Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-08-24, 11:10   Link #1
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Open Sessions?

It there a way of limiting open sessions made by Azureus? I have no clue what sessions are, but my modem has a limit of 1024 sessions allowed. If it goes over that, then the modem resets. What could be done?
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-25, 11:33   Link #2
Wervy
Cutely Pervy

Have you tried lowering your maximum number of connections in the options?
Old 2009-08-25, 21:20   Link #3
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Yeah.... I'm assuming that someone is interestingly using the term "sessions" for "connections" in regard to the modem. Most low-end modems can be easily swamped by an un-throttled un-managed torrent client (they only have so much memory and cache, eh?).

Set your total number of connections to something far less than 1024 (really less than a 100 I'd say if you have to share the connection with anyone). If your client doesn't have a global limiter... then set each torrent's maximum connection to something reasonable so that the total number isn't too high. I seem to recall that Azeurus has knobs galore for this (set by torrent and set by total global)

Remember that you need sessions/connections for web pages, irc, ssh, games - and each one might require 1 to 10 or more.

The alternative is knocking out more money for a more powerful modem -- *usually* the more money you spend, the bigger the onboard memory and handling capability you're buying but check the specs (and yes, vendors often obfuscate or wave their arms).
Old 2009-08-27, 20:14   Link #4
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Thanks for the replies guys. And yeah, the modem uses sessions, so I guess I have to set the connections in Azureus.

Also, my modem only has 14 MB of RAM, whatever that is. When I reset, it says 85% of the RAM is full, so I'm also thinking that something's wrong with the modem. If it's getting way too old (4 years running now) I might be taking your advice and get a new modem~
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 22:36   Link #5
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Sounds like the firmware reserves most of that RAM with pre-allocated memory buffers and housekeeping whatnot. They're obviously assuming the old style (web app or maybe one game) load of connection.
Old 2009-08-28, 04:24   Link #6
Jill Valentine

Hey it's better you try uTorrent it's fast and i think you can limit sessions.
Jill Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 15:17   Link #7
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

It's alot better to get a new modem and hook it to a router, unless you are hooked up to one. With a router, it will be a bit more secure since hooking directly to the modem can expose all your ports to the internet. Also, with most routers, it will give you more flexibility and control opposed to a modem. A router may not be necessary, but it's recommended.

If you use Cable for your internet, any cable modem should work, but check the reviews before buying... but if you use DSL, you may want to check with the provider before buying.