Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-05-23, 23:52   Link #1
Nayim

Motorola suing Microsoft for Xbox patent violation

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Xbox-Ban...ews-15334.html

Seriously?

I'm not big fan of/ have Xbox 360 but this is ridiculous. I feel sorry for those who have Xbox 360 and hear this news.
Old 2012-05-24, 00:28   Link #2
Divini
Senpai!

I think that because of the huge market of XBox 360 players, I seriously doubt that it will be completely banned.

More likely Microsoft and Motorola will reach a settlement, with Motorola netting a huge amount of pocket change. I don't think Motorola would be stupid enough to ignore XBox's huge player base as profit potential. Not to mention the fallout they might receive if a total ban took place.
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-24, 00:30   Link #3
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I don't have an XBox 360. I'd like one, but I just don't need one with a PC and PS3. Not too many XBox 360 exclusives that I really want.

It does suck for people who were looking to get one or need a replacement. But one reason I'm not really upset about this is I think that Microsoft can work out a solution. Might cost them a lot of money, though.

But...is it bad that I find this funny? I don't really know why I do. I'm not a fanboy. I'm not anti-XBox 360. Maybe it is just that I'm not really attached to the XBox 360 and I find such massive pwnage to be funny. I know, schadenfreude! Shameful joy!

Also, maybe...this is karma for the whole fiasco with their unreliable hardware and the millions that had to face their XBox 360s dying on them. Not completely serious on that one. But not completely joking on that, either. It would kind of be justice. I mean, they were getting away scott-free with what has got to be the worst issue there has ever been with consumer electronics.

Also, I'd like to know...is it banned in the U.S. as of today, or could it be banned in the coming months? I guess this article says it could be banned, but at another forum, everyone was speaking as if the ban is effective immediately. Also, I find it funny that the decision could come down to President Obama.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2012-05-24 at 05:56.
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-24, 00:41   Link #4
Jellal
Anime Critic

"If the board agrees with Shaw, the decision will then be passed on to the Obama Administration, which will have its own 60-day review period. During this period, it will be up to President Obama to either sign-off or overturn the commission's decision."

Betting Obama, will cause Nerds to rage for decades.
Jellal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-24, 00:43   Link #5
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

It'll be several months. It needs review by another board, then if it holds it needs further review from the Justice Department (which is part of the Obama administration). If they also decide to uphold the ruling, then the ban goes into effect.
Old 2012-05-24, 00:46   Link #6
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellal View Post
"If the board agrees with Shaw, the decision will then be passed on to the Obama Administration, which will have its own 60-day review period. During this period, it will be up to President Obama to either sign-off or overturn the commission's decision."

Betting Obama, will cause Nerds to rage for decades.
Well, he'll have to make a decision that upholds certain laws. If he deems it necessary to have the ban enacted because it upholds certain laws, that is important. He can't see it as banning it would be the right course of action, but avoid doing that for the sake of XBox 360 fans. The political backlash would be huge for that.

If enacting the ban upholds the patent laws and other laws, it has to be done. Don't get mad at Obama, get mad at Microsoft for patent infringement and Motorola for waging all out war in the courts.
Old 2012-05-24, 06:30   Link #7
Sides

Both parties will work it out somehow. Is it actually motorola mobility? If that is the case, expect to see currently banned motorola android phones being allowed back into the US and the 360 story goes away unnoticed.
Companies should really work this stuff out on their own and stop wasting everyones time at court.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-24, 06:30   Link #8
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

I don't have an Xbox 360, neither do I plan to get one, but this is ridiculous.

Also, assuming it does get banned in the USA, what does this mean for those people who live there? Can they keep the 360s they already have? Will they be fined if they import a 360 from another country?
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-24, 07:15   Link #9
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Quote:
According to the court document, which was released on Monday, Microsoft argued that such a ban would not be in the public interest as customers would be left with only the PlayStation 3 and Wii as alternatives.
Um I don't get this. This seems like the most irrelevant and illogical argument to present in court. They shouldn't be banned because the only thing left in the console gaming market are their competitors?

It's not devastating if it is banned anyways. It will take ages and Microsoft is due for a new console.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-24, 07:15   Link #10
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

@Tempester, People who own them will be fine, its just selling them won't be. Besides it's just the consoles right, the actual games will still be purchasable. Also, Importing one through a blockade is illegal I think, even if you aren't selling it - but I could be wrong there.
Old 2012-05-24, 07:22   Link #11
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

I have a motorola droid raxor maxx, and a 360... am I in trouble? ._.
Old 2012-05-24, 07:43   Link #12
Mr Hat and Clogs

Er... no.

Look, the basics are this; Microsoft supposedly used/copied some of Motorola's tech (specifically the H.264 video codec and Wireless technology) without their permission. Motorola took M$ to court over it and are have had some rulings in their favor which has put M$ in a bit of a bind. What this means is that possibly XBOXs will not be able to be imported into America (which is bad since they are made in China), nor will they be able to be sold commercially (ie, Best Buy or whatever stores you guys have). They also have to pay something like $1.4B to Motorola in royalties, keep in mind the banning would most likely be a temporary thing until M$ and Motorola come to an arrangement.

Private owners have nothing to fear, the only possible issue is you might be pinged at customs if you try to get one in from overseas but that is not very likely or if your XBOX goes all RROD on you. If you have a console, you're fine, its not like the Motorola police are going to raid your homes and take away your consoles.
Old 2012-05-24, 07:53   Link #13
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

A wee bit too late, with next gen consoles (including the new Xbox which I assume isn't a part of this) are rumoured to start coming next year. Sure $1.4b is a ton of money, but I'm sure M$ made that many times over the 360's lifetime.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-24, 07:53   Link #14
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

That's good news I thought the swat team is gonna bust on my door to take my 360. Lol
Old 2012-05-24, 08:08   Link #15
Mr Hat and Clogs

Well the $1.4B is only 7% of the total profit from XBOX, Motorola wanted 100% which was $20B, but they got knocked back.

It's kind of amusing though since Microsoft was able to get imports of Motorola Smart Phones banned a couple of days ago.

honestly though the Patent laws need to go die in a fire.
Old 2012-05-24, 08:31   Link #16
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

It's all about suing im getting money
Old 2012-05-24, 10:52   Link #17
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Well the $1.4B is only 7% of the total profit from XBOX, Motorola wanted 100% which was $20B, but they got knocked back.

It's kind of amusing though since Microsoft was able to get imports of Motorola Smart Phones banned a couple of days ago.

How much profits has MS actually gotten, though? They made that money, but spent a lot of money for their games division. So how much real profit have they made with XBox 360 this generation? For example, the RROD problem cost them over 3 billion dollars.
Old 2012-05-24, 11:55   Link #18
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Well, Mr Hat did say 1.4b was 7% of the total profit, so going by the definition of that word, that means M$ made 20b over the lifetime AFTER all costs. Not surprised they made that much money, considering how big FPS games are and Xbox being THE console to go for those type of games.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-24, 12:28   Link #19
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Shaw sounds like a whiny idiot baby who's dropped his pacifier and just needs to go back to sleep in his cradle, imo. Who'd bother copying Motorola's technology? If you're going to steal, steal from a company that's actually worth a shit. Aside from the Droid (which I own), no one gives a crap about Motorola. Not like their tech's all that advanced anyway (let alone at all), compared to what you see coming out of other companies/countries.
Old 2012-05-24, 13:24   Link #20
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
This. What's ridiculous is not this ban, but patent laws and all the ridiculous granted patents out there.