AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-04-01, 12:09   Link #2681
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
Is the spoiler icon on animesuki from something? If so, what and who?
Becky Avatar, the current one was created by Riker

More info in the thread below : )

* Help create our new spoiler button
Old 2009-04-01, 13:07   Link #2682
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

@ganbaru - Myrrh has a "sweet" smell. It's extremely potent, and is similar to pine but more fragrant (I guess potpourri would be more accurate?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhwa#Manhwa_style

Simple answer: it's because its drawn more realistically.
That's not really much of an answer. I've read that wiki entry before which is why I thought maybe asking here would help me understand it better. There are plenty of manga with realistically drawn bodies (and sometimes faces), so it's not really a cut and dry answer for me.

Not all manhwa features characters where it is difficult to determine their gender, but the relative scarcity of translated manhwa versus manga makes it easier to pick out what has been translated and notice the difference. A recurring theme I've noticed is that male leads tend to look more feminine than not, sometimes to the point where a running joke in a title are other characters incorrectly saying "she" instead of "he" (like Id).

Like I said this isn't always the case, for instance Veritas has very manly men, but the manhwa style often has men with very long hair, big eyes, and thinner (sometimes longer limbed) body types.

Hence why I was wondering if there were any specific reasons for it (for instance cultural) or if it's just an evolution of the art style over the years and it just kind of "happened". Perhaps because there isn't as much translated manhwa I'm just noticing something that seems common, but is actually rare?
Old 2009-04-01, 14:01   Link #2683
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Okay I was sitting in the train letting my imagination running freely while listening to some music, well the thing I started thinking of was teleportation and I started wondering if you fall from a great height (gravity etc. taking effect) and for example you have teleportation abilities and you teleport yourself in water, not above it and then splash but like in the ocean/pool or whatever watery substance may be, what would happen? Would the gravity still have effect or will it be cancelled out or slowed down o.o;
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 14:53   Link #2684
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Of course it will still have effect...
Old 2009-04-01, 15:00   Link #2685
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
Of course it will still have effect...
on the same magnitude or less?
Old 2009-04-01, 15:24   Link #2686
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

"A body persists its state of rest or of uniform motion unless acted upon by an external unbalanced force." Newton's laws of motion

I know you want to hear this as a: "what it is in a nutshell" but if you really want more then "yes/no" just read about it and think about it; I can give you the "1" the "+" and the "2" but only you can put the "=3" in there.
Old 2009-04-01, 16:00   Link #2687
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
on the same magnitude or less?
The effect of gravity is lessened in water, mainly due to buoyancy. Gravity applies the same force to us in water as in air; the difference in the perceived force is because gravity is also pulling on the water as well. That's why aquatic animals tend to be far bigger than land animals, water supports the extra weight. For example, blue whales can weigh up to 160 tonnes, while the biggest sauropod weighed around 90 tonnes.
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 16:04   Link #2688
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi View Post
The effect of gravity is lessened in water, mainly due to buoyancy. Gravity applies the same force to us in water as in air; the difference in the perceived force is because gravity is also pulling on the water as well. That's why aquatic animals tend to be far bigger than land animals, water supports the extra weight. For example, blue whales can weigh up to 160 tonnes, while the biggest sauropod weighed around 90 tonnes.
I'm not too sure if buoyancy would have much effect at all. I think the effect would be significantly slowed down because water has a much higher resistance than air providing the force to overcome the initial velocity you had very quickly.
SeedFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 16:15   Link #2689
Kakashi
カカシ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedFreedom View Post
I'm not too sure if buoyancy would have much effect at all. I think the effect would be significantly slowed down because water has a much higher resistance than air providing the force to overcome the initial velocity you had very quickly.
Buoyancy is the upward resisting force.
Old 2009-04-01, 16:21   Link #2690
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I am not sure he was actually tacking that into consideration when placing the question; it sounds to me like "is gravity different in wanter" question, simple answer: no.
Old 2009-04-01, 16:22   Link #2691
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi View Post
Buoyancy is the upward resisting force.
Buoyancy and resistance are slightly different things. Buoyancy is based on gravity moving water under a lighter object. Resistance is a force opposite to any movement across the surface (or in it for gases and liquids) Think about it this way. Take a basketball, and put in lightly in your pool. The thing floats. Slowly submerge your basketball and let it go. It will float again. this is because the water is heavier than the air in the basketball and it pushes it up. Now whip a solid ball (handball or golf ball would work) in water. It will move a lot slower than it would in air. That is resistance. It has nothing to do with buoyancy because those things don't float yet are affected by the water.

After reading Cats answer, i think i have to modify mine slightly. Gravity is the same no matter what substance you are in. However the effect of gravity does change because different forces are at work to balance those of gravity. Buoyancy for one.
SeedFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 16:37   Link #2692
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
Okay I was sitting in the train letting my imagination running freely while listening to some music, well the thing I started thinking of was teleportation and I started wondering if you fall from a great height (gravity etc. taking effect) and for example you have teleportation abilities and you teleport yourself in water, not above it and then splash but like in the ocean/pool or whatever watery substance may be, what would happen? Would the gravity still have effect or will it be cancelled out or slowed down o.o;
Gravity will be the same... its a rather constant force. What is your concern is kinetic and deformation as well as friction energy.

Lets imagine this scenario to be a little different.
What you describe is basically the same as a large cylinder filled with water falling down and hitting the ground. Lets assume this cylinder is made of a very robust material and does not burst. Lets further assume you are inside the cylinder.

Gravity lets you have potential energy (depending on your distance to the ground/ center of gravity). When falling down (in vacuum) it will be transformed into kinetic energy (in air a part of the energy is transformed into heat through friction).

The inertia impuls when hitting the ground will almost immediately reach you, since water cannot be compressed very well. Thus forwarding the inertia impuls is almost instand.

Anyway, when you/cylinder hit the ground you have a certain amount of kinetic energy. This energy will be transformed into deformation energy and friction energy.

The forces of the deformation energy will be higher the shorter your stopping distance is.
Now since water has a high density, you will be stopped quite fast. But you do not have to break through the surface of the water first. Water at its surface has surface tension, this makes an impact on water very hard (assuming a rather high impact velocity).

Since you are in the water already surface tension is not so much a problem. Still the density of water will slow you down very rapidly. Except you are fast enough for super cavitatation (rather unlikely). If you shoot a bullet from a gun inside water the bullet will be stopped within a few meters (just to get an idea of the stopping power of water).

Anyway, hitting concrete ground will reduce your speed much faster and setting free far more deformation energy, then being stopped inside water. Furthermore the water is all around you, so the forces are better spread over your whole body. When hitting concrete ground the deformating forces will come almost entirely from the direction where the ground is.

So to summarize this, you will be less hurt when slowed down in water instead of hitting conrecte ground (with only air as surrounding medium).
Old 2009-04-01, 16:40   Link #2693
Kakashi
カカシ

Quote:
I am not sure he was actually tacking that into consideration when placing the question; it sounds to me like "is gravity different in wanter" question, simple answer: no.
I was responding to the "would [the effects]* gravity be cancelled out".
*my inference, since the question wasn't clear.

@Seed: Yeah, thanks for reminding me you have to watch your wording when it comes to physics. (I don't study it) But you're totally right.
Old 2009-04-01, 17:05   Link #2694
Clarste
Human

Teleportation makes the question a lot weirder than the answers have implied. I mean, who knows how the teleportation works in the first place? Maybe it cancels momentum on its own (and the question seems to be about momentum rather than gravity itself, considering that he's asking what would happen if some already falling in air suddenly teleported into water). I think the answer depends entirely on how the teleportation works, and is therefore kind of meaningless without more context.

Incidentally, teleportation as it is often portrayed in fiction would probably violate some basic laws of physics because of potential energy.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 17:13   Link #2695
Evangelion Xgouki
NERV Personnel
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Evangelion Xgouki Send a message via MSN to Evangelion Xgouki
In some shows teleportation has been shown to have canceled the current velocity of the object (it is suspended in the air for a second or two before falling after teleporation). This means of transport would mean the object is deconstructed and then re-assembled at the new location in a neutral state. Another type of teleportation is the worm-hole type where an object is moved to a new point instantaneously through space. In this way the object maintains the velocity it had at the point of teleportation.
Evangelion Xgouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 17:20   Link #2696
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Teleportation makes the question a lot weirder than the answers have implied. I mean, who knows how the teleportation works in the first place? Maybe it cancels momentum on its own (and the question seems to be about momentum rather than gravity itself). I think the answer depends entirely on how the teleportation works, and is therefore kind of meaningless without more context.

Incidentally, teleportation as it is often portrayed in fiction would probably violate some basic laws of physics because of potential energy.
Can't we just assume -KarumA- just thought of a theoretical means to get past the water surface and still have the impact speed? Its completely hypothetical anyway (Yeah I know my answers are not very scientific. I have good reasons though.)
Old 2009-04-01, 19:49   Link #2697
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
We don't know the effects of instantaneous changing of mediums that an object is traveling through. We cannot say that when we do teleport with some velocity into water we don't have to face surface tension. What I would like to know before answering the question is would there still be a surface tension effect if we instantly go from air to water as the medium of travel?

I think that a wormhole would still have surface tension because there is still a "surface" between the air on one side of the hole and the water on the other side. Would the case be different with something like materializing instantly in water? Of course, how you think about a wormhole would change that...

Also, falling from something like 30 meters into water is like falling onto concrete from the same height... or was that in feet?

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 23:58   Link #2698
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Also, falling from something like 30 meters into water is like falling onto concrete from the same height... or was that in feet?
I doubt it's 30 feet, since if that was true people would probably die from the shock when they dive from the 10 meter trampoline.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 00:34   Link #2699
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Question: anyone knows a good website that have beautiful drawing/animated widescreen(16-9) scenery wallpapers? An anime scenery wallpaper is good too, but most wallpapers i found have anime characters as focus.

I used to use those from hoshinova. But after buy this wide screen monitor (Love it ^^) those wallpapers were either stretched or not full screens =/
Old 2009-04-02, 02:37   Link #2700
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

>.< sorry if the question wasn't clear enough lol I wasn't sure how to put it really
but you did answer ym question and I'm very grateful =D

Tags
problem, q&a, serious