AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-01-31, 08:15   Link #2741
Walterion

I need someone to translate this, please. If it is what I think it is, this is very important for all you Ougon Cross players.

Quote:
[566] 今夜、24時に~ 投稿者:竜騎士07 投稿日:2012/01/31(Tue) 21:14
今夜24時に、色々更新しますよ。お楽しみに~!
あと、CROSSのウィルは2月末に公開予定です。
こちらもお楽しみに~! アビリティが個性的で面白いですよー!

Thanks in advance.
Old 2012-01-31, 09:05   Link #2742
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
Looks like Willard will be the first character to be released, in late february.
Old 2012-01-31, 09:16   Link #2743
Azule
Golden Witch

Send a message via AIM to Azule Send a message via MSN to Azule
They're going one at a time? >.< Seriously...that means all the patches will have to be pretty large if they want Arcade runs and a new stage for each character. I'd rather just one large patch for everyone and everything.
Old 2012-01-31, 09:37   Link #2744
Nanashi_1337

Damn, it wasn't Lambadelta first. Oh well, I'm really interested to see how Will is going to be like.
Old 2012-01-31, 09:40   Link #2745
~Ayane~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong View Post
Looks like Willard will be the first character to be released, in late february.
Are you fucking kidding me?
Old 2012-01-31, 09:51   Link #2746
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
That's what the note says buddy.
And this is amazing!
Old 2012-01-31, 09:53   Link #2747
CrimsonMoonMist

Yes, Will's the first one out!
I like that they release them one at a time personally,
help people keep interest.
Old 2012-01-31, 09:54   Link #2748
Azule
Golden Witch

Send a message via AIM to Azule Send a message via MSN to Azule
Quote:
And this is amazing!
I kinda disagree with it being amazing. If Will's getting released on his own, then "Late Spring" could slip back even further for the other two. It could go in some pattern similar to Feburary -> March -> April, just to get the three characters who have been taunting me on that menu screen. And even then, we'd probably need to wait for arcade runs, CG's and balance patches to get the most out of the characters.

It's nice to have a date, but really disappointing that they're going one at a time. It just annoys people, in my opinion. >>
Old 2012-01-31, 11:42   Link #2749
User173096
Disabled By Request

I'm waiting for Bern since the first Ougon and then Will is the first being released?? >.<
Old 2012-01-31, 11:42   Link #2750
SkullClad
Shadow Keeper

Send a message via MSN to SkullClad
Willard is the first! Amazing!

I'd rather prefer one at a time. Helps keep interest and the size of patches won't be too large if were all the three.
Old 2012-01-31, 11:49   Link #2751
Hoshino Kazuki
Loli/Shotacon

Quote:
I'm waiting for Bern since the first Ougon and then Will is the first being released?? >.<
Me too
A Bern/Ange/Battler ending would be sweet
Quote:
The promise remix?
ah yes it that one
Thanks, I really appriciated it
Old 2012-01-31, 12:36   Link #2752
~Ayane~

Quote:
And this is amazing!
What is amazing about leaving three out of six promised characters as a DLC, not saying anything about when is this dlc coming out besides of the vague 'spring' and then deciding that this level of frustration is not enough and screwing some fans over others?
In the first place, Willard was the last character to appear in the series out of those three, so he should be added last here too.
I would rather have them all in April, than like this, it's just not fair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toia View Post
This.
Old 2012-01-31, 12:42   Link #2753
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Why can't people realize that adding a character is by no means easy for a fighting game?
It isn't like they can make Bern and Lambda playable as early as will, and expect things to go easily: whereas other fighting games base things on legacy and consistency (the likes of SF), Umineko also has another restriction: plot etc.

In case of bern and lamba, they have to make their moves, abilities, -hitbox- and all to be balanced -and- completely in line with what they are in the original story.
And basing everything on the plot would be disastrous, because it would make the game completely silly in term of balance (hence the very reason why I really hope they won't pull a funny move by adding featherine). Even with all the nerf you can add, balance is the most precarious element of a fighting game, and you can't just base on fanservice for this kind of game, especially the likes of OMK.

Sorry, but Will, between the three, is the most obvious choice to work on, as he is pretty straight forward in design, unlike the other 2.
These points are also the biggest issues against bigger roster: you have to be mindful in the balance and mechanics of the game each time 1 single character is added in the fray. Saturating the game with characters will just lead to waste and probably clones left and right.
Old 2012-01-31, 12:51   Link #2754
SkullClad
Shadow Keeper

What'll be the possible plots with Will?

I imagine Battler, maybe Erika, maybe Rosa. Later Bernkastel
Old 2012-01-31, 12:52   Link #2755
~Ayane~

How are they SO much harder to add than all of the other 20 characters they already did?

Alternatively, don't release the game if it's gonna be incomplete.

Quote:
and you can't just base on fanservice for this kind of game, especially the likes of OMK
Oh, please. This game is pure fanservice.
Old 2012-01-31, 12:55   Link #2756
SkullClad
Shadow Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Ayane~ View Post
How are they SO much harder to add than all of the other 20 characters they already did?

Say it to Capcom. Besides, Umineko isn't that full of characters fitted for a fighting game.
Old 2012-01-31, 12:59   Link #2757
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

If you have played several fighting games, you would realize that creating a character is the most difficult part of an established game, especially when balance itself isn't something rock solid.

Most players would agree that having a 50 characters roster is not only overkill, but hugely detrimental to the very gameplay of the game, unless the designers are extremely competent and creative.

OMK original roster wasn't made magically either: the project took them at least 2 years according Ryukishi and they realize well they can't please everyone so they have to narrow their choices: you definitely can't make a large roster for a game like this. You can't create a balance as if it would magically be done itself.

A fighting game would not be the best way to have a fanservice game. A fighting game by itself, has to be interesting by its gameplay and mechanic: the franchise alone just can't sell alone with the service itself, as not offering an interesting gameplay would just waste the concept and diminish the sales by a huge margin.

This is the very reason why Tasogare Frontier took a -lot- of time to create additional character for Higurashi Daybreak, despite it is even less complex than OMK.
This is also the very reason why French Bread couldn't make a full Tsukihime roster during the debuts of Melty Blood, since the game itself was in a very precarious state before Re:Act, and even after its dramatic overhaul, they took years for Actress Again.

So no, adding characters is not easy, fanservice or not.
Old 2012-01-31, 13:08   Link #2758
SkullClad
Shadow Keeper

Most players would agree that having a 50 characters roster is not only overkill, but hugely detrimental to the very gameplay of the game, unless the designers are extremely competent and creative.

Mortal Kombat Armageddon. Not only had 63 characters, but the gameplay is beyond silly.

To OMK I think that the only choice after Bern, Lambda and Will could be Gaap.
Old 2012-01-31, 13:10   Link #2759
DaBackpack
Blick Winkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
If you have played several fighting games, you would realize that creating a character is the most difficult part of an established game, especially when balance itself isn't something rock solid.

OMK original roster wasn't made magically either: the project took them at least 2 years according Ryukishi and they realize well they can't please everyone so they have to narrow their choices: you definitely can't make a large roster for a game like this. You can't create a balance as if it would magically be done itself.

A fighting game would not be the best way to have a fanservice game. A fighting game by itself, has to be interesting by its gameplay and mechanic: the franchise alone just can't sell alone with the service itself, as not offering an interesting gameplay would just waste the concept and diminish the sales by a huge margin.

This is the very reason why Tasogare Frontier took a -lot- of time to create additional character for Higurashi Daybreak, despite it is even less complex than OMK.
This is also the very reason why French Bread couldn't make a full Tsukihime roster during the debuts of Melty Blood, since the game itself was in a very precarious state before Re:Act, and even after its dramatic overhaul, they took years for Actress Again.

So no, adding characters is not easy, fanservice or not.
And this is the reason that Ogon is actually a pretty good fighting game as it is.
I'd rather get some well-implemented characters one at a time than hastily programmed god/crap characters.

Balance is especially important in two genres: fighting games and MMOs. Though maybe my standards are really low, since Final Fantasy XI Online is going through balancing hell at the moment >.>
Old 2012-01-31, 13:15   Link #2760
CrimsonMoonMist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Ayane~ View Post

Oh, please. This game is pure fanservice.
With vanilla Ougon, the characters where developed alongside each other,
so balance was easier to keep track off, now they're adding characters to an already existing roster and have to balance them up with the rest of the cast.

Better to release a game to meet deadline and actively support it through taking advantage of patching later down the road. It's even free since you DID pay for the complete product even though it wasn't actually completely there from day 1.
That's loads better than Capcom, who release unfinished products claiming them to be complete games, then support them with paid content while still purpously keeping things away so they can add another paid update on a new disk.

A fighting game can't run on fanservice alone, it can to a certain point by being a generally generic game with visual elements from the francise it caters to
(not talking about Ougon, just to make an example), but even then, if it the cast isn't fairly balanced to the point of making the game unfair,
even fans of the franchise won't stick around with it.
Closed Thread