AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-11-07, 22:52   Link #81
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

For those that keep insisting that us westerners "can't or won't" get Lucky Star, I present this:

Any questions?
Old 2007-11-08, 00:01   Link #82
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

And now you all know where the term "trout-slap" came from
Old 2007-11-08, 21:56   Link #83
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustInn14 View Post
How the crap are they going to dub the theme song?!
The only company that dubs OPs is Funimation and they don't even do it all the time. They usually do a good job when they do it.
Old 2007-11-09, 20:24   Link #84
Trogdor Jube
Back at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
The only company that dubs OPs is Funimation and they don't even do it all the time. They usually do a good job when they do it.
*cough4kidscough*
Old 2007-11-09, 20:36   Link #85
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor Jube View Post
*cough4kidscough*
4Kids don't dub OPs, they replace them outright. That's a huge difference.
Old 2007-11-09, 20:48   Link #86
ashesatdusk

Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
Funimation Dubbed One Piece's theme song. And actually Dubbed, same song, same music, translated and sung in english.

I'm surprised that this is coming at all, because it most likely can't reach a mainstream audience. If I were bandai I would just release it subbed and not even bother dubbing it. Has any company ever tried marketing an anime that way?
Old 2007-11-09, 20:57   Link #87
Tokkan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashesatdusk View Post
If I were bandai I would just release it subbed and not even bother dubbing it. Has any company ever tried marketing an anime that way?
Yes, and they do terribly. Bandai Visual USA (NOT to be confused with Bandai Entertainment) is one of the worst examples.
Old 2007-11-09, 21:21   Link #88
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
Yes, and they do terribly. Bandai Visual USA (NOT to be confused with Bandai Entertainment) is one of the worst examples.
Well, it depends on what you're measuring. Media Blasters' Kashimashi subbed-only release was said to have exceeded expectations, and nobody knows what Bandai Visual USA's expectations of sales were (so long as they break even, do they care?). The theory is basically, would they have sold enough extra copies to pay for the dub? The answer depends. In any event, it isn't "black and white".

But for a potentially-successful (though certainly niche) show like this, it just makes sense to offer a dub. Based on pedigree alone ("from the creators of Haruhi..."), people will be curious, and the dub will open the doors for some. I don't see why people continue to believe that this show is especially niche -- anyone with an interest in anime culture, and even beyond, could be interested. Most of the anime to be licensed would never air on mainstream TV, but that's okay.
Old 2007-11-09, 23:30   Link #89
X207
Gamyūsa

seems that some sites havent caught on to lucky star being lecensed . cant name the site for obvious reasons.
Old 2007-11-10, 01:34   Link #90
Mad Dog
Banned

Quote:
If I were bandai I would just release it subbed and not even bother dubbing it.
I'd have to agree. Bringing out a subbed only version of Lucky Star would the the best thing for the show and Bandai. I just can't stand the thought of hearing Tsukasa with an English voice unless they find someone who sounds EXACTLY like her Japanese voice. Which with Bandai's record in impossible.
Old 2007-11-10, 03:04   Link #91
nuaythebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
I'd have to agree. Bringing out a subbed only version of Lucky Star would the the best thing for the show and Bandai. I just can't stand the thought of hearing Tsukasa with an English voice unless they find someone who sounds EXACTLY like her Japanese voice. Which with Bandai's record in impossible.
They already include sub and Japanese track in dvd. I don't understand how "Bringing out a subbed only version" is the best thing for the show?? It just make less people buy this show and that is the best for the show you like???? Bandai visual's Gunbuster 1 +2 sold less than 2000 copies (combine all) and that is the best thing for the show???
Old 2007-11-10, 03:15   Link #92
Tokkan

Quote:
Okay.

1. You're wanting something that's impossible regardless of anyone's record.
2. Just because you can't see a dub being any good, you don't want there to be a dub and thus are excluding the people who prefer dubs?
3. There's always the option to watch in original Japanese with subs. That's the entire purpose of "Uncut Bilingual Anime DVDs".
Old 2007-11-10, 09:14   Link #93
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
If Lucky Star gets an outsource dub in Singapore, that's when we start worrying. Since that's not the case especially since Bang Zoom! is dubbing it, just wait and see.
Old 2007-11-10, 21:50   Link #94
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustInn14 View Post
How the crap are they going to dub the theme song?!
They won't touch the OP. I'm more worried about the ED, which mixed dialogue with singing. The range of things they can do to this makes me cringe:

1) Leave it alone. It's probably the best way to do this, but it would leave people confused.

2) Attempt to dub the dialogue and back off once the singing starts. This would go from amusing to ugly, because sometimes they speak between lines. There is absolutely no way they can sound exactly like the Japanese singing VAs, and switching between dubbers and originals midway would be jarring.

3) Just dub the whole thing. Doing so would put Bandai's ICBM address in high demand.
Old 2007-11-11, 01:15   Link #95
Mad Dog
Banned

How about the EDs where Minoru sings?
Old 2007-11-11, 20:30   Link #96
Trogdor Jube
Back at it again

Quote:
How about the EDs where Minoru sings?
They might as well keep it the same. The viewers will catch on.
Old 2007-11-11, 23:55   Link #97
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The issues with dubbing (especially around the ED material) is making my head hurt.... as long as they leave the japanese track alone and sub it decently...
Old 2007-11-19, 09:12   Link #98
kevin13
Disabled By Request

Wow...

This is something I expected in absolutly no way...

If I had to pick a series that I thought wouldn't be Licensed it'd be lucky star.

Amazing.
Old 2007-11-23, 21:39   Link #99
Snowy-Scottish-Fold

Personally I think that this is a disaster. A lot of people won't get some of the "inside" jokes. Also the characters and your interpretation of them are judged by the voices of them. You can't replace the voices that the Japanese VA's, it takes away from the anime. But I'm going to get the DVD anyway just so I have all of the episodes. >.<
Old 2007-11-23, 23:08   Link #100
The Timotei Teller
Hot under these lights...

Well, I doubt anyone would just pluck a random anime off some store shelf without prior knowledge of it. I'm willing to bet that 80% of the people who'll buy the DVDs are already well-versed in the show and its inside-jokes. If they're buying the dubs, they've probably already seen the subs...

But if the people you're referring to really exist, then yes, it will be a disaster for them... but you know, any problem worth solving can be solved with a little research. It's not like it would kill them to google "Aya Hirano" or "Meito Anisawa."
Closed Thread