AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-10-11, 23:12   Link #201
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Vexx that analogy is just great and I agree with .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Find the person's auto-messaging system (AIM, MSN, etc, etc) get web-cam and bam unless you are shy of showing your face to strangers online.
If you're scared to show your face, then just use voice as there are things like skype with just voice chat rather than video chat .
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-11, 23:58   Link #202
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
lol I use Facebook (I joined when it was nearly hopeless to find someone who uses YM...) or YM
Old 2010-10-13, 18:36   Link #203
bloppyblue
SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!!!

Quote:
Find the person's auto-messaging system (AIM, MSN, etc, etc) get web-cam and bam unless you are shy of showing your face to strangers online.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
If you're scared to show your face, then just use voice as there are things like skype with just voice chat rather than video chat .
Just doesn't give that same exhilarating feeling of going insane while debating with your friends xD (Just had a huge war with my friend on whether traveling back in time is possible... If only she watched anime!)

I'd love to be able to share with a lot more anime fans. A lot of the obvious ones at my school are too shy/snobby to talk to, too "uneducated" on anything beyond the typical popular ones, or hide their power levels too well. I have a feeling anime club is gonna be full of painfully shy and quiet fans or fangirls...
bloppyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-13, 18:54   Link #204
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloppyblue View Post
I'd love to be able to share with a lot more anime fans. A lot of the obvious ones at my school are too shy/snobby to talk to, too "uneducated" on anything beyond the typical popular ones, or hide their power levels too well. I have a feeling anime club is gonna be full of painfully shy and quiet fans or fangirls...
Almost all new members for Anime Clubs start off pretty shy here, about 3/4~4/5 of them do, but like me most of them have been become gradually less shy around others in the club as they spent more time with it.
MAL
Old 2010-10-14, 00:25   Link #205
grandchaosSR
Servant of the Void

I have dozens of friends who are into anime. I even know some jocks who watches more anime shows than me. I guess anime is a normal hobby in an asian country like the Philippines...
grandchaosSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-14, 06:24   Link #206
Ballad
robots & skateboards

Quote:
A lot of the obvious ones at my school are too shy/snobby to talk to, too "uneducated" on anything beyond the typical popular ones, or hide their power levels too well. I have a feeling anime club is gonna be full of painfully shy and quiet fans or fangirls...
Oh goodness, I agree with you. It'd be so cool to talk about anything anime with anyone at my school but the people who watch it are so bad at hiding their power level or basically anything less than being retarded, it's scary. An anime club at my school would be full of crazy people who the social population agrees to not really look down upon, but not take seriously. So anime clubs at my school for the most part would equal social suicide. Not that I myself mind what people think of it, but when it's killing your social image AND the people are crazy, it's not really worth it.
Ballad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-14, 11:26   Link #207
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica

Quote:
or hide their power levels too well
I LOL'd at this, this is so true in my experience, I know some people who are like that.
Old 2010-10-14, 23:29   Link #208
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
lol I use Facebook (I joined when it was nearly hopeless to find someone who uses YM...) or YM
Me personally.. I dont like Facebook... Never used it, never will... I get asked what my facebook is by alot of people, but I just tell them that I have none
Old 2010-10-15, 00:02   Link #209
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Me personally.. I dont like Facebook... Never used it, never will... I get asked what my facebook is by alot of people, but I just tell them that I have none
I never had one until earlier this year over the summer, but few persistent friends got me to get one, but I don't not really sure I use it enough to justify having it , seriously I use it about once every two weeks or so .
MAL
Old 2010-10-15, 16:28   Link #210
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

A lonely hobby, eh? I think that might be true, but it all depends on the person, after all.

Otaku are everywhere in the world, but they are also always minority, that's why we can't really talk about our hobby openly. There are even numerous segmentation between otakus, right? some people like moe, while the other one like mecha, and so on. I believe this applies to the other hobbies too, not limited only to otaku.
Ryonea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 10:53   Link #211
bloppyblue
SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!!!

My friend and I were gonna start an anime club at our high school. Another friend and his friends were going to as well. Unfortunately, these couple of girls started it before us.

So here I am with a couple friends thinking, "Oh wow! This is a perfect chance to chat with other people about great anime, play some awesome Street Fighter together, and discover great series I haven't heard of before!"

During our club fair, I walk over to see the anime board.
The anime on display: Naruto, Inuyasha, Cardcaptor Sakura, Fruits Basket, Full Metal Alch(e)mist, and D Grey-Man.

My inner snob is coming out. I'm fearful. But I'll go anyways, haha. Just cause the staff doesn't share the same sort of interest in anime as I do doesn't mean the club won't!
bloppyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 16:33   Link #212
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
My friend and I were gonna start an anime club at our high school. Another friend and his friends were going to as well. Unfortunately, these couple of girls started it before us.

So here I am with a couple friends thinking, "Oh wow! This is a perfect chance to chat with other people about great anime, play some awesome Street Fighter together, and discover great series I haven't heard of before!"

During our club fair, I walk over to see the anime board.
The anime on display: Naruto, Inuyasha, Cardcaptor Sakura, Fruits Basket, Full Metal Alch(e)mist, and D Grey-Man.

My inner snob is coming out. I'm fearful. But I'll go anyways, haha. Just cause the staff doesn't share the same sort of interest in anime as I do doesn't mean the club won't!
Are they talking about Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood? Or the previous version of Fullmetal Alchemist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryonea View Post
A lonely hobby, eh? I think that might be true, but it all depends on the person, after all.

Otaku are everywhere in the world, but they are also always minority, that's why we can't really talk about our hobby openly. There are even numerous segmentation between otakus, right? some people like moe, while the other one like mecha, and so on. I believe this applies to the other hobbies too, not limited only to otaku.
Yep, and the anime "Ore no Imouto" brings up a possible discussion between 2 otakus
Old 2010-10-16, 17:15   Link #213
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Yep, and the anime "Ore no Imouto" brings up a possible discussion between 2 otakus
Yeah, that episode shows us even if we meet an otaku with different taste, it's a relief to meet one XD
Ryonea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 17:29   Link #214
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryonea View Post
Yeah, that episode shows us even if we meet an otaku with different taste, it's a relief to meet one XD
Defiantly , even if the discussion may involve.... Some very scary threats to the opposing side (otaku vs otaku) its still a friendly chat between the two to finally talk about animes, and finally let out all the things they always wanted to chat with another person about an anime
Old 2010-10-18, 21:23   Link #215
OtakuLuna13
Dumb Burnette

Honestly, I only discuss anime with other anime people, so it doesn't feel like a lonely hobby.

For example, since I'm dirt poor, I have to go to the library to get some new manga material. And while I'm there, there is usually someone else there, reading manga on the floor, or I can't find the freakin volume I want, which reminds me that I'm not the only person who reads manga.

And Anime cons. Those places are the greatest places on Earth for me. (I have no life. ) They're fun, and I can discuss games and anime with other, living people, and they won't look at me like I'm on something.

Thank god I have friends who actually go to the cons with me though. I'm too shy to go alone. (That just contradicted my entire post, didn't it? )
OtakuLuna13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-18, 21:47   Link #216
secretzfan
*Fansubber

You know at a time it did feel like a lonely hobby, but now that I have joined anime club it doesn't feel so lonely anymore
Old 2010-10-20, 17:32   Link #217
legonut3
I BELIEVE IN HERVEY DENT!

I would have to agree that watching Anime is not one of the most popular things to do in America. I only know some people who have even heard of shows like Bleach, and they say "is that the japanese thing?".
I watch shows that that you really wouldn't want to have others around you, like Persona: Trinity Soul and Elfen Lied. I believe that some animes have a very profound meaning behind the cartoon animation, which many people stop at and think: this is a kids show.
some endings to shows like Code Geass make me cry, in which I would not do in front of my friends. Anime also makes me very depressed sometimes, but I like it.

Do you stain you hands with evil to destroy evil, or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to the evil? - Code Geass
legonut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 18:31   Link #218
CMSensei
Formerly -> CMHerrera
*Graphic Designer

At lunch I sit with a whole group of anime fans with mostly the same tastes as I do , and I joined this forum so I am not lonely.
I understand why it could be a lonely hobby but most of the people around me accept it.

CM-san's Mystical Creations

"The one who can win
against me, is me!"

- Daiki Aomine
CMSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-21, 15:19   Link #219
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtakuLuna13 View Post
For example, since I'm dirt poor, I have to go to the library to get some new manga material. And while I'm there, there is usually someone else there, reading manga on the floor, or I can't find the freakin volume I want, which reminds me that I'm not the only person who reads manga.
Since I often go for a quick peek into book shops or shops that specialize in manga I often run into people there, but they always seem to be scared of me D: Despite me always smiling to strangers.

I'm really thankful that two of my closest friends are anime fans as well so we occasionally watch something together or plan a whole night with self made sushi. We do talk often about it, too. Just the other day we bickered about the hottest guy in Bleach . Fangirling to the max.

An ex co-worker is a big fan, too. He has such a freaking big collection! His whole bedroom wall is full of books and mangas. His living room is invaded by a shitload of DVDs and games. He even has a little cabinet for his figurines, of course with light! Oh and he has a Katana on display, too!
He also introduced me to his friends who are gamers and/or anime lovers as well, so I'm pretty lucky since I know quite a few people in my proximity who share my hobby.

But I was always the lone girl in my class who loved games and later anime back at school

But even so I know many people who love anime as much as I do (or even way more) the shows we like differ a lot. Or they're just not as invested in that particular series as much as I am. That's when the internet and boards like animesuki come in handy

So I do watch most of my anime alone and discuss most of them online only, but I gotta say that anime doesn't have to be a lonely hobby. If you're lucky that is.
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-24, 09:48   Link #220
meko

I find anime to be a pretty lonely hobby, but it is mainly because I don't like the quality of the people I meet who profess they enjoy anime.

I've never felt proud about being friends with another anime fan. Shame is more accurate ...

There's also the problem of most anime fans being relatively talentless (can you draw? can you write? can you compose music? can you animate? are you an expert in something other than anime?) thus difficult to collaborate in doing fun things other than watch/read anime/manga.

Watching anime is nice, but I like to produce things in response too.
meko is offline   Reply With Quote