AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-12-21, 13:50   Link #18561
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
Very unlikely. The pharma industry prefers pandemics that can be cured. If you kill all your customers, you'll ruin your business.
treat not cured.
Continuous Treatment = stream of revenue
Cured = one time earning

and it be a accident like The Stand form Stephen King.
Old 2011-12-21, 14:13   Link #18562
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
treat not cured.
Continuous Treatment = stream of revenue
Cured = one time earning
You forgot one thing:
Virus is mutating= need to start again= another round of treatement= another steam of revenue
Old 2011-12-21, 15:35   Link #18563
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
The virus will escape then turn 90% of the world population into zombies. so who has their zombie apocalypse safety kit update?
I have my coffee. I'm ready.

Endless "Good to the Last Drop" Soul
Old 2011-12-21, 16:49   Link #18564
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
My bad...meant J-20

China doesn't even see overseas Chinese as part of them nor do the latter identify with the former for that matter....It's more for potential money making deals than anything else...

Their more concerned with East Asia than here...
seriously where are you getting this form? This is so over the top i am not even sure where to begin.

As for oversea Chinese not identifying as Chinese, maybe 2nd or 3rd generation but the majority of 1st generation Chinese still count themselves as Chinese. And if any of the 2nd or 3rd gen Chinese they will still be count as Chinese.
Old 2011-12-21, 17:39   Link #18565
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

They may or may not see themselves as Chinese, but that doesn't mean they like the PRC.
Old 2011-12-21, 17:44   Link #18566
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
They may or may not see themselves as Chinese, but that doesn't mean they like the PRC.
you would be surprise at how many support the PRC.
Old 2011-12-21, 17:49   Link #18567
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Chechnya: How did Putin's party win 99 percent?
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7BK1CA20111221
Quote:
(Reuters) - Dagmein Khaseinova beams with pride recalling the day her Chechen village, devastated a decade ago in a war launched by Vladimir Putin, gave the Russian ruler's party nearly 100 percent support in a parliamentary vote this month.

Her little village of Mekhketi, she said, is even on the way to winning the cash prize she says authorities have promised for the polling station registering the biggest turnout.

"(We've) already won the regional competition. In a few days we'll hear whether we won throughout all of Chechnya," Khaseinova, 53, said, wearing a traditional Chechen scarf over her head and squinting in the cold mountain air.
Old 2011-12-21, 19:16   Link #18568
solomon

Quote:
I've always been interested about this.

I think it largely depends. I have a friend who got out of the PRC by the time he was 8 and moved here to Philly, he ain't got NO designs on going back. Then again he meets grad students (he's in a conservatory) that seem to hum a different tune so you know.

Heard an interesting BBC documentary about China trying to lure back scientists from abroad, one guy from California said that it will be no easy task. The place is good for labor, but not great for innovation due to the top down culture and lack of debate (nutshell of his words, not min).
Old 2011-12-21, 19:32   Link #18569
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
I've always been interested about this.

I think it largely depends. I have a friend who got out of the PRC by the time he was 8 and moved here to Philly, he ain't got NO designs on going back. Then again he meets grad students (he's in a conservatory) that seem to hum a different tune so you know.
it largely depends on how old the person is when they left China. The older the person the more likely they will want to return. However just to draw the line most of them love China but is neutral to the PRC itself. They don't so much as support the PRC as support a prosperous China. However ambivalent feeling to the PRC shouldn't mistake as supporters of Democracy. My brother-in law was a demonstrator in Tienanmen Square and went home the day before the PRC bought in the tanks. Even so he is not a big fan or supporter of the so call student leaders democracy that the west likes to parade around.

Quote:
Heard an interesting BBC documentary about China trying to lure back scientists from abroad, one guy from California said that it will be no easy task. The place is good for labor, but not great for innovation due to the top down culture and lack of debate (nutshell of his words, not min).
i read a article about that and it made a point that with how Chinese went abroad to study. China don't have to get a majority of them back. Just 10% back would be a tremendous help to the country.
Old 2011-12-21, 19:58   Link #18570
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I was under the impression that a lot of overseas Chinese do not have a high opinion of the PRC government, as they left China in the aftermath of the Communist victory in the civil war, and were supporters of the Nationalists, and came from middle or upper class backgrounds. When you consider that most Overseas Chinese fall into a merchant/entrepreneurial or professional background (all those restaraunts...), then I can't imagine them having a good opinion of a government that abolished private property and mostly appealed to the rural peasantry.

Of course the CPC of today is not the CPC of the Mao years, but I would have imagined that older overseas chinese would have still held some kind of grudge against the Communists.

Or am I incorrect?
Old 2011-12-21, 21:08   Link #18571
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Depends on where you live. My grandparents don't support the PRC all the way up to their deaths. Neither do most of my locals since they detest the PRC migrants for "lowering real wages" while compounding social issues.

However, the anti-caucasian sentiment still remains strong. I think that is a given since the Brits walked out on us 70 years ago.

Btw, Cosmic Eagle is from the same country as me. We have instances where our GP essays are copied wholesale and sent for marking, and have to fight for legitimacy with our teachers. And seeing a PRC arguing with our local police over a summon for spitting on the road or discarding a cigarette butt.....it is all so bloody common that the New Paper (a local newspaper which is known for its rather sensationalist style of news coverage but excellent sports reporting) stopped covering the issue at length.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-12-22, 03:42   Link #18572
Noctis Lucis
It's how you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Exactly my point. The UK has bigger problems now, and will always have. Today the Eurozone, tomorrow the Falklands. Can't count on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Depends on where you live. My grandparents don't support the PRC all the way up to their deaths. Neither do most of my locals since they detest the PRC migrants for "lowering real wages" while compounding social issues.
I won't say too much on this, but PRC disdains foreign Chinese because they seem to consider them ROC bedrock support. You can extrapolate from there.

Quote:
Btw, Cosmic Eagle is from the same country as me. We have instances where our GP essays are copied wholesale and sent for marking
There's even tuition for GP. No surprises there.

Quote:
And seeing a PRC arguing with our local police over a summon for spitting on the road or discarding a cigarette butt.....
The Curry incident, anyone?

Old 2011-12-22, 04:17   Link #18573
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctis Lucis View Post
Exactly my point. The UK has bigger problems now, and will always have. Today the Eurozone, tomorrow the Falklands. Can't count on them.
Yeah and next they will be attacked for controlling the closing price of oil.

I won't say too much on this, but PRC disdains foreign Chinese because they seem to consider them ROC bedrock support. You can extrapolate from there.
[/quote]

That is because the PRC only wanted ROC for one reason : the control of the entire trade route between SEA to Russia and Alaska, and effectively, the South China Sea.

If it wasn't for the 7th Fleet they would have moved down from there and choked off trade and communications between US and the SEA. Of course, the Malays in this region would be so pissed that it would turn into a real painful conflict.

If there is a conflict in that area it would be good to buy LMT and hold till the conflict ends : I feel like an asshole for profiting from other people's demise.

Quote:
There's even tuition for GP. No surprises there.
Selling GP essays used to be lucrative until some PRC from another school resorted to stealing a buyer's essay. Then it became a serious issue because neither of them know the content and both got zero; apparently that PRC copied letter to letter and didn't bothered reading it.

Quote:
The Curry incident, anyone?
I remember during that time a friend of mine said that we should start learning the PRC National Anthem since our government has effectively been "broken" by China's influence and became butt slaves to them.

That is some disturbing morbid humour. What is more disturbing is that our elections are starting to look similar to what US's is right now; populist politics with bread and circuses. Although it is not as bad, I can't stand listening to a rally or debate when those politicians are attacking each other and appealing to ridicule instead of addressing national issues and concerns.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-12-22, 05:11   Link #18574
Noctis Lucis
It's how you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Yeah and next they will be attacked for controlling the closing price of oil.
Malaysia already control what greenies consider the intermediate step to renewables: biofuels (or at least the most prominent, palm oil prices).

Quote:
Selling GP essays used to be lucrative until some PRC from another school resorted to stealing a buyer's essay. Then it became a serious issue because neither of them know the content and both got zero; apparently that PRC copied letter to letter and didn't bothered reading it.
Interesting stuff. Do the essay titles change annually?

Quote:
I remember during that time a friend of mine said that we should start learning the PRC National Anthem since our government has effectively been "broken" by China's influence and became butt slaves to them.
I won't be too surprised... so here you have it.
起来!不愿做奴隶的人们!
把我们的血肉,筑成我们新的长城!
中华民族到了最危险的时候—
每个人被迫着发出最后的吼声!

起来!起来!起来!
我们万众一心,
冒着敌人的炮火,前进!
前进!前进!进!
Quote:
That is some disturbing morbid humour.
I don't consider Mr Brown morbid in any way.

Quote:
What is more disturbing is that our elections are starting to look similar to what US's is right now; populist politics with bread and circuses.
Tell me when the opposition can fill its side of the chamber.

Quote:
Although it is not as bad, I can't stand listening to a rally or debate when those politicians are attacking each other and appealing to ridicule instead of addressing national issues and concerns.
Spoiler for Well, I'm not surprised.:

I mean, this really takes the cake.
Old 2011-12-22, 05:45   Link #18575
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

For those of you who actually know about the Eurozone crisis, can anyone tell me how accurate this article is?:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16290598
Old 2011-12-22, 05:53   Link #18576
Zakoo

Accurate, though they are -on purpose- ignoring the others parts of the new threaty that weren't respected in the past.

The end isn't as easy as this, there's still some hope unlike what they are saying, depends of what the BCE will do. Or maybe it's only retarding the undodgable end.
Old 2011-12-22, 05:57   Link #18577
Noctis Lucis
It's how you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
For those of you who actually know about the Eurozone crisis, can anyone tell me how accurate this article is?:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16290598
As usual from the BBC, somewhat skimpy on details but very accurate.
It was Germany who profited from the Euro (the Deutschmark was getting really large and affected exports negatively) and the south were able, for once, to compete with China+India, and to afford German goods.

Now that the Euro's in the doldrums due to this conundrum, Germany should do something about it, rather than pulling in the non-Euro 10 EU members (UK, Sweden, Denmark, etc.) - Germany gained from the Euro, so it should also fix the mess.

In fact, it can. Call off the Euro.

It's not something workable in the long run since the Catholic South have very different industries (tourism, service) compared to the Protestant North (manufacturing). Thus what's good for the North is ultimately harmful to the South & v.v.

Actually, Germany can just create two currencies - one for the North and one for the South. The South would then work to join the fiscal status of the North at their own pace.

Of course, this would lead to the question: where does this leave France?
Old 2011-12-22, 06:04   Link #18578
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Yahoo to weigh deals for Asian assets
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7BK23Q20111222
Quote:
Yahoo Inc is considering a plan to unload most of its prized Asian assets in a complex deal valued at roughly $17 billion, sources familiar with the matter said on Wednesday, winning nods of approval from Wall Street and driving its shares higher.
Old 2011-12-22, 06:13   Link #18579
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctis Lucis View Post
Riddle this for me then, during Chinese opening up to the rest of the world in the last few decades, beside big foreign corporations like Coca cola, etc., which type of foreigners are most likely to invest, and in fact have invested a lot in mainland China? Do you get a image of some white dude who has not much connection with an Asian culture, or some oversea Chinese who can easily get around with the locals?

We must had so much disdain for them that in the beginning we beg them to visit and invest.
Old 2011-12-22, 06:16   Link #18580
Noctis Lucis
It's how you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Riddle this for me then, during Chinese opening up to the rest of the world in the last few decades, beside big foreign corporations like Coca cola, etc., which type of foreigners are most likely to invest, and in fact have invested a lot in mainland China? Do you get a image of some white dude who has not much connection with an Asian culture, or some oversea Chinese who can easily get around with the locals?

We must had so much disdain for them that in the beginning we beg them to visit and invest.
Erm. The problem is that despite PRC's (at least during Mao and early Deng) general dislike of overseas Chinese, they were the easiest to attract. It's something to do with roots. So the dislike isn't mutual. Of course, since Jiang Zemin, things have changed 180 degrees.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international