AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2008-08-06, 21:29   Link #21
zzeroparticle
NEET

Send a message via AIM to zzeroparticle
It'll be interesting to see where you place You Raise Me Up from Romeo X Juliet then. Though most people have heard the version sung by Josh Groban, I feel that Hitoshi Sakimoto's rearrangement of that song was pretty damn good and Lena Park on vocals definitely made it shine.

For that matter, the entirety of the Romeo X Juliet Soundtrack that I briefly reviewed on my blog might not have been a big step in the world of anime music, but it was a huge step for Sakimoto, who had been doing game soundtracks up until then. It should be noted that aside from a few composers like Michiru Oshima and Ootani Kou, there hasn't been much of a crossover between anime composers and video game music composers. I just thought that Sakimoto's first step into anime soundtracks to be a big success based on the quality of the music alone.
zzeroparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-06, 23:02   Link #22
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzeroparticle View Post
It'll be interesting to see where you place You Raise Me Up from Romeo X Juliet then. Though most people have heard the version sung by Josh Groban, I feel that Hitoshi Sakimoto's rearrangement of that song was pretty damn good and Lena Park on vocals definitely made it shine.

For that matter, the entirety of the Romeo X Juliet Soundtrack that I briefly reviewed on my blog might not have been a big step in the world of anime music, but it was a huge step for Sakimoto, who had been doing game soundtracks up until then. It should be noted that aside from a few composers like Michiru Oshima and Ootani Kou, there hasn't been much of a crossover between anime composers and video game music composers. I just thought that Sakimoto's first step into anime soundtracks to be a big success based on the quality of the music alone.
I am mostly in agreement with you, but I put more weight on ' might not have been a big step in the world of anime music, ' compared to ' Sakimoto's first step into anime soundtracks. ' Still, it is not everyday you find famous popular song used as OP, so perhaps B+?
Old 2008-08-07, 00:06   Link #23
Z3120

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzeroparticle View Post
It should be noted that aside from a few composers like Michiru Oshima and Ootani Kou, there hasn't been much of a crossover between anime composers and video game music composers. I just thought that Sakimoto's first step into anime soundtracks to be a big success based on the quality of the music alone.
Perhaps a bit off-topic, but as a big fan of a certain VGM composer, I would like to add Hideyuki Fukasawa to that list concerning VGM to anime or vice versa crossovers if you haven't heard of him already. The anime called Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto is a great standalone collection of music, even if you haven't seen the anime before (nor was the anime that good either). As much of a fan I am of Sakimoto, I feel Fukasawa deserves equal mention of someone who has successfully took that step too. Just thought I add another to your list.
Z3120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 00:49   Link #24
zzeroparticle
NEET

Send a message via AIM to zzeroparticle
By no means is my list complete. The ones I listed just happened to be off the top of my head. Now that I think about it, I can also add Noriyasu Agematsu who scored the soundtrack to Renkin 3-Kyuu Magical? Pokaan (the anime series) and who also made contributions to Wild Arms 4, 5, and XF. Also a strong composer in my book and I really do enjoy the melodies he puts forth.
zzeroparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 14:34   Link #25
Amray

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontaek View Post
Aozora no Namida: Other than the popularity, I'm afraid I am not hearing anything really new for its time. Feel free to disagree or supply evidence of its importance so I may change my opinion, but right now, I have it at C+ level.
When put into various Japanese music charts it made it to #5 and #8 in its first week. In fact it was so successful that she even recorded an instrumental version too. Very successful song, in both the anime department and also the J-rock music genre.

Quote:
Be Your Girl: I will take your word for the popularity, but again, it was not a serious groundbreaker, and by this time, many anime song has had success with main stream audiences. I say B
True. It did not break the barrier as being a complete anime classic like "Cruel Angels Thesis" or maybe even like "Hare Hare Yukai" has, but it did prove a very popular song. I would have given it a higher score than 'B' personally. It was a J-pop song that was made to reflect the horror and the drama of the entire Elfen Lied series, which I think it did really well. It also states that when she released the single it was a great success. That is as much as a classic it will get though.

Quote:
Elfen Lied Opening: This is in fact an original composition based loosely in Gregorian Chant. It is a fine, haunting song, but its impact may have come more from mistaken notion that this was composed by Hugo Wolf. Still, it can still be considered as a rare case of pseudo-classical composition used as an OP so I would go as high as A+.
I would probably agree. T'was a very memerable chant and proved popular throughout the whole series. That was why it was also done in many different versions, such as a music box version and also a saint version. Also with many hidden messages hidden within it and its origin.

Also, has anyone mentioned "Tank" from Cowboy Bebop? That proved a big success in the anime industry and also the music industry altogether.
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 23:34   Link #26
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amray View Post
When put into various Japanese music charts it made it to #5 and #8 in its first week. In fact it was so successful that she even recorded an instrumental version too. Very successful song, in both the anime department and also the J-rock music genre.
Hmm, That is something I should consider. I'm raising it to B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amray View Post
True. It did not break the barrier as being a complete anime classic like "Cruel Angels Thesis" or maybe even like "Hare Hare Yukai" has, but it did prove a very popular song. I would have given it a higher score than 'B' personally. It was a J-pop song that was made to reflect the horror and the drama of the entire Elfen Lied series, which I think it did really well. It also states that when she released the single it was a great success. That is as much as a classic it will get though.

Maybe B+/A-, but I really would like to hear/see something innovative for something I would assign as an A level impact.

Ningyo Hime from Chobits: I would rate this song as A- level. The song was haunting enough to 'trick' my wife into seeing some Chobits manga. It is a song that gets stuck on your head, and remains as one of somewhat uncommon melancholic ED song, with visual that hints of simplistic plans used by some series, perhaps leading up to Clannad Dango. The ending songs of Chobits series had an influence on the following excellent song ( A- level song for rarity, excellence, but relative obscurity ).

Old 2008-08-08, 02:22   Link #27
Tri-ring

If we turn the chronological page, you'll probably need to add the following to the list because they were the first in their genre.

"Tetsujin 28 GoGigantor", "Ookami shonen Ken" and, "Astroboy" were all first Japanese anime starting in 1963.

Jungle Taitei Leo(White Lion Kimba) first aired in 1965 for it's grandiose opening theme by Tomita Isao which will probably make some present day music composers run for the money.(Also first fully colored Japanese animation)

Obake no Q Taro for being the first nosense gag animation first aired in 1965.

Mahotsukai Sally for being the first animation to be targeting girl audience in 1966.

Asita no Joe which first broke the mold that anime is for little kids, showing high-schoolers and college students have interest in anime when created properly in 1970.

Spoiler for To save space:
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-08, 06:12   Link #28
Ottocycle

Doraemon no Uta. I feel as such because I daresay you can pluck random kids off any East Asian city and more than likely they'll at least know the tune when you play it to them.

Beyond East Asia, I'm not so sure though.
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-08, 12:59   Link #29
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug23 View Post
Doraemon no Uta. I feel as such because I daresay you can pluck random kids off any East Asian city and more than likely they'll at least know the tune when you play it to them.

Very true: I would go S level for its popularity, longevity, and it is a very cute song as well.
Old 2008-08-10, 09:46   Link #30
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
If we turn the chronological page, you'll probably need to add the following to the list because they were the first in their genre.

"Tetsujin 28 GoGigantor", "Ookami shonen Ken" and, "Astroboy" were all first Japanese anime starting in 1963.

Jungle Taitei Leo(White Lion Kimba) first aired in 1965 for it's grandiose opening theme by Tomita Isao which will probably make some present day music composers run for the money.(Also first fully colored Japanese animation)

Obake no Q Taro for being the first nosense gag animation first aired in 1965.

Mahotsukai Sally for being the first animation to be targeting girl audience in 1966.

Asita no Joe which first broke the mold that anime is for little kids, showing high-schoolers and college students have interest in anime when created properly in 1970.

Spoiler for To save space:
I did my research on these shows, and for most, they were merely doing what was the well established practice in all the TV shows of their time, so don't score well in innovation and perhaps nothing special regarding their quality. BUT, these are the series that are the foundation for current anime series, so at least they gets B to B+. Two series do stand out in terms of importance. Maho Tsukai Sally's song became immensely popular, especially in Korea in its dubbed version, thus parodied and/or immitated often. It gets A level in my opinion. Ashita no Joe was a series that could have been more popular, with good song. Its importance is of such, that I have to raise it up to at least A- level.

nu-Gundam: Char's Counterattack - Most of you probably don't know this, but this was the most popular movie that tried to use legitimate large scale Hollywood like music for the BGM. I believe most of the music was handled by what I believe was 2nd most prestigious orchestra in Japan, Tokyo Philharmonic(?), the BGM was composed as a purely orchestra works, and its ending song was by well established band and attained great popularity away from the movie. I had an aquaintance whom I worked with at year 1991, several years after the movie, and while he was a big fan of the band that sang the 'Beyond the Time', thus liked the song, he had no idea it was used for the Gundam movie. this was the movie that showed that Anime can have John Williams's like BGM, but music budgets in anime rapidly decreased after 1980s were over, thus this trend was not followed by most others, with notable exceptions like Legend of Galactic Hero. It took Suzumiya Haruhi and Nodame Cantabile to revive this possibility in Anime Music. Importance is S+ level. I can't go higher than that, as most other anime just won't have the money to duplicate this.
Old 2008-08-13, 22:04   Link #31
Lord Bane

For this reason alone, I am forced to agree with Hare Hare Yukai.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xx4tszZ-DE
Lord Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-14, 01:22   Link #32
Un1234l

I don't know most of what has been listed.
However, I agree with Tori no Uta and Lillium being very important.

How would you rate the following?

Sorairo Days (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann)
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni)
Still Doll (Vampire Knight)
Undine (ARIA the ANIMATION)
Un1234l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-15, 15:00   Link #33
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

Ready Steady Go - FMA, first real commercial launch of anime music into Western society?
Old 2008-08-16, 03:11   Link #34
Mgz
Madlax fanboyz

Send a message via Yahoo to Mgz
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug23 View Post

count in South East Asian too , or at least Vietnam and Thailand.

and not just kids, basically just pick any person that was born from the 60s onward
Mgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-16, 03:35   Link #35
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgz View Post

and not just kids, basically just pick any person that was born from the 60s onward
But Doraemon didn't started airing until 1979(using this song).
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-16, 07:15   Link #36
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgz View Post

I had intended on including all of East Asia, North, South, or Central, if you can call it that .

Since I am from SEA as well.
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-18, 20:00   Link #37
DSDSSDWE
Blah

How does "Cha-La Head-Cha-La" by Hironobu Kageyama fit into this? It's definitely a famous song no doubt
DSDSSDWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 01:35   Link #38
Paladinoras
Pancakes

Ignited by T.M Revolution

It was the first Gundam song ever to reach number 1 on the Oricon Charts. Ever.

And Bokutachi no Yukue. I think that it was the best-selling anime song ever. Potentially so.

And for Longevity, the Pokemon theme song, if you can consider Pokemon as an anime.

Credit to Godlike1889 for the sig!
Paladinoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 01:43   Link #39
Saki_chan

This is my new favorite thread.

How would you guys rate "Moonlight Densetsu"? How about the themes for Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away?
Saki_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 11:15   Link #40
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTeacherKen View Post
I don't know much about anime music history but would Yakusoku wa Iranai from Escaflowne qualify as important? I think it's the first time Yoko Kanno and Maaya sakamoto collaborated and I believe the show itself was Sakamoto's debut as a seiyuu and a singer.
This was the one I was thinking about so I am going to second it. Obviously Yoko Kanno was around before this but I think adding in Maaya made a real all star combination.

I also second the themes from Eva, DBZ and Cowboy Bebop all are very memorable even if you are not a fan of the series in question.

Two others I think are pretty significant are

We Are from One Piece
Heart of Sword from Rurouni Kenshin
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote