AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-03-04, 01:44   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 740 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Pos ting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Here's a more detailed summary, with credit going to AP's Aohige:

-Chapter title is "It's up to you!" Splash page features Chopper.

-At the palace, Luffy and Violet go on ahead while Zoro takes on Pica. However, the pirate hunter is having trouble against the stone man, as none of his slashes seem to have an effect on his opponent.

-Meanwhile, Thunder Soldier and his two dwarf companions have a run-in with the officer Gladius! It turns out that his ability comes from the Pamu Pamu no Mi (something like puncture puncture fruit, I think?). He can make any non-organic over-inflate like a balloon, to the point that it bursts with explosive force! He uses his ability to take down the dwarves Kabu and Rambo with an explosion from his jacket sleeves! He's then about to make the soldier burst.... when Luffy arrives to save him! He wants to fight Gladius, but Violet stops him, saying they have no time. As the group makes their escape, an angry Gladius makes his helmet explode, hitting Violet with the shrapnel! It's at this point that Luffy decides to take a shortcut to Dofla's location, and escapes out of the window.

-Right after the grand escape, Gladius meets with his master, Donquixote..... DOFLAEMON! It's actually Kinemon in disguise (a surprisingly good one, too)! He tells Gladius that he'll handle the situation, but first wants to locate the samurai Kanjurou. It turns out that Kin's comrade disappeared at the scrapyard. Meanwhile, Luffy's group are just outside of the "Suit Room", where Doflamingo is interrogating a conscious Law. Naturally, Law is unaware of the whole SOP operation. The toy soldier sees king Riku in the room, and is reminded of when the king recruited him when he was human. He then wonders what's going on with Leo's group, as the dwarves and Usopp are his only hope.....

-Back outside the factory, Franky is still facing off the marines. He too, places his hopes on Usopp. Back at the underground port, Robin has become a toy! Looks like she tried to use her ability to force-feed Sugar the grape, but the girl touched one of Robin's sprouted arms to transform her! Now she too, places her hopes on Usopp, as does the defeated Leo. And so, what is the great hero Usoland's next course of action? Running away.

Oh dear, oh dear. I can see the Usopp hate coming already. But don't worry long-nosed one, I still have faith on you, at least! Surely you'll answer everyone's pleas for help at the right moment....

Otherwise, "Doflaemon" pretty much made the chapter for me. I also really like Gladius' power, even if it's basically like Mr. 5's. Looks like Kinemon will be the one to face him, then. Anyway, next week's chapter will have a color page, so there's that to look forward to, as well!

Last edited by marvelB; 2014-03-05 at 01:31.
Old 2014-03-04, 10:13   Link #2
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Ok please just start a new thread when the info comes out and stop giving me false hope.
Old 2014-03-04, 15:59   Link #3
Avaricia
My Lord

Spoiler for Spoiler:
Old 2014-03-04, 17:42   Link #4
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
Ok please just start a new thread when the info comes out and stop giving me false hope.

Sorry, but I find making the thread slightly ahead of the actual spoilers to be more efficient, and intend to stick with this method from now on. But hey, just think of it as an advance notice whenever you see a new thread pop up!

That being said..... there IS a small summary out right now. I won't comment on it now though since a more detailed summary should be coming along later tonight....
Old 2014-03-05, 01:34   Link #5
marvelB

Okay, updated with a more detailed summary this time. And as a bonus:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

^Meet Donquixote Doflaemon!
Old 2014-03-05, 03:16   Link #6
Eleutheria
旅行癖

Usopp leaving his nakama behind and thinking the thoughts he's thinking on the last page, is rather like a punch to the gut for me the reader

Incidentally, Gladius's ability, translated as "PUNK", is actually "PUNC" for "PUNCTURE". You can search for パンク in Google Translate. In case you were wondering why OP is going punk. (isn't this a bit too similar to the explosion fruit?)

P.S.
"We don't have time to fight Gladius!"
*wait for five minutes under a window and do nothing except bleed*

Last edited by Eleutheria; 2014-03-05 at 05:19.
Old 2014-03-05, 04:20   Link #7
danielevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleutheria View Post
Usopp leaving his nakama behind and thinking the thoughts he's thinking on the last page, is rather like a punch to the gut for me the reader
Me too , im a bit dissappointed
Old 2014-03-05, 04:49   Link #8
Aesthetic Shampoo

Mansopp was simply a hope that faded gradually with each arc~
Old 2014-03-05, 04:50   Link #9
Veviticus

Robin gets turned into a toy, so I guess I can understand why Usopp is running away. He thinks he is alone in the battle against sugar and trebol now that the dwarves are out cold. I just don't see usopp facing his fears and turning around to fight 2vs1 against the executives. Not unless someone from sanji's group comes to his aid.
I hope it doesn't take every straw hat member to be in trouble before usopp makes his move.

Even though robin doesn't have a contract, I would say she is pretty much out of the picture until sugar gets taken care of.
Old 2014-03-05, 04:55   Link #10
Diablerie

Usopp's getting really annoying now. I swear he's actually gotten more cowardly than he used to be.

Gladius is quite a cool character, he must go through a lot of hats. We saw Baby 5 and Buffalo this chapter too, which pretty much only leaves Dellinger unaccounted for,

Robin... C'mon now. That was a really silly way to take her out of the action. I hope she still gets a fight this arc, she hasn't had a proper one since Skypiea. :/ At least it looks like Zoro's getting his first serious opponent in a while.

Also, Law!
Old 2014-03-05, 05:17   Link #11
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Okay, I just read the chapter. The sh*tstorm is going to be huge. So much build-up and anticipation for Usopp to shine, but the last page, wow. It's going to be at least another week of hating his character.

Anyway, the rest of the chapter was great. Kinemon cracked me up. Of all the things he could be doing since he disappeared, he's dressing as the big bad guy himself. This can't possibly go wrong. Also, it appears that we'll see Zoro vs Pica. I initially thought that it would be a relatively easy match up, since Zoro can cut through stone easily. However, if Pica uses Zoro's bad sense of orientation to his advantage, it's going to be more difficult.
Old 2014-03-05, 06:42   Link #12
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Zoro vs Pica, Gladius vs the Samurai.

I'm thinking either Law or the solider vs Trebol, somehow.
Old 2014-03-05, 07:39   Link #13
noktown

Wouldn't Chopper be the best guy to take on Sugar ?

But man,Kinemon had me laughing hard this chapter.
Old 2014-03-05, 08:08   Link #14
J4n1

Well, that was a letdown.
Old 2014-03-05, 08:09   Link #15
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

I'm gonna hate on Usopp even knowing he'll eventuality come back and take Sugar down. It's actually his speech while running away that annoyed me the most.

Mansopp was a dream...and nothing more than that. I actually did believe for a second that Usopp could have gotten a little braver, his cowardly schtick was funny at first but it gradually became more and more annoying (the Sogeking thing saved it for a while, but even that didn't last long). And now, he's supposedly braver...supposedly since each arc since the timeskip he's looked worse than the last.
Old 2014-03-05, 08:21   Link #16
imza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
I'm gonna hate on Usopp even knowing he'll eventuality come back and take Sugar down. It's actually his speech while running away that annoyed me the most.

Mansopp was a dream...and nothing more than that. I actually did believe for a second that Usopp could have gotten a little braver, his cowardly schtick was funny at first but it gradually became more and more annoying (the Sogeking thing saved it for a while, but even that didn't last long). And now, he's supposedly braver...supposedly since each arc since the timeskip he's looked worse than the last.
Yeah I agree. I know he will come back and do something brave eventually but it just seems like there has been no character develop on his part.
Old 2014-03-05, 08:37   Link #17
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

wuooohh Usopp!!! Come back!!!!

hahaha... he's running because he's Usopp...

anyway, watching the crew fighting separately like this in a chaotic battlefield is little confusing
I really hope one of them would get a full-chapter battle

glad to see Luffy finally reached the final stage
Old 2014-03-05, 09:40   Link #18
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post

Yeah, i am completely sick and tired of cowardly ussop now. His comedic cowardice was fun for a long time, but his schtick has officially jumped shark... abandoning his allies(at a non-comic relief moment) really takes the cake and is an all out low point. really sickening

Remember when Ussop did not bat an eye at fighting tons of fishmen? good times... good times...
Old 2014-03-05, 09:52   Link #19
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
What I can see happening is Usopp retreating but returning as Sogeking. Maybe he has developed some kind of split personality, or maybe he's at least imagening that he has. The thing is, that he's a coward and rather weak when compared to the monsters he's facing in the New World. But if he can somehow convince himself that Sogeking is stronger than himself, then it would make sense for him to be less afraid of enemies when he's pretending to be his alter ego. That would be a very clever trick on Oda's part to make Usopp a decent warrior whenever the stakes are high, without actually having Usopp realize his dream of becoming a brave warrior, because he's still hiding behind Sogeking. If this is true, then his mask will probably break towards the end of the series. Luffy will encourage him and tell Usopp that Sogeking's power has always been his power and that he doesn't need the mask. And then Usopp will become the brave warrior and have his most epic moment.

It also makes sense from the perspective that many of us are expecting a bounty raise for the crew. Usopp doesn't have one yet, Sogeking does. If Oda wants to raise those 30 million, then Sogeking has to appear pretty soon. Else he would have to introduce a new wanted poster for Usopp and have the marines being baffled about where this Sogeking is now. But why would Usopp retreat if he's gonna face them eventually anyway? Maybe he'll get help from Hakuba or somebody else, or maybe, like I said, there is a split personality thing going on.
Old 2014-03-05, 09:54   Link #20
Trax
Rock beats scissors

So basically everyone is counting on Usopp (Leo, Soldier, Franky and Robin specifically), and he runs away. Usopp sucks, he's more cowardly than ever.
Closed Thread