Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2006-11-11, 05:35   Link #961
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritoch View Post
Calling someone with the honorific "-sama" can mean different things. Maybe he's just one of those people who are in awe of Kira's piloting abilities or something
That's very true. Amagi and the other pilots surely knew of him before meeting him on Archangel due to his merits in the Strike from the first war. I'm pretty sure the best translation of "Kira-sama" is something along the lines of "Mr. Yamato," as Amagi and his subordinates have no reason at all to refer to him as Master or Lord Kira at that point in the show (he didn't outrank them until the final battles in space).
Old 2006-11-11, 06:19   Link #962
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

One point... I just thought about this.

Concerning the political status of Kira in Orb; even if he wanted to use his position as Cagalli's blood-brother to obtain some political power in Orb, it would be far harder than any of us thought.

After all, Cagalli was adopted. Her position as an aristocrat would be shaky had not been for the loyal followers of her adopted father, and as such she didn't yet have sufficient political capital to spare for anyone else during most of the show. (After GSD, sure; nothing like a good military victory and accidental death of all rivals to get most of the power)

Kira might be Cagalli's brother, but he has no link whatsoever with Izumi. Until Cagalli became better known for her own deeds rather than for being someone's step-daughter (It's already happening, but it will take a while), Kira would only have his military records to fall back on.

Thus, I believe for Kira to become an Orb public figure would be more trouble than it's worth. He would have a better chance doing the same in PLANT, since Lacus can offer/spare more genuine backing than Cagalli.
Old 2006-11-11, 06:24   Link #963
tritoch

Thus the argument comes full circle as the naysayers will most likely use your post to get their "Lacus abusing power" point across.

But I believe that Kira will be the one to decide as to why he will be wearing the uniform.

err and then Kira decides to.... "be with Lacus, so I need to become a soldier for Zaft"

And then this thread will be ... lively again..

Just a quick thought, eventhough Lacus can give a better backing, wouldn't it be more beneficial for Cagalli to have Kira at his side? I mean, Kira can offer more help to Cagalli rather than on Lacus. I'm not talking about the general politics that Cagalli has to do, but the on the personal level where Cagalli seem to lack support from. I don't know the situation about Athrun's relationship with Cagalli, so wouldn't it be better if Kira stayed in Orb [not as a soldier representing Orb, but as a guiding brother to Cagalli who needs the moral support]

Last edited by tritoch; 2006-11-11 at 06:37.
tritoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-11, 06:29   Link #964
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

VCV: Yeah. And I think there are strong hints of "meritocracy" in Plant, where status can come from outstanding performances. There, Kira's standing as one of the very best pilots of the world can really serve him.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-11, 06:44   Link #965
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

VCV's point was brought up a long time ago, IIRC... Someone posted on why the Kira-sama (( There used to a whole bunch of discussion of Kira's ascension to princehood/political gain just because of the ~sama~ suffix added to Kira's name )) shouldn't be taken that way, and even if it refers to Kira in a royalty manner, the chances of a realistic materialization would be too much of a trouble. Cagalli has that priveledge being brought up as a genuine Orb princess, but inducting Kira as royalty would create a whole bunch of issues even if there's no opposition within the Orb Council. The public for one will surely question the legitimacy of Kira.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-11, 06:56   Link #966
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I know! The -sama is the -sama you always see in harem animes... It means Amagi is in love with Kira. OK, mystery solved.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-11, 07:45   Link #967
tritoch

Must look for Amagi x Kira doujins!
Old 2006-11-11, 09:11   Link #968
kira-sama

Send a message via MSN to kira-sama Send a message via Yahoo to kira-sama
-sama is like we so respect to people so we call -sama
like amagi called kira-sama that's mean amagi was so respect to him i think because if there is no kira cagalli will be......or ORb will be the end

and the best couple on GSD
see here:
http://community.livejournal.com/asucaga/191608.html
kira-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-11, 10:17   Link #969
Neku
yare yare..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I know! The -sama is the -sama you always see in harem animes... It means Amagi is in love with Kira. OK, mystery solved.
...XD. No way!

Anyways, I reckon they greet Kira with a sama is because of a few reasons combined together:

1. They know that he's Cagali's brother. If they call Cagalli; Cagalli-sama, they would have to call Kira, Kira-sama too.
2. He does have the power to say 'Eto... mehleng desu' during the final fight.
3. They respect him.

Anyways.. is this really a big issue? I didn't really read your previous arguments though, so I don't know why was it brought up.
Old 2006-11-11, 11:24   Link #970
HazardNights

Send a message via AIM to HazardNights Send a message via MSN to HazardNights Send a message via Yahoo to HazardNights
You know I think we need to take a step back. We are asking logical and valid questions here and raising likewise points. However it's like trying to punch a brick and metal layered wall with your fist because logic and common sense weren't ever apart of the production of SEED Destiny's (perhaps only in the first 6 to 8 episodes and even then that's pushing it) story and script to begin with. That's what it comes down to in the end I think, the writers (lead ones and editors, you know who I'm talking about I hope) never stopped to question the logic of choices made for the characters when it comes to their titles and actions.
HazardNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-11, 14:00   Link #971
4Tran

Actually, I don't think that the events in Destiny are all that difficult to rationalize. While the execution of the story elements are sometimes questionable, they tend to be part of a greater fabric that holds together fairly well. In comparison, some of the other shows tend not to make sense unless we assume that important characters are either insane or total idiots.
Old 2006-11-11, 14:44   Link #972
ccardoso
Banned

Whene will there be the special 4? I want to see Kira in ZAFT!!!
ccardoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-11, 17:31   Link #973
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccardoso View Post
Whene will there be the special 4? I want to see Kira in ZAFT!!!
Since it's not going to be aired on TV, Special 4 will come out in February '07. It was mentioned a few pages back, but this thread has been severely OT for a few days now so I don't blame you for not being able to find it
Old 2006-11-11, 17:42   Link #974
tritoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Actually, I don't think that the events in Destiny are all that difficult to rationalize. While the execution of the story elements are sometimes questionable, they tend to be part of a greater fabric that holds together fairly well. In comparison, some of the other shows tend not to make sense unless we assume that important characters are either insane or total idiots.
Agreed. Gundam is pretty easy to understant. I say, remove all pretenses and watch the show again.
Old 2006-11-13, 00:50   Link #975
kira-sama

Send a message via MSN to kira-sama Send a message via Yahoo to kira-sama
i hope the SE4 will change the date into december or january
i can't impatient anymore to see how the ending end
and the movie too
kira-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-13, 07:48   Link #976
Rurimoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kira-sama View Post
i hope the SE4 will change the date into december or january
i can't impatient anymore to see how the ending end
and the movie too
I wouldn't want SE4 to release so soon. It would only means that they are reusing all the footage from the late eps and the ova.

If the ending doesn't change much from the ova, then we can also assume that the movie may take place many years later (may be 10-20 years after 73 CE) since it wouldn't be realistic to have 3 war going on in such a short period of time.
Rurimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-13, 09:03   Link #977
Last_Hope
System/Web developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurimoon View Post
If the ending doesn't change much from the ova, then we can also assume that the movie may take place many years later (may be 10-20 years after 73 CE) since it wouldn't be realistic to have 3 war going on in such a short period of time.
That´s what I´ve been saying all along. The UC isn´t realistic.

Note: I thought that EAF or Blue Cosmos capturing the AI (albeit only at a test stage) would spar them to once again go to arms but since the coolest ship design in the CE once again went boom... Not a war, a movie is too short for that unless they´re planning for SEED to go Lord of the Rings/Matrix , but an uprising or small rebellion can very well be pictured interestingly in a movie.

Want to know who did this kickass sig? Just click it!
Last_Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-13, 09:25   Link #978
Zero system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last_Hope View Post
but an uprising or small rebellion can very well be pictured interestingly in a movie.
you mean something like Endless Waltz, that would be cool
Zero system is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-13, 09:34   Link #979
Last_Hope
System/Web developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero system View Post
you mean something like Endless Waltz, that would be cool
That is certainly one possibility. CCA and the Second Rennaissance (Animatrix)is two others. "Just" show the prelude and the the final battle(s).

Want to know who did this kickass sig? Just click it!
Last_Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-15, 14:05   Link #980
ccardoso
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last_Hope View Post
That is certainly one possibility. CCA and the Second Rennaissance (Animatrix)is two others. "Just" show the prelude and the the final battle(s).
Final battles against the trio Kira+Athrun+Shinn? It's useless, they win by default.
ZAFT mobile suits would be just aim exercise for Kira and melee exercise for Athrun and Shinn... regarding the EA well, they're simply hopeless and useless.
It would be nice if most humanity (naturals and coordinators) would die because of some random unknown disease... killing Kira's group for first of course.
ccardoso is offline   Reply With Quote