AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-02-01, 01:08   Link #181
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

k..first comments...SIMPLY BRILLIANT SERIES THIS ONE IS. It is so totally overloaded with energy and moe. I think "ufotable" has found the equation of Moe..cause there is not even one movement which doesnt look cute. Cant believe this isnt in the current discussion thread yet??
toxic_trance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-01, 02:22   Link #182
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

We're probably afraid to get really attached to it because they're likely to nuke the city and kill all our little moekins .... lots of evil foreshadowing going on. Seriously though it is kind of amazing to watch --
Old 2007-02-01, 03:22   Link #183
Anacone
Lazy Poster

Send a message via MSN to Anacone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
We're probably afraid to get really attached to it because they're likely to nuke the city and kill all our little moekins .... lots of evil foreshadowing going on. Seriously though it is kind of amazing to watch --
Maybe Lolifanatics are angry because girls aren't pure lolis and are behind the tactical attack to wipe adults and save possible loli gene . It's just sad that with such low birthrate it goes generations to natural creation of portable loli .

Last edited by Anacone; 2007-02-01 at 04:23.
Anacone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-01, 05:41   Link #184
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

I don't expect this story to take a tragic turn such as in Saikano. But I feel it will be a thoughtful and melancholic journey (really, no SH implying). We may end to see something sad, but I'm not foreseeing nothing different from "the life goes on, let's move accordingly..."

I agree that Ichigo Mashimaro is, by some extents, similar to Manabi Straight. (I really don't see the Haruhi vibes at all, if not in Manabi being perhaps some special entity). Although the actual title I can't help to relate to Ichigo Mashimaro would be, again, Hidamari Sketch.

I made these out of the pictures on the official site, and as CK suggested, I put them in alphabetical order (yeah... didn't notice this either, I guess I'm slow in this period ^^)
Old 2007-02-01, 05:44   Link #185
JKL
Kyuuketsuki

One word: Fun!

I look forward to the next episode!
JKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-01, 06:48   Link #186
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
I don't expect this story to take a tragic turn such as in Saikano. But I feel it will be a thoughtful and melancholic journey (really, no SH implying). We may end to see something sad, but I'm not foreseeing nothing different from "the life goes on, let's move accordingly..."

I agree that Ichigo Mashimaro is, by some extents, similar to Manabi Straight. (I really don't see the Haruhi vibes at all, if not in Manabi being perhaps some special entity). Although the actual title I can't help to relate to Ichigo Mashimaro would be, again, Hidamari Sketch.
IM is only really similar to this superficially. I wouldn't even say the two shows carry the same type or amount of energy. The big difference between IM and this is that IM's characters were as flat as hell... which is fair enough for a plotless comedy, since they don't need characters, just jokes. I don't think this is going to be a plotless comedy. And I don't think these characters are going to finish up being flat. Tsundere Mei is the first obvious hint that major character development is around the corner.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-01, 09:20   Link #187
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Why are the subs for this not listed on AS? It's not licensed and it's not MFI (at least it doesn't say it is in the title here, so I assume it's not), yet there are two eps out by certain groups.

Am I missing something here? O_O
Radiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-01, 09:25   Link #188
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Umm, did you miss this? Or are there episodes that you think are missing?

Perhaps you were looking under "G" for "Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight?" I know I've had problems finding things in the alpha lists sometimes when they're classified in a different place than I'd expect.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-01, 09:33   Link #189
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Well, I looked under G and S but didn't see it there (Since it's called Gakuen, or School). So why abbreviate it to Manabi Straight? Just makes it more difficult for people to find if it's not named properly. Only reason I found it was because I searched on AniDB for the groups subbing it.

There's also the fact that I've never seen it actually listed on the main page or in the RSS feed. Maybe I just missed it, but considering there are two eps out by a couple of groups, I don't know how I managed to miss all of those releases. Maybe I'm going blind

Oh well, I'm downloading them now so it's all good. Thanks SeijiSensei
Old 2007-02-01, 09:55   Link #190
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiosity View Post
Maybe I'm going blind
Well, we all know what causes that at such an early age. Been watching too much hentai lately?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-01, 10:25   Link #191
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

lol, too much, or not enough
Old 2007-02-01, 11:29   Link #192
Nemo_N
Anime Leecher

I read about the Manabi Straight PS2 game website, and the picture of Mutsuki in the gallery caught my attention.

You can see it more clearly in the trailer (the orange buttons in the middle of the page, narrow and broad), but it seems the guy is enjoying Mucchi's lock a bit too much

Oh, who I'm kidding, I'M FILLED WITH RAGING JEALOUSY .

I must import this when it's out. For moeness sake...
Nemo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-01, 11:40   Link #193
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

With the revelation that they are High School girls, it made me rather annoyed.

No... not because they are not as young as originally thought, but because they are not drawn as such.

However... the character design may be intentional, since youthful innocence seems to be one of the main themes of GUMS( yes, GUMS ). I suppose they wanted to mellow the angst factor by making them more adorable and sympathising.

PV4 indicated that we would get to see adult Manabi in the future visiting the school, and the school is flooded with water and in ruins. PV3 showed the town being 'nuked', so maybe some disaster occured in the future and the school got ruined( they are in a coastal town, so it may be a typhoon).

Cheers.
Old 2007-02-01, 11:44   Link #194
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
With the revelation that they are High School girls, it made me rather annoyed.

No... not because they are not as young as originally thought, but because they are not drawn as such.

However... the character design may be intentional, since youthful innocence seems to be one of the main themes of GUMS( yes, GUMS ). I suppose they wanted to mellow the angst factor by making them more adorable and sympathising.

PV4 indicated that we would get to see adult Manabi in the future visiting the school, and the school is flooded with water and in ruins. PV3 showed the town being 'nuked', so maybe some disaster occured in the future and the school got ruined( they are in a coastal town, so it may be a typhoon).

Cheers.
Yes, it gave me a rude awakening as you know from my earlier blog post that i posted here.

I am still trying to persuade myself not to think that they are lolis, but high school kids.
Impz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-01, 12:09   Link #195
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

High School Girls?! Wow, I never would have guessed And after watching the first two eps, I am now officially hooked and can't believe I've been missing something so awesome for so long Forward, GO!

*cough* Hazukashii.....
Old 2007-02-01, 12:18   Link #196
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I find it utterly hysterical that ya'll missed that they were in high school just because of the drawing style .... its rather similar to the petopetosan round faced style (also a high school setting).
Old 2007-02-01, 12:36   Link #197
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Well, I looked under G and S but didn't see it there (Since it's called Gakuen, or School). So why abbreviate it to Manabi Straight? Just makes it more difficult for people to find if it's not named properly. Only reason I found it was because I searched on AniDB for the groups subbing it.
I think this happens because ASuki lists a new incoming series with the name given by the first fansub group picking it. In this case, the first entry was from Ryoumi, "Manabi Straight" (the promo video), the page was made in that moment (still december). All that came after, went under that name. Though also Eclipse-gg is naming it just Manabi Straight.
I too, would be more confident with "Gakuen Utopia" first, because I'm getting used to it and more importantly because it's the original name of the series.

Quote:
I am now officially hooked and can't believe I've been missing something so awesome for so long Forward, GO!
Massugu GO! ... but really, it's nice to see an increasing number of people joining this show since it's the least it deserves
Old 2007-02-01, 12:52   Link #198
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
I find it utterly hysterical that ya'll missed that they were in high school just because of the drawing style .... its rather similar to the petopetosan round faced style (also a high school setting).
Well, normally I pay more attention to things in the background (particularly in this case, where the fact they have a student council kinda hints that it's not elementary school) but the moe+loli factor was just too great and I couldn't get past the initial moe-enthusiasm to spot the hints and tells That's my story and I'm sticking to it

Pelli - yeah I guess that makes sense. It'd be nice for it to be updated, but I guess that's a bit beyond the scope of the staff really, since they've already got more than enough to cope with just in the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelli
... but really, it's nice to see an increasing number of people joining this show since it's the least it deserves
Aye, couldn't agree more
Old 2007-02-01, 13:34   Link #199
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
actually with first impressions its quite misleading i guess the loli factor just took over and ignorance to everything else comes into play XD

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-01, 13:36   Link #200
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Haruhi! You look so different and you call yourself Manabi now, huh?

Oh well....ALL HAIL MANABI!

XD

Tags
comedy, drama, school life, seinen, ufotable