Notices

Old 2006-05-03, 14:21   Link #1
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
[Destiny] - Special Edition Discussion

*steals idea from wingdarkness and runs*

The first special has aired in Japan. Overall I was quite satisfied with it. Athrun's small blurb in the beginning from the bible was rather strange, but I suppose that it will help the course of things.

Discuss... comment... question... point out obvious errors in this release XD

Special Edition Coverage

Special Edition I:: PHASE-01 through PHASE-13
Special Edition II:: PHASE-14 through PHASE-28
Special Edition III::
Special Edition IV::

Special Edition Titles

Special Edition I:: The Broken World
Special Edition II:: Respective Swords
Special Edition III:: The Hellfire of Destiny
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.

Last edited by Deacon Blues; 2006-06-28 at 20:44.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-03, 15:17   Link #2
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

Interesting observation: some of the new animation in this (character artwork anyway) is not done by the Hisashi Hirai/A-team animators. And I'm wondering why the fuck not, but other than that I thought the first part was good. Shinn's role was totally minimized and I couldn't ask for more
Old 2006-05-03, 15:28   Link #3
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan
Interesting observation: some of the new animation in this (character artwork anyway) is not done by the Hisashi Hirai/A-team animators. And I'm wondering why the fuck not, but other than that I thought the first part was good. Shinn's role was totally minimized and I couldn't ask for more
You know... Since they removed the block-word scene, could it be they are removing Stellar's meeting with Shinn all-together?

I always considered Shinn's sudden attachment to Stellar in the TV series to be unrealistic. Perhaps, hope against hope, they are rewriting that part in a different way?

I can dream, can't I?
Old 2006-05-03, 15:33   Link #4
Teletha

The 2nd half has a lot of redone Shinn scenes for those who missed him. The Kira/Shinn grave scene was completely redone (it looks really pretty too despite the compressed screencaps I took ) . Shinn flashes back to his meeting with Todaka here as well. Watching, Shinn seemed a lot more SAD than angry this time.

Spoiler:

Rewatch the end of episide 8 and you can really appreciate what they changed.

Spoiler:

Athrun tells Kira he's going to PLANT and not Cagalli. They also changed the music to Anna ni Issho Datta no ni instrumental.

Spoiler:

They also redid the Athrun and Cagalli scene... took out Athrun's blush and redid the kiss (it's on the cheek now). Athrun seemed a lot more serious than before. I think the first one was cuter, not sure why they redid it in this way.
Spoiler:

I'll have to watch more later, when my download finishes.
Teletha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-03, 15:49   Link #5
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
You know... Since they removed the block-word scene, could it be they are removing Stellar's meeting with Shinn all-together?

I always considered Shinn's sudden attachment to Stellar in the TV series to be unrealistic. Perhaps, hope against hope, they are rewriting that part in a different way?
Oh god I hope so. There was a lot of stupid crap in the series totally derived from Shinn's forced attachment to Stella. Somehow they need to redo the battle against Destroy Gundam, or somehow make Shinn's anger at Kira due to Freedom killing his parents. That would be a lot more justified and would make the Impulse vs Freedom battle mean something. As it stands now it's just some mangled battle where Kira doesn't fight back and Shinn is demon possessed cuz his retarded girlfriend got killed. I just see better drama and a more fluid story coming from axing that relationship. They could also transition into his relationship with Luna a little better too, because as it stands that's all just one big WTF (for both Luna and Shinn). But these questions will be answered by the third movie. The second one will tell us if they are still going to do the Shinn and Stella thing.

Last edited by Obi-Wan; 2006-05-03 at 16:02.
Obi-Wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-03, 16:51   Link #6
laboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletha
They also redid the Athrun and Cagalli scene... took out Athrun's blush and redid the kiss (it's on the cheek now). Athrun seemed a lot more serious than before. I think the first one was cuter, not sure why they redid it in this way.
Spoiler:

I'll have to watch more later, when my download finishes.
Wow... never thought that they would redo it that way... I guess they're making optimal efforts to make Athrun and Cagalli's relationship less serious, more trivial... I really wonder why they are doing this now i.e. trying to downplay the whole thing. But I guess they do have their motives.

Thanks for the pics, Teletha!
laboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-03, 17:16   Link #7
Teletha

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboo
Wow... never thought that they would redo it that way... I guess they're making optimal efforts to make Athrun and Cagalli's relationship less serious, more trivial... I really wonder why they are doing this now i.e. trying to downplay the whole thing. But I guess they do have their motives.

Thanks for the pics, Teletha!
I'm not sure what they are doing, but how it's played out now it's more that he was doing it out of desperation and not exactly out of his love for Cagalli. He seems very serious and sad at the same time. They did later have him looking at the necklace Cagalli gave him when he's deciding if he should rejoin ZAFT, so that popped up again out of nowhere.
Spoiler:

Then he thinks about her during dinner with Meer. Though he thinks about Lacus too.... and Gilbert's words. In my opinion, they are just reinforcing the idea that he actually did join ZAFT to protect Kira and Cagalli... like he said. Before you couldn't tell that's why he did it.
Old 2006-05-03, 17:29   Link #8
laboo

Quote:
I'm not sure what they are doing, but how it's played out now it's more that he was doing it out of desperation and not exactly out of his love for Cagalli. He seems very serious and sad at the same time. They did later have him looking at the necklace Cagalli gave him when he's deciding if he should rejoin ZAFT, so that popped up again out of nowhere.

Then he thinks about her during dinner with Meer. Though he thinks about Lacus too.... and Gilbert's words. In my opinion, they are just reinforcing the idea that he actually did join ZAFT to protect Kira and Cagalli... like he said. Before you couldn't tell that's why he did it.

I think I'm just going to have to watch the raw whenever I find it...

But good observations, nonetheless. I think that it was really hard to tell why Athrun joined Zaft, the first time around. It seemed almost like he wanted a piece of the action, in some weird way. But at the same time, I don't really know how they are going to succeed with the "protecting Kira and Co." idea this time around. We'll just have to see how it plays out. Do you know when the 3rd and 4th parts are airing?

And in terms of Cagalli and Athrun, I've always been a fan of their relationship, but this so far just spells demise. I hope that there is some reinforcement of caring, love in this whole retake.... But you never know, maybe they'll throw more commitment and understanding from Athrun this time around. But yeah, sadness and desparation don't exactly bode well....
Old 2006-05-03, 17:42   Link #9
Teletha

Quote:
I think I'm just going to have to watch the raw whenever I find it...

But good observations, nonetheless. I think that it was really hard to tell why Athrun joined Zaft, the first time around. It seemed almost like he wanted a piece of the action, in some weird way. But at the same time, I don't really know how they are going to succeed with the "protecting Kira and Co." idea this time around. We'll just have to see how it plays out. Do you know when the 3rd and 4th parts are airing?
Well I didn't think it was a good reason, since he didn't protect Cagalli at all...and in fact protected Shinn over Cagalli. But that's what he said when he woke up after he was saved. He was mad they got into the battles with Minerva, but he never showed much concern for Kira/Cagalli/AA.

In the original I think it was more about the fake name thing, in the special editions... they seem to be making the fake name less of an issue. Though I can't understand the raw 100% of course. I think he joined ZAFT because he couldn't sit there and do nothing. It's just his character. He's got Daddy issues too.

I have no idea when the new part airs.

Quote:
And in terms of Cagalli and Athrun, I've always been a fan of their relationship, but this so far just spells demise. I hope that there is some reinforcement of caring, love in this whole retake.... But you never know, maybe they'll throw more commitment and understanding from Athrun this time around. But yeah, sadness and desparation don't exactly bode well....
I don't like AsuCaga anymore, so I can't say what they are doing. I'm not in favor of them together, so I might be biased... but they did cut a lot of their interaction, but then added/changed some.

I'd be surprised if we actually saw any commitment from Athrun on the Cagalli issue, but you never know. Though even though I don't like them, I don't really see anything that is saying they are doomed. If nothing else, Athrun is thinking more about her then he did before. Of course the next parts is what will really show if the relationship will work... since the beginning of Destiny was pro-AsuCaga anyway.

More changes -

OMG SHINN GOT AN INSERT SONG!

Well, it's an old one - but they added ZIPS to the scene were he destroys everything after going SEED.

The shootout with Lacus, Andy, Murrue and Kira was less cheesy then before, though Pink-chan still saved the day.

Spoiler:

Kira also hugged Lacus.

Spoiler:

Kira wasn't running around in his undies this time around either~

Spoiler:

That's about all I can tell. Though I know nothing about Gundam battles.

Last edited by Teletha; 2006-05-03 at 18:05.
Old 2006-05-03, 17:58   Link #10
laboo

Quote:
Well I didn't think it was a good reason, since he didn't protect Cagalli at all...and in fact protected Shinn over Cagalli. But that's what he said when he woke up after he was saved. He was mad they got into the battles with Minerva, but he never showed much concern for Kira/Cagalli/AA.

He's got Daddy issues too.
I definitely agree there... "Let's protect my friends by fighting against them" I think he could have done a heck of a lot more if he communicated back to them earlier on. Plus the fact that the whole Daddy issue stuff and courtesy of Dullindel just made him blind to even his friends' reasonings, and he was so hell bent that what he and Dullindel were doing was THE WAY. But then again, if he didn't think that, there wouldn't be much of a plot or turn-around for his character.

Quote:
I'd be surprised if we actually saw any commitment from Athrun on the Cagalli issue, but you never know. Though even though I don't like them, I don't really see anything that is saying they are doomed. If nothing else, Athrun is thinking more about her then he did before. Of course the next parts is what will really show if the relationship will work... since the beginning of Destiny was pro-AsuCaga anyway.
Well, I've always been a fan of them, only because they made for something interesting to watch, personality wise. But it was lost in Destiny. But we'll see what pans out... if the directors feel like salvaging things, or moving on. But for the love God, just pick something.
Old 2006-05-03, 18:01   Link #11
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

Quote:
More changes -

OMG SHINN GOT AN INSERT SONG!

Well, it's an old one - but they added ZIPS to the scene were he destroys everything after going SEED.
Wow I didn't think they could take a decent scene and make it worse. The orchestral BGM is probably 10 times more dramatic for that scene than a pop song. So far the SE is just out to get Shinn.
Old 2006-05-03, 18:15   Link #12
Teletha

Quote:
Wow I didn't think they could take a decent scene and make it worse. The orchestral BGM is probably 10 times more dramatic for that scene than a pop song. So far the SE is just out to get Shinn.
I kind of agree. I liked the original better. Fukuda can't go that long without showing his love for TM Revolution.

They are nice to Shinn so far I think. They redid his scenes with Kira (of course) and added some that made him look less like the angry jerk everyone accused him of being.

Quote:
I definitely agree there... "Let's protect my friends by fighting against them" I think he could have done a heck of a lot more if he communicated back to them earlier on. Plus the fact that the whole Daddy issue stuff and courtesy of Dullindel just made him blind to even his friends' reasonings, and he was so hell bent that what he and Dullindel were doing was THE WAY. But then again, if he didn't think that, there wouldn't be much of a plot or turn-around for his character.
I agree with that, BUT that WOULD MAKE SENSE! If Athrun, Kira and Cagalli had worked together after that episode things would have been much better - but they didn't. I don't think Gilbert really did much to add to Daddy issues, it was always there.

Quote:
Well, I've always been a fan of them, only because they made for something interesting to watch, personality wise. But it was lost in Destiny. But we'll see what pans out... if the directors feel like salvaging things, or moving on. But for the love God, just pick something.
I mostly agree with that. Though I don't see them changing anything too much. Morosawa doesn't like any of the girls for Athrun - so until she writes herself in the anime I guess he'll stay single.

Last edited by Teletha; 2006-05-03 at 18:27.
Old 2006-05-03, 18:43   Link #13
SNT1
r0x0rz j00r b0x0rz

hehehehe lots of changed scenes...

...but....

I just hope the Meyrin vs Cagalli fanboys/girl dont flood this thread...
SNT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-03, 18:48   Link #14
dom33
Pat:TAISAAAAA!

am the only one who realizes this special edition compilation stuff is just to make money?wd,shinji103,sniper-chan you guys agree with me right? any way if these special editions nerf shinn it'll end up badlly.
WhiteWings:To this day I don't know what the insanity behind the decision to release the first GSD ending. My God that was without a doubt the worst ending I had ever seen in my life in a anime series.
Blizzer: He already has special powers called super pheromone powers which makes him irresistable to Sekirei's in heat.
dom33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-03, 19:01   Link #15
Teletha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom33
am the only one who realizes this special edition compilation stuff is just to make money?wd,shinji103,sniper-chan you guys agree with me right? any way if these special editions nerf shinn it'll end up badlly.
Anime is made to make money genius. You can either be bitter and complain about it, or just be happy they have changed/fixed a few things. Though people who are still bitter about Destiny need to give it up.

Shinn wasn't nerfed! So don't complain.
Old 2006-05-03, 19:03   Link #16
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

There are a few people out there who will always have negative opinions of GSD. Sucks to be them.
Old 2006-05-03, 19:04   Link #17
cajunman380

well dom33 to be fair that is the general rule of any anime in the industry. You can see it everywhere. Its ultimately a buisness. in this case i see it as a bit of both. SD didnt exaclty wind up in a good note (i would rant but numrous threads have been made dealing with it so im not). From the images and what ive been hearing it looks liuke they are truly trying to make up for the lack of story and character nerfing that has occured. I cant complain about this first one because the best episodes of SD make up this compilation.....

the true test is what they will do for the other 3 movies becaus ein that regard.... A LOT OF WORK NEEDS TO BE DONE. ie theres a lot of explanations that need to be given and im hoping for a lot of scene changes (hopes for SF vs destiny) i would truly like it if they made shinns anger come from the fact that kira 'accidentally' killed his family and i hope they give athrun more backbone or at least make him seem more competent

i have just one question though. did they still show kira godd modding the assasins in the ashers or do they actually show a decent battle this time around.

in fukudas case his rep as a director must have taken some hits. i would imagine he would try to atl east make this specials based on the "vision " he intended. (hes making a deent effort so far)

--finally i am a bit pleased they are treating shinn a bit more nicely given all the crap they did to him in destiny. but ultimately im wating to see what they will do in the other compilation movies... no doubt the ending will be changed cuz they need to somehow tie in seed 3 if its even remotely related to this or maybe they will pull a digimon.

Last edited by cajunman380; 2006-05-03 at 19:37.
cajunman380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-03, 19:38   Link #18
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Interesting observation: some of the new animation in this (character artwork anyway) is not done by the Hisashi Hirai/A-team animators. And I'm wondering why the fuck not,
I don't think the scenes that Hisashi Hirai directs are "A-team"... Its just that they are scenes with him as the animation director.

But the guy just doesn't seem to like doing that much animation directing, so he only does a few important scenes occasionally (in the TV series, its like one scene every 10 episodes, except for the first and last eps). Giving him all the new scenes in Special Edition would be too much for him.

The same happened in the original Seed's SE, so its not new.
Old 2006-05-03, 19:41   Link #19
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunman380
or maybe they will pull a digimon.
What does that mean?
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-03, 19:52   Link #20
cajunman380

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunman380
or maybe they will pull a digimon.
What does that mean?

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I will explain. in the first digimon you had a story and a cast. in the second digimon you had the new cast and eventually the old cast came into play interacting with the new cast. The third series was diffent int he sense that they used concepts and elements from the series but the cast was completely different and totally unrelated to the first two, yet it was probably one of the best ones in the series. I dont think they would do that here but there were A LOT of things i thought they would never do before destiny came along so the possibility is out there.
cajunman380 is offline   Reply With Quote