AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-01-23, 21:00   Link #4061
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Location: First star to the left, you should go there sometime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I see Gon's being perceived as scary as mostly due to the fact that he's simply "different". Yes, he's scary in the sense that he's absurdly powerful for a child his age. But I don't think he's a lunatic or anything - he simply doesn't see the world the way other people do (the Palm interaction illustrates this wonderfully). He doesn't concern himself with anything except what truly matters - he prioritizes and ignores everything else.

It's a strange and slightly alien perspective, I admit. But I think Gon has a moral compass, and I don't worry for a minute that he'd turn into a Hisoka - or worse - when the chips are down. Gon's instincts point him in the right direction both in terms of practicality (most of the time) and justice.
Speaking of chips... Does anyone think the ED gives us any hints or insight on where Gon's developement and character may head? I'm mostly refering to the part where we see the black and white Gungi pieces tossed upwards and spot Killua, Komugi, and Netero's faces on the white pieces while Meruem, Pitou, and Gon's faces are on the black.
Student no.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-24, 03:57   Link #4062
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I see Gon's being perceived as scary as mostly due to the fact that he's simply "different". Yes, he's scary in the sense that he's absurdly powerful for a child his age. But I don't think he's a lunatic or anything - he simply doesn't see the world the way other people do (the Palm interaction illustrates this wonderfully). He doesn't concern himself with anything except what truly matters - he prioritizes and ignores everything else.

It's a strange and slightly alien perspective, I admit. But I think Gon has a moral compass, and I don't worry for a minute that he'd turn into a Hisoka - or worse - when the chips are down. Gon's instincts point him in the right direction both in terms of practicality (most of the time) and justice.
He could be the poster child for "blue and orange morality" on TV Tropes, indeed. But I guess that the "scariness" comes exactly from not understanding his parameters. You can tell he won't go all Hisoka on you, but you can't tell how he'll act in more legitimate moral choices. From Killua you can expect practicality and utilitaniarism, Kurapika has an almost Kantian form of absolute personal morality. Gon oscillates wildly between the true. He can be perfectly okay with befriending Killua despite him being an assassin and then reproach the Phantom Troupe's Nobunaga for the very same reason. Maybe it makes sense to him, but to everyone else it's confusing and scary (the scary part comes from him being able to punch his way through a wall of concrete with ease).

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-24, 11:07   Link #4063
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHINOBI-03 View Post
My dear child... you haven't heard enough of the narrator.
Please no x_x

Just WHY?! We had so many arcs and we never needed so much narration before, everything was clear without it. Why now?!

I'm not an idiot and pretty sure many others are not either. I don't need for things to be spelled out to me. It is seriously killing the arc.
Old 2014-01-24, 11:08   Link #4064
Clarste
Human

Also worth noting that he's acting out of vengeance here. Nothing the King or Royal Guard have done could possibly be considered "evil", since they're just animals acting out their instincts, and in normal circumstances Gon would understand that better than anyone else. Yet because one of them killed Kite, suddenly it's personal for him, and he's projecting some of the "evil" of earlier ants such as the centaur and the armadillo onto them. His hatred towards Pitou is unlike anything we've seen from him before. Even when he yelled at Nobunaga that was coming from his unusual principles, whereas his current behavior is entirely unprincipled.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-24, 14:20   Link #4065
SHINOBI-03

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Please no x_x

Just WHY?! We had so many arcs and we never needed so much narration before, everything was clear without it. Why now?!

I'm not an idiot and pretty sure many others are not either. I don't need for things to be spelled out to me. It is seriously killing the arc.
There are times when a narrator works better than characters monologuing to themselves in their heads.
SHINOBI-03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-24, 20:41   Link #4066
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Also worth noting that he's acting out of vengeance here. Nothing the King or Royal Guard have done could possibly be considered "evil", since they're just animals acting out their instincts, and in normal circumstances Gon would understand that better than anyone else. Yet because one of them killed Kite, suddenly it's personal for him, and he's projecting some of the "evil" of earlier ants such as the centaur and the armadillo onto them. His hatred towards Pitou is unlike anything we've seen from him before. Even when he yelled at Nobunaga that was coming from his unusual principles, whereas his current behavior is entirely unprincipled.
But they aren't animals. They can reason and remember their past human lives. They don't have to eat humans. They view humans as inferior ( as animals) and that is a motive for their eating humans imo.
Old 2014-01-24, 21:13   Link #4067
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
But they aren't animals. They can reason and remember their past human lives. They don't have to eat humans. They view humans as inferior ( as animals) and that is a motive for their eating humans imo.
I don't see why reason would convince them to not eat humans. And the Royal Guard/King don't remember their humanity as much as the others. Ironically, this makes them less cruel.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-24, 21:13   Link #4068
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Location: First star to the left, you should go there sometime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Made me wonder at one point if Meruem and his Royal Knights also have human recollections too, though that doesn't seem to be the case, especially for Meruem.
Student no.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-25, 07:53   Link #4069
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

It's probably because the royal guard are an amalgam of many creatures rather than the regular ants who tend to have a single human base.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-27, 08:02   Link #4070
Hiroshi Amearai
Nuclear Fusion

http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/ne...ai-passes-away
Netero's voice actor passed away today. RIP
Old 2014-01-27, 08:28   Link #4071
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Very,very sad news. I wonder how much of the remaining episodes have already been recorded - probably a good many.

RIP Nagai-san. Somehow, his brief but brilliant turn as the alien ramen ojii-san in Space Dandy seems like a fitting farewell.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-27, 09:39   Link #4072
Gaulek

The Last Mission ost: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw4Yl...jBFzJ-pbbvSOTt
I want to hear them soon in the anime.
Gaulek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-27, 11:20   Link #4073
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroshi Amearai View Post
Sad news. He was a great voice actor. Whoever they get to replace him will have big shoes to fill.
Old 2014-01-27, 12:20   Link #4074
Blaat

RIP, he had a such a distinct and loved some of his character (Reichwein from Monster). Can't believe he was still voice acting at 83 I guess he really loved it.
Old 2014-01-27, 14:28   Link #4075
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

A great loss indeed... =(
Old 2014-01-27, 16:16   Link #4076
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Damn! That's a very unfortunate turn of events
Old 2014-01-28, 02:12   Link #4077
monir
cho~ kakkoii

I've finally caught up to episode 113. Now I wish I waited further. This probably has been observed by others in this thread, but which came first: Cell Saga or this arc? I don't even know if Akira Toriyama continued his story beyond the Frieza Arc. For whatever reason I'm under the impression that Cell Saga was anime-original story.

Quote:
Great loss!
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-28, 08:25   Link #4078
SHINOBI-03

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
I've finally caught up to episode 113. Now I wish I waited further. This probably has been observed by others in this thread, but which came first: Cell Saga or this arc? I don't even know if Akira Toriyama continued his story beyond the Frieza Arc. For whatever reason I'm under the impression that Cell Saga was anime-original story.
Not sure if serious or not... You're asking if Dragon Ball, a series spanned from early 80s to mid 90s came before a series from the 2000? Dude, sometimes you need to do your own research!
SHINOBI-03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-28, 10:07   Link #4079
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Cell Saga came first of course. And it's manga material. Toriyama had in mind to end it after Frieza, true, but then he was convinced to keep it going for a while. He did everything until the Majin Bu saga and the end of Dragonball Z. Then he decided he had enough and Toei was left on its own devices... and conceived the monstrosity that is Dragonball GT.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-28, 11:26   Link #4080
Maxtro

Quote:
Great question.

I'd wondered that too since the King could easily be one of Cell's forms.
Maxtro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, shounen