AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2016-05-30, 10:22   Link #1
Saint rider 890

Am i just the only one who hate female archetypes personality ?

Seriously am i just the only one who hate female protagonist with tsundere , yandere , dandere and kuudere ? I mean what people like from female with tsundere , yandere , dandere and kuudere ?

Also why female protagonist with tsundere , yandere , dandere and kuudere is so popular than a female protagonist who acting normal personality ? Are female protagonist archetypes personality is really special compare to female protagonist without archetypes personality ?

Note: archetypes is tsundere , yandere , dandere and kuudere .
Saint rider 890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-30, 15:17   Link #2
IceHism

What do you think is normal first of all? Most characters could be placed within these categories or a mix of these categories.
I'd also like to say that these traits only affect how someone expresses their love.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-30, 17:37   Link #3
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
No you're not the only one who hates characters confined by their archetype, but there are varying degrees of constraint I'm willing to let slide before it gets egregious
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-30, 21:51   Link #4
judasmartel
*Author

OP, please define first what is a normal girl.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-31, 00:09   Link #5
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I feel like there are plenty of female characters that have "normal" personalities, but they just don't stand out as much because they're... normal. Given that these particular archetypes annoy you so much, they probably stick out more when they occur. Plus, even within these archetypes, there are varying degrees.

If you're exposing yourself to too many shows that are defined by extreme stereotypes, may need to broaden your horizons.
Old 2016-05-31, 01:16   Link #6
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
What do you think is normal first of all? Most characters could be placed within these categories or a mix of these categories.
I'd also like to say that these traits only affect how someone expresses their love.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma Kousaka View Post
No you're not the only one who hates characters confined by their archetype, but there are varying degrees of constraint I'm willing to let slide before it gets egregious
To follow up on these points, there's definitely characters I dislike for being "too archetypical". However, many of my favourite characters fit these archetypes, enough that I think describing me as a tsundere and kuudere fan would be fair. Though I'd prefer to be described as a fan of many tsundere and kuudere characters.

I like a lot of characters people describe as danderes as well but I would question if they are really danderes - I see the term as applying to a narrower range of characters than many. Yanderes are pretty hit and miss for me.

I would also note that years ago I had trouble grasping the appeal of tsundere characters. Then I got exposed to a few very well executed tsunderes, which I liked, and afterwards I started to like an increasingly broad range of them.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-31, 03:12   Link #7
-Antares-
Nope.
*Fansubber

Definitely need to broaden your horizons. Both with fictional girls and real girls. Supposedly I can be pretty tsundere about things, and I'm obviously not an anime character, though I am a girl. There's plenty of girls in anime that don't have extreme personalities, and plenty of girls in real life who have extreme personalities. Although, I will say that I completely do not understand the appeal of yandere characters... Then again, I once knew a guy who had been stalked by a girl for years and his reaction to it was, "it was kind of nice." People are weird, and that's probably the answer to your question.

You people don't actually talk to each other, do you? No way you could be this dysfunctional as a team and contradict each other if you did. Power trips not appreciated regardless.
-Antares- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-31, 04:16   Link #8
Brother Coa
Banned

I like Kuudere a lot and Dandere to a degree. And I cannot stand Tsundere and especially Yandere.

Never stooped me from enjoying an anime. Btw, if you expect girls and characters in anime to behave more like normal persons then why are you even watching them?
Brother Coa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-31, 04:44   Link #9
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint rider 890 View Post
Seriously am i just the only one who hate female protagonist with tsundere , yandere , dandere and kuudere ?
Please name these female yandere protagonists that plague anime so much, because I don't really see many. Actually, up to now I haven't seen a single one, although I do know some female yandere *heroines*.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-31, 06:24   Link #10
-Antares-
Nope.
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Please name these female yandere protagonists that plague anime so much, because I don't really see many. Actually, up to now I haven't seen a single one, although I do know some female yandere *heroines*.
Are you just talking semantics, here? I don't know about many, but I'm pretty sure Future Diary and School Days are both popular anime that happen to feature yandere as heroines second only to the main male lead. Correct me if I'm wrong, though, as I haven't seen a single episode of either anime. If you are talking semantics, then... I do not think protagonist still means what you think it means, and it hasn't for a long time. It likely hasn't meant that since before you were born. But you know what? Here's Google's handy dandy common use definition for you: "the leading character or one of the major characters in a drama, movie, novel, or other fictional text." And if the OP meant the obsolete definition, then who knows? Maybe yandere was the one exception on the list and the word "protagonist" was referring more to the other archetypes he mentions.

Whatever the case, it's clear to me he's just sick of seeing these types of characters in prominent roles.

You people don't actually talk to each other, do you? No way you could be this dysfunctional as a team and contradict each other if you did. Power trips not appreciated regardless.
-Antares- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-31, 07:08   Link #11
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint rider 890 View Post
Seriously am i just the only one who hate female protagonist with tsundere , yandere , dandere and kuudere ? I mean what people like from female with tsundere , yandere , dandere and kuudere ?

Also why female protagonist with tsundere , yandere , dandere and kuudere is so popular than a female protagonist who acting normal personality ? Are female protagonist archetypes personality is really special compare to female protagonist without archetypes personality ?

Note: archetypes is tsundere , yandere , dandere and kuudere .
Do you read or watch Oreimo? If yes, do you like Manami?
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-31, 07:20   Link #12
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixth
Do you read or watch Oreimo? If yes, do you like Manami?
That reminds me, Manami was the only reason I continued watching oreimo, honest.
Wasn't even that interested with kuroneko until I read some lovely doujins.

Also, Katou Megumi is a goddess
Old 2016-05-31, 09:22   Link #13
VORTIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint rider 890
Seriously am i just the only one who hate female protagonist with tsundere , yandere , dandere and kuudere ?
Nope, met a fair number of people who do.

Quote:
I mean what people like from female with tsundere , yandere , dandere and kuudere ?
Tsundere - A progressive romance with a character with conflicted goals and feelings where love wins out over lesser values like pride or tradition. An independent character with their own goals that don't revolve around their lover. A character who's strong, feisty and not afraid to speak their mind or dress down their opposite if they need it. Slapstick comedy. Empathetic schadenfreude.

Yandere - An all-consuming love that won't take no for an answer or let anything come between them. An obsessively doting personality which nonetheless possesses a reserve of menacing strength. An exciting experience where pleasure is merely a knife's breadth from pain and suffering.

Dandere - Identifying with a shy character that reflects the viewer's inner desire to be gregarious in a comfortable situation. The desire to protect a shy person who is frightened of interpersonal interactions. The special feeling that comes from being in on them opening up to a select individual or group of individuals.

Kuudere - Essentiallly the same as Tsundere, only minus the slapstic comedy and empathetic schadenfreude.

I LOVE Tsundere, like Kuudere, am good with a mild level of Yandere and don't particularly care either way about Dandere.

Quote:
Also why female protagonist with tsundere , yandere , dandere and kuudere is so popular than a female protagonist who acting normal personality ?
"Normal" is boring. Fictional narratives require some manner of challenge or struggle to create dramatic or in this case romantic tension. "Normal" girls either agree to go out with a boy or don't, make "normal" small talk, engage in "normal" dating activities, and will ultimately marry their boyfriend or dump him. They do not make for interesting stories. Childhood friend characters almost invariably come-up the loser in any anime because they just aren't interesting enough to make for a good story.

Further, the world is full of "normal" girls. There's no need for anime to fantasize about them. Folks watching anime romance are most likely for something a little less normal.

Finally, I'd argue that in their own way, all the "-dere" archetypes are more realistic than the "normal" girls portrayed in anime, who are rarely angry, behave badly, or engage in quirky behavior. In being flawed, they are more human, and in being more human, the viewer becomes more emotionally invested in them.

In short: They're more exciting, more realistic, and more engaging than "normal" characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde
That reminds me, Manami was the only reason I continued watching oreimo, honest.
Wow. I mean, even by Osananajimi standards, Manami was a character doomed to play a limited part in the series. That's like watching Haruhi exclusively for Kyon's sister. Oreimo even gave you the cherry on top by making everything her fault at the end.
VORTIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-31, 15:41   Link #14
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by VORTIA View Post
Wow. I mean, even by Osananajimi standards, Manami was a character doomed to play a limited part in the series. That's like watching Haruhi exclusively for Kyon's sister. Oreimo even gave you the cherry on top by making everything her fault at the end.
It's generally possible in series that seem to go out of their way to make you hate the whole cast. It's kind of like "Wow, these are terrible people, the one that isn't wins by default" Naturally, that tends to be a peripheral fan, or a non-fan.

In Oreimo's case, I honestly thought the few characters that played a limited role were better off that way.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-31, 18:55   Link #15
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Antares- View Post
Whatever the case, it's clear to me he's just sick of seeing these types of characters in prominent roles.
That's generally what I assume too, and judging by the string of barely comprehensible babble that is the OP post I'm also assuming they're not putting much thought into elaborating on the issue they have. But if they can prove me wrong on those assumptions it would be really cool, so I'm testing them.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-31, 21:53   Link #16
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
There's plenty of "normal girls" in anime, it's just that they're harder to find in certain anime (sub)genres than others.

If your anime diet is all battle shounen, LN adaptations, and harem romcoms? Yeah, you're going to be eating a very steady diet of deres, especially tsunderes.

Want more variety in female characters, and more female characters with normal-seeming personalities? You might want to try some mecha anime. You might want to try some mahou shoujo or idol anime. Or any version of all-girls anime, really. Not saying that these are completely free of the deres, because they definitely aren't, but these do tend to have a wide range of female character personalities.

Now, if you absolutely want an anime show where the lead character is a male character, and the female lead is a "normal girl", then that can be tricky to find. Here are some recommendations for that:

Clannad
Valvrave the Liberator (main girl is somewhat eccentric, but normal enough)
Gundam Seed (if "nearly perfect girl" = "normal girl" )
The Pilot's Love Song
Re:Zero
My Hero Academia
Macross Delta (same deal as Valvrave)
Gurren Lagann (romance isn't central here though)
True Tears (Noe's not normal, but she's not one of the deres either; Hiromi is pretty normal)

Note that about half of these shows are mecha shows. Want an anime where the lead character is a male character and the female characters are (relatively) normal? Mecha may well be the way to go!
Old 2016-06-02, 02:00   Link #17
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

I don't mind them if done right, they normally are my least favorite of the Heronies kinds. For example, I used to hate Nami from One Piece at the beginning due to that type of personality but she cooled down over the years since.

If you want a girl that's normal but has this type of personality, try Gintama. You'll find a certain blond female character who fits this but in my opinion she was done very well and is in my top list of favorite Gintama characters actually.

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki. Boruto X Sumire.
Gintokifan22 is offline   Reply With Quote