Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-04-09, 01:03   Link #21
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-ModXStream...3951115&sr=8-1

Comes in 600 and 700W versions. It's modular and 80PLUS certified. Your CPU uses a bit more juice than mine (my Core i5 has a 95W TDP and your Phenom II is 125W) but your GPU uses a lot less, so the 600W should be sufficient. The 700W is $90 if you want the extra headroom, but I wouldn't bother.
Old 2012-04-09, 08:46   Link #22
liquidmetal
procrastinating...

What is your budget? And are other things important to you like it being modular?

As people said the most important thing on a psu is the wattage on the 12V rails. If you look at the images on Newegg for the Antec psu you linked, the combined 12V rails is 444W.

Its a decent psu and will be fine for what you have but if you ever think of upgrading I would recommend this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817207013

It has 528W on the 12V rail and has a lot of good reviews around the net, with it being made by Seasonic. Only problem is that it is not modular. Also the XFX warranty is supposed to be decent in the states.
liquidmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 09:21   Link #23
spikexp

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-ModXStream...3951115&sr=8-1

Comes in 600 and 700W versions. It's modular and 80PLUS certified. Your CPU uses a bit more juice than mine (my Core i5 has a 95W TDP and your Phenom II is 125W) but your GPU uses a lot less, so the 600W should be sufficient. The 700W is $90 if you want the extra headroom, but I wouldn't bother.
At that price, I would spend a little more to get a seasonic 620watts or a corsair tx650 v2...
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 22:23   Link #24
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Thank you everyone for your help. My budget is about $100, around $110 is just fine. I'd draw the line at $120 for price of the hardware and shipping combined. I don't want to go up to there or higher. I don't know the benefits of a modular PSU, btw.

So, I may have a motherboard problem (just saying it is possible). First, I have to make sure my PSU is actually dead or not. I should go to a computer shop and have them see if my PSU is dead or not. I just hope they don't charge much for such a simple thing. I can only get that service at an independently owned computer shop, huh? Not at a Staples, by any chance? I just don't know any computer shops nearby. I'll look around my area for one. The closest one is probably 20 minutes away, maybe even 30 minutes away.

Also, I think I know what killed the PSU. I have a speaker set that is USB powered. So I hit the shut down icon on my computer and it started to shut down, I turned off the monitor, and then I unplugged the USB powered speaker. I didn't really pay attention, so I don't know if the computer just quit right then. I got up and walked away and when I went to the computer the next day, it wouldn't start. I think the PSU died and shut off the computer before it fully shut down.

Someone at another board recommended this PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139020

Would that be a good buy? Good quality and reliability and has everything I need (after posting this I'll go see how it compares to the dead PSU for connectors and 12V rails). I can read some of the reviews, too, but should I bother with a PSU with 4 out of 5 for a rating (rated 205 times) or would it be best to only buy a PSU with a 5 out of 5 rating and many reviews (200+ reviews)? Is that just being over concerned with a small thing? XD
Old 2012-04-09, 23:18   Link #25
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/1194

Just do this, it's free and anyone can do it. And don't worry, it's safe.. I suspect that the shop you'd take it to would charge quite a lot for even such simple task as this but the one above will tell you instantly whether it's dead or not.

Alternatively you could buy a power supply tester which is like $10 and you could need in the future too, but then again .. The above method is still free. But if you'd rather take it to a shop than do the above, then rather buy a PSU tester that will definitely come cheaper than taking it to a shop. Most likely they will use a PSU tester there anyway and charge you $50 for that ..

Also personally I wouldn't buy any Corsair PSU's. Too many threads about dead PSU with Corsair in the rig.
Old 2012-04-10, 01:31   Link #26
iceyfw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Someone at another board recommended this PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139020

Would that be a good buy? Good quality and reliability and has everything I need (after posting this I'll go see how it compares to the dead PSU for connectors and 12V rails). I can read some of the reviews, too, but should I bother with a PSU with 4 out of 5 for a rating (rated 205 times) or would it be best to only buy a PSU with a 5 out of 5 rating and many reviews (200+ reviews)? Is that just being over concerned with a small thing? XD
seasonic 620w psu. choose semi-modular or non-modular. or choose the 520w version

also i would not take the newegg reviews as an indication if a product is good or bad. there are other website sources out there for the consumer to judge the product. most of the people who don't bother to post a feedback are people who have not had a problem with it, or if a bad experience happens, then they post their complaint. i've bought from newegg over the past years and i don't bother to post a feedback myself.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 08:16   Link #27
Fahd
* >/dev/null

I suspect what I'm suggesting will be outside your $100 price range, but if you want a list of PSUs, reviewed for their quietness, then SilentPC's recommended list (scroll down the page) is a good place to turn .

In any case, once you have got a new PSU (or if you find your existing one still works), it might be worth getting a Kill-a-watt (or any other wattage meter), so you can definitively tell how many watts you're drawing from the wall socket.

--edit--

One last thing, a few months down the line (i.e. when you have some spare money) it might be worth getting a spare PSU so that you can test out situations like this; i.e. whether it's the PSU or something else that's not working. It doesn't have to be an expensive spare part, just something you'll use for a few minutes for getting a diagnosis.

Last edited by Fahd; 2012-04-10 at 18:13.
Fahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 13:13   Link #28
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Specs for my dead PSU...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
The +3.3V is at 30A, the +5V is at 28A, and the +12V1 is at 18A. +12V2 at 18A, +12V3 at 18A, and +12V4 at 20A. -12V at 0.5A. +5VSB at 2.2A.

Specs for a PSU I'm considering:

Quote:
+3.3V@24A, +5V@24A, +12V1@24A, +12V2@24A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@2.5A
Someone recommended I get a PSU with the same ampage or more, does that apply to only the +12V ampages? Would I be fine with that PSU having less ampage for +3.3V and +5V?

Also, is it fine that this PSU I'm looking at only has two +12V ampages?
Old 2012-04-10, 15:23   Link #29
Jaden

Having less amps on the +3.3V and +5V - no problem at all for any sensible setup I can think of.

The amount of +12v rails is not a big deal either, and doesn't effect power output. The highest quality PSUs often have just a single one. Using multiple ones might improve heat dissipation and fault tolerance. (at least those are the official reasons they exist, I suspect they might just be a marketing gimmick)
Old 2012-04-10, 18:57   Link #30
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Do anti-static gloves work? I figure they would, but I might as well ask. I ask because I hear some say it is questionable as to whether anti-static wrist straps actually do as advertised, so I wonder if the same could be said about anti-static gloves.
Old 2012-04-10, 19:19   Link #31
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

I think the idea of anti static gloves is, that they don't build up any static themselves, as normal plastic gloves would.

But to achieve that, I assume they have to be conductors (just like anti static foil in general is a conductor). So if you had any static built up on your body, those gloves would just pass it through.

That aside, you don't need those things to handle a PSU and plug some wires.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 19:26   Link #32
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Just touch a piece of grounded metal every so often. I never wear straps or gloves when I work on electronics, from soldering my own PCBs to building desktop computers, and I've never fried anything except myself.
Old 2012-04-10, 19:41   Link #33
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Alright, just touch a piece of metal. But I'll skip the gloves. I might get an anti-static wrist strap, mostly for the ease of mind. There is one for $5 on newegg.

Stupid question, but can you use an anti-static wrist strap more than once? I could have sworn that once, when I looked up anti-static accessories over a year ago, that one accessory said one time use only, so that is why I ask.
Old 2012-04-10, 19:46   Link #34
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

The wrist straps are just made out of braided steel ribbon with a wire attached to them. You attach the wire to a piece of grounded metal. I don't see why they wouldn't be reusable. Metal doesn't get destroyed with that minor amount of current going through it.
Old 2012-04-10, 19:50   Link #35
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

It is nothing more than a copper cable (or something cheaper than copper ). 5$ is a rip off for that if you ask me.
A few metres of cheap bell-wire would do the trick.

You should be able to reuse it as long as you like. The important part is, where you put the other end of the cable. It should be something that is grounded. For example copper heating pipes in older houses (unpainted!).

I don't use these things either. I'm handling bare PCBs and ICs everyday, but somehow they all survive my static deathgrip. No idea if PC components are somehow more fragile, but I doubt it.
Mostly the same parts. The only way to fry them, is short curcuiting with a non limited power supply.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 20:34   Link #36
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Digital ICs can be sensitive to static discharge. Analog ICs, opamps and whatnot don't really mind quite as much, and base components like resistors and capacitors really don't seem to care.
Old 2012-04-11, 20:14   Link #37
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Is newegg's return policy pretty good? If an item is opened, can I send it back? Or is there no returns for opened items?

The PSU I want to buy has a standard return policy.

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2012-04-11 at 20:28.
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 20:30   Link #38
iceyfw

neweggs Returns(RMA) Faq

bestbuys return and exchange policy

if you're going to consider buying online and think there is a good chance you'll want to return, then you might want to consider amazon.com for online purchases. they have excellent CS and return policies.

and you would be better off with Fry's Electronics for B&M if you have one in your area instead of best buy as they have more of a wide selection for PSUs.
Old 2012-04-11, 20:38   Link #39
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I hope Amazon would take an opened PSU back if I needed to return one.
Old 2012-04-11, 20:42   Link #40
iceyfw

amazon will take it back no problem. i've done 1 product exchange (they sent me the new unit first and i sent them the old defective unit back to them at no cost. that was awesome!) and 2 items returned which they refunded me full. just remember it has to be FROM Amazon.com. not a third party.