AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2008-07-10, 16:26   Link #121
escimo
Paparazzi

Just popped in to inform that most of the images are down. My damn hosting service died on me and providers customer service can't be bothered to answer e-mails. (well at least they're really cheap...) To make matters a bit worse I didn't have an exact backup of the folder where the images were stored. Anyway. The opening post and tutorials are up and running again. Hopefully the rest of the stuff will come back on-line soon. If it's not back up by tomorrow evening (say about 10pm UTC+3) I'll go through the whole thread and edit my posts. I'm so hoping I don't have to do that. In the future I'll use the new host which is hopefully going to be a bit more reliable.

Edit: Went through the thread and fixed the links. Damn I hope I'll never have to do that again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
You have some pretty neat flowers there! I like them overall, but according to the image properties you were shooting at f1.8 for all of them? I'd say it created a nice effect for most of them, but for some I might have used a higher f-number. For the last three that you have it created a pretty nice effect with the flowers themselves, but the background 'bokeh' is too soft, for my taste. It's pleasing, but the 'bokeh' I've come to like best occurs when you see tens or hundreds of dots of light, and the blurred colors are a bit more distinct. In those shots the background all mixes together. It's a bit more ethereal than the 'bokeh' I try to get, and definitely not better or worse - it's all subjective. Just some notes from my end

Of course, I'm also envious that you can get down to f1.8. HR-4 is my absolute favorite, and in that shot the shallow depth of field really played out very nicely. Let's see if I can +rep you now that it's been a few days... (edit: nope, still no good )
True, the depth of field is too shallow in most of them and those were the best ones. Actually they're more color experiments than bokeh anyway. 300d's color reproduction is somewhat far from perfect so quite a bit of post processing is always needed. Well, I'll probably be replacing it anyway in September or October.

Last edited by escimo; 2008-07-10 at 17:19.
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-12, 12:02   Link #122
escimo
Paparazzi

Couple of plane spotting photos.

Old 2008-07-12, 15:32   Link #123
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Sucks that you had to go through and redo the links.

I thought that the colors of the other images were quite nice. You're pretty good with post processing. My newer batches of pictures are being taken in RAW+JPEG mode, so I'll start trying it out as well.

The airplane shots are great! I'm not a huge fan of planes or anything, but you did a superb job of capturing the colors along with the details of the sky. I'd imagine that the exposure was somewhat difficult (or maybe you went at a good time of day?) but these are fantastic. Nice work!
Old 2008-07-13, 09:56   Link #124
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Sucks that you had to go through and redo the links.

I thought that the colors of the other images were quite nice. You're pretty good with post processing. My newer batches of pictures are being taken in RAW+JPEG mode, so I'll start trying it out as well.

The airplane shots are great! I'm not a huge fan of planes or anything, but you did a superb job of capturing the colors along with the details of the sky. I'd imagine that the exposure was somewhat difficult (or maybe you went at a good time of day?) but these are fantastic. Nice work!
I like all things fast and noisy. (if not it'd pose a problem with my better half.)

Exposure wasn't such an issue but post-processing was a bit of a challenge. The direction of the light was good for taking those photos, but the saturation turned out to be really bland, so I had to increase it quite drastically.

On a side note, tried animation again. With quite noobish results though...
Behold the muzzle flash!.

Making it AS safe killed the quality.

Here it is in all its glory.
Old 2008-07-13, 12:53   Link #125
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by escimo View Post
On a side note, tried animation again. With quite noobish results though...
Behold the muzzle flash!.

Making it AS safe killed the quality.

Here it is in all its glory.
Hmmm, for some reason, I get the feeling that KiNA will actually like this sig lots.

I also like it too, btw.
Old 2008-07-13, 13:21   Link #126
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Hmmm, for some reason, I get the feeling that KiNA will actually like this sig lots.

I also like it too, btw.
Thanks.
Smoke calls for redo though. I think I'll try KiNA's smoke tutorial later. Not sure about bg either.

edit: smoke redo.

AS-safe

Last edited by escimo; 2008-07-13 at 14:30.
Old 2008-07-13, 17:28   Link #127
Hakuryu
Klutz

Quote:
Thanks.
Smoke calls for redo though. I think I'll try KiNA's smoke tutorial later. Not sure about bg either.

edit: smoke redo.

AS-safe
Wow, great job with the animation on this. ^^
My only nit-pick is that the smoke seems to linger a bit too long. After the shot try having the smoke slowly disappearing. That's just a suggestion of mine. xD

I do love your works, and thanks again for the "Old Photo" tutorial.
Old 2008-07-14, 10:21   Link #128
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakuryu View Post
Wow, great job with the animation on this. ^^
My only nit-pick is that the smoke seems to linger a bit too long. After the shot try having the smoke slowly disappearing. That's just a suggestion of mine. xD

I do love your works, and thanks again for the "Old Photo" tutorial.
I this better?
I decided to screw the filesize limit though... Way too many actual frames.

I'll be away till Friday. There's probably more photos to come then.
Old 2008-07-14, 14:20   Link #129
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

Quote:
I this better?
I decided to screw the filesize limit though... Way too many actual frames.

I'll be away till Friday. There's probably more photos to come then.
That Really Awesome Sig....I Like The animation..
Good Work on it escimo-San ^_^
Old 2008-07-19, 11:38   Link #130
escimo
Paparazzi

I'm back!
Couple of photos from my summer cottage near Mikkeli in Finnish lake district.
Wasn't too productive photography-wise on my trip but managed to get a few shots of couple of swans and wild ducks one evening. Quality isn't all that great had to underexpose them quite a bit because of the tricky lighting conditions, but here they are anyway.

Old 2008-07-19, 12:46   Link #131
Eps~
Busy busy busy
*Graphic Designer

Was wondering where were you Nice pics as always.
Old 2008-07-19, 13:20   Link #132
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Despite the difficult lighting conditions, I think they came out quite nicely. HR-2 especially caught my eye.
Old 2008-07-19, 15:36   Link #133
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eps~ View Post
Was wondering where were you Nice pics as always.
I did sneak around here every now and then but it's such a pain with a mobile phone and GPRS-connection. Our summer cottage doesn't have electricity or running water so you can just guess how's the broadband like.

Quote:
Despite the difficult lighting conditions, I think they came out quite nicely. HR-2 especially caught my eye.
As I may have noted sometime before I use Lightroom for most of my post-processing and I do have to say I'm quite surprised how good it is to recover just horrible originals. Of course raw gives you some leeway, JPEGs shot with the settings I used would have been totally unrecoverable.

I'm not going to let you guys off the hook without a batch of a bit more atry farty stuff so here they are, straight out of the oven.

Old 2008-07-19, 20:01   Link #134
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Do you recommend Lightroom over Photoshop? I've been hearing all sorts of good things about Lightroom and Aperture, and I've been thinking that maybe I should look into them. I think Aperture generally gets better reviews than Lightroom, but of course it's Mac-only. Even though I'm using a Mac now, I hate the idea of locking myself to software that's only on one system.
Old 2008-07-20, 04:37   Link #135
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Do you recommend Lightroom over Photoshop? I've been hearing all sorts of good things about Lightroom and Aperture, and I've been thinking that maybe I should look into them. I think Aperture generally gets better reviews than Lightroom, but of course it's Mac-only. Even though I'm using a Mac now, I hate the idea of locking myself to software that's only on one system.
Yes and no. Lightroom and Aperture are processing tools and provide very limited manipulation tools but both of them have two huge advantages over Photoshop. First they save disk space because all changes are saved as a script and no actual changes are made to the original. This of course allows you to revert all the changes you made if necessary. Saving photos in both raw and some uncompressed format to gain the same ability eats quite a bit of space. Second the interpolation, antialising and noise reduction are made when the photo is exported, not when it's imported, which increases the quality a bit.

Still Photoshop is very much necessary if you want to do some actual manipulation to the photo. For my purposes Lightroom is usually enough.

Last edited by escimo; 2008-07-20 at 10:13.
Old 2008-07-21, 20:12   Link #136
escimo
Paparazzi

A few new siggies. Satisfying my borderline scary Aria obsession in form of two sigs.

And tried something a bit different...

Old 2008-07-21, 20:14   Link #137
Eps~
Busy busy busy
*Graphic Designer

You and I have a nice timing when we decide to bump our threads

I like that 'different' sig, although i would probably remove the effect from the face and dodge it a bit. But it looks great.

And also, nice text effect on the first Aria sig!
Old 2008-07-21, 20:24   Link #138
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eps~ View Post
You and I have a nice timing when we decide to bump our threads

I like that 'different' sig, although i would probably remove the effect from the face and dodge it a bit. But it looks great.

And also, nice text effect on the first Aria sig!
Indeed.

I tweaked it a bit. Better?
Old 2008-07-21, 20:25   Link #139
Eps~
Busy busy busy
*Graphic Designer

Much better!

Can't cookie you yet
Old 2008-07-21, 20:30   Link #140
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
I am not too fond of the Aria anime, but I certainly like to see the Aria girls in sigs!