AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Eden of the East

Notices

Old 2009-04-18, 01:24   Link #361
solomon

anybody know what kinda numbers it got?
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 01:58   Link #362
teelotes
·¥äkítðrý·

I'm glad Saki has made an advancement in her love life on Valentine's Day
teelotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 02:00   Link #363
teelotes
·¥äkítðrý·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure_Peregrine View Post
Nah, but a friend of mine pointed out that her loading sign is a quarter rest in written music. Speaking of which, those are musical notes in the background on her screen, aren't they? Maybe she's an aspiring musician.
Probably something to do with the interview?
teelotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 03:25   Link #364
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

I'd love to see how two Selecao users fight. A few possible ideas on crazy revelations:

1) There were two factions of Selecao users of opposing ideologies in conflict, causing the 11 well-timed, deathless missile strikes. Specifically, Akira made a string of weird moves with 20,000 NEETs to confuse the enemy faction into traps (or Juiz herself made the moves as a means according to a vaguer order from Akira).

2) Saki is in the Selecao system. Akira was supposed to kill her (possibly for being in the opposing faction), but they were in love, and decided to buy brainwashing programs to start over. (Yeah, right)

3) Akira brainwashed Saki and sent her and her friends on a trip to New York, thus allowing him to start over after a massacre of several other Selecao.

4) Akira was one of these 20,000 NEETs. Another Selecao user (Saki?) bestowed him his/her phone and gave him the instructions: Find armory in D.C., bring revolver to the White House, strip naked, and use the phone when it rings.

5) Saki's friends, the whole freaking car of them, are in the Selecao system. (Although that would cheapen the series somewhat)

A few things I have problems fitting in:
- Akira had this revolver in the beginning that he threw away right after he met Saki. In the guesses above, Akira has no reason to carry a revolver and undress in front of the White House.

- Secondly, I don't know how powerful the phones are, but it looks like Kondo IV can see all transactions. He would have known what's happening. Maybe the transaction history is wiped when the phone is passed on, which supports #4 a little bit.

And a few things to consider:
- They can get secondary phones, so that their actions aren't tracked.

- Must they not transfer their funds to cash?
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 04:11   Link #365
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Glad to know episode 2 continues to impress. I am especially loving the interactions between the characters; it's realistic in a sense that, they (Akira and Saki) are two people you can almost imagine anywhere in the real world, barring the odd circumstance Akira got himself into, of course. Budding romance aside, they act like normal teenagers without the usual need to dramatize or stereotype their dynamics compared to other romance anime; if this were some other anime for instance, Saki would have bludgeoned Akira to death when he showed up naked that first meeting. I thought Akira's snapping his fingers to get Saki to explain faster as particularly revealing with the comforting air and natural banter developed between those two.

Honestly, if the level of quality this series demonstrate continues until the end, I'd be more than ecstatic. Nothing else this season has impressed me as much anyway, aside from Sengoku and Basquash, if only for their stupid fun.
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 04:36   Link #366
Statonxyb
hrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
Glad to know episode 2 continues to impress. I am especially loving the interactions between the characters; it's realistic in a sense that, they (Akira and Saki) are two people you can almost imagine anywhere in the real world, barring the odd circumstance Akira got himself into, of course. Budding romance aside, they act like normal teenagers without the usual need to dramatize or stereotype their dynamics compared to other romance anime; if this were some other anime for instance, Saki would have bludgeoned Akira to death when he showed up naked that first meeting. I thought Akira's snapping his fingers to get Saki to explain faster as particularly revealing with the comforting air and natural banter developed between those two.
Yeah, this part struck me well, too. Every little thing about the series is well done, something I (to be quite honest) have not seen before.

On a side note: Aren't they both in their early twenties? Teenagers wouldn't exactly fit them. :b
Statonxyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 05:43   Link #367
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

Well don't take it the wrong way, but to be perfectly blunt, I found the interaction between the two a bit awkward.
They flew from Washington DC back to Japan which is about ~16-18 hour flight (do note they sat by each other), and they supposedly talked with each other so little that he didn't even told her he suffers from amnesia O.o (plus they spent several other hours before and after that anyway). They were completely silent the whole flight or what? Or I guess it's explainable that they slept 8-8 hours each, while the other was awake, but that's sounds a bit against human nature in my honest opinion.

I mean they are indeed nice and they look alright with each other, but I've found that point a bit unbelievable. I've actually presumed he should have already told her he don't remember anything so I was a bit surprised when I see he actually tells her that in the middle of ep2 in Tokyo airport. Otherwise what they could have been doing offscreen? Obviously not talking about movies, Careless monday, or any personal stuff either.
Edit I didn't meant to be finicky though, I love the series so far
izmosmolnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 06:00   Link #368
Katapan
俺様祭り

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
anybody know what kinda numbers it got?
Animation Program and Movie Average Television Household Audience Ratings in the Kantou Region of Japan (Tokyo, Yokohama, Kawasaki, Saitama, Chiba, etc.)

*3.2% (*4.8%) 04/16 (Thu) 24:45-25:15 Fuji TV Higashi no Eden (Eden of the East)

Slightly disappointing... though at least the episode itself wasn't. I was really expecting a high number, so it should be interesting to see where it goes from here.
Old 2009-04-18, 08:12   Link #369
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Damn. I still admire this series more than really like it. It looks fantastic (even if Saki looks like she was ripped from the pages of a shoujo manga and plopped into an I.G. extravaganza) and it's doing a masterful job spinning a series of mysteries. But I don't really feel anything - I don't laugh, and I don't see any reason to care about any of the characters yet. Maybe it's just not compatible with my wiring.

Also - Akira and Saki smile too much. It's disconcerting.
I just got around to watching the first 2 episodes, and while it was fun I have to say I kinda agreed with your posts... is there something wrong with either of us?

Spoiler for incredibly long and wet-blanket-ish:

I'm entirely willing to give it the benefit of the doubt, though, since it's only 11 episodes, and will certainly eat my words if it turns out to be really that awesome.

And it sure beats the everloving hell out of most recent things.
Old 2009-04-18, 09:56   Link #370
neogeo1990

Around 1.5 million yen to hire/bribe someone (police?) kill those 2 (or 3?) men... rather cheap isn't it? XD

And about IV going after IX... think he wants to kill him off and take his phone "I'll be taking your duty", after all he only has 7,000 so yen and then his duty would be finished?

Maybe the supporter will kill him off soon for abusing his powers? But then if there is only one supporter within the 12 selecaos then couldn't the supporter just kill the other 11 all off? Thinking about this... I'm thinking that the supporter gets to only kill one selecao and then he/she must transfer his/her powers which then the position would be allocated by Juiz presumably.
neogeo1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 10:06   Link #371
Starry Dust
Lurkin' in ur threadz.

So last night had me thinking...
Spoiler for Some speculations & questions:
Starry Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 10:11   Link #372
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

This is getting interesting. People with unique mobile phones, able to give commands that allows them to achieve anything they wish for.

It probably comes with the price of which we know nothing about, but probably has something to do with the French slogan Juiz uses: Noblesse Oblige.
http://www.answers.com/topic/noblesse-oblige

A comment on a minor error by gg fansubs, when one of the debtors came to claim money from Kondo, he said Kondo owes him 20 million (2千万), but gg's subs say 2 million.

Saki finds herself irresistibly intrigued by the mysterious young man Akira, and despite not knowing anything about him, decides to take up his offer to "jump ship" with him, literally. Though this jumping of ship may begin an exciting adventure for her, and for us as well.

Nonsensical for the lolz speculation:
I think not only has 20,000 NEET been kidnapped, but one of their Meccas, the Tokyo Big Sight, is probably one of the places hit by the missile attack since the Big Sight is very near Toyosu. Rainbow Bridge can be seen in the background, so I can't be wrong, since I've been to the Big Sight, which is nearby.

Saki's mobile phone map shows the missile having hit somewhere south east of Toyosu, which would be somewhere around the Ariake area. I wouldn't be surprised if Akihabara got nuked as well.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 10:19   Link #373
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
I just got around to watching the first 2 episodes, and while it was fun I have to say I kinda agreed with your posts... is there something wrong with either of us?
Well, it's nice to know I'm not completely alone in this. It's not an easy position to be in, really. You want to tell yourself "The kool-aid looks delicious. It's just sweet, fruity kool-aid - drink it!"
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 10:25   Link #374
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Speaking of which, is this the first time an anime series ever make reference to 9/11?

Though Akira or Saki (I forgot who exactly) were a bit off when they said no movie had yet been made about that. There's the one with Nicholas Cage, and another one about UA93 which crashed in Pennsylvania, directed by Paul Greengrass, who is also the director for the second and third of the Jason Bourne trilogy, which Akira seems to be based on.
Old 2009-04-18, 10:29   Link #375
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
Speaking of which, is this the first time an anime series ever make reference to 9/11?

Though Akira or Saki (I forgot who exactly) were a bit off when they said no movie had yet been made about that. There's the one with Nicholas Cage, and another one about UA93 which crashed in Pennsylvania, directed by Paul Greengrass, who is also the director for the second and third of the Jason Bourne trilogy, which Akira seems to be based on.
I thought they were talking about the Freedom Tower, not 9/11, when they said no movies had been made about it...
qmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 10:36   Link #376
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmeister View Post
I thought they were talking about the Freedom Tower, not 9/11, when they said no movies had been made about it...
That was also my impression.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 10:49   Link #377
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

I see, thanks for clearing that up, guys. I must have heard wrong.

I'm feeling like going to my local HMV and grab Oasis's Dig Out Your Soul album, which contains Falling Down.
Old 2009-04-18, 11:11   Link #378
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
I'm feeling like going to my local HMV and grab Oasis's Dig Out Your Soul album, which contains Falling Down.
Or you could wait till the Japanese release of the Falling Down single (5/27), which includes a bonus DVD containing an animated music video (only in the limited edition, though).
Old 2009-04-18, 11:35   Link #379
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Or you could wait till the Japanese release of the Falling Down single (5/27), which includes a bonus DVD containing an animated music video (only in the limited edition, though).
Interesting.

Oasis was recently in Japan to perform in Music Station, here's them performing Falling Down.
Old 2009-04-18, 12:40   Link #380
Azure_Peregrine
Film Student

Send a message via AIM to Azure_Peregrine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post

@Azure_Peregrine -- Good point about Old Testament and kings. Although Israel did have kings like Saul and David.
Well, yeah, but even when there were great Kings of Israel, they screwed up in the end. As I recall, King David eventually set about sending a man to the front lines of a war so that he'd be killed for the sake of taking that man's wife, and, upon a quick google search, it appears Saul offered a sacrifice to God (the life of a bull or ox or somethin' like that), but only priests were allowed to make those offerings - in short, Saul sinned, and ruined his chance at establishing rule over Israel forever. Saul does more bad stuff later, such as keeping some livestock alive when God instructed him to kill everything (frankly, I'd agree with Saul on that one - the sheep didn't do anything to deserve death). Anyways, the point being that, at least in the Old Testament, nothin' good ever seems to come of monarchy. The faithful monarchs seem to do good stuff here and there, but in the end, they're still monarchs.

Shifting gears for a second: My mind is BLOWN.

It's been established that 11 and 12 are important numbers in this show. We know that 9/11 is important to the show. We know that Careless Monday occurred on November 22, or 11/22. We know that there have been 11 missile attacks. In the preview, it is stated that the show takes place over 11 days.

I'd just like to throw out there that I am not a religious nut - I'm quite the opposite. But I did a quick google search for the biblical significance of the number 11, and stumbled across a website for a Church called the Eighth Day Assembly. I think they read FAR too much into the significance of things, but, for as nutty as I think they may be, they do illuminate some interesting tidbits about the number 11, 12, and 22:
(I'm just gonna put this in spoilers since it's long)

Spoiler:

Also, more on the number 12 from a different website:
Spoiler:

These two websites can be found here:
http://members.cox.net/8thday/meaning.html
http://www.agapebiblestudy.com/docum...0Scripture.htm

So what's this mean? Well, it first off means that the creators of this show paid a lot of attention to the timing of what happens in the show. 11/22 would be a perfect day to have disorder (11) in the form of a missile strike, but hope (light, 22) in the form of no victims. Also, let's take into account that there are 12 selecao people - but, with Juiz, that's thirteen, a number representing... not good things, and if any of the Selecao die, as we suspect they might, that brings them down to 11, which is disorder. Also, if you take the fact that apparently one of the 12 is different from the others, we may even consider it 11 and 1, rather than just 12.

Besides this, 12 individuals meant to spend money for the sake of helping a country? When there are individuals set up to help a whole country like that, it seems rather... governmental. Let's also take into account all that stuff about Kings and Princes in the opening - it seems that the creators knew that 12 would represent perfect governance. So let's see where they go with that.

The question, for me, is when to stop linking the biblical numbers and the numbers in the show. For instance, Akira was apparently born on the 7th of January, and 7 is a perfect and pure number - but Saki was born on the 6th, an evil number. I doubt that Saki is evil (unless she's meant to represent that slut Eve, who we all know is evil and at fault for getting our asses kicked out of Eden).

So. How much weight do think the numbers will have in terms of how this series plays out?
Azure_Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
romance, spy thriller