AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2014-01-15, 21:07   Link #1
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I want to watch MKV files on my Playstation 3 (need help)

I want to watch MKV files on my PS3 and I found out I can stream video from my PC to my PS3. Here is a vid on it.

So you need a Divx Codec pack in order to do this.

I have some questions. First, I have the CCCP. Would I need to uninstall that before installing the Divx Codec pack? Also, I can use the software Media Player Classic to do all this, right? This is not to be confused with Windows Media Player.

Once I get it all running, can I pause, rewind, and fast forward with a PS3 controller, or do I have to control the video with the mouse and keyboard? That'd be a total deal breaker for me if I couldn't use the PS3 controller.

Also, will that Divx Codec pack play MPEG 4 files on the PS3 via streaming?

I'm going to watch fansubs. The subtitles should work with no problems since it is streaming and there is no converting going on, right?

Lastly, I use the uPnP features of the PS3 in order to view and select the fansubs from my PC, correct?

Thanks to any who help.
Old 2014-01-16, 10:47   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I don't know about that solution, but the most common method is to install ps3mediaserver on a PC and have that convert the MKV files on-the-fly into formats the PS3 will play. The PS3 can then use DLNA to talk to the PC.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-18, 20:16   Link #3
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Thank you. I tried it out and it was pretty simple to get my fansubs playing through my PS3. Unfortunately, the video quality is sub-par, but bearable. Thankfully, much of what I want to watch via my PS3 isn't in HD, but rather is 480p, so the video quality takes only a small hit. The video quality isn't too bad. It just doesn't seem like it is as good as DVD quality.
Old 2015-11-19, 04:22   Link #4
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Thank you. I tried it out and it was pretty simple to get my fansubs playing through my PS3. Unfortunately, the video quality is sub-par, but bearable. Thankfully, much of what I want to watch via my PS3 isn't in HD, but rather is 480p, so the video quality takes only a small hit. The video quality isn't too bad. It just doesn't seem like it is as good as DVD quality.
Well actually, if you are transcoding 480p to HD resolution, it will be of course be shit even if you have the best transcoding software. The fact is, you are transcoding it, not just upscaling. So you get double loss in quality.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-19, 11:36   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Is there some reason you revived a thread almost two years old?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-19, 20:34   Link #6
larethian

Weird. I'm pretty sure I saw this thread appearing in my "Today's Posts" query/search, so I never looked at the date. The only forum jumps I make once in a while are "Current Series", "Upcoming Series", and "Light Novels". Otherwise, I always use "Today's Posts" link. Not to mention that this thread was not even on the first page of "Tech" based on the date. Maybe there's a bug somewhere, which could explain the occasional thread necro??
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-20, 10:38   Link #7
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Is there some reason you revived a thread almost two years old?
It was a spammer that has since been deleted that revived this thread.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote