AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Horizon

Notices

Old 2011-10-11, 17:58   Link #701
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Conventionally people wants to know what's going on in the world then zoom in to the characters, but in this case I'm not going to bother with the world setting yet- I'm going to start with the individual characters then slowly zoom out into the greater world setting. As far as I'm concern, this is an extreme Fantasy/Sci-Fi story where people live on ships because the world is uninhabitable in most places and humans aren't the only sentient beings - full stop.

As for politics, we'll cross that bridge when we get there.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 18:01   Link #702
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
Sadly they're not doing a very good job of explaining what exactly is going on in this world. The whole classroom scene went way over my head with the terminologies and incomplete explanations.
i thought they did a very good job of it form the prologue in Ep1 and then the history class in ep2.

Incomplete explanations means there is more to the story, which means more explanations later on.
Old 2011-10-11, 18:02   Link #703
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
where people live on ships because the world is uninhabitable in most places
This isn't really correct. As far as we know, Musashi is the only ship that doubles as a city. All the other countries have their own respective lands in the Far East.
Old 2011-10-11, 18:05   Link #704
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Some kind of eroge-addiction and because he's a hentai as I understand it.

Aside from groping and telling everyone else what to do, it would seem he has no power whatsoever.

Nobody but the people already in the-know does. Just read this info-thing http://kyoukaisen.tumblr.com/ and this very informative post http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=598 by stuopidget.

Just fair warning, when you understand it, you'll actually understand it even less then you do now. .
Ah ah tahnks for the link, it's a little cleraly now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
All of this was explained in detail in episode 2 and briefly in episode 1. Pay extra attention to the dialogue.
I pay attention to the dialogue but english is not my native language and I don't have much time with me for anime. I have a real life too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
Sadly they're not doing a very good job of explaining what exactly is going on in this world. The whole classroom scene went way over my head with the terminologies and incomplete explanations.
Glad I'm not the only one who think that

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
In the far future, humans abandon a devastated Earth and traveled to outer space. However, due to unknown phenomenon that prevents them from traveling into space, humanity returns to Earth only to find it inhospitable except for Japan.

To accomodate the entire human population, pocket dimensions are created around Japan to house in the populace. In order to find a way to return to outer space, the humans began reenacting human history according to the Holy book Testament. But in the year 1413 of the Testament Era, the nations of the pocket dimensions invade and conquer Japan, dividing the territory into feudal fiefdoms and forcing the original inhabitants of Japan to leave.

It is now the year 1648 of the Testament Era, the refugees of Japan now live in the city ship Musashi, where it constantly travels around Japan while being watched by the Testament Union, the authority that runs the re-enactment of history. However, rumors of an apocalypse and war begins to spread when the Testament stops revealing what happens next after 1648. Taking advantage of this situation, Tori Aoi, head of Musashi Ariadust Academy's Supreme Federation and President of the student council, leads his fellow classmates to use this opportunity to regain their homeland.

Taken from Wikipedia. And, no, I have no idea how re-enacting history is supposed to solve anything, but in the context of this fictional universe, the inhabitants believe it, so I'll just accept that it's a fundamental law of how their world works. Also, there's an interview somewhere where they say the story doesn't really start until episode 4. So enjoy the fanservice for now I guess.
Thaaaanks ! It's more cleraly now !

Quote:
I think they're doing a fine job, they're telling you the information straightforward. The explanations aren't incomplete, they just tell the details as they fit in the context of the conversation they're having. As for the terminologies, they explained them in the class explanation as well (if you're talking about the references to the Divine and Harmonic states). Rather than the anime not doing a good job of explaining, I just think people zone-out in the middle of the infodumps and cease attempting to pay attention to what's being said.
Again, we have a real life too and some of us don't have the time to watch the same episode again and again. And if some people don't undertand what's going on, it's mean it's not as good as you think.

So from what I udenrtand, it's the sudent who have the power in this world because they can re-enact the Testament ? So it makes Torri Aoi really powerful no ?
Kusa-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 18:09   Link #705
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Taken from Wikipedia. And, no, I have no idea how re-enacting history is supposed to solve anything, but in the context of this fictional universe, the inhabitants believe it, so I'll just accept that it's a fundamental law of how their world works. Also, there's an interview somewhere where they say the story doesn't really start until episode 4. So enjoy the fanservice for now I guess.
The re-enactment is like retracing their footsteps to try to figure out how they achieve space travel again.

And to mirror what Kusa said, that's a good summary

Quote:
This isn't really correct. As far as we know, Musashi is the only ship that doubles as a city. All the other countries have their own respective lands in the Far East.
Mah~ mah~ Don't sweat on the details
Old 2011-10-11, 18:13   Link #706
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
Again, we have a real life too and some of us don't have the time to watch the same episode again and again. And if some people don't undertand what's going on, it's mean it's not as good as you think.
It doesn't take hours of processing. Everything that creb pasted off of wikipedia was explained in this episode in more or less the same fassion, except it wasn't a single text wall. The history lesson in this episode also provided more specific details and the exact terminology. Maybe I just take in information well, but it doesn't seem too difficult to me to simply read what's being said.

Quote:
So from what I udenrtand, it's the sudent who have the power in this world because they can re-enact the Testament ? So it makes Torri Aoi really powerful no ?
No, Toori is not powerful. He was chosen to be president and chancellor because he is viewed as a buffoon who is incompetent and easily manipulated. As explained in episode 1.
Old 2011-10-11, 18:22   Link #707
Allen
メインヒロイン

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
Also I saw the info dump (his research and planning for this series) image from Kawakami (dude needs to learn how to use a computer for research).

In fact, this is just "half" of the setting about Horizon. The other "half" is in his computer

There are some people saying that they still don't understand about the setting but as a LN reader I can say that you don't have to worry about this. There are some details that I'm only understanding now (some of them were really important btw) and even without that I could get the most important and have (a lot of) fun.
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 18:26   Link #708
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Please tell me that Aoi Toori is good at something ?
Kusa-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 18:30   Link #709
Kunagisa

Quote:
Tag-teaming with his sister at taking advantage of people.

His fart He looks pretty badass in the OP, so maybe that counts for something (as usual head to light novel for future spoilers).
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 18:32   Link #710
serpiente

It seems to be a power in law in this world, the Testament Union, who purposely picked up Toori as the Student Council President for his lack of power and general clumsyness. They have the autoriy to do so, and it seems to be convenient for them (Testament Union) to have a looser in charge of the students at Musashi, for political reasons. That was explained at the beginning of training session in episode 01 by Oriotorai sensei, but I wont blame anyone who was more interested in her rear than in her explanations
serpiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 18:36   Link #711
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
my guess

Aoi Toori is a hidden depth character type. They look lazy, laid back and absolutely useless but they are actually the smartest and most powerful character in the room.

And if you doubt how smart he is. The other guys in the class only talks about boobs, Toori actually did it.
Old 2011-10-11, 18:37   Link #712
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
my guess

Aoi Toori is a hidden depth character type. They look lazy, laid back and absolutely useless but they are actually the smartest and most powerful character in the room.

And if you doubt how smart he is. The other guys in the class only talks about boobs, Toori actually did it.
Don't forget that he's had his body thrown through buildings and embedded into walls from force of impact without so much as a bruise or misplaced glittery line on his outfit breaking. Aoi is obviously hiding some haxxor skills.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 19:28   Link #713
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

because lot of ppl already watched eps 2, I think now is the appropriate time to bring this topic up

Spoiler:

ok so here is our naked MC

I realized that there is a scar (big one) in Toori's left shoulder (kinda reminds me of Edward Elric's Scar in the near end of FMA: B)

Quote:
I pay attention to the dialogue but english is not my native language and I don't have much time with me for anime. I have a real life too.
we are not supposed to talk about sub so I'm not supposed to say that you better wait for better sub
Old 2011-10-11, 19:41   Link #714
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

What I Watched: Horizon

What I Expected: Scifi punk period series + boobs

What I Found: Digimon, Ninjastorm, mecha, Scifi punk period series + BOOBS, and Nanoha StrikerS with IMPROVED PACING.

Except now I hear it only starts after episode 4... Oh well, better than after episode 6, then relapsing into mundanity.
Old 2011-10-11, 19:41   Link #715
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Eps 2...
And i still confused with the charaters and the setting...
Cant remember when the last time i've been introduced in this many characters and faction in anime...

Hopefully it can be clearer with the ongoing episodes...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 19:44   Link #716
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Well, he's a very hands-on kinda guy I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
Except now I hear it only starts after episode 4... Oh well, better than after episode 6, then relapsing into mundanity.
Is that what you were basing off when you said improved StrikerS pacing
Old 2011-10-11, 20:15   Link #717
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
my guess

So like Captain Goto from Mobile Police Patlabor a bit?

It occurs to me that nobody is likely to know who I'm talking about there, but whatever
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 20:19   Link #718
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post

It occurs to me that nobody is likely to know who I'm talking about there, but whatever
Goto's superiors knows about his ability but they just don't like him.

Detective Matsui explain that to a younger colleague during one of the oav.
Old 2011-10-11, 20:23   Link #719
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:

Some of us are older farts than you. 27. Pfffffftb.

And, I doubt Aoi is another Goto. I see it like this. Aoi has extreme self-confidence and immense charisma. Which are great traits to have when leading. Even if he is dumb as a doorknob and athletically ungifted, when he finally puts those eroges away and gets serious about taking back their homeland, those two character traits of his will be incredibly useful in getting all those students to believe in him and give their 110 percent!
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 20:24   Link #720
killer3000ad

Quote:

Razor Sharp Goto wasn't a breast groper.

Tags
action, fantasy, science fiction, sunrise