AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-04-07, 09:28   Link #21
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well... isn't that honorable to the source material? It was a rather cheesy series though pretty advanced for its time. I mean, ... a monkey and little fat kid being the humor factor? That had me rolling my eyes even when I was a kid in the 1960s. I hated it when they were onscreen. And even as a kid, I was wondering what was up with Speed treating Trixie like a doormat.
Old 2008-04-07, 10:14   Link #22
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Remember Fist Of North Star and Guyver ?

Hollywood is currently still obessed about their live action adaption of Superheroes Comics and Cartoons.

Until they have exhausted with the lineups of titles and their sequeals, anime and manga live action adaption is still a Japan only thingie as evident with the Higurashi movie and that D.M.C movie
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 02:33   Link #23
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
It was a rather cheesy series though pretty advanced for its time.
Yep, advanced enough for me to think it was kinda' cool... or at least certain aspects of it.
Quote:
And even as a kid, I was wondering what was up with Speed treating Trixie like a doormat.
Heh... you were far more perceptive than I was. I honestly can't say I remember much about the series. Only bits and pieces of it remain in my memory. I just wasn't impressed by the trailer for the movie. It looks too.... cartoonish. Maybe that's a style they're shooting for.

I seem to remember reading a comment somewhere from producer Joel Silver that the special effects were "car fu." Perhaps on the big screen they might be more impressive, but the trailer samples looked... well... cheesy. It will be interesting to see how it fares at the box office.

I just can't imagine Christina Ricci as Trixie.
Old 2008-04-08, 05:05   Link #24
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

just saw the trailer for speed racer and i can safely say that it is

FUCKING LAME!

what the hell is hollywood doing?
Supah Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 10:12   Link #25
Cytrus
Unchangingly Hopeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushi View Post
When I first heard that the Wachowski Bros. were doing Speed Racer, I thought if anyone could pull it off, it would be them.... until I saw the trailer.

http://speedracerthemovie.warnerbros.com/cmp/main.html

Looks totally cheesy, to me.
Didn't like what I saw. Weird thing to pick up if you're just going to make something that's been done a hundred times before.
Cytrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 11:59   Link #26
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I think "Speed Racer" is what happens when you (the Brothers) have too much money influence and no one to tell you "no". They probably pitched to a bunch of movie execs with cocaine-addled bubble memories of some series they vaguely recalled was popular in the 60s.

I suppose I would have much more expected something a bit more epic from them, like a mecha series or something rather than the relative equivalent of the Flintstones (anyone remember that live-action remake? I mean, besides, Halle Berry?).

I figure it will be a well-made homage to the series.... and possibly kill any other attempts at Hollywoodizing anime.
Old 2008-04-08, 18:16   Link #27
Seditary
Ooooo what?!

We can only hope...
Old 2008-04-08, 19:22   Link #28
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Am I the only one who thinks the trailer is very cheesy......in an extremely entertaining way? I'm probably one of the few who wants to watch it.
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 19:32   Link #29
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

From what little I can remember about Speed Racer (English dub) is that is was sort of cheesy anyway. But that was a long time ago, and not very many intact memories of it either. Can't say at all on the subject of Mach Go Go Go.

Some of us are praying that if they ever get to that Star Blazers movie, they will at least try not to mess with it as much as some of the scripts lead us to believe.
Old 2008-04-09, 18:50   Link #30
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I think "Speed Racer" is what happens when you (the Brothers) have too much money influence and no one to tell you "no". They probably pitched to a bunch of movie execs with cocaine-addled bubble memories of some series they vaguely recalled was popular in the 60s.

I suppose I would have much more expected something a bit more epic from them, like a mecha series or something rather than the relative equivalent of the Flintstones (anyone remember that live-action remake? I mean, besides, Halle Berry?).
I actually liked the live-action remake of the Flinstones. I thought it was pretty good for what it was clearly meant to be - a comedy popcorn flick that you park the analytical part of your brain at the door for.

Quote:

I figure it will be a well-made homage to the series.... and possibly kill any other attempts at Hollywoodizing anime.
Why are you against live-action adaptations of anime?

I'm against live-action adapations of video games, because Hollywood's track record with that is absolutely abyssmal.

However, Hollywood's track record with western comic book-based movies is mixed at worst, and genuinely excellent at best (depending on your point of view on Superman Returns, X-Men 3, and the Fantastic Four movies).

So... I could see anime live-action adaptations going either way. Hollywood doesn't have a track record to go off of here yet.

It could be an epic failure like Super Mario Bros: The Movie was, or it could be an epic success like the first Spiderman movie.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 20:20   Link #31
hero147

Isn't the artwork and the fake reality what makes anime..umm anime? This does not seem like a good idea. Though I'd love to see Gundam Seed made into a reality flick...wonder if Lacus would have pink hair and who would play the Goddess of the anime world.
hero147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 20:44   Link #32
starry_sky45
Cherry Blossom~

Send a message via AIM to starry_sky45 Send a message via MSN to starry_sky45
I am not too excited about DBZ. However I will see it because Justin Chatwin is being Goku.
Old 2008-04-11, 15:37   Link #33
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

oh no my nightmares are coming true.

Nahh just kidding, but i am not interested in these too much. I think it will be a disappointment..

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 19:56   Link #34
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Why are you against live-action adaptations of anime?

It could be an epic failure like Super Mario Bros: The Movie was, or it could be an epic success like the first Spiderman movie.
I'm not really *against* it -- but the "Hollywood" system has a very poor track record when it comes to incorporating foreign concepts. The movie executives have enough trouble "getting" commonly understood LOCAL American trends and ideas.

Seriously, many of them are *really* out of touch and clueless about whats outside their offices (personal observations and friends who work in the industry). Imagine the worst PHBs you've ever dealt with and they're in control of a $100M project O.O.
So it will depend on *who* directs/produces it and how it is financed. The Brothers W seem to *get* anime and they obviously cherish the old Speed Racer from their childhood but.... I don't know if that was the best choice to bring anime adaptation live-action to life for the first attempt.

We'll when the box office results are in
Old 2008-04-11, 20:22   Link #35
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Whatever happened to James Cameron's Battle Angel Alita? I've been looking forward to that for years...
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 15:58   Link #36
Happy_Chip

Anime into Hollywood?

We're asking ourselves whether we'd expect anime to be credibly made into live action in Hollywood, and to try to answer than question we're contemplating how successful Hollywood has been in taking non-live action media (N. American cartoons and video games) and making movies about them; and considering the hit-and-miss success rate.

What makes anime different is, that anime is what would be considered "foreign" - anime media are foreign films and foreign TV programs, a product of a society with a different language, history and national outlook than the U.S.

If we consider a non-anime cartoon like the Flintstones - well, the Flintstones is essentially a stone-age parody of 1950's american society. Hollywood can, I'm sure, relate to that more easily than trying to relate to the concepts expressed in quality anime.

To explain my point:I'm sure we agree, to get a decent english language dub that's true to the source material, requires artistic talent and an affinity to the source material. Quality dubs like this are rare.

Creating live-action anime deals not just with the dialog, but the entire audio, video, characterization, plot, and story. And we're asking this from a media industry that in general has proven itself ham-fisted when dealing with artistic concepts, or even creating an interesting, entertaining film.

Last edited by Happy_Chip; 2008-04-13 at 15:59. Reason: edit
Happy_Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 16:23   Link #37
Jeiku

For any fans saying the Speed Racer movie looks horrifically cheesy, you've got to consider how the original anime was too. If you change that by making it dark or serious, or filling it with relatively realistic dialogue and characters, then that'll be what would destroy the adaptation more than anything else. I don't know about anyone else, but I think it's probably going to be awesome already.

Also while it isn't live-action, I'm looking forward to Astro Boy too. Too bad we've hardly seen much on it though.
Jeiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 20:25   Link #38
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
When I first heard that the Wachowski Bros. were doing Speed Racer, I thought if anyone could pull it off, it would be them.... until I saw the trailer.

same here, the title was interesting then i saw the racing scenes and just ignored the rest.
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 06:58   Link #39
Banditopants
Pathetic Wannnabe Writer

Quote:

I fear for the anime, not just Speed Racer, but all anime. Luckily I don't think some of the more *adult* anime will get a live action movie, and under American standards thats a LOT of the popular anime.
Banditopants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 20:19   Link #40
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeiku View Post
For any fans saying the Speed Racer movie looks horrifically cheesy, you've got to consider how the original anime was too. If you change that by making it dark or serious, or filling it with relatively realistic dialogue and characters, then that'll be what would destroy the adaptation more than anything else. I don't know about anyone else, but I think it's probably going to be awesome already.
Finally someone else gets it! I've been telling my friends this and they just don't get it. I am stoked about the Speed Racer movie.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote