Closed Thread

Old 2008-01-19, 12:01   Link #61
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

To get it to work

1. Download the demo and the patch
2. install the demo
3. Find out where you installed the demo
4. Go there and make a new folder called "English" (without the quotes)
5. Then copy the folder called "WAV" into "English"
6. Then put all the files that came with the patch into "English"
7. Click onscripter-en
8. Play the game
Old 2008-01-19, 12:07   Link #62
Sonozaki Futagotachi
Translation Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling01 View Post
To get it to work

1. Download the demo and the patch
2. install the demo
3. Find out where you installed the demo
4. Go there and make a new folder called "English" (without the quotes)
5. Then copy the folder called "WAV" into "English"
6. Then put all the files that came with the patch into "English"
7. Click onscripter-en
8. Play the game
Nice set of instructions, but you don't need to copy the WAV folder to "English"; the onscripter-en in our patch will search its current directory and parent directory for files. (Nice not having to duplicate all these big files, neh?)

Mion (Sonozaki Futago-tachi)
Old 2008-01-19, 12:28   Link #63
Sonozaki Futagotachi
Translation Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamiel View Post
Ok, I have downloaded the demo version, and the patch for days 1-3, but I have no idea what a subdirectory is or how to get the patch to work with the game. When I click on onscripter-en it pops up for like 2 seconds and then goes away. Can anybody help me? Please and thank you ^^
It'd be better if you got the patch for days 1-4, by the way... we've made a number of fixes since the Day 3 patch.

And... it looks like RapidShare is having problems . So I created a folder on Mediafire: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=4...46d82daef7d21b
You can download the Day 4 patch from there.

EDIT: RapidShare is back now, but I think I'll keep the Mediafire folder as insurance

Last edited by Sonozaki Futagotachi; 2008-01-19 at 21:12.
Old 2008-01-19, 20:00   Link #64
Sonozaki Futagotachi
Translation Group

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by June 1983 View Post
Okay, dumb question. If we've got day 1-3, are we supposed to save over the old patch files or create a new subdirectory? I saved over them but when I try to continue from my old save, the program loads the background scene and then closes immediately, so maybe I just installed it wrong.
Ok, I figured out why the program would close when you try to load a saved game. It's not that you've got the wrong patch, or that something's wrong with the program.

It seems that the save files store the "current position" within the script file, probably the current character.

Since we added some text in the earlier Days (1-3), that must've changed which part of the script a save file would point to. In your case, it's pointing to a spot that causes an incomplete command, so the program exits.

I guess save files aren't geared as much towards changing scripts, like ours. Man, I wish save files were defined more intelligently than that... but it looks like that means we need to avoid changing text in earlier days when possible. At the least, now we know what the problem is.

Sorry about that,
Old 2008-01-19, 20:12   Link #65
June 1983

Okay, thanks! It's not a big deal, I can play through it again.

Thank you for trying so hard to figure out these issues.
Old 2008-01-20, 03:03   Link #66
Dreamiel
Rena X Keiichi FOREVER!

Thank you guys so much! And the Sonozaki's are doing an excellent job, i'm so happy ^___^.
Old 2008-01-20, 08:34   Link #67
tobiast88
No patience for fools

If they really were Mion/Shion, they would give us the first five chapters and make us pay for the rest...

That said, they are doing a good job.
Old 2008-01-22, 01:54   Link #68
Sonozaki Futagotachi
Translation Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiast88 View Post
If they really were Mion/Shion, they would give us the first five chapters and make us pay for the rest...
Now that's a good idea

Just kidding. I get the feeling we'd get in trouble if we charged for it.
Though I wonder if, after we finish Onikakushi, we could contract to do a legit translation; what's involved in licensing, anyway?

Oh, and Day 5 is in beta test already. Don't expect Day 9 to be done so soon after this! It's much longer.
Old 2008-01-22, 09:56   Link #69
Mint Kashiro

This is so exciting! Thanks to you, I'm actually going to be buy the game and know what's going on.

Thanks Sonozaki-san~. The hard work is definitely appreciated.

- Kashiro Mint
Old 2008-01-22, 13:20   Link #70
GyroidFanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonozaki Futagotachi View Post
Now that's a good idea

Just kidding. I get the feeling we'd get in trouble if we charged for it.
Though I wonder if, after we finish Onikakushi, we could contract to do a legit translation; what's involved in licensing, anyway?
Money and lawyers. You're better off not asking to license it, and instead try to get his approval for the patch, as long as you encourage people to buy the game. This has worked before. And the fact that you're dealing with a doujin writer and his own work, instead of a corporation increases your chances several-fold.
Old 2008-01-22, 15:48   Link #71
June 1983

It would be awesome if you tried that. I'd be careful though and not let on that you've actually released a patch so far, just that you've been working on it and have something to show for it.
Old 2008-01-23, 15:19   Link #72
Mint Kashiro

I agree. If you can get in contact, make sure to show how you would provide patches (don't say you have been yet, but don't really say you haven't been either) and that they would certainly require the purchase of the game to use.

If it promotes people buying the product, doujin game artists seem to be okay with translation patches as it helps to further spread their work.
Old 2008-01-24, 23:13   Link #73
Sonozaki Futagotachi
Translation Group

Exclamation Fix for the saved-game problem on new patches

Hi folks,

I've figured out the problem of your saved games not loading when you get a new patch. It has to do with the savefile storing a particular line of the script to start from. Unfortunately, when you save on the first page of a new Day, the savepoint is not in that day, but in a little bit of "jump" code that's run just before the Day starts. This jump code is near the end of the file.

Needless to say, when we add the translation for a new Day to the script, the saved starting line no longer points within that jump code block, and you get... who knows what.

I've fixed it by adding code to the script to force storing the savepoint at the beginning of each Day. So now the saved games won't be broken. That's the good news!

The bad news is that it's fixed starting with the coming new patch, so your save games from Day 4 and earlier will definitely be broken with the Day 5 patch we're releasing in a few hours. Sorry about that.

But at least you won't be having that problem with any future patches!

Last edited by Sonozaki Futagotachi; 2008-01-25 at 12:17. Reason: clarity
Old 2008-01-25, 00:40   Link #74
Sonozaki Futagotachi
Translation Group

Cool Onikakushi Day 5 is ready!

Huzzah!

The Sonozaki Futago-tachi English patch for Higurashi no Naku Koro ni: Onikakushi (Days 1-5) is now ready! Check out our RapidShare folder at http://rapidshare.com/users/MQK6IW.

You may download the translation patch for the full version of the game (aka Himatsubushi-hen) at http://rapidshare.com/files/86415675...kushi_Day5.zip

Here's the translation patch for the demo version of Higurashi: http://rapidshare.com/files/86415676...kushi_Day5.zip

If you experience problems with downloading from RapidShare, you can try our folder on MediaFire.

To install a translation patch, simply unzip the contents into a subdirectory of the original Japanese game; double-click "onscripter-en.exe" to play.

You can download the demo game here. The download mirror sites are at the bottom of the page; follow the directions for which mirrors to use.

Someone put together a guide for buying Higurashi through one of the paid download sites; you can find it here. Let us know if you have trouble.

If you use Mac OS X, you can download a OS X version of onscripter-en from http://rapidshare.com/files/83920439...n-20080112.dmg. You should be able to drop the onscripter-en.app file from the dmg image into your translation patch subdirectory, and double-click to play.

-----

Anyway, Day 5 contains more new material that wasn't in the anime, so enjoy! We cleaned up some text in Day 4 as well, and of course there's that savegame fix I mentioned in my last post.

This release came pretty soon after Day 4, but don't go expecting to get the next release that quickly ! The next section (Day 9) is much longer than previous Days.

Please let us know what you think!
Also let me know if you have problems installing or running a patch.

Mion (Sonozaki Futagotachi)
Old 2008-01-25, 11:41   Link #75
June 1983

Oh good! I haven't had time to play so I haven't started day 4 yet. Now I don't have to start over again.

edit: Okay, ugh, sorry to have to keep reporting problems. I am able to open up my save now without it crashing. However, the place where I saved comes up in Japanese. I'm pretty sure that's during Day 4. I skipped through it and finally came to an English section, it's when Rika and Mion are telling Keichii about Rena's name (I'm not sure what day that is). So it seems like part of the translation is missing? Also, I cannot pull up the menu now (neither by right-clicking or by hitting escape). I also tried reviewing the text the minute I loaded it to see what was right before the save and couldn't, but that might just be a normal aspect of the game (not being able to review text prior to a save).

Last edited by June 1983; 2008-01-25 at 12:22.
Old 2008-01-25, 13:30   Link #76
Vonmalvarius

I'm also sorry to report problems. I have the same problem as day 4, my most recent save file crashed. An older one worked but then I had the same problem as June 1983.
Old 2008-01-25, 14:23   Link #77
Sonozaki Futagotachi
Translation Group

Question Day 4 Japanese text - demo version?

Hi Vonmalvarius, are you using the demo version or the full game version? I know that June 1983 is using the demo - maybe Mion pasted the day5 material onto a Day3 demo release instead of the Day4 release? I only have a copy of the full-game Day5 prerelease version (day4 is translated there), so I can't check the demo myself to confirm that. Mion will take a look when she gets back from work/classes. Hopefully that's the reason for the problem, and it's not something more...sinister

P.S. to June 1983 - that part about Rena's name is the TIPS for day 4. Did you have to click on a button to see it?

Shion (Sonozaki Futagotachi)

Last edited by Sonozaki Futagotachi; 2008-01-25 at 14:25. Reason: comment on Rena's name
Old 2008-01-25, 16:26   Link #78
Vonmalvarius

I use the demo and I overwrote the day 4 file with the day 5 one and I made sure to pick the demo patches.

edit: I started from the beginning and used fast-foward to get to day 5 and it worked perfectly. (I'm still unable to load my old save files, but the new ones are working fine).
Old 2008-01-25, 16:30   Link #79
Sonozaki Futagotachi
Translation Group

Unhappy

Okay, okay...

Unfortunately, as I mentioned before, the savegames from previous patches (Day 3, Day 4) are most likely going to be broken. You'll need to start from scratch and rewrite over existing savegaves to make sure you don't keep an old one. The "fix" is so that any future patches won't have this problem.

You can fast-forward through the prologue & earlier days by typing the 'S' key (for skip); this toggles a fast-forward mode. Holding down the CTRL key will do a super-fast-forward. You'll need to click the "continue" button in the TIPS menu after every Day and press 'S' again to restart skip mode.

Or, well... we did do some rewriting in the earlier Days, you might enjoy rereading them...

Sorry that this is the best I can offer at the moment.

EDIT: I removed the Day 3 & 4 downloads from sharing, just to make sure any new readers start with the fixed script. I'll remove the links from previous posts as well.

P.S. Wow, Shion lives! and posts!
And no, Shion, I did not paste over an old version of the demo - it's all up to date. June 1983 is probably seeing Japanese text because the savegame start point was essentially shifted back from the jump code block (near the end of the script) into one of the later TIPS.

Last edited by Sonozaki Futagotachi; 2008-01-25 at 16:55. Reason: Shion!
Old 2008-01-25, 16:44   Link #80
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Or you can do unlock scenario which unlocks chapter select and you can just pick day 5.