AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Old 2010-05-03, 05:34   Link #621
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
They probably already have.

The HTT mini-album that was released last year (the one containing the four insert songs) became the first anime-related album ever to reach #1.

I'm sure that if they release another one of these albums, it will sell even more.
Mizuki Nana became the first seiyuu to have her album hit #1 in Oricon. The trend is moving towards anisongs. FINALLY!

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-03, 11:19   Link #622
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Probably I have been through so many classical musical concerts in my life as a member, backstage sound, and audience that made it boring. It is always the same old pieces that are being played, Beethoven, Handel, Tchaikovsky, Bach, Lizst, etc.

The song I swear I wouldn't want to hear again being played is Four Seasons. I swear, I can sleep once 1 minute into the song itself, regardless whether I am playing or watching.
Well, I guess one will become oversaturated no matter the genre with a regime like that.

Quote:
And most of them I have met have no other interests than classical genre, and these people like to downplay the popularity of pop as a result of marketing and herd effect. Hello? People don't buy K-ON! music CDs out of peer pressure, they make good music too (though I must admit, I wouldn't exactly buy if Azunyan didn't look that cute on the cover).

Music is music. The genre is there only for classification purposes, otherwise notes are still being played.

What is true is that, no matter the genre, no matter the time, there will always be music that will be garbage and will only be heard because of its popularity rather than its intrinsic quality. It has happened in every century, in every time, in every place. The point with classical music is that what remains today are those pieces that already survived the test of time and where only the truly good remain.

Last edited by Proto; 2010-05-03 at 13:11.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-03, 12:50   Link #623
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I love classical (baroque, medieval, modern, etc). I also love hard rock (50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s), I love traditional world folk music, I love ambient, industrial, new age, ...
I love j-rock, some j-pop, j-traditional, taiko drumming, country folk, bluegrass, rock blues...

What worries me are people who are immersed in and only like ONE form of music.
Old 2010-05-03, 14:12   Link #624
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
What worries me are people who are immersed in and only like ONE form of music.
You know, these people are just to be ignored. They just refuse to step out of their comfort zone of their liking.

Maybe it is just me, but I see this trend amongst people who follow peer pressure, especially musicians in religious groups and classical/traditional music bands. Rarely do I see people reacting "OMG TTS COOL" to unconventional musical styles like metal or trance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
What is true is that, no matter the genre, no matter the time, there will always be music that will be garbage and will only be heard because of its popularity rather than its intrinsic quality. It has happened in every century, in every time, in every place. The point with classical music is that what remains today are those pieces that already survived the test of time and where only the truly good remain.
The problem with these idiots, is that they play the music by the same old score over and over again. Why the heck can't they do something like this :

It's J.S Bach's Inventions & Symphonias, No. 13 in A Minor, remixed by D.J Taka from Bemani to make the melody sound clearer.

Or even Prelude in C Minor for Lute sped up to 140bpm

You know, I can't wait for bands to come here during the Singapore Arts Festival 2010 and play something like the MGS4's theme song. If art is just reiteration of past expressions, there isn't any value in it.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-05-03, 15:53   Link #625
Proto

Quote:
The problem with these idiots, is that they play the music by the same old score over and over again.
While I agree that trying variations and improvisations over the same idea have their value, I wouldn't think that a constant reliance on rehashing old ideas with slight divergences would be ideal in terms of creativity.

That and unlike it's seven arts siblings, music, dance and theater are arts that need to be performed and recreated every time. Unlike painting, sculpture and architecture that once done they last for eternity, the other threes are a flash of a moment (at least before the digital era. You *can* technically recreate a classical piece every time you perform it (and to a certain degree they already do that when the director injects his feelings and interpretation). However classical music also serves another purpose when you consider it as a window to the past. Art is one of the best ways humanity has to study the legacy of past generations. Every time a classical piece is performed to a tee, you are hearing the same piece that the composer thought of, and that every audience throughout many centuries has heard and delighted in. In a sense you are seeing history being made all over again.

Which doesn't mean that new stuff shouldn't be different. In art, there's as much value in exploring new stuff as there is in recapitulating the successes humanity has already made. At least in music, theater and dance.

Quote:
It's J.S Bach's Inventions & Symphonias, No. 13 in A Minor, remixed by D.J Taka from Bemani to make the melody sound clearer.
... why would you want to that to Bach. Bach's and the Barroque strongest point is the polyphony of all voices. Making one predominant just kills the whole point. D: Still, it's an interesting take, and I don't particularly dislike it other than the fact that it doesn't take the author intentions into consideration. But that's just my personal opinion, and I'm not commenting on the fact of whether its valuable of not.

Last edited by Proto; 2010-05-03 at 16:13.
Old 2010-05-03, 17:50   Link #626
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
This is just so bad man....Japan....it's beyond the point of a joke now.

It really must be a little embarassing for the regular and real conservative Japanese public though. I think there's a reason why crackdowns on media are happening now.

Finally I love that picture of the hosts and guests just playing it up so much like they are sad at the announcement, but really they're just like, "Yeah whatever, it's J-Pop". I love TV personalities in Japan who are willing to mug it up for the camera. Kind of reminds me of the studio system era of Hollywood movie acting. I think I'll have to come back and point out what each of their facial expressions is really saying about this.

From Left to Right:

1. Hahaha, that's so dumb (Really thinking: but yet I'm wearing a giant gold bow on my head and a really short skirt to play up my appeal.)

2. Okay, Okay, sure just clap along (Really thinking: Just go with how everyone else is hamming it up.)

3. Such a disgrace (Really thinking: I need to play up the stuffy older Japanese person thing a bit.)

4. Hang head in shame (Really thinking: I need to play up the somewhat narcissist guy that's made it and play it like Kanye West)

5. Oh deaaaaaaar....(Really thinking: I've got an emo slice so I need to do the bit about acting sassy and metrosexual)

6. Ohhhhhh no!....(Really thinking: Gotta go with what the boss is doing and act real bumbed out. Maybe play up the daffy hostess bit and look like I'm going to console him)

7. Dem's da breaks man (Really thinking: Either play it cool or play it schmucky and shrug it off)

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2010-05-03 at 18:09.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-03, 19:52   Link #627
Roardel

GO! GO! MANIAC and Listen!! got great hits this week. 1st and 2nd best sellers in Japan! Wow! http://www.oricon.co.jp/news/confidence/75932/
Roardel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-03, 23:59   Link #628
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
... why would you want to that to Bach. Bach's and the Barroque strongest point is the polyphony of all voices. Making one predominant just kills the whole point. D: Still, it's an interesting take, and I don't particularly dislike it other than the fact that it doesn't take the author intentions into consideration. But that's just my personal opinion, and I'm not commenting on the fact of whether its valuable of not.
The "polyphony" of all voices is just a single form of putting his music together. They remixer simply applied "what if" to the style and put a single melody to sound clearer.

There are millions of way to play a single piece, and it doesn't exactly have to be the style as guided by the composer. After all, the style the composer wanted to play is due to favouritism not professionalism. Writing out the notes and arranging them together is the professional part, playing it in the style you want is a different issue.

And if we try to play it the way the composer wants everytime, isn't that boring? It is just like eating a chocolate cake with a strawberry on top : why not we put cherries and whipped cream on top of it instead? It is still chocolate cake with different toppings.

Old 2010-05-04, 01:13   Link #629
Proto

Why did you comment on the least interesting part of my post. I mean, I concede in that, that's just personal likes and dislikes, and probably me being just too stiff since Baroque is my favorite genre.
Old 2010-05-04, 03:36   Link #630
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Why did you comment on the least interesting part of my post. I mean, I concede in that, that's just personal likes and dislikes, and probably me being just too stiff since Baroque is my favorite genre.
I thought that part is the main argument and rest are just proof and pertinence!

I am more of a Romantic period and Modern Music person. Gershwin is one of my favourite "classical" musicians before pop culture kicked in. He's considered one of the last of the classical musicians before pop music, marketing and industrialisation (a.k.a Keion) turned music arts into a market.

Apparently styles of music unique enough to be called "art", like Lady Gaga, still exists.

Old 2010-05-04, 11:52   Link #631
onemadcow

Final numbers for the week, 83,400 for GGM and 76,558 for Listen!
Also of note, DSL (70) and CG (74) were back in the top 100 for the first time since January.

A good start, but these numbers must double to equal last season's numbers. Here's hoping!
onemadcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-05, 00:38   Link #632
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Apparently according to Oricon website (The artist ranking), Ho-Kago Teatime is currently more popular than Lady Gaga...
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-05, 01:28   Link #633
Sparvid
*hic*

As they should be
Old 2010-05-05, 09:25   Link #634
Manwards
Cunning Linguist

Send a message via MSN to Manwards
Well, they're certainly more musically qualified than Gaga is. Remove the silly costumes and pseudo-sex appeal and all you've got is the same bland chorus being repeated in every song. The popular music station in my city just plays her and Cheryl Cole on loop. And Cole is even worse: deadpanning the same line over and over a repetitive bassline. She's only famous because her husband cheated on her! And that's not to mention the countless cookie-cutter rappers talking about how much money they have. Really, with so much uninspired, musically dead dross clogging up the charts, I'm really not going to complain about a lowly anime song hitting the big time.
Old 2010-05-05, 09:53   Link #635
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by winhlp32 View Post
Apparently according to Oricon website (The artist ranking), Ho-Kago Teatime is currently more popular than Lady Gaga...
Wait. What? The girls are more popular than Lady Gaga!?

Looks like being Weird Campy is dead in Japan.
Old 2010-05-05, 09:57   Link #636
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwards View Post
Well, they're certainly more musically qualified than Gaga is. Remove the silly costumes and pseudo-sex appeal and all you've got is the same bland chorus being repeated in every song. The popular music station in my city just plays her and Cheryl Cole on loop. And Cole is even worse: deadpanning the same line over and over a repetitive bassline. She's only famous because her husband cheated on her! And that's not to mention the countless cookie-cutter rappers talking about how much money they have. Really, with so much uninspired, musically dead dross clogging up the charts, I'm really not going to complain about a lowly anime song hitting the big time.
And music labels wonder why no one is buying any music anymore...

Guess it's a good thing I never listen to the radio anymore.
Old 2010-05-05, 11:08   Link #637
AnimeTheme
MJ - Forever King of Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
Wow, a TV series opening theme beating out serious music artists? Very interesting, to say the least. I'd lol if this turned up in history books:
It is actually quite a saddening situation in various ways.

Check out my Windows gadget gallery!

AnimeTheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-05, 11:30   Link #638
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwards View Post
Oh, that's not good - you've pointed out the "Emperor has no clothes".

You've also just described a great deal of pop music - which more and more replaces musical sophistication and artistry with visual distraction.
Old 2010-05-05, 11:41   Link #639
Manwards
Cunning Linguist

Send a message via MSN to Manwards
It isn't always a bad thing, of course. You can't (or at least, shouldn't) generalise entire genres. I actually have a soft spot for some pretty vapid 90s pop. The Spice Girls, S Club 7, the Vengaboys, older Britney Spears... all a lot of fun at a party or a karaoke bar. Nowadays, though, the catchy choruses and sense of fun that made those work has been replaced with derivative monotony.

You can't complain too much. There's always good music out there, if you look, and it's the simple, brainless stuff that floats to the top in any form of media. Films like Twilight and Transformers will always make more money than something with substance. It's just that when you're forced to listen to the "cool stuff" day-in day-out at work, it quickly becomes apparent just how shallow it all is.
Old 2010-05-05, 11:54   Link #640
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Visual distraction is useless on the radio or in an album.