AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-02-17, 09:11   Link #861
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Watching the newbies strutting out in the iconic blue jumpsuit was just plain awesome.

Of course, it signifies that it's time for the real hard part: training. The next step for the story.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-17, 09:27   Link #862
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I think Serika would have looked ridiculous in a pink jumpsuit. If I were her, I'd have been annoyed that the Director thought of her as a "pink" sort of girl. (As it was, she seemed a bit nonplussed.) I suspect she played with Legos and Transformers as a girl and conducted exams and surgery on stuffed animals with a toy doctor's set. I don't see her having princess tea parties with an array of Barbies in attendance.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-17, 09:41   Link #863
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I think Serika would have looked ridiculous in a pink jumpsuit. If I were her, I'd have been annoyed that the Director thought of her as a "pink" sort of girl. (As it was, she seemed a bit nonplussed.) I suspect she played with Legos and Transformers as a girl and conducted exams and surgery on stuffed animals with a toy doctor's set. I don't see her having princess tea parties with an array of Barbies in attendance.
Er, I think you're looking it from a different perspective than what the Director was implying.

He's not choosing pink based on colour identities/personalities or what-not, but rather he's simply paralleling the common colours associated with the team dynamics you'd find in Super Sentai. ( Power Rangers )

Pinks in Power Ranger stories aren't Barbie Dolls and Princesses, given that they fight monsters weekly.

Yellow is of course an option for Serika as well, but Yellow tends to be the more stable, level-headed and calming (read : 2nd fiddle) of a female duo pair in Super Sentai line-ups. From an archetype perspective, where Serika is clearly the more prominent female of the two, she'd be the Pink ( main heroine, blahblah) of the team.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-17, 09:49   Link #864
cyth
Banned

I forget, who does Pink get to sleep with, Red or Green?
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-17, 10:18   Link #865
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
Yellow does not sleep with Red.

That's about the most consistent you can get out of trending a who slept with who in Super Sentais.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-17, 13:29   Link #866
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Aah, the return of Sharon and those wonderful flashbacks. That was a highly enjoyable episode.

Based on what Sharon said, it appears Mutta's training is going to last about four years. He's not going to space anytime soon.
Old 2013-02-17, 13:55   Link #867
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
He's not choosing pink based on colour identities/personalities or what-not, but rather he's simply paralleling the common colours associated with the team dynamics you'd find in Super Sentai. ( Power Rangers )
Then if one of them does have to wear pink, I'd nominate Mutta. It seems a more appropriate color for him given his occasional tendency to excess.

Oh, wait, does the pink Ranger have to be female?
Old 2013-02-17, 15:01   Link #868
Dop
Mmmm....

I'd always assumed that Sharon and Tamura were a long term lesbian couple, so the bit about Sharon's husband surprised me!
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-17, 15:07   Link #869
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
I'd always assumed that Sharon and Tamura were a long term lesbian couple, so the bit about Sharon's husband surprised me!
That thought had occurred to me as well. However, considering how relatively-brief the marriage was before it ended, and that it's 20 years later, Tamura could have been around Sharon for a very long time.

Last edited by Gravitas Free Zone; 2013-02-17 at 15:18.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-17, 16:05   Link #870
ragez2010
TamingSari

what? i don't see them as a couple, people with same sex cannot live together as friend/ co-worker? didn't Sharon called her name with -san?

off course Pink sleep with Green, remind me back the first Power Rangers(Us version)
ragez2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-17, 16:15   Link #871
Gravitas Free Zone

I wasn't trying to put them together as a couple, but it was one of the passing things that occurred to me as a possibility after noticing that Sharon didn't seem to have any other regular companions other than Tamura, and apparently lived up at the observatory. The things that happen when you only see a character occasionally and within a very narrow context...
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-17, 16:38   Link #872
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
This was also my first impression when those two where introduced. To bad this isn't the case. It would have been good to have a lesbian couple in fiction who wasn't made a big deal of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
I wasn't trying to put them together as a couple, but it was one of the passing things that occurred to me as a possibility after noticing that Sharon didn't seem to have any other regular companions other than Tamura, and apparently lived up at the observatory. The things that happen when you only see a character occasionally and within a very narrow context...
That doesn't mean it is bad or strange that you came to that kind of conclusion. Multiple people seem to have made the same conclusion and there wasn't anything contradiction that view, until now.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-17, 19:14   Link #873
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
This was also my first impression when those two where introduced. To bad this isn't the case. It would have been good to have a lesbian couple in fiction who wasn't made a big deal of.
Sharon having been previously married to a man doesn't entirely invalidate the idea that she and Tamura are a couple, but I did like the idea that you could have an anime series where characters were presented as a long-term lesbian couple and it wasn't a big thing.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-17, 19:57   Link #874
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Actually I thought we heard mention of Sharon's late husband some time ago. It was a passing thing, though I recall thinking at the time that, oh, she must not be a lesbian after all. I was one of those who thought she and Tamura were a couple from the outset and had the same positive reaction to the portrayal of their relationship that Dop describes.
Old 2013-02-17, 21:15   Link #875
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Awesome episode...looks like we're about to hit a new arc with Mutta's training!

Hey it's the Red King from K in the preview!

And count me in on thinking that Sharon and Tamura were partners as well. I don't remember anything about a husband
Old 2013-02-17, 22:06   Link #876
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
Well in this story green. Actually in the original US version I think Pink & Green were a couple. I never watched any of the Japanese versions though.
Old 2013-02-24, 02:49   Link #877
Utsuro no Hako

All right, we finally get some development for Kitaumura! Though I was hoping we'd get a sequence for Nitta as well -- sadly he is now less developed than Kitamura's sister who will probably never appear again.

I'm not too fond of hard-ass-military-guy-with-absurdly-on-the-nose-name. He just stinks of forced conflict.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-24, 02:59   Link #878
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Spoiler for Ep46:
Old 2013-02-24, 04:28   Link #879
Gooral
Banned

Has anyone else noticed the same thing?
Spoiler for obvious things are obvious:

Edit:

First part of the episode presenting the departure of Japanese female astronauts with their loved ones was rather mediocre. Slice of life in its pure form isn't my favourite cup of tea. What's worse we got the chance of learning something new onyly about Ena since scenes with Serika were began and ended at the dining table (as usual). Mutta making a complete fool of himself wasn't that good either. His eccentricity can be funny at times but him being a doctor of engineering shouldn't be as easily duped (I prefer when he does a Bruce Lee stance than when he believes everything he's told, especially if Murasaki who is known for being a prankster does the talking). Although Murasaki's prank wasn't that bad after all mainly thanks to the end of email and Kenji's role in it. His profound interpretation of this joke was the funniest thing of all .

Second part of the episode on the other hand left a very good impression. This new character has interested me from the start. Stoic as Nitta and serious as Azuma (and yet you instantly know he's different than the two) - that's quite a combination. And he's being dubbed by Kenjiro Tsuda who is perfect in that role. Also, Mutta is in his crosshair from the get-go which bodes well for the story.

Last edited by Gooral; 2013-02-24 at 04:53. Reason: adding some more substance to my post
Gooral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-24, 04:52   Link #880
cyth
Banned

Man, Mutta looked pretty cool in that astronaut slash cowboy attire.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
science fiction, seinen