AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-09-21, 23:38   Link #3281
Spyda

While after watching Dragon Ball Z kai I've come to realize just how.... average DBZ really was. It still holds a special place as my intro into the world of anime. While compared to the rest of the anime universe it may not really stack up, it was a amazing show with comedy, drama, realistic looking and acting characters (to a point), violence, and yes filler.

No it's no FMA or Claymore... But it had everything a good show needs. And it along with Pokemon (the game) are responsible (in my mind) for the sudden spike in awareness and interest in all things Japanese.

DBZ Kai is a knockoff. However, if it is your first time watching the series, it actually may be better especially for younger viewers. Less filler, less drama, more punching and screaming. (and more censorship too)
Spyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-26, 05:33   Link #3282
Crimrui
Hollow

Send a message via Yahoo to Crimrui
Guess I'm one of the few people that actually didn't mind DBZ's fillers and without them the new refreshed series looked a bit empty. Of course, I myself don't include all the dragging when they look each other for five minutes. Don't really want to get into discussions regarding what might happen and what could never happen in the fillers, I'll just say that I enjoyed them starting from Pendulum Room Peril to episode where Goku and Piccolo were trying to get a driving license. Liked those moments and kinda missed them here but I guess plenty of people were feeling that it was a good riddance.

That aside, I enjoyed Kai, or rather re-edited & refreshed Z. The opening was a nice touch and the series stopped at the right time, for me. Not a fan of Buu saga nor it's fights, that includes the Goten and Trunks and all the Saiyan sausage fest. Sure, there is SSJ3 beuty and #18 making appearance again, but watching it once was enough. That arc simply wasn't thrilling and fun as the previous ones. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't mind watching it again in the Kai version, or some other goodness in the future.

Newer fans will appreciate Kai more, but I'll say that I favor them both equally, with a little thumb up more towards Z. One slower and one faster version for whenever time you feel like watching.
Old 2011-10-08, 22:49   Link #3283
DarkRape
I am a God.

Send a message via Yahoo to DarkRape
I am not very attached to Kai as I was the original. I liked all the fillers, especially the ones on Namek with Bulma. I don't know why, but the cut back to the original fill makes it seem boring. It would've made better sense had they stopped at the end of the Freiza saga at least instead of entering Cell as well. I'm not fairly attached to the old footage either. I would've preferred had they redone everything in the footage to the new length instead of adding a brand new intro to old footage, new effects, and some new animation. It made it look horrible.

But that's just my opinion overall.
DarkRape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-24, 19:39   Link #3284
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Poseable figures Dragon Ball by Bandai

Note: Vegeta and Trunks non-SSJ hair are exclusives. #AreYouSeriousBro?
Those saiyan royalties really.... =/
Old 2012-11-07, 08:19   Link #3285
Blaat

Necroing the thread for some good news.
Old 2012-11-07, 12:28   Link #3286
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Necroing the thread for some good news.
What? Does that mean that we'll actually get the Buu Saga?
Old 2012-11-08, 19:17   Link #3287
Alchemist007
*Author

Would be nice.
Old 2012-11-10, 12:46   Link #3288
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
What? Does that mean that we'll actually get the Buu Saga?
That's right, my friend. I'm super-stoked for this, because the only thing that really bugged me about Kai was that it was incomplete. Now, we'll get to enjoy the Z portion of the story in its entirety. It's a great time to be a Dragon Ball fan, what with the new film slated for release next year and this announcement now.
Old 2012-11-10, 18:05   Link #3289
sky black swordman

^ Well I thought that Kai ended with the Cell saga because that was the way the author had originally had intended to end it, with Gohan defeating Cell and succeeding Goku and becoming the Earths new champion.
Old 2012-11-11, 10:52   Link #3290
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky black swordman View Post
^ Well I thought that Kai ended with the Cell saga because that was the way the author had originally had intended to end it, with Gohan defeating Cell and succeeding Goku and becoming the Earths new champion.
You heard wrong. That's a misconception many fans have all because of a rumor that spread across the internet. Toriyama never said he originally intended to end the series with Cell. That's unsubstantiated and there's nothing to prove it.
Old 2012-11-11, 14:09   Link #3291
Alchemist007
*Author

I only learned about it today but there's a new movie coming out:
http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Dra...82013_movie%29
Spoiler for poster:

I think I'm the last to find out actually
Old 2012-11-11, 15:03   Link #3292
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
I only learned about it today but there's a new movie coming out:

I think I'm the last to find out actually
I think you are. Where have you been ? Joking aside, a lot of people don't like the design of the villain in this movie, but I find it to be refreshing. This villain definitely stands out from the rest of Toriyama's creations.
Old 2012-11-17, 02:50   Link #3293
bumbayker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
You heard wrong. That's a misconception many fans have all because of a rumor that spread across the internet. Toriyama never said he originally intended to end the series with Cell. That's unsubstantiated and there's nothing to prove it.
There may be no proof of it but it sure appeared that the Cell arc was the end of the manga for a time. Unlike the other major arcs (Saiyan Saga and Freeza) which still had a continuing story after their respective stories ended the Cell arc pretty much ended at volume 36 of tankouban.

Personally I think Toriyama wanted to end it as early as Freeza. But his editors kept pushing him to continue it since it was raking a lot of money for Jump. The Buu Saga was arguably the least interesting arc in Dragonball Z since it hardly offered anything new. Toriyama didn't seem to put as much effort with the art and story at that point.
bumbayker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 07:52   Link #3294
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
I think you are. Where have you been ? Joking aside, a lot of people don't like the design of the villain in this movie, but I find it to be refreshing. This villain definitely stands out from the rest of Toriyama's creations.
It might look new and refreshing, but it does seem kind of like a ridiculous design. At least to me. I was expecting something a little more menacing and badass.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 09:18   Link #3295
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
It might look new and refreshing, but it does seem kind of like a ridiculous design. At least to me. I was expecting something a little more menacing and badass.
Toriyama's prior villains included an effeminate midget with purple lipstick, a green walking cockroach, and a dickheaded pink blob. Conventionally badass is not his thing.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 14:33   Link #3296
Alchemist007
*Author

Hey, Cell was a cicada!
Old 2013-01-26, 17:38   Link #3297
sky black swordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious108 View Post
Toriyama's prior villains included an effeminate midget with purple lipstick, a green walking cockroach, and a dickheaded pink blob. Conventionally badass is not his thing.
What about Vegata and Piccolo, they were original villains before turning good?
Old 2013-01-27, 10:31   Link #3298
Shyni

Vegeta was a bit of a midget when he was a villain, though. So, less badass-looking compared to later on.
Shyni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-31, 03:21   Link #3299
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2014-04-06, 09:26   Link #3300
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
This should be back to "current series', right?
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote