AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-01-08, 00:55   Link #221
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Chiaki stole the show for me. I've always preferred HanaKana in a stoic role, and that one piece serafuku complete with zettai ryouiki, on top of eyeglasses and long black hair? Hit almost every moe element I have. Makes her character definitely to be the most mysterious of the lot, especially since she has the same last name as another pirate in ED. Which begs the question, if Chiaki is the daughter of a rival pirate, why save her at all?

Only question is, will the show provide even a smattering of shippy material to keep me interested? Scanning the OP/ED shows no candidates unfortunately.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 01:02   Link #222
Midonin
Last Engage

This is a show that would naturally have plenty of ships in it.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 01:06   Link #223
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
This is a show that would naturally have plenty of ships in it.
.... I see what you did there.

As to this ep... LEGAL PIRATES and IT'S TIME FOR PIRACY! I do believe I'll be following this for a while.

Also, Chiaki's reaction to the parfait was

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 01:16   Link #224
Kyuu
=^^=

I don't like how Marika is a clueless pink haired stereotype. But whatever. Chiaki alone made up for that.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 01:21   Link #225
blewin

quite an interesting anime. I really want to know how pirates can be legal. How can it work in this universe?

now let's hope the main lead doesn't disappoint. I hate it when a person who should be a normal person with average knowledge suddenly knows the trade of something that he hasn't come across before, and actually get to excel in it.

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 01:27   Link #226
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I didn't really know what to expect from this show. Seems OK, but I'll definitely keep watching if only for calm, cool, collected, long-dark-haired, bespectacled, Chiaki.

Endless "Time for Piracy" Soul
Old 2012-01-08, 01:32   Link #227
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep1:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 01:32   Link #228
DangerMouse

Huh I liked how Marika actually didn't feel particularly clueless or brainless and she actually displayed brains in the simulator just as much as skill for stuff like piloting and watching and intelligently using various information gauges and using the information so I didn't think she came off as clueless or a hothead who doesn't think, except for with the thugs in the suits at the end for the comedy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
and no crappy fanservice despite the title. Oohh, tasteful?
Liked that too, was quite pleasantly surprised. Only thing I could have done without perhaps would have been with her working somewhere other than a maid cafe but they were surprisingly understated and quite tame with it and actually made it come off as a cafe and less of being there just for camera to show the maid outfits.

The thug scene was pretty amusing and liked the moment where her friend popped up and shuffled/flashed over to Chiaki to take her order lol. Chiaki's moment with the desert was pretty funny. Marika was my favorite in the premiere though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewin View Post
quite an interesting anime. I really want to know how pirates can be legal. How can it work in this universe?

now let's hope the main lead doesn't disappoint. I hate it when a person who should be a normal person with average knowledge suddenly knows the trade of something that he hasn't come across before, and actually get to excel in it.
Speaking of this I liked that the creators naturally developed it to give her a time where at least she was able to do some researching (for a non-coincidental reason for a change too) which I liked so she'll at least have a reason to know at least a little bit about it, as you said I kind of hope she doesn't just "get" how the ship works best and instead hope they have to teach her a bit about the ship and how their piracy works.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2012-01-08 at 02:02.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 01:54   Link #229
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewin View Post
Look up the history on "Privateers". This is something I managed to pick up from... I believe... Civilization III. There was a unit called the "Privateer"; and with it, a player was able to attack other ships without war declaration. In an essence, it was "legalized pirating" in order to disrupt trade of rival nations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privateer

And what do you know -- in that Wiki entry... the first thing I noticed ASAP: "Letter of Marque". Thus, likely the inspiration for this story. I feel cool now.

So, now, the notion of "pirating" isn't as evil as the current media makes it out to be. What a load of bullcrap the MPAA and RIAA has been.
Old 2012-01-08, 01:56   Link #230
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

I have not watched the episode itself yet, but I saw the OP and ED. The ED is kind of forgettable to me, but definitely not bad. It sounds kind of refreshing, actually. The OP on the other hand... was godly. o_O I was NOT expecting all of that. Honestly, lol. (And Hyadain's music composition is quite apparent; I can definitely hear a bit of his style in there.)
Old 2012-01-08, 01:57   Link #231
Kagayaki

Wow, this episode had reasonably-well-grounded characters and a almost-sort-of-believable setting when I was expecting an explosion of pantyshots, Gainaxing, and insane troll gibberish. I can see myself becoming a hardcore Marika fan as the show goes on. Chiaki seems targeted at fans of HanaKana's Kuroneko voice, which I'm not complaining about. I have confidence she'll get more development soon. The direction of the "action sequence" in this episode sucked hard though. It would probably be more accurate to call it the "inaction sequence with flashing lights". The OP was the second worst part of the show after that.

I like the slowness though. It's my opinion that the best part of pirate movies isn't the piracy, but rather the pirates themselves, who are often unique and very colorful characters. The actual act of piracy ("swashbuckling"), on the other hand is pretty much the same whether you do it via land, sea, air, or space, with burly sailors, Orlando Bloom, or miniskirted schoolgirls. So I'm glad that this show is developing characters and trying to explain the setting in the first episode rather than doing some cheesy piratey action sequence and fanservice explosion like I feared.

I now plan to watch this all the way to the end. (Disclaimer: My anime watching plans are about as accurate as weather forecasts.)
Old 2012-01-08, 02:17   Link #232
DangerMouse

This, I actually really enjoyed the "slowness" and real introduction and getting to know the world and characters. So glad the show was actually the thoughtful type and not the panty-flashes all over the place type it could have been.

I hope I'm not giving them a pass (guess we'll see next episode looking at that packed preview) but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt since the rest of the show looked so good and it feels fitting with the touch of oldschool and say pretty sure they purposefully obscured showing the action shootout scene this one time and just hinted at it with the beam blasts since Marika didn't get to really see it either keeping her head down and closing her eyes and covering her ears and keep up Marika's atmosphere and give next time a little more as Marika starts seeing it by starting understated before breaking out next ep which doesn't really happen anymore.

This chief animation director is no stranger to awesome action so hopefully that's the case and it's no wonder the show looks good (and hopefully will continue to when we get to the action), this guy was the chief animation director on the gorgeously animated Big O, and worked as animation director on various episodes or parts of Bebop, Mai-hime, Inuyasha, Trigun: Badlands Rumble, the Bebop Movie, and even an ep of Tiger & Bunny and more.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2012-01-08 at 02:33.
Old 2012-01-08, 02:26   Link #233
justpassingby

This thread was only 12 pages long. People should go through it if they wanted to know what this show is about.

Or, I can just repeat it here so people can actually consider if this anime will meet their expectation or not: This anime is revolving around the premise of "Marika growing up". The director wrote that, and the casts know it.

Source:
Quote:
ヒロイン茉莉香の描き方ですね。小説の方だと狂言回し、振り回される側として描かれていますけど、アニメは 主人公ということで、彼女の成長を軸に26本書いてます
From interview with 2.5 d

Other source: Nico Video. Skip to the part with the Benten Maru's casts. Itou Shizuka (Misa) said apart of Marika's growth, this is also about nurturing Mikako Komatsu
HanaKana said to look forward to Chiaki and Marika's friendship [source] (last line of the interview)
So if you guys came for your favorite seiyuu or character archetype ( that is not Marika+Mikako) to grab the screen time, probably you'll be disappointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Which begs the question, if Chiaki is the daughter of a rival pirate, why save her at all?

Only question is, will the show provide even a smattering of shippy material to keep me interested? Scanning the OP/ED shows no candidates unfortunately.
Spoiler for hmm:

Edit:
Spoiler for Novel Kenjo Kurihara aka Chiaki's father aka Big Oyaji aka Black Beard :P :

Last edited by justpassingby; 2012-01-08 at 03:11.
justpassingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 02:52   Link #234
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
This thread was only 12 pages long. People should go through it if they wanted to know what this show is about.

Or, I can just repeat it here so people can actually consider if this anime will meet their expectation or not: This anime is revolving around the premise of "Marika growing up". The director wrote that, and the casts know it.

Source:
From interview with 2.5 d

Other source: Nico Video. Skip to the part with the Benten Maru's casts. Itou Shizuka (Misa) said apart of Marika's growth, this is also about nurturing Mikako Komatsu
HanaKana said to look forward to Chiaki and Marika's friendship
[source] (last line of the interview)
So if you guys came for your favorite seiyuu or character archetype to grab the screen time that is not Marika+Mikako, probably you'll be disappointed

Spoiler for hmm:
As I said earlier in the topic so glad this is the case, so nice and refreshing like this first episode, good to have a new straight up space scifi "coming of age" adventure I miss these. (To go with Last Exile, two in back-to-back seasons no less even, after such a drought!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
Edit:
Spoiler for Novel Kenjo Kurihara aka Chiaki's father aka Big Oyaji aka Black Beard :P :
Big Oyaji as a nickname for Black Beard? Hehe, sounds like that could be amusing.
Old 2012-01-08, 03:17   Link #235
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well not a bad first episode. Didn't really get into the OP's song though, so may just skip that going forward.

This is one time I can't blame the lead for going all "ehhh" on us. I mean just drop a bomb that her father is dead, was a pirate captain, and now she is in line to take over....Maybe she should have drank the wine .

Don't know this dead captain, but my sympathies. If everyone can just drink and laugh about it...yeah rough times.

Still seems like it could be pretty interesting with how much time they are putting into the setting.
Old 2012-01-08, 03:41   Link #236
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

does this show have yuri in it?
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 03:44   Link #237
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaKaBaKaOtaKu View Post
does this show have yuri in it?
I sure hope not. That'd ruin this series and take away the adventurous focus of the series.
Old 2012-01-08, 04:02   Link #238
xizro345
King's Justice

Doesn't look it has. Who is the main screenwriter, by the way, if anyone knows?
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 04:02   Link #239
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
I sure hope not. That'd ruin this series and take away the adventurous focus of the series.
Spoiler for to be safe:
Old 2012-01-08, 04:16   Link #240
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Something interesting i remembered.
Spoiler for ep1:

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri