AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

View Poll Results: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The MOVIE 1st - rating
Perfect 10 61 43.88%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 30.22%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 8.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 12.23%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.44%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.72%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.72%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.16%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-03-07, 22:05   Link #1061
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
CCS henshin wouldn't work due to the dozens of variations with her costumes. Would be kinda weird to show one costume henshin and not the others...And there are far too many to show. Additionally, she alternates between costumes during battles, so that makes for even less time for henshin. And really, because of that, she doesn't have a signature henshin scene.
So far as I know, Strike Witches is also largely considered to be something of a magical girl show despite what it deals with, and even then none of the girls really have henshin sequences; unless you consider the bits where their ears and tails pop out henshin sequences. Of course, I could be wrong; I've always considered it something of a magical girl show, honestly, but that's just how I interpreted it.
Old 2010-03-07, 22:11   Link #1062
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Pantsu witches is not a mahou sjoujo, imo. It's just a military setting with magic.
Old 2010-03-07, 22:12   Link #1063
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Pantsu witches is not a mahou sjoujo, imo. It's just a military setting with magic.
In the end it all comes down to the viewer's preferences and interpretation of the show, so I don't think we're going to win this one.
Old 2010-03-07, 22:17   Link #1064
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
CCS henshin wouldn't work due to the dozens of variations with her costumes. Would be kinda weird to show one costume henshin and not the others...And there are far too many to show. Additionally, she alternates between costumes during battles, so that makes for even less time for henshin. And really, because of that, she doesn't have a signature henshin scene.
Ah, but you said: "Technically speaking, this series is of the mahou shoujo genre. A mahou shoujo without a henshin sequence would be a disgrace to mahou shoujo anime."

It's not whether it works or not; they still could have animated them, but the director wanted Tomoyo to supply costumes. CCS and Strike ares ARE considered Maho shoujo. Check wikipedia if you want. Japan calls them that.

So, based upon your quote, they are both "disgraces." They aren't my favorites, but I think a few fans would object to them being called disgraces. :P
Old 2010-03-07, 22:21   Link #1065
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Wikipedia = unreliable. Other sources tell me it's not. Like ANN and MAL.

As for CCS, technically speaking does have exceptions. Nanoha however, does not belong within an exception. They have but one costume, and one variation of henshin, as such, skipping the henshin would be ridiculous. It's one of the main draws to the genre.
Old 2010-03-07, 22:27   Link #1066
TheShinySword
Master of the Shiny Crack
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheShinySword Send a message via MSN to TheShinySword
Main draws? Really? You'd watch a movie for a 30-1:00 minute clip of sparkly nudity? Or a tv series for the same clip episode after episode? Distinctive trait maybe, but main draw?
Old 2010-03-07, 22:28   Link #1067
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

And that was a fine case of missing the point entirely.

It's a staple of the genre, it's just as significant as expecting a couple to kiss at the end of a romance. Neither have to happen, but the short sequence makes the genre all the more enjoyable.

Though it can be done excessively and kill the genre all the same.
Old 2010-03-07, 22:30   Link #1068
TheShinySword
*Author

Quote:
And that was a fine case of missing the point entirely.It's a staple of the genre, it's just as significant as expecting a couple to kiss at the end of a romance. Neither have to happen, but the short sequence makes the genre all the more enjoyable.

Though it can be done excessively and kill the genre all the same.
I think it's more of a case of not making a valid point in the first place. Henshin sequences are hardly as important as the kiss at an end of a romance. A romance is all about the, you know, romance. Magical girl without the magical girl, well yeah that'd be a problem. But without a bit of sparkly nudity? Somehow I feel the fans would survive, though I doubt it's leaving anytime soon.
Old 2010-03-07, 22:33   Link #1069
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

^Valid point was just edited into my previous post.

And I know the Nanoha henshin is a buzz kill to some people here, but it's quite the hit in a lot of other places.

And you know, I must have read at least 50 reviews of the Nanoha movie so far. You want to know the three main draws from their view?

Henshin, Starlight Breaker, Fate's rebirth - in no particular order. If a lot of fans want it and it's expected to appear in nearly every series of the same genre - it becomes a staple.
Old 2010-03-07, 22:49   Link #1070
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShinySword View Post
I think it's more of a case of not making a valid point in the first place. Henshin sequences are hardly as important as the kiss at an end of a romance. A romance is all about the, you know, romance. Magical girl without the magical girl, well yeah that'd be a problem. But without a bit of sparkly nudity? Somehow I feel the fans would survive, though I doubt it's leaving anytime soon.
you are doubting the power of the +~SPARKLE~

More seriously, MGLN most likely has the Henshin scenes because, when you come down to it, it's the spin off of an eroge.
Old 2010-03-07, 22:51   Link #1071
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShinySword View Post
This is my thought on the matter, but Demi might be correct from an eastern POV for all I know. Kinda a moot argument. We often as anime fans if only western anime fans at that have to wade through elements of show to enjoy the rest. :/

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2010-03-07, 22:56   Link #1072
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

I can say the female demographic who watched the Nanoha movie is almost null. That should tell you something.
Old 2010-03-07, 23:06   Link #1073
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Doesn't tell me anything, Demi. Sorry.

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2010-03-07, 23:09   Link #1074
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

What could men in their teens and twenties possibly find so attractive about a mahou shoujo, that women don't. hmmm?
Old 2010-03-07, 23:12   Link #1075
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

You are arguing with assumptions and made up statistics, so either the argument is as moot as I claimed it was and it is or you can continue arguing. Have fun.

Old 2010-03-07, 23:17   Link #1076
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

The statistics are not made up.

http://punynari.wordpress.com/2010/0...the-movie-1st/
"Yup, I went with the crowd and chose Feito-chan. Speaking of the crowd. Almost everyone seeing the Nanoha movie was a male and between the ages of 16-45. There were almost no females in sight. ^^;"

Would you prefer I quote more for you, Ehh?
Old 2010-03-07, 23:24   Link #1077
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Is your cock bigger than mine? (should i have one) gg Demi, you were suckered in by the supposed challenge i left for you when my true intent was to squash this pointless argument. let this reply be mercy upon your soul informing you of this of which you did not notice yourself.

Old 2010-03-07, 23:26   Link #1078
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
The statistics are not made up.

http://punynari.wordpress.com/2010/0...the-movie-1st/
"Yup, I went with the crowd and chose Feito-chan. Speaking of the crowd. Almost everyone seeing the Nanoha movie was a male and between the ages of 16-45. There were almost no females in sight. ^^;"

Would you prefer I quote more for you, Ehh?
You're only dealing with the movie itself, though. The actual TV series was popular for males in that demographic, as well as young girls. According to the trope page, it's popular with age 4 to 9 year old girls, and 19 to 30 year old males. The former category aren't really going to have the means to watch the movie on their own, but I assume they'll see it eventually.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...lLyricalNanoha
Old 2010-03-07, 23:26   Link #1079
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

It wasn't an argument. Whatever it was, if you wanted it to end, it is so much easier to just stop posting. Rather than present me with pointless assumptions stating that I'm the one who is making the assumptions.

@Kaijo: Really need to consider the eastern fanbase though. Who are they trying to tailor to? Because frankly, while us westerners benefit off the anime, they don't profit much off us. In Nanoha's case, anyways. Considering the total flop the licensed release was.
Old 2010-03-07, 23:31   Link #1080
TheShinySword
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
You're only dealing with the movie itself, though. The actual TV series was popular for males in that demographic, as well as young girls. According to the trope page, it's popular with age 4 to 9 year old girls, and 19 to 30 year old males. The former category aren't really going to have the means to watch the movie on their own, but I assume they'll see it eventually.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...lLyricalNanoha
Umm... did you read the whole paragraph?

It's a well known fact that Nanoha was made for the male 19-30 demographic.

Not arguing anything fyi just pointing that out.
Closed Thread