AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-01-13, 15:17   Link #21
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdra
Do Bandai generally release those?
They're starting to. They recently released a Galaxy Angel collection thinpak.
Old 2006-01-13, 15:39   Link #22
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirls
They're starting to. They recently released a Galaxy Angel collection thinpak.
So they did... bah, I'm stuck now, if I spend £75 buying individual DVDs and they release a thinpak at ADV Price (about £30)... ><
Old 2006-01-13, 15:44   Link #23
Diodati
The very united ACROSS

Quote:
But um... why My? I might be alone in thinking this but My HiME looks kinda stupid >< Wonder if any bigger pictures of the box/shirt will get released... I know I'll be buying the DVD, I just don't know which version.
I always thought the 'Mai' opened up all the clever puns and double meanings better than just 'My'. Oh well, straight to English in every way then.

Quote:
Is it? o_o I can't help but wonder Americans think we actually speak like...
It would really depend on what English accent. I'm from Nottingham (I'd die of laughter if Shizuru turned up with a Midlander accent - although I don't speak in one - let me voice Shizuru!) - but anyway it's quite unlikely that Bandai will hunt out someone with a pure soft rural accent as found in Hampshire and Surrey.

The two concerns I have with a British accent:
- Without being 'mean', many people outside England seem to think England consists of having only two accents. Cockney (i.e. Lock Stock) or frickin Queens English. I don't speak in ''gangster'' nor in ''upper clarrrrsss fakeism'' thanks.

- I doubt Bandai would go to the trouble of hiring a British V.A. I can't think of any Brits who've done American anime dubs...are there any

So what you'd have is an American pretending to be a Brit pretending to have the 'rough' translative medlodic qualities of the Kyoto accent.

I'm not sure, that sounds a bit worrying to me.

Last edited by Diodati; 2006-01-13 at 16:01.
Old 2006-01-13, 16:06   Link #24
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA-
thos possible covers are manga covers ...

If you're talking about Bloody's post, those are the *Japanese* R2 DVDs. But if you're referring to the very first post, yes that's definitely the Bandai R1 DVD set

--Lone Wolf
Old 2006-01-13, 16:10   Link #25
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diodati

- I doubt Bandai would go to the trouble of hiring a British V.A. I can't think of any Brits who've done American anime dubs...are there any
No Bandai just outsources to dubbing studios in the Los Angeles area like Animazement or Gaijin Studios (Amanda Winn's new studio) for example, so it's out of Bandai's hands when it comes to selecting voices. So if Shizuru's voice doesn't quite come out *up to par* then Animazement is who you would bomb.

--Lone Wolf
Old 2006-01-13, 16:51   Link #26
DeuceTrick

Quote:
The dub for ROD the TV had at least three British actors (two English and one Irish, I think). But that particular show was unusually good in its treatment, and it was done by Geneon.

I think it would be funny if Shizuru had a cockney accent. Or Bostonian ("Whaddaya, retaaahded?"). Just to see the fans scream for blood.
Old 2006-01-13, 17:15   Link #27
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceTrick
The dub for ROD the TV had at least three British actors (two English and one Irish, I think). But that particular show was unusually good in its treatment, and it was done by Geneon.

Yeah, you're right, the ROD dub did actually turn out quite well. LA's a pretty diverse city so I can imagine Animazement or Gaijin Studios hiring a British VO to fill the role of Shizuru.

--Lone Wolf
Old 2006-01-13, 17:28   Link #28
Diodati
The very united ACROSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_wolf
No Bandai just outsources to dubbing studios in the Los Angeles area like Animazement or Gaijin Studios (Amanda Winn's new studio) for example, so it's out of Bandai's hands when it comes to selecting voices. So if Shizuru's voice doesn't quite come out *up to par* then Animazement is who you would bomb.

--Lone Wolf
I can tell you've thought about this enough to know who the right people are to bomb. I'll bomb anyone involved at any level heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceTrick
Really?! Well Ireland isn't a part of Britain unless it was a Northern-Irish VA...but either way this makes my little English-self quite 'appy. They were native-born?...*intrigued*

Why did they cast two Brits and one Irish person? I've only seen the ROD oav not the TV series - obviously something about the characters voices/accents/origin compelled them to?

EDIT: Hang on a minute...*muses*...I remember something being afoot in those British Library scenes...
Old 2006-01-13, 17:40   Link #29
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
I can tell you've thought about this enough to know who the right people are to bomb. I'll bomb anyone involved at any level heh.
LOL..I used to be a Bandai employee so I could join you in the bombing. I have a score to settle with a former supervisor. But I still managed to keep in contact with those involved with the Hime project so I'd make sure they leave the building before we send the bombs.

--Lone Wolf
Old 2006-01-13, 17:40   Link #30
Varion
殲滅天使

Agree completely with Mai being better... ah well.

Quote:
It would really depend on what English accent.
So long as she doesn't have a strong brummie accent I think that's the most disturbing thought I've had all day.

Quote:
I doubt Bandai would go to the trouble of hiring a British V.A. I can't think of any Brits who've done American anime dubs...are there any
I believe Arthur's VA in Seed Destiny was British too (Seed Destiny also being a Bandai property)... I had a sound clip of it but I've forgotten it and where it is, a lot of American fans seemed strangely happy about it though.
Old 2006-01-13, 18:41   Link #31
Diodati
The very united ACROSS

Quote:
LOL..I used to be a Bandai employee..
Awww I kinda stuck my foot in it there.

Quote:
so I could join you in the bombing. I have a score to settle with a former supervisor. But I still managed to keep in contact with those involved with the Hime project so I'd make sure they leave the building before we send the bombs
Oh I remember now, you're our spy
No no - there's no need to bomb Bandai. Otherwise we'll (or rather ''you'll'' be cutting ties with a 'source' )

Quote:
So long as she doesn't have a strong brummie accent I think that's the most disturbing thought I've had all day.
*winces* a Brummie one would hurt. Ooooh why did you have to bring that up Val.

Spoiler for the horror:

The word Kiyohime would forever be tarnished. I wonder how many Brummies are living in L.A. I bet you're really one and you're tricking me into insulting people from Birmingham. Noi boyday toylks loyk tha !!

Quote:
I had a sound clip of it but I've forgotten it and where it is, a lot of American fans seemed strangely happy about it though.
Even if they're British, are these accents good (in your opinion?) - I thought the Jokers from the ROD aov was weird - although they appeared to have changed the actor for the ROD TV series so I can't comment on that. Meh I'm very critical of how they can come across, and with a character like Shizuru I'll be doubly protective. *shields Shizuru*
Old 2006-01-13, 18:52   Link #32
Solitaire

Quote:
Wonder if any bigger pictures of the box/shirt will get released... I know I'll be buying the DVD, I just don't know which version.
Added a bigger picture ><.

I hope we don't get a voice like Chiyo for Mikoto.
Old 2006-01-13, 19:22   Link #33
Varion
殲滅天使

Quote:
*winces* a Brummie one would hurt. Ooooh why did you have to bring that up Val.

Spoiler for the horror:

The word Kiyohime would forever be tarnished. I wonder how many Brummies are living in L.A. I bet you're really one and you're tricking me into insulting people from Birmingham. Noi boyday toylks loyk tha !!
...I swear, I'll never be able to see Shizuru the same way again, and I'll have no-one to blame but myself I'm not a brummie though... I'm a scouser (Liverpool)... because I was born here anyway, not because I have the accent. I don't and am forever grateful of this. How about Nao with a scous... no, I won't do it. It's too cruel.

As for whether Arthur is good... I'll get back to you on that when I find the clip again.

Cheers for the bigger picture Solitaire I'm still not sure why they traded off putting some pretty art down the side for a big pic of the DVD and a tshirt. Surely sticking that on the packaging would've done?
Old 2006-01-13, 20:46   Link #34
USCPharmacist

I think My-Hime is the official Japanese name too if you visit sunrise site. Anyway where are the omakes? don't tell me they leave them out! arrrgggghhhh I want those the most !
Old 2006-01-13, 20:48   Link #35
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaii Denka
The box set looks horrible in my view...part of it must be because of how they used "My" instead of "舞" which makes it feel too non-Japanese. It'd be nice if they had some sort of 'original art' in a different style for the cover, but I guess that'd be asking for too much. The T-shirt doesn't look attractive either, even though I can't see what's on it from the pic...I'm guessing all black with the words 'hime' printed on the chest? Ick~ (the more I look at the box, the more of a 'disney-ish' vibe I get)

They sticked with the original Japanese cover art which is fine, the use of "My" really ruins it but from a business perspective it makes sense, so they are forgiven. Furthermore they remain cheaper than the Japanese R2 disks (even though they're discounted) and they come with fansubs, so not too many complaints from me ...apart from the fact its not all out yet...and that I fear the dubbed voices

Yeah the shirt is pretty bad and Taku (the producer) thought so as well. According to Taku Otsuka, they asked Sunrise for new artwork but were only provided existing artwork so they had to through something together with what they were given.

I'm just greatful that they added the *dvd extras*...it helped that Taku is a fan of the series and a huge "Natsuki" fan.

--Lone Wolf
Old 2006-01-13, 21:05   Link #36
Varion
殲滅天使

Quote:
As for whether Arthur is good... I'll get back to you on that when I find the clip again.
Well, I found it, and it was good... for making me laugh stupidly. It doesn't suit him AT ALL, he's a pretty silly (but funny) character and they gave him an upright BBC English styled voice.

Quote:
I'm just greatful that they added the *dvd extras*...it helped that Taku is a fan of the series and a huge "Natsuki" fan.
So where's our free Natsuki figurine? Huh? Are those Character Features the little minute-long omake episodes btw?
Old 2006-01-13, 21:08   Link #37
mintyfresh
Altoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaii Denka
The box set looks horrible in my view...part of it must be because of how they used "My" instead of "舞" which makes it feel too non-Japanese.
Oh? But then how would the general, non-japanese literate, anime buying public know how to pronounce the name?

Also, as USCP mentioned, My Hime is the official english name given to the show, as proven by the website. On that note, try have a fit when Bandai releases Mai Otome as "My ZHime"... (though that probably won't happen... maybe. )
Old 2006-01-13, 21:18   Link #38
Varion
殲滅天使

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyfresh
Oh? But then how would the general, non-japanese literate, anime buying public know how to pronounce the name?

Also, as USCP mentioned, My Hime is the official english name given to the show, as proven by the website. On that note, try have a fit when Bandai releases Mai Otome as "My ZHime"... (though that probably won't happen... maybe. )
Call it Mai HiME? Using the 舞 kanji would be bad for business but there's nothing wrong with using a simple romanisation. I don't agree with leaving it as 舞-HiME, that just wouldn't work. Sure the site's address says My-HiME, but it's constantly written out using that kanji that doesn't mean "my" at all. Oh well, so long as it's the same series I'll buy it.

If they call it My ZHiME... ugh, I don't even want to think about that one
Old 2006-01-13, 21:21   Link #39
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Well, I found it, and it was good... for making me laugh stupidly. It doesn't suit him AT ALL, he's a pretty silly (but funny) character and they gave him an upright BBC English styled voice.

So where's our free Natsuki figurine? Huh? Are those Character Features the little minute-long omake episodes btw?

Yes. Those are the Omakes.

As for the figurines, Bandai like every other US anime company is on a tight budget so they wouldn't shell out the extra bucks for additional stuff. Unfortunately the anime industry here in the US has suffered immensely and right now, Bandai is "lay-off" central. But that's another story.

--Lone Wolf
Old 2006-01-13, 21:43   Link #40
Varion
殲滅天使

Quote:
Yes. Those are the Omakes.

As for the figurines, Bandai like every other US anime company is on a tight budget so they wouldn't shell out the extra bucks for additional stuff. Unfortunately the anime industry here in the US has suffered immensely and right now, Bandai is "lay-off" central. But that's another story.
Excellent. My efforts not to download them fansubbed were not in vain! I figured there wouldn't be free figures though, I was only joking Especially seen as the first volume seems to be cheaper than your average anime volume anyway. Ah how I love R1 DVDs (UK anime DVDs are $35 a volume-ish) I always thought Bandai were doing pretty well for themselves... shows how much I know.
Closed Thread