AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-08-30, 19:27   Link #241
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
VMWare is awesome. Server and ESXi are the only free versions. ESXi has some pretty strict hardware requirements though and it runs directly on the hardware so its not as useful to most casual users. VMWare server is pretty good. I use it at work for virtualizing a couple domain controllers, citrix servers, terminal servers, and an ACE server. The 2.0 RC has a really cool web management interface and supports Vista and Server 2008.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-31, 02:57   Link #242
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
VMware is freeware, or at least some of its versions.

BTW, I hated VMware when I tried it (didn't give it much use, though). Virtualbox, OTOH, seemed much more organized and tidy.
I tried to install Mandriva 2008.1 on VirtualBox 1.64 (free) and Virtual PC 2007 SP1 (free) and both installs failed as they both kept asking for some kind of driver/controller that had me walking in a never-ending loop. I gave up on those two, but that's because for me, it was not a winning formula - it didn't comply with my hardware config. and gave me trouble. For other people with newer PCs, it could be the next best thing since sliced bread.

I then tried VMware Workstation 6.04 (not free) and, much to my surprise and delight, it did the trick. I just had to figure out how to bridge my wireless card on the Ethernet to connect the guest OS to Internet, though - even though I only learned how to do that a few weeks ago, I'm still very impressed by its performance. The only thing I need is more RAM in order to host bigger and stingier chucks like Vista.

If you need something free, light and simple, choose either VirtualBox or Virtual PC.

If you can afford something way heavier, more resource-hungry (it adds new services and startup processes - so if you don't like that, please avoid this) but with more options and more hardware support, give WMware Workstation (WMware Player, although it's a freeware, cannot create virtual machines but can be used to test programs copy-pasted inside the guest OS) a hearty try. The problem is: you have to pay.

WMware freewares:
- WMware Player 2.05
- WMware Server 1.07

Last edited by Renegade334; 2008-08-31 at 03:27.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-06, 03:43   Link #243
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Any software to convert Wmv Avi Mpeg to RMVB / RM format ? A freeware would be appreciated .
Old 2008-09-13, 21:40   Link #244
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
MEncoder that included with MPlayer should do it with the libavcodec...

http://www.mplayerhq.hu

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...
Furuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-14, 08:10   Link #245
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Hello,

I'm looking for a software that can monitor the bandwidth and shows a timeline of when there was most down/upload.

Most net meeters/bandwidth monitor shows a total of the whole day. I would like to be able to see at what time of the day a lot of traffic is going. (so basically a graph of the whole day or something similair)

Most important. Software has to work on 2003 server. And hopefully also 2000

And if possible it should also be able to restrict traffic(http max half mb and LAN max 5mb or something like that). Though that is not a must. At least not yet.

I tried Netlimiter. And for some strange reason the software isn't working on 2000. And unfortunately that is the test machine >.< While the actual machine that needs the tool is server 2003.

Thanks in advance.

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Sephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-14, 22:04   Link #246
cyberbeing

If you just want bandwidth graphs, you could use something like MRTG, Cacti, or Cricket.

Netlimiter should work for both Server 2000 and 2003. I don't know another software bandwidth limiter solution off the top of my head, maybe someone else will have an idea.

Other then that there is always the hardware solution of a nice managed or layer 3 switch which should be able to do bandwidth limiting. The Cisco ASA 5505 seems like it is able to as well with QoS and is a somewhat affordable option but requires Cisco knowledge for proper configuration.
Old 2008-09-15, 06:19   Link #247
yman

Now i'm using the new version of Limewire, where users can now use web proxies to route their downloads to protect their identity. I it works really well for me.
yman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-15, 06:37   Link #248
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Limewire, umm... heard it's like a trojan infested network.
Old 2008-09-16, 06:10   Link #249
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Simple question. I need/want voice recognition software. I want to be able to do my work (real work) at my desktop and then simultaneously be able to narrate an essay (uni work) at the same time. Or at least connect the bluetooth hands free mic and narrate essays when cleaning the house
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-16, 14:38   Link #250
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
If you just want bandwidth graphs, you could use something like MRTG, Cacti, or Cricket.

Netlimiter should work for both Server 2000 and 2003. I don't know another software bandwidth limiter solution off the top of my head, maybe someone else will have an idea.

Other then that there is always the hardware solution of a nice managed or layer 3 switch which should be able to do bandwidth limiting. The Cisco ASA 5505 seems like it is able to as well with QoS and is a somewhat affordable option but requires Cisco knowledge for proper configuration.
Thanks. I will try Cacti. It seems like just what i need.

Even though the site says it supports from 2000 and up... For some reason netlimiter doesn't work on the win 2k pc's on my work. Which was the testing machine. I tried in on two win 2k pc.

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Sephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-20, 20:49   Link #251
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
Simple question. I need/want voice recognition software. I want to be able to do my work (real work) at my desktop and then simultaneously be able to narrate an essay (uni work) at the same time. Or at least connect the bluetooth hands free mic and narrate essays when cleaning the house
Dragon Naturally Speaking is generally regarded as the best voice recognition software around. My family has a copy, but I haven't installed it. One of its more interesting features is that it can also interpret sound files (MP3, etc.) and convert them to text. That could theoretically be very useful if, for example, you are not at your computer but you have a voice recorder (ideally digital - they're very portable these days). Simply record your stuff, and then when you're back at your computer, dump the sound file into the program and it'd convert it for you. That's a bit more versatile than being limited to performing real-time dictations.

I don't know if the program can do text-to-voice, though. A quick read of the review over at CNet doesn't seem to indicate that it's a feature. OS X has a built-in text to speech option; if you need one on Windows, I played around with "Readplease 2000" on Windows XP a few years ago. That solution may not be as ideal as what you were initially looking for.

Dragon Naturally Speaking has support for Bluetooth headsets, although that wouldn't really be necessary. As long as you could set up your headset and have it recognized as a microphone/headset device by your system you'd be fine. Having the program geared to work with Bluetooth devices probably removes some configuration woes, though.

One other consideration about dictation programs: make sure that what ever you go with doesn't require you to "speak like a robot." I've heard that some people who use those programs heavily find that their speech patterns become affected even when they're just in normal conversation. If you're not planning on using it too heavily then it's probably not a concern, but otherwise you'll want to go with a program that's advanced enough to let you speak more or less naturally. Supposedly, Dragon allows you to do that.
Old 2008-09-20, 21:04   Link #252
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

I'm testing it out now, It has issues with my thick Australian accent. But it's passable. I just need to get my thoughts down and then edit later.

Also I have to say DIXML+BartPE is a legendary piece of software. My laptop HDD died and it was a simple process to restore the image on a new HDD. 60gb took about 1.5 hrs to compress and another couple of hours to rebuild via external USB. HAd I had esata available this would've of flown
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-21, 10:53   Link #253
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephi View Post
Thanks. I will try Cacti. It seems like just what i need.

Even though the site says it supports from 2000 and up... For some reason netlimiter doesn't work on the win 2k pc's on my work. Which was the testing machine. I tried in on two win 2k pc.
You may also want to look at http://www.ntop.org/overview.html

If you're just looking to get bandwidth stats from a single machine this is a whole lot easier to set up.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-21, 19:23   Link #254
heavensgatekeeper7

Was wondering if anyone knows if there are any decent free CADD programs out there or not. any help will be greatly appreciated........

still wondering if anyone knows if there is a free cadd program or not.. any answer is welcome i would like to know whether there is or not...... thanks in advance again for any help or anwsers

Last edited by heavensgatekeeper7; 2008-09-23 at 18:15.
heavensgatekeeper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 13:29   Link #255
Danj
Tech Bloke

Send a message via ICQ to Danj Send a message via AIM to Danj Send a message via MSN to Danj Send a message via Yahoo to Danj
Anybody know if there are any alternatives to Nero Recode other than DVDShrink? I have a bunch of non-encrypted DVDs stored on one of my hard drives and most of them are DVD-9 in size, but now that I switched to Vista my Nero Recode is saying that its DVD plugin is going to expire, so I need to either actually buy the latest version of Nero or find some suitable alternative software. I've tried DVDShrink in the past and didn't really like it, also it seemed to be intended for disc-based sources rather than sources that were already on a hard drive.
Old 2008-10-03, 15:14   Link #256
Animeruko
BECAUSE its moe moe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danj View Post
Anybody know if there are any alternatives to Nero Recode other than DVDShrink? I have a bunch of non-encrypted DVDs stored on one of my hard drives and most of them are DVD-9 in size, but now that I switched to Vista my Nero Recode is saying that its DVD plugin is going to expire, so I need to either actually buy the latest version of Nero or find some suitable alternative software. I've tried DVDShrink in the past and didn't really like it, also it seemed to be intended for disc-based sources rather than sources that were already on a hard drive.
Im not sure i know what your asking for but you might be able to use imgburn?
Animeruko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-13, 00:57   Link #257
Artemis3
Yui~Nyan♡

Quote:
Originally Posted by yman View Post
Now i'm using the new version of Limewire, where users can now use web proxies to route their downloads to protect their identity. I it works really well for me.
You do not need to use Limewire when there is Frostwire. Does the same (and more), without the limits.
Artemis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-13, 05:41   Link #258
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Why not just buy the songs on itunes for 99 cents if you really loved the artist/band you would but there music >/<
Old 2008-10-13, 13:21   Link #259
Artemis3
Yui~Nyan♡

What songs? p2p is not just for songs, and songs don't always come from signed artists. There are plenty of indie bands, and things you simply can't buy anywhere.

I personally don't bother with gnutella when there are better alternatives ^_^
Artemis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 11:39   Link #260
amjzz

Um.....im looking a program that will....reset my ip. If i want to change my ip i need to turn off and then turn on my router....that takes time and its annoying so im looking for a program that could do that without having to physically turn off my router.
amjzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
software