AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Bleach

Notices

Old 2014-02-05, 10:50   Link #4881
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Pretty much an insanely basic ability - it freezes anything it touches, which means it's 100% melee. It's also of very limited use (and why the hell would you want to stop an enemy's bleeding!?) not to mention it's one-shot actual power of absolute zero and the time it takes before Rukia can use it effectively.

Still, it's a shikai, so it's all kay...but I really think her previous version was quite stronger, it had zoning potential!
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-05, 11:11   Link #4882
SeanQ

i'm fighting as a being deader than dead therefore i have no fear -_- isn't that really just a security blanket ... what if you become deader than "deader than dead"?
Old 2014-02-05, 11:22   Link #4883
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calca View Post
This chapter: Rukia suddenly retcons her weapon to be more powerful that Hitsugaya's even though his was the "most powerful ice zanpakutou".

Also she can make her body go to absolute zero for four seconds. Never mind the fact that absolute zero means no molecular movement from molecules, she can still somehow move her body. In otherwords Rukia can lower her temperature to a point where at an atomic level, all molecular motion stops (IE it is impossible to get colder than absolute zero). Nevermind the fact that at that temperature by definition any movement at all generates heat (any molecule in the universe that moves will generate heat) and that temperature is the set point by which will lack any heat. Yet at this temperature she can move her entire body which enables her to beat her opponent.

Why am I more critical of this than other chapters? Well that's easy. My degree is in a science related field which makes me reject a notion that goes against the very laws of physics much easier than others.
I'm used to psuedo science in fiction (especially in anime), but this was taking actual science, shooting in the head, burying the corpse, pissing on it, and for good measure, a spit before walking away.

I mean for pete's sake, at least try to do some research before writing stuff based on real world mechanics. It's insulting and it makes the author look like an idiot. At least try and explain why you're giving the law of physics the finger, and "fuck you, because I said so" is not an explanation.

It's a power that tries too hard. He could have easily made the power something like "My sword can create ice so dense and sharp that it can cut through anything and never break. It also freezes everything it touches to any temperature I choose, including absolute zero." Rukia then proceeds to stab guy, control temp, and freeze him in place at absolute zero.

No zombie spirit, no bullshit explanations of actual science, and it's a consistent upgrade from her previous sword abilities. It also doesn't shit all over Hitsugaya's sword, even though I believe he's a completely overrated character.

And what's really irritating is that these "training arcs" didn't actually train these guys at all. So far the only thing they've managed to produce is stronger swords. I thought the whole point of losing their bankai was to teach them that being a shinigami isn't just the sword. Apparently, it's entirely about the sword. That reliance further adds to the shallow characterization of the story. It says "screw your kido and flash steps and hollow masks", just get a bigger sword and you'll be the boss.

When your characters become defined by their gimmicks, you've failed as a writer. That's what Bleach has become over the years: a character with a gimmick fighting another character with a gimmick, with plot/characterization only used to bridge the downtime between fights, to be quickly dropped and ignored when the next battle begins.
Old 2014-02-05, 11:25   Link #4884
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Oh yeah, the whole "I'm dead right now" part was completely whack
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-05, 12:02   Link #4885
Wandering Soul

Well I think it's safe to say that Kishi just took actual science killed it, mutitlated it, burned down it's house and then kill it's dog. I know there are spirtual entities but he could have come up with a much better explantion.
Old 2014-02-05, 12:13   Link #4886
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Kishi?
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-05, 12:19   Link #4887
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I'm used to psuedo science in fiction (especially in anime), but this was taking actual science, shooting in the head, burying the corpse, pissing on it, and for good measure, a spit before walking away.

I mean for pete's sake, at least try to do some research before writing stuff based on real world mechanics. It's insulting and it makes the author look like an idiot. At least try and explain why you're giving the law of physics the finger, and "fuck you, because I said so" is not an explanation.
Don't you think you're exaggerating just a little bit here? Yes, it doesn't make sense, but then few things in anime ever do. Hell, even As Nodt said the same thing. She made what's impossible possible with magic, it's not all that different from anything else in the series.

Quote:
It's a power that tries too hard. He could have easily made the power something like "My sword can create ice so dense and sharp that it can cut through anything and never break. It also freezes everything it touches to any temperature I choose, including absolute zero." Rukia then proceeds to stab guy, control temp, and freeze him in place at absolute zero.
You know you're contradicting yourself with the bolded part, right? That there would be trying too hard. In any case, the rest of what you wrote was basically the same thing Rukia did.

Quote:
It also doesn't shit all over Hitsugaya's sword, even though I believe he's a completely overrated character.
Again, how does this shit over Hitsugaya? Being able to control all the water within a certain area is still above what Rukia did, in my opinion, at least.

Quote:
And what's really irritating is that these "training arcs" didn't actually train these guys at all. So far the only thing they've managed to produce is stronger swords. I thought the whole point of losing their bankai was to teach them that being a shinigami isn't just the sword. Apparently, it's entirely about the sword. That reliance further adds to the shallow characterization of the story. It says "screw your kido and flash steps and hollow masks", just get a bigger sword and you'll be the boss.
The impression I got from the chapter was that she learned some kido that would keep her alive while frozen to those absurd temperatures.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-05, 12:43   Link #4888
WONDERMIKE
kanpai!

Send a message via ICQ to WONDERMIKE
I really do not like Rukia enough to let her get away with those stupid powers hell, suddenly even Renji's powerup looks cool and brilliantly established to me
Old 2014-02-05, 13:08   Link #4889
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I think Kubo forgot that Shinigami's are spirits, and are technically dead... lol
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-05, 13:59   Link #4890
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
The impression I got from the chapter was that she learned some kido that would keep her alive while frozen to those absurd temperatures.
which is the most absurd thing about this chapter
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-05, 14:08   Link #4891
ChampDream
Alive

Rukia new power is really cool, but the explanation could be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
I think Kubo forgot that Shinigami's are spirits, and are technically dead... lol
that what I was thinking when Rukia said that she not alive.
Old 2014-02-05, 14:10   Link #4892
Knjaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Way to make Hitsugaya look like total fodder.
He's kinda not. It seems Rukia's ability is more about temperature and freezing (while it still can produce ice), and Hitsugaya is going with ice itself, while still being able to freeze his opponents in ice.

P.S. the explanation could be much, much better. Like, Rukia would need to experience actual death of her body during her zanpakuto training, stopping all processes in it, and she would need to acknowledge and accept that state of her body with her mind. Which would lead to her getting rid of the fear of death. Not moving around with absolutely frozen body driven only by reishi/reiatsu. (although, Kubo's version still makes some sense, within Bleach universe).

It'd make reference to some yoga/meditative techniques existing in RL, where you acknowledge death and stop fearing it.
Knjaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-05, 14:23   Link #4893
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

Rukia is "Genryusai of the frozen"

and yeah is right Happy see other think like me for after reading the Rukia's sentence ..... Shinigami IS dead just spirit Kubo-sensei .... Don't forget ... yeah he forget that
Old 2014-02-05, 17:33   Link #4894
Alchemist007
*Author

No es bankai...yet. Certainly hope it looks something like that cover though, damn!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Also, you're still alive!
Old 2014-02-05, 18:20   Link #4895
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Ok the thing with the death... I can go on with this because they somehow all die. But wait when she can move although she is dead doesn't that mean that rukia is a zombie?
Quote:
i'm fighting as a being deader than dead therefore i have no fear -_- isn't that really just a security blanket ... what if you become deader than "deader than dead"?
Quote:
Quote:
and yeah is right Happy see other think like me for after reading the Rukia's sentence ..... Shinigami IS dead just spirit Kubo-sensei .... Don't forget ... yeah he forget that
NO. In metaphysical terms, all living beings in Soul Society are "reishi-based lifeforms".
Do you guys not remember about reishi? Or is this about Bleach readers being Bleach readers?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-05, 18:45   Link #4896
DoubtGin

I hate how Kubo pulls out shit like this. It's ridiculous how good guys randomly have THAT ONE ABILITY that beats the one used by the villains.
DoubtGin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-05, 19:25   Link #4897
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Ok that was a bad chapter but then I expected as much, with the way this series has been for past years.
These fights now are just boring yammering of how their powers work and it's really just quite pointless on the whole.

However I will admit that chapter 567 wasn't a complete waste of time as when you reach that cover page you just kinda stop for a moment to bask in the glory of it all.
Now I will say that Rukia is not my favorite girl of the series, infact I could say she doesn't even get into my top 5 but as always there comes a time for a character to have their moment and by god this is Rukia's moment, a simple image but a glorious simple image.
Theres only one word to describe Rukia there and that's delicious!

It also makes me think that Kubo should really just stop with writing a manga story and just draw 20 pages of single images depicting whats going on(without dialogue) and just let us enjoy it then.
Old 2014-02-05, 19:59   Link #4898
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
LOL. The author's not the one getting all hot and bothered arguing "real world" physics about a series based around "reishi-based lifeforms" that have all kind of magical powers and currently aren't even in their version of the real world, much less the real real world.

I would also like to congratulate you all, because they are now all dead. Every one. God has killed all the catgirls, thanks to the last few pages...
Old 2014-02-05, 20:13   Link #4899
AdventSleeper

I.. I just...I... I... am just ... speechless... and am in awe of how creative Kubo can get when it comes to making nonsensical bullshit..
AdventSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-05, 21:27   Link #4900
itachi-san314

aaahhhhhh my brain! it feels like it's frozen to -42°...

rukia: "I'm dead, but this makes me deader. luckily i can control my deadness"
as nodt: "the joke's on you! I'm also dead. But wait. Now I'm deader. I can't control my deadness at this temperature!"

renji: "It's negative 9000!!!!!"
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bleach, chapter