AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad - Extra Episode (Tomoyo Chapter) Rating
Perfect 10 161 54.03%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 83 27.85%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 27 9.06%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 4.36%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 1.68%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 1.01%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.34%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.34%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 1.34%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-15, 11:22   Link #1
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Clannad - Extra Episode (Tomoyo Chapter) Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Clannad, Extra Episode : Tomoyo Chapter.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
Spoiler Policy
  • Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers will result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Q: Extra episode...? What is this about? Shouldn't it be Episode 24 ? Why Tomoyo though?
A: As explained in this thread, CLANNAD main story has ended with Episode 22 (for the first half of course, since a second season will be broadcasted in the future).
Episode 24 does not follow the same "universe": instead of Nagisa, Tomoya is going out with Tomoyo, according her route in the original game. This episode serves only as a omake for fans, showing how it would be if Tomoya is dating Tomoyo, it doesn't have anything to do with the upcoming second season.
Old 2008-07-15, 11:36   Link #2
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

It followed Tomoyo's Route very well, even including her end song.

Now where's my Tomoyo After anime?
Old 2008-07-15, 11:43   Link #3
Ottocycle

That was pretty good. The timeskips were handled especially well I think, I felt no abruptness from them all. And great Sunohara comedy as usual.

Spot the Ryou cameo.
Old 2008-07-15, 11:46   Link #4
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

... I was a little skeptical, but admittedly, I thought it was pretty well done. There were scenes I hoped the anime would've shown, and frankly, the opening narration jumping straight there was pretty awkward. The TV OP was unnecessary in my opinion.

However, regardless of game perspective or without it, it was a great adaption and a great episode. Could've used more grit and tears in some scenes, but the 'distance' was without a doubt wonderfully portrayed. In fact, I'd say the 1st half did a better job than the 2nd on that, despite the stronger overtones in the 2nd half.

Props to Yuuichi Nakamura's performance at the 22 minutes mark as well.

and lol at the railways symbolism. Admittedly, it did a great job at the ending especially, but I can't help but felt the scene where it opened look a little retarded... a little bit.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2008-07-15, 11:50   Link #5
Tormenk

Didn't know there was a extra chapter like this planned but makes for a pleasant surprise for sure.

Haven't seen the actual ep yet but more Tomoyo is always good.

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Old 2008-07-15, 11:50   Link #6
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Just watched it. It's a little bit different from the game's story as they wrote out some of the more illogical plot points, which is not a bad thing. Would've like them to spend a little bit of time explaining how Tomoya and Tomoyo got together and them detailing the happy times they spend together to reaffirm the chemistry between them. It's not bad but feel abit compressed (can't expect much for just one episode).

The really good thing I noticed though was the amount of facial expressions - they spent a lot of time doing the faces, all the emotional key scenes had very expressive animated faces than usual and it adds a lot more impact to the dialogue.

Overall it reaffirms why I like Tomoyo's arc next to Nagaisa's arc though - they both bring about massive change in Tomoya's character and his outlook on life. I believe the most sincere and strongest type of love is when you change for the person you love.
Old 2008-07-15, 11:57   Link #7
Utau
Butler mitai~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Utau
About to watch it in a while, and I must say I'm really expecting something really satisfying in this Tomoyo Chapter. Darn papers is standing in my way

Tomoyo where?!

Spoiler for It's a wonderful life:
Old 2008-07-15, 12:11   Link #8
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anzu View Post
Spoiler for It's a wonderful life:
Spoiler:
Old 2008-07-15, 13:05   Link #9
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Very well done but I agree it should have been a bit longer to show their relationship a bit better. Can't wait for after story. Though somehow I think this episode set it up for a Tomoyo After series or OVA lol
Old 2008-07-15, 13:59   Link #10
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku View Post
Very well done but I agree it should have been a bit longer to show their relationship a bit better.
^

Maybe some of you think that this episode was well made,since many wanted to see the story of Tomoyo and Tomoya as a couple.Those who never played the game,may think that everything in this episode is perfect and satisfying.But to me,its not...

Just like CLANNAD the movie,things between Tomoyo and Tomoya went too fast imo,The episode start with Tomoyo and Tomoya sitting together inside an empty classroom,waiting for the school's student council election announcement.How they both became a couple,it was never told in the episode.So its like this episode only covers 50% of the essential part of the Tomoyo arc,while the other 50% weren't included it on this episode OR they just covered it somewhere between episode 1-20,but no one would actually notice it,seeing the settings for the tv series and special chapter are completely different.

That's what i mean by things went too fast in the special chapter.Did Key expect us to just accept that Tomoyo and Tomoya already became a couple inside this episode without telling us how they both can ended up becoming a couple?There are so many sweet things that happened before they both become a couple,and none of it were covered in the tv series.Only those that played the game knew the missing story of Tomoyo's arc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well its already been made like this..even if the story was hanged and forced to only shows the life of Tomoyo and Tomoya as a couple after Tomoyo became the new Student Council president.Anime quality as usual,something to be expected from KyoAni,just that the whole story feels incomplete to me.
Old 2008-07-15, 14:59   Link #11
Littm
ちょうど楽しみなさい
*IT Support

Just watched it. Good work again, Kyoto. Now facial animation is really amazing and shows more real feelings and some small feats like waving hairs adds more feelings in dialogs, you can't miss this in the last dialogue, for example. Plot is good and close to the game, but really short. Short enough. Their relations already started at the beginning of this episode and this is a pity, I expected their first contacts, meetings and relations. The main problem here is a single episode. Only 25 minutes... Because of this 25 minutes you can actually call this episode as summary and nothing more. I think, that people, who played game, should really love this, because they already know their full story, but as for others - they maybe will not like some things or will not understand some small feats here. Ah, btw, thanks a lot for this amazing soundtrack, in this 25 minutes you will hear enough outstanding tracks like Shionari II, Yukinohara and even Ana ! Kyoto, thanks again. And some more special thanks for Tomoyo's and Tomoya's last dialog. It's full and very close to the game, they tryed fully show it in this episode. One of the best dialogues in "Tomoyo's route". Now I hope for Tomoyo After...

9/10.

Well, now let's wait for Clannad AS.

Last edited by Littm; 2008-07-15 at 15:12.
Old 2008-07-15, 17:37   Link #12
velocity7

This episode also reaffirms why the Tomoyo and Nagisa arcs were mutually exclusive, and couldn't be done together at the same time. Same holds true for Kyou's arc.
Old 2008-07-15, 18:11   Link #13
Farplaner

Glad to see...

Spoiler:

made it in! In the speculation thread I was worried because it seemed like it wasn't in it.

A couple nitpicks:

Spoiler:

Last edited by Farplaner; 2008-07-15 at 18:35.
Old 2008-07-16, 00:16   Link #14
mandarb916

Personally, even though the events were compressed, i thought it was hands down the best ep of the series...tbh, i think it'll be difficult for AS to match or surpass this.
Old 2008-07-16, 00:27   Link #15
Utau
Butler mitai~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Utau
Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
Spoiler:
I thought so.

A very nice episode nonetheless, although I agree that it's a little short. KyoAni could have made it a 27-33 minute show to cover up more of Tomoyo's Arc and made the fans feeling more fulfilled. Though I must say, Ryou getting a cameo appearance, is unfair

Now, Tomoyo After... where?
Old 2008-07-16, 01:48   Link #16
arkxkra
全力全開

a very very nice episode, wait so long for this episode is worth it. Quite touching to watch this episode. Those sound track are nice too.

tomoyo after i think(maybe) will be after the after story, dvd release again?
Old 2008-07-16, 03:25   Link #17
S0ulz
T_T 5cm more to kiss

yea it is short but for me worth it
Old 2008-07-16, 07:54   Link #18
Taiyakikung

Send a message via ICQ to Taiyakikung
Umm!Is the sub out yet? I can't find it any where.
Old 2008-07-16, 08:02   Link #19
Littm
ちょうど楽しみなさい
*IT Support

No. But it should be soon, I think.
Old 2008-07-16, 10:18   Link #20
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

Oh man I love Tomoyo's ending so very much.