AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-12-21, 19:45   Link #61
iLney

Many people, myself included, believe in science even though they claim not to be superstitious.
iLney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-21, 19:51   Link #62
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLney View Post
Many people, myself included, believe in science even though they claim not to be superstitious.
This claim is somewhat nonsensical. You can't really "believe" in science any more than you can "believe" in engineering, or "believe" in mathematics, or "believe" in business management.
Old 2010-12-21, 20:07   Link #63
Yuno
Balanced Diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadeko_Sengoku View Post
Alright, that settles it. I'm moving to Canada.

Also, if you urinate when swimming in a South American river, you may encounter the Candiru. Drawn to warmth, this tiny fish is known to follow a stream of urine to its source, swim inside the body, and flare it's barbed fins. It will remain firmly embedded in the flesh until surgically removed.
Welcome to Canada, would you like some poutine?

I have heard of this, it appeared in a movie too, but I can't recall which one. Did you perhaps get this from that movie as well? It is quite true and those things are very interesting creatures~

@iLney: I wanted to be a biologist originally in Highschool, but I was still quite superstitious. I love science and logics, but sometimes it's fun to be a little effected by nonsense hehe~
Yuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-21, 20:29   Link #64
OgodItsKanon
ばかな王女様
*Artist

There is a small town at the northernmost tip of Alaska where the sun sets in November and doesn't come up again until January. Until then, the lighting there is always twilight.
Old 2010-12-21, 20:40   Link #65
JRendell
Manga Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadeko_Sengoku View Post
Also, if you urinate when swimming in a South American river, you may encounter the Candiru. Drawn to warmth, this tiny fish is known to follow a stream of urine to its source, swim inside the body, and flare it's barbed fins. It will remain firmly embedded in the flesh until surgically removed.
Actually, they are more likely to be drawn by Urethra rather than warmth. A nasty, nasty thing to imagine though...
JRendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-21, 20:44   Link #66
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Urea, not urethra. The fish are attracted to urea, as many fish vent the chemical from their gills. The candiru feeds by attaching itself inside a larger fish's gills... or a man's penis.
Old 2010-12-21, 21:05   Link #67
iLney

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
This claim is somewhat nonsensical. You can't really "believe" in science any more than you can "believe" in engineering, or "believe" in mathematics, or "believe" in business management.
Superstitious people believe in voodoo. What difference does it make? Most people "believe" in stuffs they don't understand.
iLney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-21, 21:13   Link #68
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

That makes more sense, reading your response and the original comment in context; what you're saying is a lot of people accept science without really understanding it. This is very true.

Unfortunately, the average person really doesn't understand science, and our public school systems don't really make a concerted effort to instill an understanding of science and the scientific method within the average person...
Old 2010-12-22, 01:04   Link #69
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Urea, not urethra. The fish are attracted to urea, as many fish vent the chemical from their gills. The candiru feeds by attaching itself inside a larger fish's gills... or a man's penis.
I will ignore the smiley at the end of your sentence.

But yeah, I saw a discovery health special about a guy whom this happened to. That must have SUCKED... he was terrified because normally when the Candiru lodge themselves in fishes' gills, they EAT EVERYTHING in the immediate area. You can see the concern, here. >_<
Old 2010-12-22, 17:23   Link #70
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofiel View Post
Me either, I always thought that it was something spoken about in grade school. Apparently a Cockroach can live several weeks without it's head...
Here's the kicker about that little fact. I told my mother about it, and she said "Oh I didn't know that either".

I died inside.

Another fun little space fact, the Earth moves through space at 600,000 miles per hour.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-22, 17:26   Link #71
Yuno
Balanced Diet

Haha, I am sorry you had to face that. I can't believe she didn't know~ Now she does and you can pretend she did all along

That is really cool. I knew Earth had to move fast to fully go along it's path around the sun, but I didn't know how fast. Astronomy is so interesting to me~
Old 2010-12-22, 21:58   Link #72
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Due to the way the moon revolves around the earth, only one side of it ever gets lit up at night (hence the dark side of the moon)

I can't say I have the statistics on that fact of who does and don't know it...

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-22, 22:02   Link #73
Yuno
Balanced Diet

You are quite right! The dark side of the moon is also a lot more cratered because of the side that faces outer space. It looks like a stone ocean~
Old 2010-12-22, 22:07   Link #74
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
One more astronomy tidbit for ya: the next closest star after our own Sun is Alpha Centurai, at 4.37 light years away from our Sun

tells you how big space and the universe is... far beyond human comprehension

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-22, 22:13   Link #75
Yuno
Balanced Diet

Whoa, that is really far away! I haven't heard about Alpha Centurai, what is it like? Is it large like ours or in a different stage?

Space is so vast and interesting, I wish I could explore it XD
Old 2010-12-22, 22:21   Link #76
Amutox89
~ the odd one ~

Texas horned toads can shoot blood out of the corners or their eyes

also, Boanthropy is a disease in which a man thinks he is a cow.
Old 2010-12-23, 11:08   Link #77
JRendell
Manga Addict

Moo... crap!

If you attempted to count all the stars in a galaxy at a rate of one every second it would take around 3,000 years to count them all.
JRendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-23, 11:10   Link #78
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amutox89 View Post
also, Boanthropy is a disease in which a man thinks he is a cow.
Geophagy is an act of eating human waste, soil or dirt.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-23, 12:28   Link #79
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
One more astronomy tidbit for ya: the next closest star after our own Sun is Alpha Centurai, at 4.37 light years away from our Sun
Partially correct; Alpha Centauri is actually a binary star system with a third star in the gravitational shadow of the primary two. Alpha Centauri itself is notable as it is the brightest star in the night sky, as it is actually two stars-- Alpha Centauri A and B.

The closest star to our planet is actually one of the three, Proxima Centauri, at 4.24 light years away.

The planet Gliese 581 g is a possible candidate for a "Goldilocks planet," a planet that may contain liquid water and other habitable conditions for Earth-like life. There are problems classifying it as such, however, due to the star it orbits being a red dwarf and the possibility that the planet is tidally locked to its star.
Old 2010-12-23, 12:46   Link #80
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
The planet Gliese 581 g is a possible candidate for a "Goldilocks planet," a planet that may contain liquid water and other habitable conditions for Earth-like life. There are problems classifying it as such, however, due to the star it orbits being a red dwarf and the possibility that the planet is tidally locked to its star.
So what is wrong with a planet being tidally locked to its star? The liquid water over the surface will always flow towards the bright side of the planet like some giant sentient slug chasing the light?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote