AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-12-05, 15:27   Link #1
Ecole

The same sensation as banging your head against a wall

I'm looking for some anime in the vein of KimiNozo and Welcome to NHK. Or well actually; I'm looking for anime that show of the worst sides of us. Depressing and dark. The problem here is that I'm pretty immune to series that are only dark since it kind of loses its meaning if there's no light at all, I.e you can't really comprehend exactly how fucked up things are if all you see is ruins. Welcome to NHK struck me as much, much, much darker than Texhnolyze or Serial Experiments:Lain for this reason.

Anyway, suggest me some pretty please.

Any type, just bring it on.

Thanks in advance.
Old 2007-12-05, 15:52   Link #2
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I think School Days is bound to induct a wish to bang your head against the wall while watching it. Optionally offers one of the most loathable male leads you can hope to find.

Elfen Lied is pretty good at showing the bad side of humans. Jealousy, hatred, vengeance, cruelty - all in one package.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni might fit your taste nicely as well. Mystery/horror, dealing with things like trust, friendship, paranoia, delusions and trying to break the seemingly inevitable fate. One of my top 5 animes.
Old 2007-12-05, 15:56   Link #3
sothis

I have four ideas for you.

Gedo Senki. First of all, no one seemed to like it except for me; but regardless, I found it to be a very moving look at a tormented and dark soul who ultimately must learn to, for a lack of a better term, "man up" to his life and responsibilities.

Infinite Rvyius. Easily one of the best character development anime I've seen. You watch a group of teens degrade from harmony to utter chaos, backstabbing, and darkness (however, there is a reverse climb back up!). This would fit your request perfectly, I believe.

Windaria. One of the best tragedies of all time, IMO. THere isn't a lot of "light" in this one... mostly depressing scenes and tragedy, but it DEFINITELY showcases the dark side of the human spirit and how one can almost innocently lose track of what is important - especially once you reach the end.

Now and THen, Here and There - also strongly showcases hte dark side of humanity.
Old 2007-12-05, 21:59   Link #4
gh0stmice
*Artist

Elfen Lied is pretty good at showing the bad side of humans. Jealousy, hatred, vengeance, cruelty - all in one package.

totally agree....its amazing ....
Old 2007-12-05, 22:06   Link #5
d.sinclair

Narutaru. This one gets really damn ugly - don't be fooled by the beginning.

A little disclaimer, i'd say a fair amount of people hate that show, so just be wary. definitely a polarizing show.
Old 2007-12-05, 22:15   Link #6
tbl
Affably Evil

It's manga, but I'd say Battle Royale shows one of the darkest sides of humanity - what people will do to each other to survive. Think Lord of the Flies with Kill Bill violence.
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

Old 2007-12-05, 22:28   Link #7
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Yeah, I second Battle Royale. The transition from ordinary high school mentality to "kill or be killed" is incredibly well-done. A LOT of the scenes are unbelievably brutal. The action starts immediately and there are those glimmers of optimism and friendship that just emphasizes the dark nature of the manga even more.

I also second Elfen Lied and School Days, although they are nowhere near the levels of Battle Royale. That manga wasn't animated for a reason, even though it was wildly popular. You just can't show that stuff on TV.
Old 2007-12-05, 23:18   Link #8
Paper Lilies

Send a message via AIM to Paper Lilies
Battle Royale, third-ed. (thriced?)

Though, if you really want screwed up, the novel or manga is the way to go.
Old 2007-12-06, 10:41   Link #9
psgels

Send a message via MSN to psgels
I'm surprised Jigoku Shoujo hasn't been mentioned. It gives quite a good contrast between the darker and lighter sides of humanity. If you also can include movies, then I'd recommend Tekkon Kinkreet. The two main characters are called "Light" and "Dark" for a reason.
Old 2007-12-07, 15:39   Link #10
eyysae
n00b -__-'

if you want to bang your head against a wall, definitely watch school days.

death note also fits this category in a way.

& along with tekkon kinkreet being a great movie because of the plot, the artwork is beautiful, but i don't know if you care about that.
Old 2007-12-07, 20:56   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

While Mononoke is putatively about slaying demons, it's actually a series of stories about human malevolence. The demons that appear are all the result of past mistreatment of humans by other humans.
Closed Thread