Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-10, 21:40   Link #1
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Emotionally Sad Animes

Lately i've been into emotionally sad animes. After watching Clannad After Story, i've seem to want more of them. Can anyone suggest any for me?

I don't really care for genre, i like any. The sadness makes my heart leap

~Aoie ^^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2009-03-10, 21:58   Link #2
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

the saddest anime I've seen were probably Now and Then Here and There, Iriya no Sora UFO no natsu, and Nana. All 3 of those should get you royally fucking depressed.
Old 2009-03-10, 22:04   Link #3
sa547
*Author

Graveyard of the Fireflies. Even more than two decades it's still a powerful tearjerker.
Quote:
Alternately known as Tombstone for Fireflies, Grave is a very somber film about the struggle of two children to survive during World War II. Seita and his younger sister Setsuko are left to fend for themselves when their mother passes away from severe burns inflicted by the American fire-bombing of their town. Their father is serving in the Japanese navy, but the children have not heard from him in a long time, so Seita and Setsuko try staying with a distant relative. However, Seita doesn't get along well with this relative and decides to leave, taking Setsuko with him, to live on their own.

Some interesting trivia: when this film debuted in Japanese theaters, it was shown as a double-feature with My Neighbor Totoro!
Old 2009-03-10, 22:29   Link #4
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

I've seen Iriya and Graves.

I'll have to test out those other 2

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2009-03-10, 22:34   Link #5
blue skies
noch einmal?

In b4 Saikano and Elfen Lied.

lol, you sound like me. Anyway, hard seconds for Grave of the Fireflies and Now and Then, Here and There. Also recommending Hanbun no Tsuki Ga Noboru Sora and Kimi ga Nozomu Eien. Both series severely depleted my Kleenex supply.

If you want something longer + bucketloads of melancholy, you could try Blood + or Full Moon Wo Sagashite. And I'm going to suggest Toward the Terra too, just to be obscure and cool and because it's incredible. I cried more watching that one than any other anime I've seen. So damn depressing.
Old 2009-03-10, 22:46   Link #6
Rawgers
Nyaa~

Since you may thought Clannad ~After Story was sad, I'll recommend that you watch Kanon (2006) and Air. I shall also add Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, which may get you pretty depressed.

I'll second NANA for its sadness.
Old 2009-03-10, 22:51   Link #7
wOoOzZy
Master Blaster

Now and Then Here and There, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, and Saikano are all good suggestions. Saikano, being the saddest thing I've ever seen, is what I recommend.

Grave of the Fireflies didn't really get to me that much. But that's probably just me.

blue skies: I think I'll take up your suggestion of Toward the Terra. Seems like it got good reviews.
Old 2009-03-10, 23:09   Link #8
Fuzzy_Bunny

Others might have differing opinions, but I believe that True Tears and Sola were 2 deep and sad anime.
Old 2009-03-10, 23:25   Link #9
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Wow, I haven't seen any of these...I feel very innocent.

Rozen Maiden: Traumend goes straight from funny to sad within 12 episodes. I'm pretty sure it's not nearly as bad as the ones suggested, so I'm going to try those.
Old 2009-03-10, 23:27   Link #10
blue skies
noch einmal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wOoOzZy View Post
blue skies: I think I'll take up your suggestion of Toward the Terra. Seems like it got good reviews.
omg, do it. It's one of the most tragically underwatched and underrated anime out there, and it's so amazingly good. Loads of people are missing out. I've never been so attached to characters before, and I've never bawled so embarrassingly hard over an anime either. It's easily one of my all-time favorites.

If you do check it out, tell me what you think. :>
Old 2009-03-10, 23:44   Link #11
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Hard second for Now and There, Here and There. Add to that, Texhnolyze and Haibane Renmei; Texhnolyze and NTHT for their sheer brutality that never fails to make me weep and Haibane for its melancholy tone and mature tackling of forgiveness and acceptance.
Old 2009-03-11, 02:26   Link #12
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Hmm. The end of Ginban Kaleidoscope made me feel pretty damn depressed.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
Old 2009-03-11, 04:09   Link #13
Exar Kun
The Abyssal Sith Lord

- AIR - strange, but very sad and a little depressing anime

- Kanon 2006 - my favourite anime of all time, happyness mixed with sadness and a magical atmosphere

- Kimi ga Nozomu Eien - more depressing than sad, but still quite nice

- Ef- a tale of memories & Ef- a tale of melodies - one of my favourite series, sad, painful, but great

- Gankutsuou - the story based on "The count of Monte Cristo", mainly about revenge and friendship, has many emotional moments

- Grave of the Fireflies - one of the saddest movies I've ever seen
Old 2009-03-11, 04:20   Link #14
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

funny you mention ef since it's like the most uplifting drama ever...

I wanted to respond to recs of Texhnolyze - the show is depressing but it is also insanely hard to watch. The slowest, most grinding, pretentious anime around, so if you go for it, be prepared. The show makes a point to have no reward for those who actually stick around through it.
Old 2009-03-11, 06:12   Link #15
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

If you liked Clannad and want more emotionally sad anime then i strongly second Exar's suggestion of "ef".

Old 2009-03-11, 07:15   Link #16
jigoku shoujo

Ga-Rei: Zero - very good characters development... Yomi ;_;
Old 2009-03-11, 10:29   Link #17
Nosauz

Kara no Kyoukai

Darker than Black
Old 2009-03-11, 11:10   Link #18
endless2010

Check out Kemono no Souja Erin. Only 8 episodes have aired so far but it's been pretty sad.
Old 2009-03-11, 12:10   Link #19
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

So many suggestion but i've seen most of them

Old 2009-03-11, 14:06   Link #20
wOoOzZy
Master Blaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue skies View Post
omg, do it. It's one of the most tragically underwatched and underrated anime out there, and it's so amazingly good. Loads of people are missing out. I've never been so attached to characters before, and I've never bawled so embarrassingly hard over an anime either. It's easily one of my all-time favorites.

If you do check it out, tell me what you think. :>
Same could be said about Saikano. If you like that type of anime then definitely check it out.

I think Towards Terra is next on my list after I finish up Dennou Coil.
Closed Thread