AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-22, 14:07   Link #14961
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
whoever is behind these disgusting attacks, hopefully they will be caught and given what they deserve.
a fair trail and a swift hanging.
There is no death penalty (capital punishment) in norway, like there is no death penalty in most european countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital...ment_in_Europe
Old 2011-07-22, 15:43   Link #14962
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
Does Norway have much to worry about in the field of terrorism ?
at least, until a few hours ago ?
From what I have heard a friend in Norway the media suspect it's a combined McVeigh/Littleton like attack, given that the man arrested on the island is not an immigrant but a native Norwegian. There have been school shootings in the past in the Nordic countries although this is on a different scale.

Still, Norway is involved in Afganistan, Libya and newspapers have printed the Danish cartoons that mocked islam. So a Muslim terrorist attack has not been ruled out.
Old 2011-07-22, 15:45   Link #14963
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
From what I have heard a friend in Norway the media suspect it's a combined McVeigh/Littleton like attack, given that the man arrested on the island is not an immigrant but a native Norwegian. There have been school shootings in the past in the Nordic countries although this is on a different scale.

Still, Norway is involved in Afganistan, Libya and newspapers have printed the Danish cartoons that mocked islam. So a Muslim terrorist attack has not been ruled out.

It is Odin angry that Thor is getting a movie but he isn't
Old 2011-07-22, 15:52   Link #14964
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Odin never gets movies. He's not a protagonist type.
Old 2011-07-22, 16:17   Link #14965
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Current reports are that he's nordic, so I'm guessing the Fundamentalist Odinist is the right track. We have to bring back the old gods yo!
Old 2011-07-22, 16:27   Link #14966
zarqu
Stüldt Håjt!

Latest from a police press conference:

Undetonated explosives found on Utøya.

Police confirms 10 dead on Utøya, but they expect the number to rise as they search the island.

They won't say anything about the suspect.
Old 2011-07-22, 18:16   Link #14967
solomon

Debt Talks Collapse

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/...ebt-talks.html

Ok, I wash my hands of the GOP now...........

Seriously, the president agrees to 3 trillion dollar blow to deficit over 10 years with cuts to sainted Medicare and Medicaid and THEYRE STILL BITCHING ABOUT TAXES??!!!

For all that is good and holy, I can't stand these crackpots! Just wanna leave the sick and poor to die.
Old 2011-07-22, 19:09   Link #14968
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/...ebt-talks.html

Ok, I wash my hands of the GOP now...........

Seriously, the president agrees to 3 trillion dollar blow to deficit over 10 years with cuts to sainted Medicare and Medicaid and THEYRE STILL BITCHING ABOUT TAXES??!!!

For all that is good and holy, I can't stand these crackpots! Just wanna leave the sick and poor to die.
Can't say I disagree with them. We need far more than the 3 trillion in spending cuts that was offered. Far more.
Old 2011-07-22, 19:18   Link #14969
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I'm with Obama. The US doesn't have the large spending programs that European countries have. If they need more cash, they just need to raise taxes.

I'd prefer to see higher taxes then social services eviscerated.
Old 2011-07-22, 19:23   Link #14970
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Or get more people working, thus spending...so that they can collect more taxes without having to do a thing. It is mostly income tax and in some states sales tax. If no one is working, or are working low paying jobs, they: 1) are not making much income to tax. 2) are not buying as much as they use to. 3) Because they are buying less, there is less needed to be made, less stores needing to be open, and thus less jobs to go around, providing less income to the public, and thus less we return to number 1.
Old 2011-07-22, 19:24   Link #14971
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

My God, why can't they agree to raise taxes as well?
Are they afraid their corporate overlords might make a hissy about it?
Old 2011-07-22, 19:28   Link #14972
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

You'd be surprised how many people in the lower tax brackets don't want to raise taxes on the rich because they think they'll be rich in the "near future" .
Old 2011-07-22, 19:31   Link #14973
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The Republican platform for at least two decades has be to keep taxes down. It is why they get reelected in many districts. They raise taxes, they go against their voter base, and thus will likely not be reelected. As a representative of their districts and states, they are suppose to represent their voter's interests, and very few of their voters want higher taxes. Usually because on top of the income tax several states and even cities have sales tax. Sales tax were I live went up to 10% for a short period of time before the state tax reverted to a slightly lower percentage due to governement failure to renew it. The city tacked on a 1 -1.25% sales tax on top of the state's sales tax and I think the county's sales tax. Add to this the cost of living bills that are rather high in some states, some people aren't even hanging on anymore and are just going into debt....just like the government.

Of course in California...everything is taxed...one way or another. Even if they call it a fee...it is really a tax.
Old 2011-07-22, 19:33   Link #14974
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I'm with Obama. The US doesn't have the large spending programs that European countries have. If they need more cash, they just need to raise taxes.

I'd prefer to see higher taxes then social services eviscerated.
Yes because raising taxes is going to just solve everything.

You could take 100% from the top 5% wage earners in this country, and not make a dent in our deficit. We have a serious, serious, spending problem that needs to be addressed. One that has been festering due to Republicans and Democrats for decades.

I would like to see that Balanced Budget Amendment that has been talked about, passed, and some sanity brought back into this country before it's too late.
Old 2011-07-22, 19:47   Link #14975
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Or get more people working, thus spending...so that they can collect more taxes without having to do a thing. It is mostly income tax and in some states sales tax. If no one is working, or are working low paying jobs, they: 1) are not making much income to tax. 2) are not buying as much as they use to. 3) Because they are buying less, there is less needed to be made, less stores needing to be open, and thus less jobs to go around, providing less income to the public, and thus less we return to number 1.
So you are going to employ all these people and give them well paying jobs?
I mean if it was that easy, don't you think they would have done that already?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Yes because raising taxes is going to just solve everything.

You could take 100% from the top 5% wage earners in this country, and not make a dent in our deficit. We have a serious, serious, spending problem that needs to be addressed. One that has been festering due to Republicans and Democrats for decades.
Lets see, I'ld estimate the agregated income of that group at 2 trillion $. At this rate you will need 7 years to pay back all debts, provided no new debt is created in the time. Thats completely hypotetical of course.

Quote:
I would like to see that Balanced Budget Amendment that has been talked about, passed, and some sanity brought back into this country before it's too late.
On the one hand excessive spending keeps the dolar low and the US economy gains competitivnes on global markets, on the other hand it drives inflation. Now the question is, what is worse... honestly I don't know.

Last edited by Jinto; 2011-07-22 at 20:21.
Old 2011-07-22, 19:54   Link #14976
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Because they like subservient worker drones and people dependant on government money?
Old 2011-07-22, 20:13   Link #14977
Bri

Quote:
Nope, 100% tax rate on the top 5% wage earners would solve the deficit problem completely, in theory.

Top 5% incomes average $250,000
115 million households in US, 5% of that is 5.75 million households
US deficit in 2011 roughly $1.3 trillion

So 100% taxes on top 5% of incomes is 5.75 mln x $250,000= $1.44 trillion, which would give a theoretical surplus on the federal budget.

Off course this is not a realistic example. High incomes would simply stop working or leave the country.
Old 2011-07-22, 20:21   Link #14978
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
Nope, 100% tax rate on the top 5% wage earners would solve the deficit problem completely, in theory.

Top 5% incomes average $250,000
115 million households in US, 5% of that is 5.75 million households
US deficit in 2011 roughly $1.3 trillion

So 100% taxes on top 5% of incomes is 5.75 mln x $250,000= $1.44 trillion, which would give a theoretical surplus on the federal budget.

Off course this is not a realistic example. High incomes would simpley stop working or leave the country.
Do you have a link to your numbers? Because the numbers I see on the deficit alone, are 1.5 trillion or more for 2011. That's just for part of your post.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Un...federal_budget
Old 2011-07-22, 20:22   Link #14979
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry

I still don't understand how you realistically cut the deficit without some form of revenue increase without some miraculous job growth (which I do not believe the Republican plans are realistic with).

I also don't understand how making millions of Americans lose services to preserve some tax cuts for the richest Americans is good policy either.
Old 2011-07-22, 20:24   Link #14980
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I'd say that even in theory if completely taxing the top 5% would solve the immediate deficit, the pervading belief that the government should be spending tax dollars as long as it thinks it has money to spend will still create a deficit. Mostly because a government would readjust it's spending when it's finances change.

So yeah justinstrife is right. As long as a government spends money every time it has anything in its wallet, it's always going to create a deficit.

Quote:
I also don't understand how making millions of Americans lose services to preserve some tax cuts for the richest Americans is good policy either.
That's the point. It's not. It's good for the rich and greedy bastards of society, and not for everyone else.

Do they even teach any form of fiscal ethics and responsibilities in business and management courses?
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international