AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2008-11-01, 04:04   Link #4301
Aquillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
What was that supposed to be, some imaginary "look! they spend almost as much money as we do!" from the GOP Dirt Team? I often wonder how much is actual McCain strategy and how much is supporter lugnuts just making the fools look like bigger fools.

Actually I'd be surprised if you could get away with less than $200 at that joint. Nothing about the Obama family suggests to me that they spend their money frivolously but I imagine they spend what they have to when they need to. But its really tough to order and sign for room service when you're not even in the same state at the time.
That was my thought. The most embarrassing thing about all this is that whoever produced that photoshop was so incompetent that they couldn't even find an actual example of Obama or his wife spending a lot of money. Seriously, while I hope they don't do it often, occasionally a Senator or a Senator's wife is going to end up in places where they have to spend money, and I don't have a problem with that.

The reason why it was so explosive for Palin was, in part, because she'd tried so hard to sell herself as a small-town, down-to-earth hockey mom. It's much like Edwards' $400 haircuts -- expensive haircuts are nothing big in politics, but if you're trying to run on an a-hyuk-I'm-just-one-of-the-folks, then obviously spending huge amounts of money on yourself is going to undermine it.

I don't think that Palin buying expensive clothes is horrible (the convoluted campaign-finance tricks they used to try and hide it were embarrassing, but even that's not it). The issue is that her folksy posturing is complete bollocks; I think most of the people on this board knew or strongly suspected it, but the massive amount she spent on clothes was much more solid proof.

It's not really the thousand-dollar designer suits that are embarrassing; it's understandable that a politician would want to spend money on looking good. It's all the "gosh-darn, I'm just one of you folks" that came before it, which is now revealed as (bad, overly-hammy) posturing by the woman wearing thousand-dollar designer suits.

Last edited by Aquillion; 2008-11-01 at 04:15.
Aquillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-01, 17:12   Link #4302
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
That was my thought. The most embarrassing thing about all this is that whoever produced that photoshop was so incompetent that they couldn't even find an actual example of Obama or his wife spending a lot of money.
Probably not that the photoshopper was going for an actual example of Obama & Co. spending boat loads of money, nor that they were going for an elitist only look, but with the Iranian Caviar, they were aiming for a "Hey, look here everyone! They are eating the food of our enemies... ...You must hate them, and hate them strongly."

...Kind of like the whole French thing some time ago if you remember the Freedom Fries and all that.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-01, 17:39   Link #4303
einhorn303

Speaking of "redistributing wealth"...

Palin's Movement Urges 'Godly' To 'Plunder' Wealth of The 'Godless'

Sarah Palin endorser Bishop Thomas Muthee, in a speech he gave before blessing and anointing Sarah Palin as a political leader, on October 16, 2005 at the Wasilla Assembly of God, laid out the current agenda of the New Apostolic Reformation - how "God's kingdom" needed to "infiltrate" seven sectors of society. Muthee listed most of them: business and finance, schools and education, media and entertainment, politics and government.

Muthee also stated "The Bible says the wealth of the wicked is stored up for the righteous. Sarah Palin was in the audience. Minutes later, she was anointed, and blessed, with the laying on of hands.

Thomas Muthee is an internationally known celebrity in the New Apostolic Reformation and a personal friend of the movement's head, C. Peter Wagner. In June 2006 Wagner proclaimed that "God has declared through His prophets that the wealth of the wicked will be released to the Kingdom of God," and declared, threateningly, "the enemies' camp will be plundered."

..."I declare that this wealth will be distributed for the extension of the Kingdom of God by the apostles that God has set in the church." Wagner made clear that that human agency would be a part of his wealth transfer scheme, and Wagner specifically singled out the "godless":

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bruce-..._b_139987.html
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-01, 17:41   Link #4304
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Much as I'd love to tie this to Palin, I'm going to take the same position that I did with Obama and Wright: just because she was in the audience and received Muthee's praise doesn't mean she supports his cracked ideas.
Old 2008-11-01, 20:40   Link #4305
WhiteWings

I know negative political ads and attacks are a basic fundamental(?) part of politics. But some of the negative attacks in the Republican camp (eg. the little terrorist claim) and how the republican campaign strategy seems to have embraced such attacks openly made me and some of my friends who were previously open to either candidates prefer Obama over McCain.

Digging up dirt and throwing them at the opponents faces is normal, unfortunately, but there are some things that take thins a tad too far.
Old 2008-11-02, 00:15   Link #4306
DarkSide Hero
Hero From the Darkside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green² View Post
Probably not that the photoshopper was going for an actual example of Obama & Co. spending boat loads of money, nor that they were going for an elitist only look, but with the Iranian Caviar, they were aiming for a "Hey, look here everyone! They are eating the food of our enemies... ...You must hate them, and hate them strongly."

...Kind of like the whole French thing some time ago if you remember the Freedom Fries and all that.
HAH! Shows what they know since the Caspian Sea is considered the source of the finest black caviar in the world!
/elitism
The woman yelled over her shoulder to her husband watching a game to ask who she was voting for. He responded, "we're votin' for the n***er!" The woman turned back to the canvasser and said matter-of-factly, "we're voting for the n***er."

In this economy, racism is officially a luxury.
DarkSide Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-02, 00:57   Link #4307
james0246

Great night on Saturday Night Live: John McCain On Saturday Night Live With Tina Fey As Palin (VIDEO). Also, Ben Affleck did a wonderful lampoon of Keith Olbermann, portraying the Far Left's answer to Rush Limbaugh as crazed bachelor that still lives with his mother and conducts editorials concerning his cat Princess Precious (or some such name). Great night overall for the historically uneven SNL.

After the election, if John McCain loses, I expect that everyone (or at least those that know of the "old" McCain) will ask, "Where was the John McCain from the Daily Show, from SNL, from 2000." But, if he wins, and it is partially due to this skit, then America deserves John McCain and Sarah Palin.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-02, 01:08   Link #4308
Cherudim Arche

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Great night on Saturday Night Live: John McCain On Saturday Night Live With Tina Fey As Palin (VIDEO). Also, Ben Affleck did a wonderful lampoon of Keith Olbermann, portraying the Far Left's answer to Rush Limbaugh as crazed bachelor that still lives with his mother and conducts editorials concerning his cat Princess Precious (or some such name). Great night overall for the historically uneven SNL.

After the election, if John McCain loses, I expect that everyone (or at least those that know of the "old" McCain) will ask, "Where was the John McCain from the Daily Show, from SNL, from 2000." But, if he wins, and it is partially due to this skit, then America deserves John McCain and Sarah Palin.
Deciding on humor, does not mean they are qualify for the roles, if McCain and Palin do get them.

Personal history is still the best way to judge their experience and judgments.
Cherudim Arche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-02, 01:19   Link #4309
WhiteWings

Regardless of who wins neither can't do any better than Bush. As a person George W. Bush would be pretty nice guy I wouldn't mind having as a neighbour . But as a president of the most powerful country in the world he doesn't qualify.

A pity really.
Old 2008-11-02, 01:28   Link #4310
solomon

Early voting seems like a hit with tallies ranging from 10 to 50 percent of registered voters in many places around the country.

(10% for Indy 50% for Vegas and Austin for example) they say there is gonna BIG turnout.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-02, 02:06   Link #4311
New/Old
Old to the New

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynames/ Virtue View Post
Deciding on humor, does not mean they are qualify for the roles, if McCain and Palin do get them.

Personal history is still the best way to judge their experience and judgments.
Mayhap that person means by that statement that America=stupid for voting in McCain/Palin, therefore America deserves them. Insert doom and gloom if one wants from this point.
Old 2008-11-02, 03:23   Link #4312
solomon

Look guys either way it's a real crapshoot. NOBODY really knows what they would get, especially with America's economy and foriegn policy woes.
Old 2008-11-02, 06:48   Link #4313
solomon

Something tells me it'll be closer than we think. Especially in Ohio and Florida.

Scince im an Obama man, loooking at it most conservatively if he manages to get all the usual democratic places (NE, Great Lakes except OH and IN, Pacific Coast) plus Iowa, Colorado and New Mexico he can JUUUUUUSSST edge out McCain
Old 2008-11-02, 07:41   Link #4314
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Something tells me it'll be closer than we think. Especially in Ohio and Florida.

Scince im an Obama man, loooking at it most conservatively if he manages to get all the usual democratic places (NE, Great Lakes except OH and IN, Pacific Coast) plus Iowa, Colorado and New Mexico he can JUUUUUUSSST edge out McCain
But he doesnt need Ohio or Florida if VA, CO, NM and Iowa goes to Obama. But Virginia is the first one to close their polls and Obama wins that, its going to be a very long night for McCain. I think Obama will be in the 290 - 300 range
Old 2008-11-02, 11:24   Link #4315
DarkSide Hero
Hero From the Darkside

This is my projected out come:
Spoiler for click to see map:

I believe Obama will win every state he has campaigned in.
The woman yelled over her shoulder to her husband watching a game to ask who she was voting for. He responded, "we're votin' for the n***er!" The woman turned back to the canvasser and said matter-of-factly, "we're voting for the n***er."

In this economy, racism is officially a luxury.
DarkSide Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-02, 12:00   Link #4316
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

I agree in most part with that outcome except I think McCain will take Indiana and Missouri. And he might barely capture North Carolina.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-02, 13:39   Link #4317
james0246

^The only reason McCain would take Missouri is because damn Ralph Nader, for whatever reason, has 4% of the "Left" vote in Missouri. Otherwise, the state would be almost locked-up for Obama. That being said, it is extraordinarily close in Missouri, a state that has a metropolitan population almost exactly equal to the rural population (at least in regards to likely voters).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-02, 16:42   Link #4318
sikvod00

This is a little old, but still relevant. Focus on the Family, an American evangelical group headed by James Dobson, issued a letter predicting what an Obama Presidency would be like. Check out the link to read it and get some LOL's.
http://focusfamaction.edgeboss.net/d...2012letter.pdf
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-02, 17:38   Link #4319
solomon

What does being a Christian have to do with Gun ownership? I seriously wonder.

Anyways I just made a very conservative call so as to not get hopes up.
Old 2008-11-02, 17:41   Link #4320
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Dobson is one of a handful of extremists that stretch and twist the very meaning of Christianity. My reading of the words attributed to Jesus imply that He would trout-slap Dobson into oblivion along with Robertson and the rest of the theocrats.

They're losing their grip on the sheep as the younger sheep take a closer look at the hate spew these guys have put out for decades.

Tags
debate, elections, politics, united_states