AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-04-07, 17:04   Link #1
yrneh12

Anyone use mIRC? Because I have a problem...

Back when I first got mIRC, i was able to download at speeds up to 600kbs. Recently, my speeds have decreased dramatically, to around 50-150kbs. This started occurring last month, and I'm wondering if it's a connection problem or if every server on IRC has started to slow down. Thanks for any feedback.
yrneh12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 01:32   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Just a note, when you download off of a file server on IRC, you're not downloading from the IRC server itself, but from a client connected to that server. The main IRC server merely relays the text and information of who is in what channel. I'm guessing you knew, but I wanted to make sure we're on the same page.

If you haven't changed any of your mIRC settings and you haven't messed with your router/firewall, I can make a few guesses:
1) You're connecting to servers that are overloaded/have bad routing to you;
2) You need to reset your modem (unless you're not experiencing slowdown anywhere else);
3) Your ISP has capped your maximum speed (cable companies have a tendency to do this if you're a heavy bandwidth user);
4) Some process on your system is saturating your bandwidth (malware? Could be easily verified if you have a bandwidth monitor like DUMeter or Netlimiter installed)

Those are just some ideas to get started with.
Old 2007-04-11, 17:56   Link #3
yrneh12

Hmm, I tried everything you did, but there was no considerable difference. I guess my ISP capped my bandwidth. Thanks for the help.
yrneh12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-18, 21:36   Link #4
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
If your ISP has capped your bandwidth, you can verify by calling them. Some (if not most) ISPs sell bandwidth options. The higher the price, the higher download and upload bandwidth limits you have.

Like Ledgem said, the IRC servers are just intermidiaries. They don't control the bandwidth between the reciever (you) and the sender. It's possible that the sender's bandwidth isn't very high.
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote