fan service, Freezing is also a good one

Another one where it helps if you can handle fan service is Sora no Otoshimono. Very funny and touching (though it looks nothing the sort initially). Its better than the anime in several instances

3 others that i find good currently are Hyakuen!, D-Frag! and Poor Poor?, all comedic in their own way with Poor Poor being a 4 koma and the other 2 being more normal arc based

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2011-09-16 at 04:26. Reason: Quote removed!
Old 2011-09-16, 04:28   Link #12
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Let's stick to posting suggestions guys. For any other specific discussion, the corresponding threads should be used.
Old 2011-09-16, 05:48   Link #13
calorie

Okay, I can see where you're coming from - I too had a similar problem, everything just seemed too childish and not too easy on the eyes at first.

While I don't have much experience (yet) either, these are some titles I'd highly recommend, one thing they have in common is consistent, high quality art:

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
A true slice-of-life manga set in a post-apocalyptic future that however isn't barren or cyberpunk but actually a world still brimming with gorgeous landscapes, except the surviving people are few and far in between; the story follows the journey of a laid-back, gentle female android called Alpha and her impressions on nature, humanity and life in general.

Claymore
Shounen action-adventure manga about the conflict of Youma, a race of demonic predators who haunt the human society and the only viable defense against them - Half-Youma Half-Human two-handed sword wielding female warriors called Claymores. Good pacing, excellent combat scenes, no fillers and a surprisingly good storyline.

Emma
A romance story that follows the life and struggles of a maid who falls in love with an upper class young man. Set in 19th century England, with incredible attention to detail and tolerable dose of melodrama. Does a great job at portraying the life in that age from both the view of the gentry and the lower class citizens.
Old 2011-09-19, 14:42   Link #14
jdennis007

Love Hina
It is the pinnacle of the harem genre the male protagonist is not completely useless, he does do a competent job as the manager and is actually a good repairman, also he is an actual man. The writer has respect for his characters and evolves them over time, some elements of it are fantasy and others are quite real.
Old 2011-09-19, 15:12   Link #15
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Record of a fallen vampire: the pinnacle of manga for me, nuff said. If that's not enough though, it has an intricate plot and very deep characters. Chapters: 44 - complete.
Until Death Do Us Part: Blind samurai (dude @ my sig) saves precog girl and becomes her bodyguard. Now he has to protect her from the hands of the underworld... 122 chapters - ongoing, bimonthly. If you like this, take a look at Jesus.
Onani Master Kurosawa: school life comedy/SoL manga, it sure has an interesting approach to things... 31 chapters - complete.
Berserk: one of the more popular manga, while its story is very good, it features scenes of explicit violence, nudity and gore, and updates slow as hell. You've been warned...it's still awesome though. Chapters: 292 - ongoing, biweekly.
Air Gear: Manga about kids on super-rollers called air trek that can almost fly, gives off an air of confidence, and OG!'s art comes a long way to support it. 300 chapters - ongoing, weekly.
Bambino: cooking manga about a young man trying to become a chef in italian cuisine. 128 chapters - ongoing, weekly.
Medaka Box: difficult to sort, but it's very fun if you don't take it too seriously. 113 chapters - ongoing, weekly.
The world god only knows: romance (harem) manga, it's about a dating sim nerd who is forced to capture the hearts of real girls in order to keep his life and save the world. Very funny and very touching at the same time. 128 chapters - ongoing, weekly.
Yureka: It's a manhwa, but I don't have a manga for this kind of plot...it's about a group of friends playing a net game, I found it very well-made and the plot has started to thicken lately. 201 chapters - ongoing, irregular release.
xxxHOLIC: Young man who can see ghosts comes across a wish-granting shop owned by a witch who then employs him as an assistant. 213 chapters - ongoing, weekly(?).
Rosario+Vampire - Kinda like Mx0 in that the lead is hiding in a supernatural den but involves a harem, is longer and far darker. Part II is epicness on paper.

If you don't mind old-school drawing style, do check out KKOW! and Angel Densetsu, they're probably the best deliquent manga ever made.

Last edited by Kafriel; 2011-10-29 at 04:44.
Old 2011-09-28, 22:57   Link #16
David Watts
Stay Free

Well thanks guys for all the helpful recommendations I will check them out
hopefully the bookstores have some of em. ( I don't care for reading stuff on a computer screen unless I have to)

Last edited by David Watts; 2011-09-28 at 23:12. Reason: for clarification
Old 2011-09-28, 23:03   Link #17
jedinat

Quote:
I don't care for reading stuff online unless I have to
You don't read them online. You download them and read them on something like this. Or perhaps even better, if you have a tablet and an appropriate app, you read them on that.
Old 2011-09-29, 02:11   Link #18
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

Quote:
Well thanks guys for all the helpful recommendations I will check them out
hopefully the bookstores have some of em. ( I don't care for reading stuff on a computer screen unless I have to)
Definitely support your position on getting them from bookstores if available. The good manga deserves monetary support. If however your bookstore has no return within 3 days policy, you can try reading only the first book online to gauge if its something you like then get the res from the bookstore.

This way it saves you money and focuses your support for those that you find good.
Closed Thread