Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2015-01-23, 21:08   Link #35501
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Pick an earlier start date imo, and someone should turn Ironman off so when we inevitably cock it up we can just reload or cheat!

And we gotta make sure to download the 'No AIDS' patch and install the 'No ISIS' mod. Also, input the "Putin dies of massive heart attack just days after being elected" cheat code.
Old 2015-01-23, 22:30   Link #35502
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Majority of the public thinks that the two hostages brought it upon themselves since Japanese diplomats are not in Syria.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2015-01-23, 22:47   Link #35503
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Wow, that's kinda harsh. Even if they did act recklessly they don't deserve to be murdered for it.
Old 2015-01-24, 00:45   Link #35504
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I'm trying to remember, what was the old Japanese way of dealing with one of there own being captured by an enemy?
Old 2015-01-24, 02:03   Link #35505
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I'm trying to remember, what was the old Japanese way of dealing with one of there own being captured by an enemy?
Nothing, because Medieval Japan didn't have a culture of ransom. If you are captured you are assumed to be dead. Of course there are historical cases of certain important people who are kept alive for the benefit of the hostage taker, but generally "taken alive" was not something you expect to happen in Ye Olde Japan.
Old 2015-01-24, 03:20   Link #35506
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Quote:
Wow, that's kinda harsh. Even if they did act recklessly they don't deserve to be murdered for it.
Public is divided, but most agree that what they did was dangerous and Tokyo warned them they won't get help in Syria. It's the same with Shosei Koda.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2015-01-24, 03:51   Link #35507
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Nothing, because Medieval Japan didn't have a culture of ransom. If you are captured you are assumed to be dead. Of course there are historical cases of certain important people who are kept alive for the benefit of the hostage taker, but generally "taken alive" was not something you expect to happen in Ye Olde Japan.

That is what I though.

I wonder if modern Japan will take that stance against the ISIS. Basically if they take Japanese, they get nothing because whoever they take is already considered dead. You can't threated money over the dead.
Old 2015-01-24, 04:15   Link #35508
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

http://news.yahoo.com/deadline-isis-...opstories.html

The mother of one of the hostages pleads with ISIS to release him.

Old 2015-01-24, 05:32   Link #35509
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post

Poor woman. It is no use. She is pleading with a group of people who are some of the evilest pieces of shit the world has ever seen.
Old 2015-01-24, 06:59   Link #35510
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
The general response is, "It's one thing if criminals came to Japan and kidnapped people, (like North Korea) but it's another thing if they went to a warzone themselves and got in trouble."

It's not very sympathetic, but basically "we ain't paying 200 million bucks for people who chose to go to somewhere dangerous"

Not that I agree with it, but I can understand the sentiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post

Ehh....

She didn't do much pleading, she started babbling about ideologies that has NOTHING to do with the situation (like "no more nuclear plants!") completely incoherently then left the stage with a big smile on her face.
I didn't really get a "pleading mother" impression, more of a "ohkay.... well that was nutty".

It feels like she attempted to "use" the situation to send messages on her ideology, but completely failed to be coherent.
Old 2015-01-24, 14:46   Link #35511
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Wait, she went to speak out about her son being held as a hostage by ISIS, and babbled about being anti-nuclear energy? smh lol...

Besides, people shouldn't be anti-nuclear energy. I just find a lot of them jump on a bandwagon and don't have a lot of their facts straight. For decades, there were no good alternatives and the alternatives were dirtier and worse for the environment, and even today, choosing alternative types of energy plants are not perfect, either. Also, nuclear power plants have done well to give people the energy we need in modern societies.
Old 2015-01-24, 18:35   Link #35512
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
BANGWEULU WETLANDS, Zambia — Out here on the endless swamps, a harsh truth has been passed down from generation to generation: There is no fear but the fear of hunger.
With that always weighing on his mind, Mwewa Ndefi gets up at dawn, just as the first orange rays of sun are beginning to spear through the papyrus reeds, and starts to unclump a mosquito net.
Nets like his are widely considered a magic bullet against malaria — one of the cheapest and most effective ways to stop a disease that kills at least half a million Africans each year. But Mr. Ndefi and countless others are not using their mosquito nets as global health experts have intended.
Nobody in his hut, including his seven children, sleeps under a net at night. Instead, Mr. Ndefi has taken his family’s supply of anti-malaria nets and sewn them together into a gigantic sieve that he uses to drag the bottom of the swamp ponds, sweeping up all sorts of life: baby catfish, banded tilapia, tiny mouthbrooders, orange fish eggs, water bugs and the occasional green frog.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/25/wo...hing.html?_r=0

i am beginning to come to the idea that the best thing for Africa is to leave it alone to solve its own problems. Every time someone goes in trying to help, usually end up creating even more problems.
Old 2015-01-24, 20:21   Link #35513
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Word out there is that Yukawa, one of the hostages (and the so-called merc) was executed by ISIS fighters. Tokyo's still trying to confirm if ISIS is telling the truth.

Old 2015-01-24, 20:21   Link #35514
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i am beginning to come to the idea that the best thing for Africa is to leave it alone to solve its own problems. Every time someone goes in trying to help, usually end up creating even more problems.
Well in their defence, if you are starving and they gave you nets, you use the nets to catch food. Food, shelter, then everything else in that order. Why should he care about malaria if his family was already dying of starvation?
Old 2015-01-24, 21:36   Link #35515
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Well in their defence, if you are starving and they gave you nets, you use the nets to catch food. Food, shelter, then everything else in that order. Why should he care about malaria if his family was already dying of starvation?
i am not blaming the fisherman but fish stock being depleted is a result of another unintended consequences of trying to "help Africa."
Old 2015-01-24, 23:20   Link #35516
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Umm...this is a minor problem next to malaria...hell it doesn't even qualify as a problem in the eyes of many
Old 2015-01-24, 23:41   Link #35517
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

PM Abe is sure one of the hostages is killed by ISIS fighters.

Old 2015-01-25, 00:06   Link #35518
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

If ISIS appears to want a prisoner swap now involving that Iraqi woman detained in Jordan for the last 10 years, here's what I hope coalition countries will do: rig the woman with explosives inside her body and unbeknownst to her, make the swap deal, and then detonate the device to kill as many of those fuckers as possible when the second hostage is away and safe.

I'm sorry to sound blood thirsty, but it's about time coalition countries give the bastards a genuine sucker punch after everything they have done.

Last edited by KiraYamatoFan; 2015-01-25 at 00:19.
Old 2015-01-25, 02:06   Link #35519
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
If ISIS appears to want a prisoner swap now involving that Iraqi woman detained in Jordan for the last 10 years, here's what I hope coalition countries will do: rig the woman with explosives inside her body and unbeknownst to her, make the swap deal, and then detonate the device to kill as many of those fuckers as possible when the second hostage is away and safe.

I'm sorry to sound blood thirsty, but it's about time coalition countries give the bastards a genuine sucker punch after everything they have done.
They are bound by the Geneva convention. If they do that the ramifications will be great in the future.

If they want, the more sinister method would be to misdrop rations containing pork into their territory using drones, then declare flight path error.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2015-01-25, 02:31   Link #35520
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I recall after the first Gulf War with Iraqi there were songs about dropping bacon bombs and carpet bombing with lard across the region. Just to see what would happen.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international