I prefer a movie that follows the storyline. 6 33.33%
I prefer a movie that takes place after the game ends. 3 16.67%
I want both! 9 50.00%
No more movies! 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-11-10, 12:10   Link #1
GoldfishLantec

Final Fantasy Movies

There are now 10+ Final Fantasy games and I'm pretty sure no one's played them all. Some of us don't have time or a way to play each one. So what do you think about making a movie for each one that follows the storyline (in CGI)? Or would you prefer an aftermath type movie like FF7: AC

Which game would you most like to see a movie made for? Personally I'd like one for FF8/9 since I never got around to playing them.

Also, out of curiosity, what made SquareEnix make a FF7 movie? and what would it take for them to make more?
GoldfishLantec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 12:47   Link #2
Elfia

There are around 12 Final Fantasy games (FF13 coming soon) and belive me there are people that have played every FF that are out. I know 1 of my friends have played every FF game without FF3 and 9

And for me i have only played FF3 and 10...

And becuse of that i havent played many Final Fantasy games i cant really tell what game i want a movie off.
Also i belive they made FF7 becuse of Cloud. (maby?) Well i dont really have any idea why, its just a guess.

Last edited by Elfia; 2008-11-10 at 13:16.
Elfia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 12:52   Link #3
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishLantec View Post
There are now 10+ Final Fantasy games and I'm pretty sure no one's played them all.
Do you seriously think that no one's played all of them? Heck, I'm sure there's even someone who's done every secret and gotten level 99 on every character in every single one of them.

I'm a huge fan of FFVII, it's probably my favorite game of all time, but the movie, Advent Children, was nothing to write home about. It was basically one long, extended battle with no story to speak of. Though I'm usually no fan of CGI either, the movie was appealing visually, but that's basically where my enjoyment of the movie stopped.

The problem with turning these games into movies is simply that the games are incredibly long. It's nearly impossible to do the games justice with a mere movie. (I haven't played the older installments in the series, so I can't really speak for them, though.)
Old 2008-11-10, 13:16   Link #4
GoldfishLantec

Hehe, ok, maybe there are some dedicated people that played all of them =P. For me, I kinda got spoiled by the graphics of FFX, the first one I played, and going back to the others just doesn't seem to give me as much enjoyment.

They could make each game a two part movie, picking some of the more important boss battles, but I guess it would be a huge amount of work.
Old 2008-11-10, 13:20   Link #5
Elfia

Quote:
They could make each game a two part movie, picking some of the more important boss battles, but I guess it would be a huge amount of work.
That would mean that they have to make a "new" story line for every movie. That would cost kind of much and it would also take along time to make them all.

Also many people dosent just want battels (like me) im more intrested about the story then the fight.
Elfia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 13:32   Link #6
Echoes

Quote:
Hehe, ok, maybe there are some dedicated people that played all of them =P. For me, I kinda got spoiled by the graphics of FFX, the first one I played, and going back to the others just doesn't seem to give me as much enjoyment.

The thing is, though, the boss battles won't convey really convey the story by themselves. I think that the existing stories are best conveyed as they exist now, as games. Two movies wouldn't really cover it either, it'd have to be a whole series, ala Kara no Kyoukai. As for meddling with the story, why bother, the "final fantasy" tag would just be a sales gimmick then.
Old 2008-11-10, 13:46   Link #7
GoldfishLantec

I meant since there are many boss battles in each game, some more important than others, to pick the important ones to go along with the story. For example, in FFX.. the Chocobo Eater? and that whole scene could be left out without affecting the story much, i think.. Oo

I guess a mini-series would be a better idea than a movie. I still wish they would do one or two of the more popular games... (wishful thinking on my part )
Old 2008-11-10, 16:57   Link #8
Shadow Kira01

Its better to have a movie that serves as either a prequel or sequel to a game rather than the movie version of a game, because it will ruin the idea of playing the game altogether, especially if it follows the storyline. However, this does not apply to movies that serves as an enhanced CG remake of a retro game, such as the very first Final Fantasy by Squaresoft!

It would be great if they make a FFXI movie, but then I don't think the idea itself is even possible, since FFXI is MMORPG. Does it even have a storyline?
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 17:11   Link #9
Xvoki

Making a full FF game into a movie would be Lord of the Rings epic XD. Which is why it will probably never happen, more likely to see a mini-series.

I have mixed feelings when it comes to spin-offs. While I liked Advent Children, I would have preferred a remake of the original game itself.
Xvoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-11, 19:42   Link #10
AceD
See You En' Tee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Do you seriously think that no one's played all of them? Heck, I'm sure there's even someone who's done every secret and gotten level 99 on every character in every single one of them
yea, am one of those sad people that has done this , downloaded emulators do clear 1 to 6 years ago

a Prequal movie to FF8 could be nice, as it would be more about Laguna, edea, cid and esthar etc
Old 2008-11-11, 20:58   Link #11
-Kh-
ポルカ

Why is there no options for OVAs or some more TV series (yea I know Unlimited sucked)?

I would prefer some 4 eps OVA than a single movie. That way it can go from prequel to after the game, and it doesn't have to touch the game timeline's story.

Quote:
There are now 10+ Final Fantasy games and I'm pretty sure no one's played them all.
What makes you think that nobody has played all the 12 mainline FF games? As if it were that hard lol

- I have played all 12 FFs, including 11 during 4 years until I finally could quit a few months ago.
- FF3 and 4 on DS
- FF 1+2, 4, 5, 6 on GBA.
- FF Tactics on PS1, Tactics Advance on GBA and TA2 on DS. (the FFT version of PSP too but that was at work, same as FF1)
- X-2 and Revenant Wings.
- 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 in PS1.
- Crystal Chronicles for GC (just single player tho) and for DS.
- FF Mystic Quest on SNES

On my list to play:

- Crisis Core for PSP, because I don't have one.
- Dissidia, which I'll get the PSP for, and the one above.
- FFCC My Life as a King, I'll get it eventually on WiiWare.
- FFIV: The After, hopefully it will get some sort of overseas release, DSWare would be really cool.
- Before Crisis FFVII, if it ever gets an overseas release on PSP or DS.

Won't play:

- Dirge of Cerberus

Watched the Legend of the Crystals, Unlimited, The Spirits Within, Advent Children and the Last Order.

Now I don't have the NES and SNES games anymore, only PS1/2, GBA and DS ones.

Last edited by -Kh-; 2008-11-11 at 21:18.
-Kh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-13, 00:20   Link #12
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

There is a FFXII movie. It's called Star Wars Episode 1: The Archadean Menace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato
It would be great if they make a FFXI movie, but then I don't think the idea itself is even possible, since FFXI is MMORPG. Does it even have a storyline?
Yes, it does. It's surprisingly good too, for an MMORPG, and very much up to FF standards. Although I'd prefer an offline FFXI rather than a FFXI movie.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-13, 19:40   Link #13
-Kh-
ポルカ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
Wow dude, I had missed such abhorrible before until the above poster quoted you.

Just because XI is a MMORPG doesn't mean there are storylines. What type of MMORPG do you think it is? Have you actually even read about it properly, or you just ignored it because it was a MMORPG or heard some people saying that it wasn't like WoW?

FFXI's expansions Chains of Promathia and Treasures of Aht Urhgan have some of the best storylines that SE have ever made. The Promathia story is the second best story in Final Fantasy games, just second to FFVI.

While the story for the original game the Rise of the Zillart expansion aren't as good and just about average withing the FF realm, Promathia and Aht Urhgan really exceeded expectations.

The latest expansion called Wings of the Goddess has been out only for about a year thus the story hasn't been completed and although it seemed interesting, I didn't think it was at the same level of the previous two expansions. There is still time to go so it might peak up towards the climax, but I won't get to experience it.

Anyway, FFXI is one of the best Final Fantasy games there is, whoever dismiss it just for being a MMORPG is just being absurd, there is so much more behind the grinding of the MMORPG, there are numerous great stories, the music of the original game has some great Uematsu scores and the expansions show the best of Naoshi Mizuta as a composer, the Job system is the best from any JRPG that uses jobs or classes, the items and stats system is the most complete on any FF and the crafting system is well done, but archaic since it has remained the same since release.

On the other end, the game isn't perfect, I know it has many flaws as well, like the static battle system, although it has really been improved over the years, the rare monsters old system has created many problems among players, along with external problems such as hackers creating bots and cheats and RMT, but that's just a general MMORPG.

So people could at least look into it, read what the game is about, before assuming stuff that is not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf
Although I'd prefer an offline FFXI rather than a FFXI movie.
I've talked about this before in some other discussions.

That would be a great idea, if in a few years time, whenever the game population starts to decline, and in the same vein of the current remakes, SE should make an offline game telling the story of Vana'diel. It would actually be a huge game, because besides the main storyline missions, in the game's quests you have so many more stories that add something about the life and history of Vana'diel.
-Kh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-14, 12:13   Link #14
Eggs in a Bottle
Ehh I love suits?

FF VII: Who am I? Geez my head...
FF VIII: My job sucks, my friends suck, my life sucks...
FF IX: Mmm soft... HAY you wanna see my tail?
Eggs in a Bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-14, 12:19   Link #15
othera

I have played quite a few FF games, and i would like to see a movies to follow through the storlyline, but also after stories etc... >.> Hard to chose so i picked both.
othera is offline   Reply With Quote