AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Chuunibyou

Notices

Old 2012-09-06, 13:40   Link #381
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

FukuJun is fine at playing a certain type of adult (and at pandas) but I find him wholly unconvincing playing teenagers. YMMV.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 20:26   Link #382
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Updated (somewhat) character designs/summaries. (Three are still uncolored, but that is due to KyoAni, not myself.)

Yuuta Togashi (富樫勇太):
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
This story's protagonist. A punctual, calm, and helpful lad. He's one of those boys doesn't stand out much these days. But to be honest, he suffered from a severe case of chuunibyou when he was in middle school. It was bad enough to drive away his classmates. Given a new chance in his high school career, he sealed away his past and vowed never to be infected again. But now that he's connected to Rikka, will his chuunibyou flare up again?
Spoiler for chuunibyou description:

Rikka Takanashi (小鳥遊六花):
Images
A girl suffering from chuunibyou. A somewhat intense girl who you shouldn't assume can't talk for a while. With her made-up power, the Devilish Truth Stare, she engulfs her surroundings (especially Yuuta). Though she's become attached to Yuuta, she has a severe fear of strangers and adapts a battle pose whenever she meets someone for the first time. Considerably clumsy, she often trips and forgets things.

Shinka Nibutani (丹生谷森夏):
Images
Yuuta's classmate and class rep. One of the most popular girls in the class due to her looks. Cheerful and diligent, she enjoys taking care of people. Really, she's the leader of the class.

Kumin Tsuyuri (五月七日くみん):
Images
One year ahead of the others. This possessor of a talent to sleep anywhere always carries a pillow in her bag. She's so carefree that she's able to create a warm, calm atmosphere wherever she goes. She also can invoke a talent "Cell Phone no Cell Phone" that increases the rate of her finding a lost item 7-fold.

Sanae Dekomori (凸守早苗):
Images
Attracted by Rikka's Devilish Truth Stare, this third year middle schooler serves as Rikka's Servant. Because she's a bit reckless and silly, she often ends up hurting herself. Fallen ill to the same type of chuunibyou Rikka had, she also can go on a rampage greater than any in the rainy season. Naturally, she's a walking annoyance.

Yuuta's Mom (勇太の母):
Images
Yuuta's paternal mother. A woman who goes about the world in her own way, playing with her children. She often leaves the house empty due to how busy her job keeps her. Her husband is working in Jakarta currently.

Kuzuha Togashi (富樫樟葉):
Images
Yuuta's sister who is a first year middle schooler. Not only is she dependable, she's talented at cooking. When her mother and father are absent, she and Yuuta split the chores between them.

Yumeha Togashi (富樫夢葉):
Images
Yuuta and Kuzuha's younger sister. One of the older kindergarden students in her class. A precocious child who often demands to play house realistically.

Makato Isshiki (一色誠):
Images
To begin with, he's Yuuta's closest friend. You could say he's got a cool character; straightforward and never giving up. He's always checking out the girls and trying to show off his manliness.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT

Last edited by ultimatemegax; 2012-09-06 at 20:40.
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 20:34   Link #383
Mura
Now or Never

Send a message via AIM to Mura Send a message via MSN to Mura
Makato's chuunibyou descrition where is always adding info to his database reminded me of Satoshi from Hyouka. Thanks for the info on these characters though, I can't wait to see these abilities in action.
Old 2012-09-06, 20:39   Link #384
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mura View Post
Makato's chuunibyou descrition where is always adding info to his database reminded me of Satoshi from Hyouka. Thanks for the info on these characters though, I can't wait to see these abilities in action.
I'll comment that Isshiki keeps his own database of a certain type. I was happy to see that was kept from the novels.

Old 2012-09-06, 20:45   Link #385
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Considering the female cast, I too would prefer seeing a new seiyuu for Yuuta. I mean really new, though. None of the up-and-coming male seiyuu I can think of impressed me so far. On the other hand, I can see Fukuyama Jun pull of a great Yuuta. I somehow reminded of his role as Watanuki and think that'll somehow fitted.
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 20:57   Link #386
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

so i heard they only adapted 1st volume then add some anime original. does this mean the anime 1 cour?

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 21:01   Link #387
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
so i heard they only adapted 1st volume then add some anime original. does this mean the anime 1 cour?
It has not been confirmed, but it is highly probable that Chu2koi will only be one cour long.

Old 2012-09-06, 21:19   Link #388
OPN

With FukuJun voicing the lead im now really looking forward to the anime. Hes one of my favorite seiyuu
Old 2012-09-07, 00:03   Link #389
rulfo

Wait what? It's confirmed? Jun Fukuyama is really voicing the lead?
rulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 00:06   Link #390
sona-nyl
Actually an Alligator

Waitwaitwait! Wasn't the lead going to be voiced by a new seiyuu?
Old 2012-09-07, 00:19   Link #391
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

It's still a rumor at this point (a "leak"). I'm just giving my opinion if that is true. Also,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
I believe it is from one of the magazines released on the 10th each month where we get leaks (like that image shown earlier today). Ishihara never said anything about the male cast; only that they wanted new talent for the female cast. Yuuta was cast prior to any of the female cast.
Old 2012-09-07, 02:22   Link #392
rulfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
It's still a rumor at this point (a "leak"). I'm just giving my opinion if that is true. Also,
well now it ain't...

http://www.anime-chu-2.com/character/yuta/

There's something in Jun Fukuyama's voice that I just can't imagine how he'll fit.

I'm trying to picture him using Itsuki's(Rental Magica) voice Yuta and somehow find it not fitting.

Oh well. Let's see how this plays.

Also Makoto Ishikki will be voiced by Souichiro Hoshi.
Old 2012-09-07, 02:43   Link #393
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

then again he sound very fitting for Dark Flame Master

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 02:48   Link #394
rulfo

No doubt. I love his voice serious voice. Very majestic.
Old 2012-09-07, 02:51   Link #395
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulfo View Post
See, that is exactly the kind of VA I didn't want for Togashi. I'm pleased.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 03:41   Link #396
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulfo View Post
well now it ain't...

http://www.anime-chu-2.com/character/yuta/

There's something in Jun Fukuyama's voice that I just can't imagine how he'll fit.

I'm trying to picture him using Itsuki's(Rental Magica) voice Yuta and somehow find it not fitting.

Oh well. Let's see how this plays.

By some fate, I've been playing Star Ocean 3 the past few weeks (see what I did there?). He has what I'd called a soft hero voice. There isn't much infomation about his characters though, so I'll just wait and see on that one.

I'm not excited but happy about Fukuyama Jun as Yuuta. Not excited because I can imagine how he'll do it, but happy because I think he'll fit him very well.
Old 2012-09-07, 06:02   Link #397
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

The cast added today:
Yuuta Togashi: Jun Fukuyama
Yuuta's mom: Yuri Amano
Kuzuha Togashi: Kaori Fukuhara
Yumeha Togashi: Mami Shitara
Makoto Isshiki: Souichirou Hoshi

Old 2012-09-08, 01:45   Link #398
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Old 2012-09-08, 19:35   Link #399
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
Translation (character descriptions are 90% similar to before, thus no translation):
Chuunibyou was "cute"?!
Unleash the sealed Devilish Truth Stare!

(Images at top)
Rikka's a bit shy when meeting strangers, but for some reason she's become attached to Yuuta. Hope her head's all right from that tapping.

What kind of power is that "Devilish Truth Stare" sealed underneath her eyepatch?! That's definitely not your ordinary right eye!

(Text box at top)
Frankly, Rikka is amazing!
Uchida-san claims "I want to be pulled around the world by Rikka!" Just what is Rikka's appeal?
"Let's see. First, it's alright that she's a bit clumsy! It was so cute when Yuuta was tapping her on the head with that scale! Oh! I think her "chuunibyou poses" are so cool! I want to seal my arm too~"

Has this sweet girl....been brainwashed by this dark atmosphere?! Let's hunt for the voice of Rikka Takanashi, Maaya Uchida! It would be a disaster if playing the "chuunibyou high schooler" role has influenced her to hide secret powers behind eyepatches/bandages and uttering ridiculous phrases!
"Rikka's awfully cute. I'm not the chuunibyou type, but I have a lot of fun voicing her. It's a difficult role; I have to voice katakana phrases and kanji I've never heard of before...."
Certainly that goes for Rikka's trademark "Devilish Truth Stare" too. Well, maybe everyone's spoken like one of those patients before.
"Thinking back when I was a middle schooler... I remember chasing after an evil organization that I had made up all-throughout the town. I even had the theme song in my head, but then it suddenly rained...."
Is Uchida-san perfect for the chuunibyou role?! Could we see an actual Devilish Truth Stare unleashed as she plays Rikka?!

Contract Complete
(Top Left)
Rikka Takanashi: This chuunibyou patient spends her time above Yuuta's family. Sensing the same aura in Yuuta, the Devilish Truth Stare has bound him in a contract. Of course, that's a delusion.

(Top Right)
Think about it. If you were once a boy who said "Disappear in my flames of darkness!" and you met a beautiful girl who cutely said to you "Is my eye resonating with you?" And then that same cute girl tormented you with all of her troubles, well, you can't leave her alone. In short, that's the relationship that Yuuta and Rikka have.
When our heroine, Rikka, mentions her "cool rascal" phrases and begins her grand delusions, Yuuta rebukes her. Sometimes it brings that emotionless face to the point of tears. The chuunibyou portion was written by veteran scriptwriter Jukki Hanada, who combined pointless delusions and chuunibyou phrases into the story.
Hey you! Notice the out-of-this-world battle portions in the new PV on the official site! Things like that incredibly pointless, but flashy, magic circle called forth by Rikka's Devilish Truth Stare (that snow crystal crest) are all delusions. They're all delusional! Make sure you enjoy this (dazzling?!) romance!

(Pictures at top of page)
Thrilling Chuuni!
The new PV begins with pointless, but pretty awesome action from the Devilish Truth Stare. In between the action, you'll see a moment where Rikka's cowering after Yuuta's retort. Incidentally, you'll also see glimpses of Yuuta's chuunibyou past. Back then he was as infected as Rikka is now!

Let's Begin!
1. What's above chuunibyou
Though she numbers bring her thoughts to a sudden halt, Rikka's not that stupid. Could that problem with math be due to making up stories related to the Devilish Truth Stare? That's the key to this tale. When Yuuta finds out what makes Rikka, Rikka, this romantic comedy should change into a full romance. Keep track of that when Yuuta first has to make rebuttals to Rikka's delusions.

2. Explain about the Devilish Truth Stare!
The Devilish Truth Stare is an invisible dark power in Rikka's right eye that she keeps sealed by an eyepatch. It's almost as if it were some holy spirit. Once it begins to shine brightly, that snow crystal magic circle is invoked. It has the power to cross over time and see the past and future of her companion!....or so she made up. To make matters worse, there's a girl one year younger than Rikka, Sanae Dekomori, who calls herself Rikka's servant. With these two, the amount of chuunibyou has gotten worse!

Supervisor Tatsuya Ishihara interview (Please tell me!) (MINOR SPOILERS FOR THE ANIME)

Looking at the script, it seems Rikka is more clumsy and cute than she was in the novel.
Ishihara: When you think about chuunibyou, you think of something cool in your head, but as I was reading the novel, Rikka had more of a playful look to her when she was in front of Yuuta. I thought that was pretty good; I called her this "cool rascal." (laughs) I advised the animators and directors to ensure Rikka stayed as emotionless as a baby. "Keep that pure feeling."

Her amount of acting has grown, hasn't it?
Ishihara: She's the protagonist, isn't she? (laughs) If she doesn't do something, then the story doesn't move along. Unintentionally, perhaps by reflex, I put some of my own thoughts in with her. Well, I also did the same for Yuuta.

There's a lot more rebukes by Yuuta too.
Ishihara: It's not meant to be a two-person comedy act, but we made the idiotic rebukes between Rikka and Yuuta a little bit more powerful in the anime. Yuuta's comments are supposed to reflect what the audience's and I want to say in the scene as you watch it on TV. We ensured that thosee comments were added for Yuuta in the storyboards.

One of the big changes I saw to the anime is that Rikka's apartment is above the Togashis.
Ishihara: Putting the two together in the same building is a small change to make the story more entertaining. Yuuta's family is something to watch for in the anime. I don't want to spoil you, but keep track of how they affect the story.

Are there any other points to look for in the anime?
Ishihara: There's some here and there. I can safely say this is a KyoAni work; after all, we published the original novels, didn't we? This time, however, we altered a lot from the novel. The novel fans who see the anime will think it's something different due to how much we changed. The end of the story has been completely changed.

The action in the latest PV was amazing.
Ishihara: When we made the PV, I wanted to make it very thrilling. The whole concept was "The thrill of chuunibyou." (laughs) But to make sure the audience didn't get confused that it's a type of alternate world battle show, we made sure to show the characters over-acting and included a lot of gag scenes too. The anime itself is an entertaining and enjoyable romantic comedy. I think after seeing the first episode, people will say "What the?! This is just an ordinary romantic comedy!" (laughs)

Those delusional battle scenes left a big impression
Ishihara: The amount is increased from the original novel. They're a part of the fun of this story. We made sure that the magic circles were specialized for each character. For example, "Rikka" means crystallized snow. That's a bit of trivia for the readers. (laughs) So, thus the magic circle for the Devilish Truth Stare has snow crystals in it.

Oh! I see now!
Ishihara: This story is definitely a romantic comedy though. When you see things like the idiotic conversations/meetings between Rikka and Yuuta, I think you'll enjoy it. When you finish the entire show, you'll understand that it's meant to be a real romantic story. Please watch it through the very end.

Last edited by ultimatemegax; 2012-09-08 at 21:27. Reason: grammatic changes. Meh
Old 2012-09-08, 20:22   Link #400
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

I'm personally glad that Ishihara's emphasizing this as a romance. Crazy delusion scenes are nice, but in the end the romance what I'm going to watch this for.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chuunibyou, drama, romance, romantic comedy, school, seinen