AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-01-08, 19:03   Link #261
justpassingby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaKaBaKaOtaKu View Post
does this show have yuri in it?
Not using the novel spoiler
Spoiler:
Old 2012-01-08, 19:06   Link #262
Dop
Mmmm....

That was way better than I was expecting, really, so I'm eagerly awaiting the next episode, even if it should be called "Bodacious Space Privateers" - but then I guess 'Privateer' is less commercially viable than 'Pirate'!!

I approve of the fact that while they had opportunities for fanservice they avoided them. This gives me hope for the storyline. 26 episodes should give it time to develop nicely.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 20:01   Link #263
octoberasian
Baka Gaijin :P
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
I'm glad to know my expectations of this show was correct. A great sci-fi anime and a tribute to old space opera animes.

I got hooked with the 1st episode, the characters are interesting and the story has potential. Can't wait for next week!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
That was a lot of fun.

Oh man you guys were right with early feedback on the ep, this felt like exactly what I've been missing and hoping it would be, that bit of oldschool but updated, big scifi action adventure show with top notch modern visuals, we haven't even gotten to space yet and I was locked in by the natural pacing and nicely realized scifi setting and tech for the setting and quickly likeable characters. Marika pulled off being the MC quite well in the premiere and I love her design.

Really loved the music track that opened the episode! Nice supporting background music for the light stuff, loved the bits of more noticeable music throughout and towards the end, can't wait to hear the bigger tracks as we go forward. Like ShioiRyu, really got into the up-beat OP/ED.

Spoiler:

Man I miss shows like this.

This (obviously potentially since we'll see once they get into space and get the real space action but with how like-ably they handled one of the hardest parts I'm quite hopeful) and Last Exile: GnF have finally delivered the action adventures we used to get a lot more often, feels great getting two of these in back-to-back seasons.

Hmmm...I'll just let that one pass for crazy talk or that you're someone who never saw more of FMA in dubbed form since english dubbed Mustang is badass.
Definitely agree.

I enjoyed the first episode more than I should have. Like others mentioned above, it's like a homage to the space operas of the 80s, 90s. Memories of my childhood came back to me. Aside from mecha and mahou shoujo, I've been a fan of these kind of anime shows for a long time. I would have thought this genre died a long time ago.

The characters are cute and likable so far especially Marika. It reminded me partly of Yamamoto Yohko and Sora wo Kake Girl for some reason, but I'm sure there's more to it than that. I'm really looking forward to the next episode now.
octoberasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 20:10   Link #264
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

My new Dark Queen.

Spoiler for picture:

Endless "Yes, my Queen" Soul
Old 2012-01-08, 20:21   Link #265
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well the only remain Privateers if they are still working (legally) under a government. If they are no longer under a contract, and still prey on ships "at sea" or attack anything, then they are Pirates.

Of course in anime there are variations on pirates. There is the traditional pirate out for money, and then there is the Matsumoto pirate out because he is (fight the good fight, be a man about it, don't give a damn what the Earth governement has to say about it)....see pretty much any version of Captain Harlock or Queen Emeraldas for reference.
Old 2012-01-08, 21:42   Link #266
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
This is my next Star Driver for me so far, a show with a ton of characters with part school life and part action pack with an awesome setting. Apart from Last Exile, I hope this becomes my second main show.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 21:54   Link #267
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
My new Dark Queen.

Spoiler for picture:

Ooo la la, just look at 'dem curves!
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 22:01   Link #268
sa547
*Author

After some hesitation, I'm going to give this show a try.
Old 2012-01-08, 22:13   Link #269
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Maybe I am getting a little too worked up about all the complaining for what seems to be no other reason but to complain.

Seriously? I really don't know why people keep coming back to this one scene and comparing it to Madoka?

The mysterious transfer student plot device thing has been done to death in anime for decades...
Oh yes, mysterious transfer students are common, but the tone and style of introducing the mysterious transfer student was very Madoka.

It's to be expected that a huge hit like Madoka is going to have some impact on other animes. Just as Evangelion, and Haruhi, and Fullmetal Alchemist did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewin View Post
quite an interesting anime. I really want to know how pirates can be legal. How can it work in this universe?
Wikipedia knows all about it.

John Paul Jones
from the Revolutionary War is probably the most famous American "legal pirate". (And I'm guessing that the American privateers from the War of Independence is the historical inspiration for the legal Space Pirates in this show). JP Jones actually attacked England.

Of course, technically JP Jones was an actual naval officer, not a privateer or a pirate, but the English all labeled him a pirate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
With a title like "Space pirates in miniskirt", I expected the worst, but it was surprisingly good. It does have that "old" anime feel which nowadays feels fresh. I'm not completely sold on it yet since I'm not entirely sure which direction the show will take, but this first episode definitely piqued my interest. It seems like it could really be "Harlock in miniskirt".

I'm so sorry, but you forced me to do this:

I feel dirty now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by octoberasian View Post
Definitely agree.

I enjoyed the first episode more than I should have. Like others mentioned above, it's like a homage to the space operas of the 80s, 90s. Memories of my childhood came back to me. Aside from mecha and mahou shoujo, I've been a fan of these kind of anime shows for a long time. I would have thought this genre died a long time ago.

The characters are cute and likable so far especially Marika. It reminded me partly of Yamamoto Yohko and Sora wo Kake Girl for some reason, but I'm sure there's more to it than that. I'm really looking forward to the next episode now.
Funny enough I think the story premise reminds me more of the book Treasure Island then any of the old anime space adventures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Well the only remain Privateers if they are still working (legally) under a government. If they are no longer under a contract, and still prey on ships "at sea" or attack anything, then they are Pirates.

Of course in anime there are variations on pirates. There is the traditional pirate out for money, and then there is the Matsumoto pirate out because he is (fight the good fight, be a man about it, don't give a damn what the Earth governement has to say about it)....see pretty much any version of Captain Harlock or Queen Emeraldas for reference.
My guess is going to be that the governments screwed up when issuing the Letters of Marque and issued them in perpetuity, with a clause for inheritance, and no clause covering revocation. I'm assuming the war was expected to last several generations and that the privateers were expected to act independently without resupply or communication with the issuing government. (Not that unrealistic considering historical privateers).

The government probably failed to take into account the idea that they would win and that the privateers would be unwilling to relinquish their letters of Marque.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?

Last edited by Sackett; 2012-01-08 at 22:51.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 22:58   Link #270
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I came into this expecting Kampfer... in Space! With Pirates!

And that probably would have been fun.

But what I actually did get was something that I think I'll end up appreciating a fair bit more: And that's a serious sci-fi action/adventure story with excellent characterization within a show that'll be more than a guilty pleasure for me.

The first half of Episode 1 was a bit slow in some ways, but it did do a great job of setting up what was to come, and probably the series as a whole. The second half of Episode 1 was loads of fun and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I love the new kuudere/mysterious transfer student! Yes, I almost instantly saw the Homura inspiration as well, but hey, there's far worse characters for new anime characters to be inspired by than Homura.

The scene of Waitress Mariko being the object of attention of numerous "shiny glasses" thugs - Not because she's a waitress, but because of what people expect her to become - was great! Really funny scene, that provided some nice comedy and a decent cliffhanger to end the episode off with.

I wasn't totally blown away by Bodacious Space Pirates, but I will say this, these Space Pirates do indeed seem Bodacious so far. Now, I hope to see Mariko herself become a Space Pirate soon, ideally no later than Episode 3.

8/10 for Episode 1.
Old 2012-01-08, 23:25   Link #271
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
But what I actually did get was something that I think I'll end up appreciating a fair bit more: And that's a serious sci-fi action/adventure story with excellent characterization within a show that'll be more than a guilty pleasure for me.
It feels as if -- it's been a long long time since anything like that had come up. Especially with all this moe, slice-of-life stuff that had been coming out the most recent previous years.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 23:38   Link #272
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

@justpassingby
Heck, I'm not picky. Just give me ONE het ship and I'll be happy. It doesn't even have to be on the forefront. I mean romance in stuff like Starship Operators or even Legend of the Galactic Heroes were like 5% of the screentime, and I finished both. But judging by the looks of it, I'm not even going to get that. XD

Or at least, no yuri between Mari and Chiaki. Biggest way to kill my interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Look up the history on "Privateers". This is something I managed to pick up from... I believe... Civilization III.
Holy crap I feel old. My first foray into Privateers/Letter of Marque was with the age old classic, "Pirates!", complete with beeping weird noises from the PC speaker.

So yeah, not at all unfamiliar with 'legal pirates' and all, since I played an 'honorable privateer' in that game by raiding everyone but one country. Hated by everyone else, but man, treated like a king in settlements by that country. Good ol'times.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 23:44   Link #273
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Haa....

Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the Bentenmaru. Its 2-cour mission: to raid ships of their precious cargo, LEGALLY. To boldly go where no schoolgirl(daughter of two Pirate Captains) in a miniskirt has gone before....
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 23:45   Link #274
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post

My guess is going to be that the governments screwed up when issuing the Letters of Marque and issued them in perpetuity, with a clause for inheritance, and no clause covering revocation. I'm assuming the war was expected to last several generations and that the privateers were expected to act independently without resupply or communication with the issuing government. (Not that unrealistic considering historical privateers).

The government probably failed to take into account the idea that they would win and that the privateers would be unwilling to relinquish their letters of Marque.
Well from what we know in universe 100 years ago Marika’s colony world Sea of the Morningstar revolted against its ruler, the Stellar Alliance. As part of its war strategy it issued Letters of Marque allowing piracy against their colonial rulers. Apparently this went swimmingly, since the war was won in a yet-to-be-revealed surprising way.

My theory the pirates were decisive in ending the war, so for political reasons the new government couldn’t simply cancel the Letters of Marque. But it was extremely awkward for the government to continue to sanction piracy going forward, so they added a qualification that each Letter could only be passed on to a direct descendant. Piracy having high workplace mortality figures, this resulted in exponentially decreasing numbers of “legal pirates” each year. Today there are very few Letters-of-Marque holders alive, but there are still wanna-be crooks and freeloaders. Anybody holding such a Letter would be a license to print money for any would-be pirates. So the guys in the cafe are their to press-gang Marika not injure her.
Old 2012-01-08, 23:52   Link #275
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Well from what we know in universe 100 years ago Marika’s colony world Sea of the Morningstar revolted against its ruler, the Stellar Alliance. As part of its war strategy it issued Letters of Marque allowing piracy against their colonial rulers. Apparently this went swimmingly, since the war was won in a yet-to-be-revealed surprising way.

My theory the pirates were decisive in ending the war, so for political reasons the new government couldn’t simply cancel the Letters of Marque. But it was extremely awkward for the government to continue to sanction piracy going forward, so they added a qualification that each Letter could only be passed on to a direct descendant. Piracy having high workplace mortality figures, this resulted in exponentially decreasing numbers of “legal pirates” each year. Today there are very few Letters-of-Marque holders alive, but there are still wanna-be crooks and freeloaders. Anybody holding such a Letter would be a license to print money for any would-be pirates. So the guys in the cafe are their to press-gang Marika not injure her.
Pressgang as in making Marika give up her license, or steal it or force her to be their captain instead?
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 23:59   Link #276
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
Pressgang as in making Marika give up her license, or steal it or force her to be their captain instead?
Yea something like yes...just more on the please hire us side.
Old 2012-01-09, 01:13   Link #277
Ami-chan
Raging Ami-chan Fanboy

Well, that didn't really sound like Kana Hanazawa ^^* Anyway, I have hope that this well end up being more than just "last season's guilty pleasure"! But even if it doesn't....who cares? Space pirates in miniskirts, LET'S DO THIS! FIND ONE PIECE!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/mrjasonpark/Sigs%20and%20Avys/Momo-01-1.jpg
Ami-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 02:26   Link #278
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Oh yes, mysterious transfer students are common, but the tone and style of introducing the mysterious transfer student was very Madoka.

It's to be expected that a huge hit like Madoka is going to have some impact on other animes. Just as Evangelion, and Haruhi, and Fullmetal Alchemist did.
As much as I also went "wait is this Homura....but voiced by Hanakana?AWESOME!!" I doubt Madoka was an influence,it's more like a coincidence.

The novels this are based on came out before madoka aired and this has been in developement since 2009.
Old 2012-01-09, 03:50   Link #279
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
It feels as if -- it's been a long long time since anything like that had come up. Especially with all this moe, slice-of-life stuff that had been coming out the most recent previous years.
Could not agree more, feels like it's been forever since we've had these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
Haa....

Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the Bentenmaru. Its 2-cour mission: to raid ships of their precious cargo, LEGALLY. To boldly go where no schoolgirl(daughter of two Pirate Captains) in a miniskirt has gone before....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
My new Dark Queen.

Spoiler for picture:

Haha, nice.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 05:46   Link #280
justpassingby

Spoiler for キタ―――(゜∀゜)―――!!!:

Well, I'm pretty sure it won't go "heavy" like in vol 3

Tags