AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2013-10-16, 03:05   Link #9641
Aquaman OS

To be fair the OPs pitching KiraxLacus from the start kind of suggests that was always the pairing they had in mind. Same with AthrunxCagalli. I don't think they seriously rewrote the pairing thanks to fan complaints or feedback.
Aquaman OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-16, 03:08   Link #9642
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
If someone is meant to be a killer and do only bad things than toss them in a fire. If someone has no way of being productive, such as even putting things together with glue at the very least, than they're a blight upon society and purging them saves heartbreak and is merciful.
I vaguely recall somewhere that you mentioned being raised Catholic (might be wrong on that). You do realise that the above statement pretty much goes against the entire concept of Christianity, wherein Jesus came to die for the sins of the world, so that redemption and reconciliation with God would be possible. The Christian faith is a redemptive faith, not a faith based on punishment. (Distortions and the concept of "every action has consequences" aside.)

Religious aside though, this is so ridiculously wrong that I'm not even sure where to begin. For one, this violates pretty much every single principle of criminal law, in which you are judged on what you have done, not what you might do. How can you convict someone of murder when it hasn't even happened yet? Psycho-Pass and Minority Report explore this, incidentally, and there are serious ethical concerns. Something like this is too open for abuse.

Predestination? Genetic determinism? Bullshit. We make our own fates through our own efforts. Nurture, not nature.

Also, I want to note that a lot of the performing arts and talents have very little to do with genetics. Singing and playing instruments, for example (but especially singing) are skills which you can become good at by lots of practice. If you have natural talent (which is unquantifiable and completely unrelated to DNA), that gives you an extra edge and thrusts you into excellent and great, but you can still be very good with just effort.

And I'm going to repost an earlier post that you seem to have ignored:

-=-
Quote:
Durandal wasn't a dictator as he didn't want control beyond seeing that the Destiny Plan is implemented and does what it's intended to do. That way people are judged based off their potential instead of personal wealth, reputation, where they were born, or the such.
Let me get this straight. You want Durandal to play God and set people into predetermined paths, regardless of free will. It doesn't matter what their personal dreams are, how their life experiences will shape them. Their lives will be preselected for them based on their genes.

I take it you've never watched Gattaca.

In that case, a tiny skinny underweight kid would never have been selected for military service. Except that skinny underweight kid ended up being America's most decorated soldier.

Also, from the prospect of military service, you get better results from a volunteer, someone who chose to serve, as opposed to someone who was shunted into the service. There's a very good reason why most first world countries, especially the US and UK went with a volunteer military as opposed to conscripts. Let's not forget that special forces don't look for someone with the physical ability (genes), they look for that intangible of determination. Quoting from The Warrior Elite, by Dick Couch, BUD/S instructors prefer candidates with the guts to get through, because it's easier to condition physical performance than it is to forge a determined spirit.
-=-
DNA does not determine whether you will be a good soldier or not. Hell, DNA has absolutely jack shit to do with the physical conditioning required for military service. In universe we see this with one of Serpent Tail's pilots, who's a Coordinator but was setup with a body that's physically weak and he has great difficulty in handling G-forces and the rigors of military life. So what does he do? He doesn't go, "Well my genes show I can't be a soldier." No, he compensates with effort and physical conditioning and works to be able to pilot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroexia View Post
This thread has become really funny. But I thank everybody that has responded to Destined_Fate. You all have shown your maturity and ability to distinguish between what is ludicrous and what is rational.
I have an unfair advantage in that I actually studied law in university, and initially intended to practice. Didn't quite work out, but I found something that I'm good at.

Quote:
He advocates killing people on the basis that they are a blight on humanity. They apparently can be deemed a blight on humanity because their DNA says so. They may not even have committed a crime but because Durundal interprets their DNA as being destined to be a killer, they have to die.

REALLY, DESTINED_FATE? REALLY? I think your ideology is disturbing and dangerous to humanity.
Not to mention raises serious ethical concerns with regard to law enforcement and prosecution, because the basic principle is you are prosecuted for what you have done. We don't charge people because they might kill someone, we charge them because they have killed someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman OS View Post
To be fair the OPs pitching KiraxLacus from the start kind of suggests that was always the pairing they had in mind. Same with AthrunxCagalli. I don't think they seriously rewrote the pairing thanks to fan complaints or feedback.
No, they didn't rewrite, but it's kind of unfortunate that KiraxCagalli and AthrunxLacus feel more natural. *shrug*

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by Wild Goose; 2013-10-16 at 03:12. Reason: Banishing typo demons.
Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-16, 03:15   Link #9643
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

I must ask people to calm a bit here. In the past, I have spoken with several of you, and I must now ask that you remember those earlier conversations before posting again.
Old 2013-10-16, 05:37   Link #9644
Gundamx

Quote:
yeah.... I was like OMG why is she with Athrun instead of Kira(or single) when she show up :heh
(The writer must love NTR/reverse NTR)
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-16, 06:31   Link #9645
Destined_Fate

Kurohane

Shinn was meant to be a pilot as Durandal's test, which he conducted in secret in the past, showed that he had the potiential to be something amazing as well as bearing the same SEED factor that Kira and Athrun enjoyed. That's a rarity and is something that's only extremely well used upon the battlefield. Hence why he always favored Shinn, treated him well, and pushed for him to be a War Hero that got results as that's what Shinn did. Shinn is also the only pilot to have never been defeated by Kira in SEED Mode. Athrun is the only pilot that actually defeated Shinn in a fight.

-

S.Freedom

ZAFT and the Feds made their peace and joined together after the Logos reveal. They were allies of ZAFT and approved of the invasion of ORB as it was meant to purge Logos due to ORB ignoring requests to hand the terrorist over. ORB brought it upon themselves, Kira and co. didn't care. They sided with ORB and Logos at the Battle of ORB and allowed Logos to retreat while making no effort to hunt them down. Instead they waited for Shinn to do it than opt'd to attack Durandal afterward with the intent to murder him.

-

zeroexia

Not very productive of you at all and very personal. If you don't want to deal with me than put me on ignore as personal attacks aren't justified against me at all.

-

RES-01 Perses Gundam

Good, than I expect you to drop this than. Also, "Correct"? Who are you to decide that exactly?

-

Wild Goose

Actually I'm not religious because I tested many religions in my youth and saw very little difference between any of them at their core. So religious fighting isn't about religion, it's about individual power bases maintaining their power and not wanting to share with others.

That's all I have to say to your highly offensive post. Attacking me on religious grounds is wrong and you should be ashamed.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-16, 06:42   Link #9646
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Wild Goose

Actually I'm not religious because I tested many religions in my youth and saw very little difference between any of them at their core. So religious fighting isn't about religion, it's about individual power bases maintaining their power and not wanting to share with others.

That's all I have to say to your highly offensive post. Attacking me on religious grounds is wrong and you should be ashamed.
Way to not only cherry pick the argument, but yet again you're twisting what I've said, which I'll note appears to be your favored tactic when you are unable to answer to the points you are confronted wth.

Ignoring that angle, which was an observation of mine, based on faulty memory, with no offense or malice intended - and for crying out loud there's absolutely nothing wrong with following any religion - ignoring that angle, you still haven't addressed the ethical issues arising, how your intent violates the basic principle of crminal law, and how genes are not a determinant of sucess in disciplines which are skills-based, as skills can be trained, and physical performance conditioned.

Tl;dr, I was not attacking you for being a Christian (acknowledging that you are not a follower of that faih and that no offense was intended), but you still have not answered the counters to your points, and you are willfully ignoring the legitimate points that have been raised.

That, to my eyes, appears as someone who is not being entirely intellectually honest.

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by Wild Goose; 2013-10-16 at 06:46. Reason: Banishing typos. Confounded iPad that I love and hate!
Old 2013-10-16, 06:46   Link #9647
Destined_Fate

Change your dialogue to be less personal, offensive, and confrontational towards me and than I'll address your points. You haven't even apologized for your attacks against me and instead attack me more. Why should I bother when you cannot even admit that what you said against me was over the line? No, instead you justify your personal attacks instead as if it suddenly makes it okay for what you said towards me.

It doesn't.
Old 2013-10-16, 06:52   Link #9648
Washu-Chan
Powered by AMD Athrun 64

Quote:
Was the Shinn/Luna pairing intentional, or was it by accident? If he's to be believed, Fukuda said that Shinn was supposed to lose everything at the end, with the exception of Luna.

And the funny thing about that is that Kenichi Suzumura and Maaya Sakamoto, Shinn's and Luna's VAs, respectively, did get married IRL in 2011.

I think that the TV Movies and (possibly) the HD Remaster tweaked the relationship so that it doesn't come off suddenly.
Old 2013-10-16, 06:59   Link #9649
Destined_Fate

Shinn and Lunamaria were always meant to be paired together. It was just handled poorly in the original TV airing. The Specials better reflected the intention better by making Lunamaria not as interested in Athrun and more interested in Shinn a great deal as well as giving them more earlier scenes. The SEED HD Remaster also added in the scene where Lunamaria has the "love eyes" on Shinn when they're all going to Boot Camp thus establishing that she was interested in him during SEED time and they were friends long before Destiny starts due to their going to Boot Camp and becoming ZAFT Red's together.
Old 2013-10-16, 08:01   Link #9650
RES-01 Perses Gundam
A Contradiction Beneath

Quote:
Kurohane

Shinn was meant to be a pilot as Durandal's test, which he conducted in secret in the past, showed that he had the potiential to be something amazing as well as bearing the same SEED factor that Kira and Athrun enjoyed. That's a rarity and is something that's only extremely well used upon the battlefield. Hence why he always favored Shinn, treated him well, and pushed for him to be a War Hero that got results as that's what Shinn did. Shinn is also the only pilot to have never been defeated by Kira in SEED Mode. Athrun is the only pilot that actually defeated Shinn in a fight.
What's your point really? That Shinn is as good as Kira in terms of piloting ability?

Quote:
S.Freedom

ZAFT and the Feds made their peace and joined together after the Logos reveal. They were allies of ZAFT and approved of the invasion of ORB as it was meant to purge Logos due to ORB ignoring requests to hand the terrorist over. ORB brought it upon themselves, Kira and co. didn't care. They sided with ORB and Logos at the Battle of ORB and allowed Logos to retreat while making no effort to hunt them down. Instead they waited for Shinn to do it than opt'd to attack Durandal afterward with the intent to murder him.
You don't seem to have an inkling about the fractious nature of the Earth Alliance. The EA fleets that joined up with ZAFT were renegade ships; they were defying the state of hostility between EA and ZAFT by defecting to their enemies. Even though LOGOS was all but destroyed with Djibril dead, EA neither surrendered nor called for a ceasefire, so technically EA and ZAFT were still at war. How do you call that "make peace"?

Both Orb and ZAFT had slightly differing objectives going into the battle. While both sought to apprehend Djibril, the overriding priority of Orb was to defend their homeland. Even if you ignore the fact that the entire Orb fleet was mobilised primarily to defend Orb against a ZAFT invasion, Kira and Cagalli could not confirmed that Djibril was in Orb before their defensive battle began. So how could you accuse Kira of collaborating with LOGOS when he didn't even know Djibril was in Orb? Besides Cagalli did try to find Djibril, so for God's sake stop accusing them of deeds they never did!

Quote:

What the heck? I'm curious as to how you could test (you mean explored?) many religions and how you failed to recognise the many differences that exist between the religions.
RES-01 Perses Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-16, 08:12   Link #9651
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Change your dialogue to be less personal, offensive, and confrontational towards me and than I'll address your points. You haven't even apologized for your attacks against me and instead attack me more. Why should I bother when you cannot even admit that what you said against me was over the line? No, instead you justify your personal attacks instead as if it suddenly makes it okay for what you said towards me.

It doesn't.
With voice.

Destined_Fate,

As I understand things, your whole thrust is that my observation was an attack on your person, using religious grounds. As I understand things, it is apparent that you were offended by my mistaken assumption that you were a Christian. As I have said before, no offense nor malicious intent was intended. To my perspective, I was contrasting your viewpoint with that of the Christian faith, with my error being my assumption that you shared that faith. Nevertheless, as you feel so strongly on this matter, I apologize for assuming you were a Christian, and for making an observation based on what I had assumed was our shared faith. And I apologize for offending you with my observation.

For the record, I wish state that I was raised Anglican, and while I am no longer entirely what one would describe as a devout follower of Christ, nevertheless the faith I was raised in is still dear to me. On that point - on that personal point - I disagree with your earlier statement that "If someone is meant to be a killer and do only bad things than toss them in a fire." The Christian faith taught me that redemption is possible, that it is possible for someone to repent and change their ways, provided they are willing to do so.

I will reiterate my earlier point: to my eyes, you have twisted my words - something you have accused others of doing in the past - and you are using this issue as an excuse to refuse to answer legitimate points that I have raised. Furthermore, you have chosen instead to attack me instead of responding to my counters to your argument, and you are projecting your own actions onto me.

You are free to act as you wish; that is your right. Nevertheless, I also have the right to confront you on your actions.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2013-10-16, 08:28   Link #9652
Destined_Fate

Shinn is better than Kira since he defeated Kira before(even after Kira went SEED) and never lost to him. While against Athrun he lost control and thus let his guard completely open for Athrun to take advantage of. We've seen that when Shinn fights with a more steady mind/resolution Kira lost and later on never defeated him. He even fought toe to toe with Athrun until the last episode becaues of his rage.

It was peace as the Feds no longer desired to fight ZAFT and ZAFT no longer wanted to fight them. Humanity, except ORB, was united against Logos. Kira and Cagalli didn't even bother, they also knew that Yuna was a traitor. So it being revealed that Yuna was protecting Djibril shouldn't have been a shock to anyone and it made Kira and co. look like fools when Djibril escaped because of them. Let's also not forget that Kira and co. never once went after Logos, they had Shinn do all the work when Kira and co. weren't busy messing things up.

This isn't a religious debate. I merely saw that in the end religion is merely a tool by the minority to try and control the majority.

-

Me attack you? Now whose twisting what now? You attacked me, I asked an apology for your offensive personal attacks against me. You instead defended your personal attacks and now accuse me of attacking you just because I wanted an apology and for you to take a less offensive and confrontational tone towards me.

I see no reason to continue this with your insistence that you weren't in the wrong and that you were justified on making those personal attacks against me.
Old 2013-10-16, 09:04   Link #9653
Washu-Chan