AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-06-18, 01:27   Link #1
Cirek

Good codecs!?

Hi!

Just got myself a new computer and I thought that I had taken all the codecs I had before but it seems that some movie files are not working anymore.

Does anyone have a good knowledge on what codecs should be enough to watch all or atleast most video files at this moment... I have some Nero codecs, DIvX and some other too but seems they are not engouh.

Also if you can please post a link too.

Thank you!
Cirek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-18, 01:33   Link #2
Dopeskills
Thigh Master

Send a message via ICQ to Dopeskills Send a message via AIM to Dopeskills Send a message via MSN to Dopeskills
Refer to this thread.
Dopeskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-18, 02:55   Link #3
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirek
Hi!

Just got myself a new computer and I thought that I had taken all the codecs I had before but it seems that some movie files are not working anymore.

Does anyone have a good knowledge on what codecs should be enough to watch all or atleast most video files at this moment... I have some Nero codecs, DIvX and some other too but seems they are not engouh.

Also if you can please post a link too.

Thank you!
I would suggest that you uninstall all of that, particularly the Nemo codecs. Codec packs mess up your system and it is nearly impossible to figure out why your videos won't play. Just refer to the Media Configuration Guide and install the codecs that are recommended there. Just make sure you uninstall what you currently have first. If you do that, everything should play without any conflicts.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-18, 15:45   Link #4
DigitalisAkujin
Web Developer

Send a message via AIM to DigitalisAkujin Send a message via MSN to DigitalisAkujin
How about you do this in this order:
Install Divx 5.1.1 Pro
Install XVid 1.0.1 available at http://www.digitalisakujin.com/bin/X...Compile%5d.zip
Install PowerDVD for MPEG2 Codecs

Xvid I compiled myself on an AMD XP 2600+ using Visual Studio 6 so it should be fairly easily compatible with Pentium systems.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2004-06-19 at 02:00. Reason: Because I am an anal bitch who doesn't like to see software piracy advocated on this board.
DigitalisAkujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-19, 03:20   Link #5
Cruzz
Europeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalisAkujin
How about you do this in this order:
Install Divx 5.1.1 Pro
Install XVid 1.0.1 available at http://www.digitalisakujin.com/bin/X...Compile%5d.zip
Install PowerDVD for MPEG2 Codecs

Xvid I compiled myself on an AMD XP 2600+ using Visual Studio 6 so it should be fairly easily compatible with Pentium systems.
1. What's the point of installing DIVX? It's useless unless you *really* want to encode something with divx (and even then you're better off with xvid)

2. I'd rather not install shady compiles from random forum posters. Nothing wrong with Koepi's builds.

3. Seems somewhat pointless; every (commercial) DVD player comes with MPEG2 decoder codecs.
Cruzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-20, 16:54   Link #6
DigitalisAkujin
Web Developer

Send a message via AIM to DigitalisAkujin Send a message via MSN to DigitalisAkujin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzz
1. What's the point of installing DIVX? It's useless unless you *really* want to encode something with divx (and even then you're better off with xvid)

2. I'd rather not install shady compiles from random forum posters. Nothing wrong with Koepi's builds.

3. Seems somewhat pointless; every (commercial) DVD player comes with MPEG2 decoder codecs.
1)Divx is still used despite Xvid's supiriority.
2)If I wanted to infect you with one of my bots I would have binded the zip with the exe instead of having you go through the trouble of hitting install on the .inf file.
3)Have you ever concidered some people watch DVDs on their computer?
Old 2004-06-21, 04:29   Link #7
Cruzz
Europeon

Quote:
1)Divx is still used despite Xvid's supiriority.
2)If I wanted to infect you with one of my bots I would have binded the zip with the exe instead of having you go through the trouble of hitting install on the .inf file.
3)Have you ever concidered some people watch DVDs on their computer?
1. Perhaps, but xvid can decode divx more or less fine and ffdshow can decode it even better. Also, divx's habit of hijacking all the fourccs it supports is annoying.

2. I still fail to see the point in using obscure builds instead of the tried and true ones. Also, inf installs aren't exactly hard

3. Have you considered reading what I said? All commercial DVD players come with the required decoders, PowerDVD is far from the only one.
Cruzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-21, 15:52   Link #8
DigitalisAkujin
Web Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzz
1. Perhaps, but xvid can decode divx more or less fine and ffdshow can decode it even better. Also, divx's habit of hijacking all the fourccs it supports is annoying.

2. I still fail to see the point in using obscure builds instead of the tried and true ones. Also, inf installs aren't exactly hard

3. Have you considered reading what I said? All commercial DVD players come with the required decoders, PowerDVD is far from the only one.
1) I guess thats totally someone's prefference then.

2) The build is exactly following xvid's build instruction. I added nothing onto it.

3) Perhaps you should specify. People can read that and think a real home theater DVD player. Not a program.
Old 2004-06-22, 19:28   Link #9

I'm just trying to watch some naruto my friend gave me. The first time I tried to play it (Windows Media Player) I got nothing, so I downloaded a codec pack (free-codec's all-in-one pack) and now I have sound but still no picture, do I need a different codec or is something else the problem? As I understand it I need the same one he used to burn the DVD's, right?
...... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-22, 22:18   Link #10
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。

Send a message via ICQ to KeinikuSuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by ......
I'm just trying to watch some naruto my friend gave me.
If you're looking for the super easy to install, works right out of the box option, download and install Video LAN.

Video LAN Player Download

This program works on 99.2% of all video files right out of the box. It's controls are somewhat clumbsy versus other players, but it works and it's easy.
KeinikuSuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-22, 23:17   Link #11
DigitalisAkujin
Web Developer

The upsite to VLP is that it uses it's own decryption algorythims to display video.

Here's the downside:
No overlay (for people that watch anime on a TV connected to a computer thats a problem)
Some basics like mouse not dissapearing over top of video and such.
Program is generally still unstable and I beleive should still be in the beta stages.
Old 2004-06-23, 01:16   Link #12
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Here's the downside:
No overlay (for people that watch anime on a TV connected to a computer thats a problem)
Depending on your video card that could be an upside. Some video cards handle overlay output rather awkwardly.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-23, 20:31   Link #13
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。

Send a message via ICQ to KeinikuSuki
Quote:
Here's the downside:
Some basics like mouse not dissapearing over top of video and such.
Program is generally still unstable and I beleive should still be in the beta stages.
Honestly, Video LAN is not a very good media player, and I don't personally use it. However, it's so easy, that my dear sweet grandmother could figure out how to download and install it. For a person who only watches a few episodes of Naruto, there isn't really a need to spend an hour downloading and installing 8 different codecs. This becomes especially true when people are directed to the (no offense intended to the author) somewhat cryptic Media Configuration Guide.

What's worse, these same people are tricked into installing

Quote:
Install Divx 5.1.1 Pro
which infects their computer indefinatly with annoying spyware just because they wanted to watch a few episodes of anime.
KeinikuSuki is offline   Reply With Quote