AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2018-09-30, 23:46   Link #1
alexdudek

Favorite Male Lead?

I am not sure if this trhead exists or not but who is your favorite male lead in anime/manga/visual novel?
alexdudek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-01, 06:12   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The medicine seller in Nakamura Kenji's "Bake Neko" and Mononoke is perhaps the top of my list, powered by Sakurai Takahiro's extraordinary performance.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-01, 22:29   Link #3
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Hard to get away from Kitamura Kou in Cross Game for me. Adachi’s writing is so good there that he can have a tsundere and lolimouto as major characters and they’re both great, but it’s Kou that’s at the heart of everything.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-02, 08:41   Link #4
AntonKutovoi

That would be Reinhard von Lohengramm from LoGH and Himura Kenshin from Rurouni Kenshin. Both are great protagonists, and Rurouni Kenshin (along with Kessen III game) has spawned my fascination with Japanese history in the first place.
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-03, 09:00   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Why do I think these nominees may not be ones the OP was expecting?
Old 2018-10-03, 13:44   Link #6
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

How can we be sure the OP isn't a bot? Joined 1st October, made one post and hasn't logged in since. XP

As for my favourite male leads, they're a bit more mainstream: Shinji Ikari from Evangelion and Edward Elric from Fullmetal Achemist.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-03, 15:42   Link #7
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

That would be BK-201 or "Bi Kay Ni Maru Ichi".
(Not sure why when pronouncing a foreign name with numbers, the numbers always get pronounced in your own language.)
Old 2018-10-04, 18:57   Link #8
Mars Terra

I'd say Izuki Midoriya from Boku no Hero Academia.

Currently reading:: The Sirens of Titan.
Mars Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-04, 19:53   Link #9
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonKutovoi View Post
That would be Reinhard von Lohengramm from LoGH
You misspelled Yang Wen-li

Honorable mentions to Kiritsugu Emiya from Fate/Zero and Simon from TTGL
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-05, 01:11   Link #10
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

For me, it's still Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop). Out of all anime that I've seen since early 90s, nobody can beat the level of joy I get whenever he's on screen. He's cool without being edgy, he's easygoing without being overbearing, he has a "wounded" personality without being angsty, he is haunted by his dark past without being EMO about it, he's manly without being overly so and he's also a man of action than words. He can be very serious and reckless when he is needed to act (especially if it involves his past love) and also has somewhat of disturbed outlook about his life after his involvement with the mob which adds some good flaws to his character. In other words, Spike has this certain level of balance that's just pleasant to watch for a good and deep anime MC.

I also enjoy MCs like Lelouch, Guts & Light Yagami, but I think they went too far into certain territories that made them somewhat too distant, unrelatable, inhuman and larger-than-life when compared to Spike. Orga Itsuka from Gundam IBO kinda comes a bit closer but Spike has the maturity-level that edges out Orga's.
Old 2018-10-05, 01:40   Link #11
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonKutovoi View Post
That would be Reinhard von Lohengramm from LoGH and Himura Kenshin from Rurouni Kenshin. Both are great protagonists, and Rurouni Kenshin (along with Kessen III game) has spawned my fascination with Japanese history in the first place.
Kenshin would absolutely be on my very, very short list. He's basically a perfect shounen protagonist as far as I'm concerned - he has pretty much everything you could ask for in a character. I would also put Chagum from Seirei no Moribito on that shortlist. Maybe the best child character in anime - noble in the best sense of the word, and a perfect balance of precocious wisdom and empathy with vulnerability.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 01:13   Link #12
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Only 4 characters I would call my favorite male protagonists.

In the order of when I first encountered them

1. Asakura Yoh (Shaman King) - Calm and collect and the best romance backstory
2. Allen Walker (D Grayman) - The Gentlemen's shounen hero with gentlemen's manners.
3. Kamijou Touma (To Aru Majutsu no Index) - Master of the Heroic Entrance and equality.
4. Yukihira Souma (Shokugeki no Souma) - King of the no fucks given style, but in a good way.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2018-10-07 at 19:08.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 11:58   Link #13
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

For me, it would be

Mido Ban from GetBackers: I really liked how cool he was, and how he just oozed style.

Minami Itsuki from Air Gear: This guy was just so balls off the wall fun, plus how he just had his own way of doing things.

Sakamaki Izayoi from Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sō Desu yo: A great combo of brains and hedonism.

Kamijou Touma from To Aru Majutsu no Index: A more recent entry into my list, recent volumes have really solidified him as a standout character who sticks to his guns.

Bell Cranel from Dungeon ni Deai o Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darō ka?: The way this kids just straightforwardly dives right into being a hero really gets to me.

Emiya Shirou from Fate/Stay Night: He has a really interesting psychology and how he deals with it really appealed to me.

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot to add these two.

Joseph Joestar from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Battle Tendency: My favorite JoJo, out of all of them he was the one that made the biggest impact on me with how he went about doing things.

Kamijou Touma from To Aru Majutsu No Index : He sticks to his own convictions in his own way. That's really very cool.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.

Last edited by Endscape; 2018-12-30 at 17:19.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 20:05   Link #14
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

*Kenshin Himura: Already mentioned above
*Allen Walker: Starts as a heroic gentleman but future chapters reveals that Allen suffers from posttraumatic disorder and across the story he is recovering his original persona
*Edward Elric: Already mentioned above.
*Sento Kiryu: From Kamen Rider Build. Explaining why I like him would give huge spoilers so I'm explaining.
*Naruto Uzumaki: A kid who grows up a lot thanks to all the bonds he forms and training he makes.
*Syaoran: The one from Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle. He has quite a dilemma in his story regarding the price to become the hero but because of spoilers his characterization changes a lot and quite dark.
*Date Masamune: A hotheaded samurai who is the young leader of the Date clan.
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 23:13   Link #15
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
The medicine seller in Nakamura Kenji's "Bake Neko" and Mononoke is perhaps the top of my list, powered by Sakurai Takahiro's extraordinary performance.
This. That is definitely my fave role of his.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-08, 12:27   Link #16
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Long time no see, Manju! Glad you're still hanging around with us.
Old 2018-10-08, 13:50   Link #17
Wandering Soul

Just to name 5 for me:

Natsuki Suburu(Re-zero)- I enjoyed his struggles and especially liked how the series wasn't afraid to show off his ugly side.
Emiya Shirou(FSN)- His hero complex and reason for it were interesting to me. Liked how it used to explore the themes of heroism and ideals.
Kamijou Touma(To Aru Majutsu no Index)- Had several badass moments and while he does come off as fairly static, I do like how he sticks to his ideals
Ken Kaneki(Tokyo Ghoul)-His journey of trying to find his place in a world where he seemingly does not fit in really resonated and find people who truly do care for him was a story that really got me invested.
Rei Kiriyama(March comes in like a lion)-I find myself empathizing with him way too much. His withdrawn nature makes the moments where he reaches out and tries his best for others have a real impact on me.
Old 2018-10-09, 13:10   Link #18
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Yuuji Kazami from Grisaia. Despite all of his psychological issues I really liked his character. And his mologues in the VN were really great to read. A lot of principles he followed inspired me.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote