AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-11-15, 05:50   Link #721
Navel

ryokoalways, yes it's always great to see a series that manages to show convincing development in the personality of its characters, and most importantly a positive improvement. If you have not already seen them, take a look at Nodame Cantabile or Gankutsuou. They have some great characters there as well, although they don't belong to the same genre as Eureka 7. The currently "airing" Xam'd Lost Memories is closest to Eureka 7.

Magin, the R1 DVDs have poor video quality, they're no match for the R2 DVDs. But the R2 DVDs don't come with english subtitles, sadly.
Navel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-21, 10:14   Link #722
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Random necromancy

I have just finished watching Eureka 7... and I have quite mixed feelings about it. The start was a little too generic as many people have mentioned, but the middle point was too emo on the emotional scale for my tastes. The whole crew of the Gekkostate were just adults going through their second youth or going through a self loathe stage which ticked me in the wrong way to an extreme level, so I coudn't really like that part at all. I *hate* the sight of immature adults with passion, so Holland whole character is my main problem with the series. On the other hand, I liked Dominique's and Anemone's character a lot, so I wish they would have been given more focus but aw well. The whole underlying plot was pretty interesting, as was Eureka's and Sakuya's character design.

As an atheist the religion/science interview ticked me the wrong way but again, that is just artistic licenses. Despite all the background he was given, I think Dewey's motivation and background lacked depth, so the 'evil' side of the spectrum felt a little hollow.

Also, I could never bring myself to like Renton, so that also brought my enjoyment a few levels down.

On the plus side, I hadn't watched an ending that i had liked so much as Canvas(ED4) in a long, long time. The combined imagery of war orphaned children and an optimistic scene created a contradiction effect that I liked to the upmost level. Kudos on that

In the end, it was a 7/10 series for me. It was on the good side of the spectrum, but nothing I'd want to rewatch or give much thought to.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-21, 17:19   Link #723
Yuuu

Does anyone know if Bandai plans to release a box set for the series?
Yuuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 03:42   Link #724
kamehameha

...such a great anime!!

any plans to continue the storyline? i know the movie is due out soon.
kamehameha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 21:00   Link #725
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuuu View Post
Does anyone know if Bandai plans to release a box set for the series?
Box set of the first half of the series (ep 1-26) comes out in June. I would explect the box set of the second half (26-50) a few months after than.
Old 2009-04-04, 05:29   Link #726
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
Box set of the first half of the series (ep 1-26) comes out in June. I would explect the box set of the second half (26-50) a few months after than.
I wish they'd released the box by it's self so i have somewhere to place the 10 volumes i have.
Old 2009-04-04, 19:32   Link #727
mdauben

I just watched the preview for the E7 movie Pocket Full of Rainbows and I have to say, I am at least a little bit pumped. Definetly new animation (not just re-edited footage from the series) and what appears to be a new story, although with Renton, Eureka, Holland, Talho and the rest of the cast from the original show.

I'm not really sure if this is a side story that took place during the timeline of the series, something that comes after the series, or an alternate universe story but I'll definely have my eyes open for the subs. I looks promising. It seems the movie premeires on April 25th.

Damn, I think I need to go rewatch the series again while I'm waiting!
Old 2009-04-04, 19:38   Link #728
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

This isn't the thread for talking about the movie -- it has it's own thread. Here's the link.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=64880
Old 2009-04-05, 00:19   Link #729
blewin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Random necromancy

The whole crew of the Gekkostate were just adults going through their second youth or going through a self loathe stage which ticked me in the wrong way to an extreme level, so I coudn't really like that part at all. I *hate* the sight of immature adults with passion, so Holland whole character is my main problem with the series.
actually, there're plenty of immature adults around. Plenty acting like they're mature, but they know little of the reasons behind their daily actions. The older a person grow, the more stubborn he becomes, and the less reception he is to advice and opinions. That's why I really like the depiction and addition of the character Holland in E7, which you don't get much from anime. Talk about parallel development of characters of different ages!! Very realistic.
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 18:49   Link #730
Jarmel

Ok this might be totally futile but worth a shot.

Has anyone bought or seen the Japanese Blu-rays for E7? I'm interested in buying these and I want to know about the quality of the video. Thanks for any help.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-12, 01:47   Link #731
Manic
real men love pink

Quote:
I wish they'd released the box by it's self so i have somewhere to place the 10 volumes i have.
you could just buy a couple the box sets they are on clearance now for 10 bucks, and the individual singles are 3 bucks each. So if ya dont wanna wait you could buy em up like that.

Thats why i did anyway i bought the 2 that came with the shirt, and the OSTs. So i got boxes to store my singles and the sound tracks for really cheap
Old 2009-06-12, 03:23   Link #732
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post
you could just buy a couple the box sets they are on clearance now for 10 bucks, and the individual singles are 3 bucks each. So if ya dont wanna wait you could buy em up like that.

Thats why i did anyway i bought the 2 that came with the shirt, and the OSTs. So i got boxes to store my singles and the sound tracks for really cheap
I have a few of those boxes already, so i could probably just do that, though i was hoping for a huge box that would house all 10 volumes.
Old 2009-06-12, 19:01   Link #733
Jarmel

I sucked it up and bought the Blu-rays for both the movie and the series ;_;
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-02, 23:32   Link #734
Dynzel
( ´_ゝ`)フーン

Not sure if it was ever mentioned here since I never frequented AS when E7 aired but not long after the series, there was an event that involved the voice actors of Eureka and Renton to voice something entitled "Episode 51". I'm not sure if that was ever transcribed but here are some scans from the E7 movie/series guide I bought that includes the dialogue and such.

It'd be great if someone could translate or summarize what's being said. There's some staff interviews about the movie/series I could scan if anyone really wants it.
Dynzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-07, 20:39   Link #735
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

i have a few questions regarding the dvd set.

1. i see that every vols has a LE ver with a box. is all the le box capable of fitting in the all 12 vols or only LE vol 1 has the DVD set box?

2. if all the box are big enough to fit in all 12 vol. Which box has all the best artwork?
Old 2009-10-12, 23:20   Link #736
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

I watched this 5 months ago, 19 hours straight and I just had to fall asleep during the last episode! and never really got to watch it till the end. Finally, after 5 months I got to watch the last episode and I have to say...

I cried. Yes, I cried damn it. That was a beautiful ending, although I don't know how he got to break Eureka free just with a kiss? I guess that's what you call the 'Power of Love' and Nirvash suddenly talking, I was like woah O.o she's a female as well? I cried when Renton and Eureka become one and gave up living to save the planet.

Renton's grandpa I have to say he was one of my favorite characters of the series, man he's one strong old man. He really does love Renton, especially now that he has to take care of his children! I hope he lives long enough to get to see Renton again.

The only thing I was disappointed about is the epilogue. Yeah, I hated how they didn't show what happened to the other characters afterwards, I would have loved to see Holland and Talho's child. Overall I give this series a 9/10 because it kept me entertained every episode and every minute of it.
Old 2009-12-19, 14:31   Link #737
qwertyuiopz

im kinda confused with the ending and wished they showed talho's baby too, but whatevs its a good 10 for me
qwertyuiopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-23, 15:31   Link #738
Ca12nag3

Send a message via MSN to Ca12nag3
The ending of the series is tricky, they ended it rather open, the 3 kids stay with grandpa but you never see them grown up, Eureka and Renton were given their life back but they could with it what they wanted, so anything is possible from that point of view. Talhos baby indeed not seen at all but its a main focalpoint in te endplot where Holland kinda softens up.

So like a lot of stories it ends half open half shut. You can leave it at this or put out some OVAs or a new season. The movie from this year just is a total different story even tho it touches this one at a few points.
Ca12nag3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-23, 23:38   Link #739
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
I'm usually just someone who focuses on the characters instead of the story, but rare that it might be there are times when the story can really shoot down a work for me. The worst part is that in this case, it actually detracted value from its cast.

The character development was actually pretty damn good, at least for the core ensemble. Numerous times one might find themselves groaning at Renton, Eureka, Holland, Talho, Dominic or Anemone; they're flawed, they don't change much, and what little change happens is deliberately slow. But that's actually something to forgive because they pretty much carry the show, make it interesting, and so on. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of the other characters, who at best become something of a Chekhov's Gun. Still, even that has been something that's been overlooked before, so what went wrong from here?

Simply put, it's the way in which our sextets are presented. Because there simply isn't enough of a glimpse as to how they'll behave under normal circumstances, it runs the risk of desensitizing viewers to its conflicts; they pretty much jump straight into such heavy episodes after the first 1/4 of the series when it hasn't even been earned.

Of course, thrusting a work into TNA (Total Non-stop Angsting) wouldn't be bad if Eureka Seven advertised itself as something grimdark. Make no mistake that it features plenty of dark elements--terrorism, genocide, oppression, ect. ect.--but the show itself doesn't feel dark the same way others were. Not exactly scientific, I know, but there you go.

I could spend the rest of this time talking about the technical strengths, but such matters are usually irrelevant to how I evaluate shows. However, Cherry Blossom is an awesome song and you've got bad taste if you don't like it.

But seriously, I'm not exactly convinced of the glowing reception this show gets. A high mark for characters and a low mark for story prompt me to give this a just average score. If you can overlook the unbalanced storytelling you'll find something worth watching. Otherwise, you have been warned.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 09:27   Link #740
Xagzan

Figuring I don't need to put these little things in spoiler tags at this point...

So if anyone still comes to this thread, I have a couple of questions about ep 10. I've seen this series before and remember the major developments that happen, especially towards the end, but some of the little things early on I just can't recall.

Like, the place that Talho takes them to instead of the wave spot, what was that ruined building again, and its significance? I got the impression it was where she and Holland decided to desert, but I wasn't sure if it was anything more than that, if even that.

Also, when she keeps telling Holland he's changed, what change is she referring to at that point? I seem to remember the main facet of Holland's character up through the show's middle being that he had in fact not changed, that he always ran away from his past and responsibilities. I'm just a little confused on this part then, as to what she meant. Thanks if anyone knows.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote