AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-11-21, 04:43   Link #1221
macdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by August138 View Post
No, I didn't.

The first name is ヴァルス・ラング (Warusu Rangu), the given name seems to recall "Wallace", while the family name is "Lang", since this sounds too Earthbound, I suggested "Valess Rang". The second character is パレン・ネルゲ (Paren Neruge), the given name seems to invoke "Pallen", while the family name can be transliterated as "Nerge". I choose "Palen Nerge". I can't recall how the names are rendered in the subtitles.
As i said, you suggested. Besides the B/P snafoo you atributed to your poor eyesight. XD
But whatever way their names are rendered, it's a bit of a moot point since
Spoiler:
XD
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-24, 14:41   Link #1222
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I should be getting my copy of Chapter 3 on Monday.

Gamilas lives are so fleeting...when Yamato is present.
Old 2012-11-24, 16:16   Link #1223
August138

A few words on the English Subtitles for Chapter 3: It's a weird break from the previous translations, and what we actually hear. It's not a one-time thing either, every instance of Gamilas or Gamilans in Volume 3 is "Garmillas" or "Garmillans". There were a few other odd spellings as well, like "Hyss" instead of Hiss, but putting an "r" in Gamilas changes the pronunciation.

What's up with the Translation Team, and why aren't they sticking to their previous translations or guidelines?
Old 2012-11-24, 16:21   Link #1224
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Hmmm...or "Galmillas" maybe? (I am aware of the "R = L" issue the Japanese language has from time to time) A throwback to the Galman-Gamilas Empire?

Just a weird theory to throw out there.
Old 2012-11-24, 16:58   Link #1225
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Hmmm...or "Galmillas" maybe? (I am aware of the "R = L" issue the Japanese language has from time to time) A throwback to the Galman-Gamilas Empire?

Nope. It has nothing to do with that at all. While dialogue says, "Gamirasu", the subs are wrong; and inconsistent. I guess there was little or no QC on this volume, because of various misspellings of "Gamilas", including "Gamilus" during Dessler's speech (even though "Gamilas" is also used). This is completely a QC problem, which does not stem from the Japanese dialogue or scripts. So, this begs the question: What the hell happened?

FYI, I double-checked some of Japanese text materials for YAMATO: 2199, and there are no additional itterations beyond ガミラス "Gamirasu" (Gamilas), ガミラス人 "Gamirasu-jin" (Gamilans), and ガミロン "Gamiron" (Gamilon).

Last edited by August138; 2012-11-24 at 18:38.
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 04:34   Link #1226
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I'm really enjoying 2199 (sake is back! ). I used to enjoy the original Yamato (Starblazers), but it has aged very poorly on the visual front, to the point it's almost unwatchable to me.

I just wish releases were faster. :/
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 06:06   Link #1227
MasterVampire

Are any new episodes out yet?
MasterVampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 06:14   Link #1228
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I should be getting my copy of episodes 7 - 10 in a day or two. They were released a few days ago.

Episodes 11 - 14 will be in theaters (in Japan) in January with BD release in February.
Old 2012-11-26, 21:51   Link #1229
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Chapter 3 arrived today and I decided to watch all ten episodes.

They were quite interesting these last four episodes.

Spoiler for Chapter 3 spoilers:

Onward to Chapter 4!

Also Dessler has be ruling for 103 years at this point. Doesn't look a day over 30.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-11-26 at 22:19.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-27, 10:41   Link #1230
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Also Dessler has be ruling for 103 years at this point. Doesn't look a day over 30.
The Big Bad Blue is immortal.
Old 2012-11-27, 13:54   Link #1231
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Also by episode 10, the OP music has shifted to the more upbeat version of the song (the visuals are still the same), much like the originals show shifted versions of the main theme song depending on the content of the episode. (The version used in epiosde 10 is the basis for the Star Blazers theme).
Old 2012-11-27, 15:30   Link #1232
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Do they have that glorious scarlet scarf song from the trailer in the new eps?
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-27, 15:32   Link #1233
Cyprene

Quote:
Nope. It has nothing to do with that at all. While dialogue says, "Gamirasu", the subs are wrong; and inconsistent. I guess there was little or no QC on this volume, because of various misspellings of "Gamilas", including "Gamilus" during Dessler's speech (even though "Gamilas" is also used). This is completely a QC problem, which does not stem from the Japanese dialogue or scripts. So, this begs the question: What the hell happened?
Oddly enough, the director of the show personally decided he wanted the English spellings changed. I guess he only saw the glossary we send partway through the show? Anyway, he makes the show, he gets to pick how the names are spelled.
Cyprene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-27, 15:46   Link #1234
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Do they have that glorious scarlet scarf song from the trailer in the new eps?
It is the ED for each of these four episodes, plus gets "played" as an oldie in Episode 7 as one of YRA Radio Yamato's first songs. Episode 7 has at least three "in show" songs played. The Cosmo Navy's march is played during the party after Okita's speech. One of the other songs is played by Kodai on hermonica. Then the Scarlet Scarf over the radio at the end of the episode (before the credits were you hear it again).

Episode 8 also has some interesting dialogue in the Gamilas general staff. It seems there is a greater conflict of some kind going on with the Empire bringing order to "barbarians" over the course of Dessler's reign. They seem to be having a particular problem area (aside from Earth) that has Dommel sent to deal with it personally. The main admirals seem to have various opinions about the campaign. Zoellick seeingly is prideful of the fleet and seems to have issues with Dommel (based on facial reaction to the name) and is the superior over Goer. Gal (the hot pilot's father) is more mindful and warns of overconfidence (a wise call from knowing this tale in relation to all things Yamato). I do like how Dessler has been told the name of the ship before, but didn't really care all that much. It was to be the entertainment for the evening (Schultz and the cloud creature vs. Yamato), until it survived the "perfect" trap and Schultz. He seems impressed (if slightly put out that it defeated his Empire). He asked for the name of the ship again, and this time "he will remember it" My reaction was "Oh I bet you will remember that name...for the rest of your life. For good or ill, Yamato will always be a part of the Empire's life."

One thing I did notice as a sort of cross over from Japanese to English. In Star Blazers, the song of the Scarlet Scarf is instrumental in the old episode 10 aside from the very end of the song which places the English words "We will Return" to the final notes. Interesting that in Yamato 2199, in Episode 7 as the song ends, Kodai yells that (in Japanese of course) towards Earth. It the same place those words would have been in the English version of the song. I don't know if that was intentional, or just a happy similarity.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-11-28 at 14:22.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-28, 00:12   Link #1235
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprene View Post
Oddly enough, the director of the show personally decided he wanted the English spellings changed. I guess he only saw the glossary we send partway through the show? Anyway, he makes the show, he gets to pick how the names are spelled.
Thanks for bringing that to the fore, although that does make a huge continuity error, whether intentional or not. So, what are the "official" spellings, now? And by "director", you mean Yutaka Izubuchi, correct?
Old 2012-11-28, 01:29   Link #1236
Cyprene

Quote:
Thanks for bringing that to the fore, although that does make a huge continuity error, whether intentional or not. So, what are the "official" spellings, now? And by "director", you mean Yutaka Izubuchi, correct?
Presumably. It goes through a lot of layers before I'm told anything, but that's the message I was given. Official spellings are now presumably whatever you see on the disc.
Cyprene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-28, 03:32   Link #1237
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

So they are officially "Garmillas" now?

Have they defined what a Gamilon is than?
Old 2012-11-28, 11:53   Link #1238
GundamFan0083

Quote:
So they are officially "Garmillas" now?

Have they defined what a Gamilon is than?
Sounds like what Star Trek did with the Romulans and Vulcans.

You have the Remans from Remus, Romulans from Romulus, and the Vulcans all being essentially the same race, but from different worlds.
I assume the Garmans are the same race as the Gamilus, but both are part of the Garmillus Empire?

That's assuming the Director has a reason for these spelling changes.
I hope he does, otherwise this is going to be the first real degredation of this series and considering how awesome its been so far, it would be a real shame if this kind of laziness started.
Old 2012-11-28, 12:32   Link #1239
macdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprene View Post
Official spellings are now presumably whatever you see on the disc.
I don't get it. If they wanted a new spelling, why start it in volume 3? They've used Gamilas in the previous releases so why now? Personally i think the Garmillas thing was an error, period.

As for the different iterations i think it goes like this:

GAMILAS: Name of the home world and race (in Japanese or other Earth language)
GAMILAN: An individual from planet Gamilas. On a limb, i'd say it may also reffer to their language.
GAMILON: possible gamilan pronounciation of GAMILAS. This does go against something that has happened 'till now. Though we hear them speak japanese, gamilan names for planets (and a few other expressions like GHARE and HILUN PIUZHERON) are kept in the dialogue in their language (eg. TERON, PLAT, ZUPIST, etc.), therefore, they should still say GAMILON when speaking in japanese while the Yamato's crew used GAMILAS. Don't know if i'm being clear.

I won't dig up the GAMILUS Dessler drops in his speach as that might just be an intonation thing.
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-28, 12:33   Link #1240
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

If it is official, I point back to my first comment on the subject

Quote:

Plausible?

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato