AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

View Poll Results: What do you think is behind the mystery?
There is a rational reason behind all of this. 140 74.87%
There is definitely something supernatural at hand. 47 25.13%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-04-18, 13:03   Link #61
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakman
Imho, it'd be a better experience to play the game unspoiled than to play it knowing all of the major plot events.
I'd agree with you if we were talking about another game, but not this.

I can be sure that the anime's not gonna have everything from the game, even if the anime is 26 episodes.
Old 2006-04-18, 13:08   Link #62
JanthraX^
Ace Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
spend several days in a hospital due to food poisoning, and I see that this show is moved to a different section...
oo, you better now right?

Yeah the way it started was pretty crazy, beating those 2 girls with a metal baseball bat, and the sound effects =[

weird and chilling hopefully it gets more 'chilling'
JanthraX^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 10:45   Link #63
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleutheria
and HimeyaShop is out of stock concerning the sound novels. Argh...
Check CDJapan, i'm sure they're instock there. ^^
Old 2006-04-19, 18:18   Link #64
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
Okay - so I downloaded this thing because I knew nothing about the game
and one of the things I do sometimes is grab something I know absolutely
nothing about because you never know if you'll like it or not.

That opening scene in episode one - holy crap - talk about brutality!
Then it goes to some normal type sweet anime stuff.

I had to head to work but now I have to watch it all to figure out what
the hell I just saw.
Old 2006-04-19, 18:47   Link #65
DoReMiFaSo
Samba!!

I am liking this series more and more.

The first episode is kind of boring with all those not-so-funny comedic moments, but then it gets more and more creepy. By now, after three episodes, I am hooked.

By the way, I heard that the game is composed of different parts. Does that mean each part is an independant story with different characters?
DoReMiFaSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 18:57   Link #66
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian
I know it is rural Japan in the 70s and all, but for god's sake, when you suspect someone is trying to kill you, LOCK THE DOORS! Sheesh. What's so hard about that.
x 1970s
o more specifically, it is 1983

Also, when you are in a state of mind where the fear of being killed is intense, locking the door is not a assurance of safety. Someone can easily break the doorknob or smash through the windows.

Quote:
I am beginning to suspect if Rena and Mion's psycho mode is some sort of hullucination on Keiichi's part :/ .
( ̄ー ̄)ニヤリッ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoReMiFaSo
I am liking this series more and more.

The first episode is kind of boring with all those not-so-funny comedic moments, but then it gets more and more creepy. By now, after three episodes, I am hooked.

By the way, I heard that the game is composed of different parts. Does that mean each part is an independant story with different characters?
Semi-independent story, same characters. But as the story progresses, you learn some of the mystery in the previous chapter, yet opens up to more secrets at the same time. And you learn that everything has a meaning, and that those semi-independent stories are actually connected in some certain way.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 21:23   Link #67
AsukaFan

Question for people that have played the game, although it's not a specific one. Regardless, it would be best if you kept the answers in spoilers since I would feel bad if I ruined it for somebody.

Anyway, is the ending depressing? I don't need specifics, I'd just like to know in general. There's nothing I dislike more than unhappy endings, and despite how good the story is rumored to be, I would prefer missing the series if it's just going to be a 26-episode downer.

The only reason I ask is
Spoiler for episode 1:
Maybe I'm wrong (which seems perfectly possible on such a weird show), but it's worth asking in advance what I'm getting into.
AsukaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 22:16   Link #68
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsukaFan
Anyway, is the ending depressing? I don't need specifics, I'd just like to know in general. There's nothing I dislike more than unhappy endings, and despite how good the story is rumored to be, I would prefer missing the series if it's just going to be a 26-episode downer.
There are many different endings. What you think it is is just the tip of the iceberg. Happy or unhappy, it ain't that simple for this anime. The ending is "see if you can figure out the mystery."
Old 2006-04-19, 23:09   Link #69
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Keiichi got it coming when he got
Spoiler:
I'm not sure what first-time watchers might think about that scene, but in the game, it wasn't that clear cut.
Spoiler for game content of episode 3:

Take everything you see with a grain of salt, just because you're shown something doesn't mean it's true. That's my advise as a game-player to anyone watching this show for the first-time.

Quote:
I know it is rural Japan in the 70s and all, but for god's sake, when you suspect someone is trying to kill you, LOCK THE DOORS! Sheesh. What's so hard about that.
He did, after he received his first concrete proofs that his life might be in danger (the ohagi incident and the white wagon).

Quote:
Quote:
I am beginning to suspect if Rena and Mion's psycho mode is some sort of hullucination on Keiichi's part :/ .
( ̄ー ̄)ニヤリッ
(´・ω・)レナガカワイソウ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srin Tuar
I dont understand why he talks to the cop.

The police officer is to me the most suspicious of all the characters.
He just knows way to much, and shows up at the strangest times.
I would tell that suspicious oyaji NOTHING.
Imagine this: It's possible that your friends and/or some unknown entities are after your life, you're lost and don't know who to turn to. And along comes a law enforcer who, despite looking a little fishy, has been totally helpful and supportive of you. I'd think that most people would rather choose to be cooperative with Oishi (the police detective) and gain an ally, rather than taking their chances on their own.

Quote:
Second, why is he being so circumspect about the needle in the anko.
If Rena did that to me I would outright demand an explanation. Maybe he should
visit her house and ring her doorbell.
Really? Wow, you got guts. If this was in real life, I sure as hell wouldn't run up to the house of someone who I think just tried to kill me. What's stopping her from coming out with an axe and finishing the job?

Quote:
And when she says he "transferred", why doesnt he challenge it?
I would immediately ask "Do you mean he's dead?" "Did you kill him?"
"Have you ever killed anyone?". They seem like perfectly resonable questions.
Heck, even "Why did you lie to me".
He was too busy being shocked about the fact that he's doing exactly the same things as someone who disappeared before him.

Quote:
And writing notes and taping them to the back of a clock? He's begging to die almost.
It's a little cliché yes, but it's also a very valid precaution to take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsukaFan
Even the original game hasn't reached the final chapter with the true ending yet, so nobody really knows how the anime will end. The endings for each individual chapters can also vary. If you're interested in the story at all, you should just stick around, it'd be a waste to miss out Higurashi simply because of some doubts about the ending.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 23:38   Link #70
AsukaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
If you're interested in the story at all, you should just stick around, it'd be a waste to miss out Higurashi simply because of some doubts about the ending.
I will trust you almost entirely due to your adorable Haruhi sig, but I'm warning you that I don't have a gun but I could probably get one if things don't go well. I would need your address, though, so I'm counting on your sense of fair play for that.
AsukaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 00:37   Link #71
Sakuya
*Artist

Quote:
There are many different endings. What you think it is is just the tip of the iceberg. Happy or unhappy, it ain't that simple for this anime. The ending is "see if you can figure out the mystery."
Are you for real? I really hope there is at least SOME closure...
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 02:02   Link #72
Shenlong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^
Is anyone bloggin this series?

Kinda suprise neither omi or memento is blogging it.
Try searching blogsuki.com
Shenlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 04:26   Link #73
evil-samurai

Watch episode 2 and it was Great! I dont mind the comedy moments they aren't horrible to watch for me more so they were nicely done at a good pace. In a way it make the horror value of the show even better (more shocking).

I like psychotic/broken characters but they aren't brought out that well alot of times. Though here they get to the point fast, which I like. Also it was good because it was only a little side we saw of her, and there is more to come *looks at the opening* The transistion was wonderfull to say the least, but I think her small short scream could of been done a little better.

Last edited by evil-samurai; 2006-04-20 at 05:52.
evil-samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 09:17   Link #74
Eleutheria
旅行癖

I splurged and bought the seven chapters (2 CDs) from Himeya.

Quote:
...that one scene with the needle is just continuously bothering me
The way I eat bean cakes will ensure that I never get poked by a needle. For Kira, though, it should have shown blood oozing from his lips.
Old 2006-04-20, 12:24   Link #75
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya
Are you for real? I really hope there is at least SOME closure...
There is closure. Too bad the anime won't get to the chapter where they explain everything. But doing so ruins the fun of the mystery, so it's a double-edged sword. The interesting part about this title was that as it was confidently touted: "less than 1% can figure out the entireity of this story."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello
I am not sure how scolding or confronting her would achieve much at all. She could simply claim that the needle in the ohagi was an accident. If she denied everything, what are you going to do? Unless you are willing to kill her, I doubt one can do anything to improve the situation. The way I see it, provoking a murderer is probably a bad idea and most likely will hasten your death instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleutheria
The way I eat bean cakes will ensure that I never get poked by a needle. For Kira, though, it should have shown blood oozing from his lips.
Word of advice, don't take what you are watching so straightfowardly:

Spoiler for only Sushi-Y or people who have played the first chapter is allowed to read:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^
Just because of the fact that I am pervert but did anyone else notice what the waitress was wearing in the cafe where Kei and the detective was meeting? It looks kinda cosplayish. Was that something Japanese cafe waitress wear in the 70s
People don't get it do they?

x 1970s
o More precisely, 1983

The 70s and 80s encompass totally different decades, as much as the 1990s differ from the first decades of our 21st century.

Interestingly, many of our restaurant uniforms are very cute, but I don't ever recall going to a Royal Host when I was a kid back in the eighties to see that much skin. I guess Angel Mort is way ahead of its time wwww.
Spoiler:

Last edited by kj1980; 2006-04-20 at 13:14.
Old 2006-04-20, 13:47   Link #76
Freakman

Well, he based the 1% off 100 mails after Onikakushi, but I wonder if 1% of the player base came up with even half of what Minagoroshi revealed.
But then, is all of Minagoroshi even true ?

And Xellos : I don't know how much of it they will show, but expect more strange stuff from that restaurant ^^

Last edited by Freakman; 2006-04-20 at 14:10.
Freakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 15:43   Link #77
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
And Xellos : I don't know how much of it they will show, but expect more strange stuff from that restaurant ^^
i will be sure to keep my eye on the waitress
Old 2006-04-20, 17:44   Link #78
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
But then, is all of Minagoroshi even true ?
If even the answer chapters contain false truths, then we might as well give up.

Quote:
Word of advice, don't take what you are watching so straightforwardly:

Spoiler for only Sushi-Y or people who have played the first chapter is allowed to read:
Spoiler for truth about Onikakushi?:

A major focus within Onikakushi was also on Keiichi's own internal conflicts: his own doubts about his friends, then trust, and then doubt again. Keiichi was constantly fighting with himself about what to believe in, and hammering out what he believes to be appropriate responses/countermeasures. Unfortunately, the anime never really tried to get into Keiichi's head and explain any of this.

Last edited by Sushi-Y; 2006-04-20 at 18:52.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 18:09   Link #79
Freakman

It's not like the anime actually had the *time* to do any of that ^^;
Since I'm translating the anime into french, I was checking the game script for those whispers in ep 2, and as you said, we don't get to hear these kind of comments from Keiichi :
しかし……どうして俺は寝たふりをしながら仲間の会話を盗み聞かなきゃならないんだろう…
後ろめたさに…胸が痛んだ。
Translation in spoiler for those that have seen ep 2 and want some more info:
Spoiler:

For kj & sushi [ note : there's no direct spoiler for anything, but anyway non game players shouldn't be reading this ^^ ]
Spoiler:

Last edited by Freakman; 2006-04-20 at 18:22.
Freakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 18:13   Link #80
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
Spoiler:
THAT SHOULD REALLY BE IN SPOILER TAGS FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T PLAYED THE GAME.

Spoiler:

Now if perhaps they were able to pull off an excellent first-person view of the world as Kyo-Ani has done in Suzumiya Haruhi, some of these internal conflicts going in within Kei-chan might've been exerted to the viewers.