AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-11-06, 22:49   Link #2381
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
Umm no, when Obama and the Democrats had the House and Senate, stuff that was near and dear to me got done.

When the House Split to the Republicans, you know what happened? Hyper-partisan bs and using the debt ceiling hostage which would have crashed the global economy yet again.
It's this type of me, me, me thinking which is at the root of our hyper-partisan politics today, on all sides of the aisle.

Yes, it's all great if things being done fall into your world-view, but what happens when the shoe is on the other foot? With a country as large and diverse as ours, the best course of action is a Federal government that gets little done. Local governance has a far better shot at actually representing people "fairly", though there is no such thing as perfect representation obviously.
Also, cake.
Old 2012-11-06, 22:50   Link #2382
Aya Reiko
Cutengu

MO goes Mitt

Old 2012-11-06, 22:51   Link #2383
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
It's this type of me, me, me thinking which is at the root of our hyper-partisan politics today, on all sides of the aisle.

Yes, it's all great if things being done fall into your world-view, but what happens when the shoe is on the other foot? With a country as large as ours, the best course of action is a Federal government that gets little done. Local governance has a far better shot at actually representing people "fairly".
That depends on ones world view I guess. I disagree with this, but I respect your position.

One might think it's "me me me" but I believe that establishing a floor of safety nets for people IS a good thing and will do my best to support ways to get it.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Old 2012-11-06, 22:51   Link #2384
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito-kid View Post
Just woke! (it's 4:30AM in Holland)
Damn, Romney is leading? FFS! Is he really going to win?
btw, which news organization is the most reliable one? (I'm following CNN)
It's pretty much a lock for Obama at this point.

Following CNN is only isn't a good idea, they delay calling out states too much and are late at reporting anything.

Use this
http://thinkprogress.org/politics/20...lbu-1352254487
Old 2012-11-06, 22:52   Link #2385
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Buh-bye Todd Akin, maybe that'll teach you to have some decency...well probably not, but at least you won't be in a position of political power anymore. Really glad these guys are losing and almost certainly because of their terribly callous positions on rape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
It's pretty much a lock for Obama at this point.

Following CNN is only isn't a good idea, they delay calling out states too much and are late at reporting anything.

Use this
http://thinkprogress.org/politics/20...lbu-1352254487
Didn't you hear, the election is going to be a tie I tells ya a tie haha.....
Old 2012-11-06, 22:53   Link #2386
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
With a country as large and diverse as ours, the best course of action is a Federal government that gets little done. Local governance has a far better shot at actually representing people "fairly", though there is no such thing as perfect representation obviously.
Of course, the caveat of that scenario being that when there are things that needed to get done, it won't be either.
Old 2012-11-06, 22:55   Link #2387
Aya Reiko
Cutengu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Buh-bye Todd Akin, maybe that'll teach you to have some decency...well probably not, but at least you won't be in a position of political power anymore. Really glad these guys are losing and almost certainly because of their terribly callous positions on rape.
If you heard his "concession" speech, nope.
Old 2012-11-06, 22:55   Link #2388
Fahd
* >/dev/null

Quote:
Compromise kind of defeats the entire point behind a split Congress/WH. The two party system tied to our "balance" between the WH, Senate, and House, is a zero-sum game. If anything, we should be glad for gridlock. Government would be far scarier if it was an actual effective machine at legislating. It'd be all roses if it happened to be legislating things you love, but a complete nightmare if you happen to be on the other side of that divide.
<random musings>

I've always found the idea of a national government that gets nothing done as being appealing... a rather amusing notion. What's the point of having those people in office (any paying them no less) if not to get things done?

Compromise seems to be the entire basis of the House/Senate/White House system. Moderating the excesses of both sides to obtain an equitable solution for all. Unfortunately if you have two sides (or even just one side) that take extreme views so that compromise isn't possible, then nothing gets done, and doesn't that make people feel as though their government is kinda worthless?

</random musings>
Old 2012-11-06, 22:55   Link #2389
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Elisabeth Warren is giving her Victory speech now. Good stuff.

Virginia's Tim Kane won the VA senate race according to MSNBC projections.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Old 2012-11-06, 22:56   Link #2390
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Old 2012-11-06, 22:58   Link #2391
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Fairweather supporters.

This is as much of a sad sight as football stadiums emptying early when the result is already known.
Old 2012-11-06, 22:58   Link #2392
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aya Reiko View Post
If you heard his "concession" speech, nope.
I heard that Romney HQ actually cut off his feed so it must have been pretty bad. I'm sure I can find it on Youtube soon enough.
Old 2012-11-06, 22:58   Link #2393
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
@Aya Reiko: Cool avatar choices, but I see Romney more as vampire than a conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Still, I hope someone will Bush's ass sent into the brig at The Hague. This bastard should meet the same fate as Slobodan Milosevic for everything he (Bush) did.
Second that... at least if Obama wins, we have to worry about one less government slaughtering civilians around the globe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Al Jazeera and BBC.
BBC is usually balanced in its coverage; for the arab one, I have no clue... definitely avoid american and private news networks, they are less reliable then hardcore party bloggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
As long as the Tea Party is so influential, there won't be any compromise on even the most trivial things.
Sad but true... for the life of me, I can not comprehend how can people be so proud of their stupidity
Old 2012-11-06, 23:00   Link #2394
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahd View Post
<random musings>

I've always found the idea of a national government that gets nothing done as being appealing... a rather amusing notion. What's the point of having those people in office (any paying them no less) if not to get things done?

Compromise seems to be the entire basis of the House/Senate/White House system. Moderating the excesses of both sides to obtain an equitable solution for all. Unfortunately if you have two sides (or even just one side) that take extreme views so that compromise isn't possible, then nothing gets done, and doesn't that make people feel as though their government is kinda worthless?

</random musings>
But, that's exactly why you're paying all those people money. To keep things in gridlock, and prevent any one side from actually "winning". Is there a more perfect system of checks and balances than one that results in no "winner"?

It would only be "worthless" if in the absence of that system, nothing was accomplished as well. Which would be a false assumption.
Also, cake.
Old 2012-11-06, 23:00   Link #2395
amasposu

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2038616.html

I will be watching Huffington Post's live stream all night~~~
Old 2012-11-06, 23:00   Link #2396
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
They are not calling for Ohio, Virginia and Florida yet. Also, nothing is officially given on the West Coast yet. However, things still look good for Obama because the entire West Coast (esp. California with 55 electoral votes) will be a given for the Dems (uneless there's a disaster), Ohio is leaning towards the Dems and Florida is all about counting in Miami now (strong Dem position).

Perhaps the BBC can give you some input. I'd rather not watch any US news channel for now.
lol, California can give 55 votes? Why (more than NY and Texes)?
I don't understand the whole electoral college thing..
Old 2012-11-06, 23:01   Link #2397
Iron Maw
Banned

Hahaha, Fox looks like it's having a funeral.
Old 2012-11-06, 23:03   Link #2398
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito-kid View Post
lol, California can give 55 votes? Why (more than NY and Texes)?
I don't understand the whole electoral college thing..
The number of votes is based on population. Lots of people in California.
Old 2012-11-06, 23:03   Link #2399
GDB

Daily Show's coverage is great so far. Anderson Cooper and his Golden Saxophone, and PATRICK STEWART! haha
Old 2012-11-06, 23:03   Link #2400
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Closed Thread