AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-10, 00:23   Link #221
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Thread request,
I would like to sugest a thread (with spoiler) about speculating what kind of being Haruhi is, or how we should call haruhi. After all Yuki, Asahina and Koisumi hare not calling her in a same way ( possibility for evolution, time disturbance or even god ).
Old 2008-02-10, 03:30   Link #222
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Thread request,
I would like to sugest a thread (with spoiler) about speculating what kind of being Haruhi is, or how we should call haruhi. After all Yuki, Asahina and Koisumi hare not calling her in a same way ( possibility for evolution, time disturbance or even god ).
The Ontology of Suzumiya Haruhi

Ontology
Philosophy: the branch of metaphysics that deals with the nature of being.
Ontological Argument
Philosophy: one of the arguments that attempts to prove the concept of God is the concept of a being who cannot but exist.
Ontogeny
The entire sequence of events involved in the development of an individual organism.
Old 2008-03-01, 19:26   Link #223
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

If you've been in the image thread lately, the gender-bending 4 komas have sparked all kinds of talk regarding how the series would be if it was like that. Is it enough to warrant a thread of its own called The Gender-Bending of Haruhi Suzumiya?

If anything, it'll get the off-topic posts out of that thread...
Old 2008-03-01, 22:36   Link #224
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Hmm... perhaps we should host it in the Fan Creations forum instead, and move all the relevant posts into a "The Genderbending of Haruhi Suzumiya" thread there?

Whichever works better. I'd love for it to still be here in the Haruhi subforum though.

Old 2008-03-02, 14:43   Link #225
xris
Just call me Ojisan

I have no objection in creating a new thread but since I'm not sure of the subject matter, could I ask that someone creates an opening post here and then I can create a new thread from that post.
Old 2008-03-02, 15:53   Link #226
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

One last edit: Thank you very much, supreme moderator xris.

Last edited by DJ_RockmanX; 2008-03-02 at 16:49.
Old 2008-03-02, 16:44   Link #227
xris
Just call me Ojisan

New thread created.

The Genderbending of Haruhi Suzumiya

Further guidelines in the first post might be needed (along the lines of the opening post of the The Images of Haruhi Suzumiya), we shall see.
Old 2008-03-02, 16:50   Link #228
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

I quoted the rules of the image thread. Will that suffice?

Old 2008-03-07, 00:39   Link #229
RandomGuy
ここに居ってんねん

As a sequel (prequel?) of sorts to The Genderbending of Haruhi Suzumiya, I'd like to propose a new thread based on a personal project I've wanted to start on for a while now: The Old-Timening of Haruhi Suzumiya. (Yes, I know "old-timening" is not a word. If you can come up with something better, feel free to change it.)

Basically, I was inspired by some seriously old copies of the magazine Shinseinen that I was looking at in order to research contemporary portrayals of the Great Kanto Earthquake, and noticed that Taisho- and early Showa-period magazines contained quite a bit of serialized fiction, both translated from western sources and produced by homegrown talent. (In particular, one issue had a "new" detective story by Edogawa Ranpo, which I found amusing to no end.) With this in mind, I thought, why not take one of the most famous faces in modern youth-oriented (non-manga) fiction, and transplant her into the vibrant literary environment of 1920s Japan? Thus, the idea of The Melancholy of Haruko Mikami was born.

My basic premise for the story in its 1920s-incarnation is as follows:
Spoiler for lengthy premise:

Granted, such a story has to have "historical evidence" to back it up, which is why I also have a quote from a fake social criticism journal of the 1960s which puts it into further "perspective":
Spoiler for quote from fake leftist journal:

Now, I'm not a native Japanese speaker, and my ability to write literary-sounding Japanese is somewhat... shaky at best. In fact, I might be better off trying to write a version in English... but because I find writing with classical Kanji and old-style orthography so fascinating, I went ahead and tried my hand at the opening sentence in Japanese.

Spoiler for opening line:

To do the entire thing in a manner that looks and sounds convincingly like 1920s Japanese popular fiction is probably an entirely too-monumental task for anyone, let alone myself, to take on, but because this idea is driving me up the wall, I thought I might go ahead and post it up here so maybe some other people can have a say in it. So, uhm... thoughts?
Old 2008-03-07, 00:45   Link #230
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Omoshiroi. Sounds like a hard undertaking, but creativity and inspiration is a non-factor so long as the spirit of the goddess is present.

Old 2008-03-08, 04:03   Link #231
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomGuy View Post
As a sequel (prequel?) of sorts to The Genderbending of Haruhi Suzumiya, I'd like to propose a new thread based on a personal project I've wanted to start on for a while now: The Old-Timening of Haruhi Suzumiya. (Yes, I know "old-timening" is not a word. If you can come up with something better, feel free to change it.)
I don't want to discourage you in this project but what I would suggest is that you go ahead and post this in the Fan Creations forum. While you are (not unreasonably) asking for help on the project it does seem like a personal project, unlike the Genderbending thread.

I would say create your thread and we can see how it goes from there but I would think Fan Creations is the more appropriate location.
Old 2008-03-14, 19:56   Link #232
ijuinkun

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomGuy View Post

To do the entire thing in a manner that looks and sounds convincingly like 1920s Japanese popular fiction is probably an entirely too-monumental task for anyone, let alone myself, to take on, but because this idea is driving me up the wall, I thought I might go ahead and post it up here so maybe some other people can have a say in it. So, uhm... thoughts?
Well IMO, Haruhi would fit better in a somewhat steampunkish 1920s similar to the Sakura Taisen world.
Old 2008-03-26, 08:58   Link #233
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Such is the effect of the initial Genderbending artists that it has reinvigorated the Haruhiist community worldwide.

At first, I do not object to images of the Genderbends being placed into that thread, but lately, the thread seems to have become a victim of its success for image hunters like me.

Ideas are now flooding into that thread much quicker than there are new images that it's becoming increasingly difficult to navigate just to get the pics. I hasten to add that I am not trying to take anything away from the brilliant effort and ideas these people have brought, making our lives less dull.

So there now exist two solutions:

1. re-allow Genderbend pics in the Original Image Thread,

or

2. open a new Genderbend Image Thread that is separate from the Genderbend Brainstorm and Discussion Thread.
Old 2008-03-26, 10:37   Link #234
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

I say new image thread. Artists can post their stuff there too.

We'll put the image archive in the first post, along with standard first post fare.

Old 2008-03-28, 12:41   Link #235
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_RockmanX View Post
I say new image thread. Artists can post their stuff there too.

We'll put the image archive in the first post, along with standard first post fare.
Considering it took me forever to load the discussion thread due to all the pics, Ill make a seperate image thread

Edit: Done
DJ: Im leaving the archiving to you Just make it the 2nd post.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing

Last edited by White Manju Bun; 2008-03-28 at 13:00.
Old 2008-03-28, 15:34   Link #236
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Considering it took me forever to load the discussion thread due to all the pics, Ill make a seperate image thread

Edit: Done
DJ: Im leaving the archiving to you Just make it the 2nd post.
I was kind of hoping this request would never actually be carried out.

It's gonna be hell to get all these images moved...

And then there's likely to be a need for a genderbending videos thread, an avatar thread, the doujin project thread...

Can we get our own section?

Old 2008-03-28, 15:37   Link #237
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_RockmanX View Post
I was kind of hoping this request would never actually be carried out.

It's gonna be hell to get all these images moved...

And then there's likely to be a need for a genderbending videos thread, an avatar thread, the doujin project thread...

Can we get our own section?
Well maybe just archive some not 5K+ post worth. Im more hoping the thread will be used for stuff found outside AS like most image threads are.

Dont think youll be getting your own section though, I know this is popular but I dont see a reason to move it from the Haruhi section. The normal avy/sig thread can be used.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2008-03-28, 15:39   Link #238
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Well maybe just archive some not 5K+ post worth. Im more hoping the thread will be used for stuff found outside AS like most image threads are.

Dont think youll be getting your own section though, I know this is popular but I dont see a reason to move it from the Haruhi section. The normal avy/sig thread can be used.
Well it was worth a shot.

Now to work on that archive post...

Old 2008-04-17, 21:31   Link #239
brocko

Requesting a new thread for the recently announced Official English Light Novels.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...els-in-english

The Novel and Manga thread has many spoilers and I sometimes i don't even dare to venture into the thread in fears of spoilers myself. I think this holds true for a number of other members and users as well. I personally think that the current Novel and Manga thread is an unsuitable place to discuss the official English release of the novels due to it's spoiler-heavy nature. I'm not sure of the exact details of the thread myself as i don't monitor it, but I'm inclined to believe that even discussion of the manga is rarely found in the thread partially for this exact same reason too. I hope the mod team takes this consideration and request with great thought.

EDIT: I would also like to bring up the Licensing of Haruhi Suzumiya thread, which just came into my attention, and whether that would be a better alternative as opposed to creating an entirely new thread altogether. If so then please disregard this request.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
Old 2008-07-06, 03:24   Link #240
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Can there be like a character analysis of Haruhi Suzumiya or did is there already a thread like this?
Closed Thread